Seb's manager apparently testing the market

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintly66
Club Player

Re: Seb's manager apparently testing the market

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:41pm
saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 6:51pm
B.M wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 6:45pm I don’t mind players getting bagged - justifiably

They’re pro athletes

But to carry on like he’s done nothing and is poor is ludicrous

He made the AA squad FFS

On any given weekend there are 5 x 18 (90) Mids running around in the AFL
There are about 16-20 Mids picked in the AA squad of 40
That means over a season he was rated in the top 15-20% of Mids in the AFL

Not bad for an average footballer

This carry on about being better off without him, and we’d be better off with Byrnes or Bytel next season. FFS Seb has 40 odd Brownlow votes, so judged in the best 3 on the ground many times

The other two have barely made the StK best players list

They may develop, but who’s to say either will ever be as good as Seb because both are a long way from it now.
The worst comments afaiwc, were those that denigrated or downplayed his Trevor Barker medals by saying he was just playing in poor sides. f****** insulting rubbish

Anyway BM arguing with the ignorant only brings you down to their level.
Ok. Seb was a superstar, for 50 weeks. We got ripped off with 12 other players, several players never performed, our coach was a dud and if it wasn't for Steven, he'd probably have 5 TBA's and a couple of brownlows. We should have won a flag while he Geary, Dunstan, Hickey, Longer and Max Weller were at their peak powers. Sounds about right!
Just sit there and don’t question any of it, people don’t understand that you can respect someone but always make comment on a deficiency etc. People talk about Ross like he would have been a walk up start in the Richmond side ffs.

Saintly66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:44pm I forgot Newnes. Another gun we wasted and underestimated.
We could never keep him, grown man going around gossiping about other players. Glad we got rid of him, have a difference of opinion etc with your teammates fine but don’t go around muckraking.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:53pm
Just sit there and don’t question any of it, people don’t understand that you can respect someone but always make comment on a deficiency etc. People talk about Ross like he would have been a walk up start in the Richmond side ffs.
Agree with you. I'm not a Seb Ross fan. I think he's a bit of a downhill skier. His disposal is questionable and he goes missing too readily. I don't think he would be a big loss. Saying so doesn't indicate disrespect.

If he's genuinely shopping around then the rest of the comp will tell us how he's regarded.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every player has deficiencies

Dusty Martin doesn’t defend!!!

I agree that Seb has some, but to achieve what he has, must mean he has a couple of attributes too… doesn’t it?!?!

In my time supporting StK

There has never been a more maligned player …. A player considered worse than they actually are … a whipping boy if you will!!!

Supporters just get a set on some players, it snowballs and numb nuts jump on the wagon.

To test my theory

Who is the better player (who would you rather keep?)
Battle or Ross

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:41pm
saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 6:51pm
B.M wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 6:45pm I don’t mind players getting bagged - justifiably

They’re pro athletes

But to carry on like he’s done nothing and is poor is ludicrous

He made the AA squad FFS

On any given weekend there are 5 x 18 (90) Mids running around in the AFL
There are about 16-20 Mids picked in the AA squad of 40
That means over a season he was rated in the top 15-20% of Mids in the AFL

Not bad for an average footballer

This carry on about being better off without him, and we’d be better off with Byrnes or Bytel next season. FFS Seb has 40 odd Brownlow votes, so judged in the best 3 on the ground many times

The other two have barely made the StK best players list

They may develop, but who’s to say either will ever be as good as Seb because both are a long way from it now.
The worst comments afaiwc, were those that denigrated or downplayed his Trevor Barker medals by saying he was just playing in poor sides. f****** insulting rubbish

Anyway BM arguing with the ignorant only brings you down to their level.
Ok. Seb was a superstar, for 50 weeks. We got ripped off with 12 other players, several players never performed, our coach was a dud and if it wasn't for Steven, he'd probably have 5 TBA's and a couple of brownlows. We should have won a flag while he Geary, Dunstan, Hickey, Longer and Max Weller were at their peak powers. Sounds about right!
Yeah, and who is to say he would not have been. In my view he was at least in past years, a walk up start to all 18 sides FFS. 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:54pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:44pm I forgot Newnes. Another gun we wasted and underestimated.
We could never keep him, grown man going around gossiping about other players. Glad we got rid of him, have a difference of opinion etc with your teammates fine but don’t go around muckraking.
Got any evidence to back that statement up?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:00pm
Agree with you. I'm not a Seb Ross fan. I think he's a bit of a downhill skier. His disposal is questionable and he goes missing too readily. I don't think he would be a big loss. Saying so doesn't indicate disrespect.

If he's genuinely shopping around then the rest of the comp will tell us how he's regarded.
f*** me. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And you don't consider calling him a downhill hill skier, insulting. Of course it is disrespectfully. Extremely. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:06pm Every player has deficiencies

I agree that Seb has some, but to achieve what he has, must mean he has a couple of attributes too… doesn’t it?!?!

There has never been a more maligned player …. A player considered worse than they actually are … a whipping boy if you will!!!

Supporters just get a set on some players, it snowballs and numb nuts jump on the wagon.

To test my theory

Battle or Ross
Good question.

If Dunstan, Billings, Lonie and Seb, all leave the club, who do you think will be their new whipping boy./boys.

Battle if he stays, Coffield? It seems to me some posters who call themselves supporters(I don't), have to have someone to focus their vitriol on.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:12pm

And you don't consider calling him a downhill hill skier, insulting. Of course it is disrespectfully. Extremely. :roll:
Dude you would be one of the most disrespectful people on here to people whom you don't consider measure up to your standards.
You're constantly casually calling people insulting names.
I'm not commenting about Seb Ross the human being. I'm commenting about Seb Ross the footy player. Am sure he's an excellent bloke and well loved and liked by those who know him.
We're on here to give our opinions about footy and those that play it.
That's my opinion about Seb Ross the footy player.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

To test my theory

Battle or Ross
I've seen enough of Seb to understand his strengths and inadequacies. Because you and others consistently bang on about how maligned he is doesn't mean anything is being maligned, other than your opinion.
You want to choose the topic, set the agenda for discussion and pass judgement on anyone who doesn't 100% agree with you. That's not maligning Seb and his average disposal, average decision making and outstanding athletic ability.

The best players usually win B&Fs. Seb was our best player. Forget about Battle, compare him to Dusty. Its only fair and a much better comparison between a superstar and a much maligned GOP.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:20pm

Dude you would be one of the most disrespectful people on here to people whom you don't consider measure up to your standards.
I'm not commenting about Seb Ross the human being. I'm commenting about Seb Ross the footy player. Am sure he's an excellent bloke and well loved and liked by those who know him.

Resorting to lying now are you. I never call fellow posters any names at all. Failed coaches and opposition players are a different matter and fair game

And don't call me dude.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:21pm

To test my theory

Battle or Ross
I've seen enough of Seb to understand his strengths and inadequacies. Because you and others consistently bang on about how maligned he is doesn't mean anything is being maligned, other than your opinion.
You want to choose the topic, set the agenda for discussion and pass judgement on anyone who doesn't 100% agree with you. That's not maligning Seb and his average disposal, average decision making and outstanding athletic ability.

The best players usually win B&Fs. Seb was our best player. Forget about Battle, compare him to Dusty. Its only fair and a much better comparison between a superstar and a much maligned GOP.

I think we would all acknowledge that Seb isn't in the same league as Dusty.

No one claimed he was,

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:29pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:21pm

To test my theory

Battle or Ross

I think we would all acknowledge that Seb isn't in the same league as Dusty.

No one claimed he was,
IMHO repeated reference to his B&F's, AA top 40 claims and Brownlow votes sort of does compare him with the elite.
But because it suits a certain agenda, we compare him to a completely different type, a developing kid, who appears to have the more popular game winning traits of strong marking and good disposal.

It appears we may find out who is valued more. The one in contract or the free agent. They are both up for grabs and clearly have different values. Interesting.

1 thing for sure. One's salary will get bigger and the others will get smaller.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:06pm
Battle or Ross
Two questions here.

However - who would I keep if there was only a choice of these

Ross - 28 years old
Battle - 22 years old

Not challenging for the flag next year (finals - almost certain - but not the flag)

I would go for Josh

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I might surprise a few here. Josh.

A lot more upside

If Seb leaves it's time to move on and look to the future,

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:49pm I might surprise a few here. Josh.

A lot more upside

If Seb leaves it's time to move on and look to the future,
I'm not surprised Saynta. You are loyal, not stupid.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Self reflection is hard

Never ceases to amaze me how we create people that directly engage in a behaviour like insulting players and attacking other forumites for opinions they don’t agree with…
And then condemn others for doing the same thing

I’ve noted a few very righteous people on this thread have repeatedly sunk the boots into a like Jack Lonie as of late and have been very critical of former Saints players that have accepted money elsewhere

Mercenaries was the word used IIRC.

What must they think of Seb Ross now I wonder?

Sadly, there will always be those that throw stones

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:26pm

Resorting to lying now are you. I never call fellow posters any names at all. Failed coaches and opposition players are a different matter and fair game

And don't call me dude.
Never said you call other posters insulting names.
Didn't realise calling people lying pricks or any of the other insults you come up for individuals was fine and dandy if they're not Saints players.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:47pm
B.M wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:06pm
Battle or Ross
Two questions here.

However - who would I keep if there was only a choice of these

Ross - 28 years old
Battle - 22 years old

Not challenging for the flag next year (finals - almost certain - but not the flag)

I would go for Josh
Definitely Battle. Whole career in front of him. Just needs to find his spot.

Saintly66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 9:09pm
Saintly66 wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 8:54pm
Got any evidence to back that statement up?

Haha yeah I’ll just pop it on this forum in a jiffy. Did that a while back and got ridiculed so didn’t bother again. Kosi fan ended up messaging me to apologise which I thought was nice and suggested I should keep posting but didn’t I bother. Jaxons and Tony are the messiahs and the rest of us with any sort of info are mere mortals.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 10:14pm

Self reflection is hard

Never ceases to amaze me how we create people that directly engage in a behaviour like insulting players and attacking other forumites for opinions they don’t agree with…

I’ve noted a few very righteous people on this thread have repeatedly sunk the boots into a like Jack Lonie as of late and have been very critical of former Saints players that have accepted money elsewhere

Yep self reflection is a bitch. Necessary though.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How would any player in the AFL compare to Dusty??

BTW (as an aside) he has won an Ian Stewart Medal opposed to Dusty.

Questions
Was Leigh Montagna a good player?? How did he compare to G.Ablett

And for good measure

How good was Lenny Hayes? How’d he compare to Chris Judd?!?!

Not interested in comparisons

Simple Question

Is Seb Ross a good AFL footballer?

Simple Answer

Yes he is. His career indicates he has been a very good player from 2016-19 has had two average seasons season since by his standards… but has had a role change. Those who watch footy would know this.

And who’s the bloke who called him a down hill skier?!
WTF
He stood up in some very tough times and played some great footy. Remember he finished second in the B&F in 2018 and won in 2019… oh that’s right, they don’t count, because they were poor team… but then again he won in 2017 when we won 12 games???
Oh, and he shouldn’t have won in 2019 because Marshall should have… that’s the opinions of supporters, however the coaches voted differently?!

Any way you spin it, you can’t deny a guy of his achievements!!!!

Down play them, argue against them… but you can’t take them off him.

He captained the club we love… says something in my book.

Shaggy
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 11:25pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 10:14pm

Self reflection is hard

Yep self reflection is a bitch. Necessary though.
Let us self-reflect on your comment that Seb is a bit of a down-hill skier.

Seb won 2 B&F’s when we were down the bottom so that is a conundrum already. How does a down-hill skier do that.

Last year Seb was our 2nd best player against Richmond which we lost in the most important final we have played in past 10 years.

This year Seb was in our best 4 times according to Saintsational – GWS, Geelong, Port & Melbourne – All finalists and 3 out of 4 we lost.

Seb’s record shows he generally performs when the chips are down but he is not a match winner which is why, IMO, he is not a fan favourite for some but the club rates him highly.

So if we are into self-reflecting why have you let yourself think the opposite?

I am guessing you hate the Richo era so much that you want anyone closely associated to go and make things up in your brain to justify it. But getting rid of everyone will not erase the past.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 12:15am How would any player in the AFL compare to Dusty??

BTW (as an aside) he has won an Ian Stewart Medal opposed to Dusty.

Questions
Was Leigh Montagna a good player?? How did he compare to G.Ablett

And for good measure

How good was Lenny Hayes? How’d he compare to Chris Judd?!?!

Not interested in comparisons

Simple Question

Is Seb Ross a good AFL footballer?

Simple Answer

Yes he is. His career indicates he has been a very good player from 2016-19 has had two average seasons season since by his standards… but has had a role change. Those who watch footy would know this.

And who’s the bloke who called him a down hill skier?!
WTF
He stood up in some very tough times and played some great footy. Remember he finished second in the B&F in 2018 and won in 2019… oh that’s right, they don’t count, because they were poor team… but then again he won in 2017 when we won 12 games???
Oh, and he shouldn’t have won in 2019 because Marshall should have… that’s the opinions of supporters, however the coaches voted differently?!

Any way you spin it, you can’t deny a guy of his achievements!!!!

Down play them, argue against them… but you can’t take them off him.

He captained the club we love… says something in my book.
I'm glad you're not into comparisons, you might have thrown up 20 if you were and wouldn't that drag this bulls*** on into adnauseam..
Yes. We are all aware of his achievements. Some more than others.
Let's see how the other 17 teams rate him, now he is available.
I hope he gets a huge offer that reflects his achievements and compensates us richly for our loss.
Its a long way from AA form, TBA's and Brownlows to pay cuts, testing the waters and passing the baton to the younger blokes at 28.
Dunstan's gone, Hanners probably won't play much next year anyway and we probably won't get Parker.
We will hopefully get a highly skilled top 10 midfielder, to upgrade the 2019 version of Ross eventually.
Has Gresh passed Seb in value to the team, even though he has struggled with injury for 2 years? I'm guessing the club values Gresh more seeing they decided to pay him more for longer when Seb was club champion, but I dont know.
Seb's role change, from AA top 40, 30+ possesion prime mover and TBA winner to part time tagger/mid, half back/winger might just work for another 3 years.
I think Sebs real value could be elsewhere though.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:43pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 2:04pm
saynta wrote: Mon 30 Aug 2021 9:18pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 30 Aug 2021 8:36pm The way the article reads is like Billings is more likely to stay than Ross. Ross does scon some kicks, but I would still have him in the side before Billings! I guess it comes down to what they want $$$ wise? Ross winning 2 x past BNF's (poor years) he may think he is worth more than he is?
I hate seeing former Saints captains running around in enemy colours absolutely hate it. It has happened far too many times for my liking
Like Bruce "Bulldog" Duperouzel! :roll:
Luke Ball, Stuart Trott, Bruce Duperouzel, Glen Elliott, (I think) and worst of all, Carl Ditterich.
Thanks for that Saynta, you just sent me searching for a bottle of Scotch to offset tonight's nightmare.

And you forgot Ian Stewart!

Saint supporter since '62