SSP train with

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: SSP train with

saint6709 wrote: Fri 10 Dec 2021 8:43pm Have we not invited anyone to train ?

we have 2 spare spots and a GLARING need for a ready to go KPD - so it surprises me no one ‘speculative’ is training

We have ( seemingly) done very well in the mid season draft but we’ve also done very well I think with the ‘train with ‘ and draft and we in my opinion have a very real need right now for a kpd who is ready to play - so I’m surprised we don’t have anyone invited to train - is it just me thinking this way ?
Yep. They have you covered

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope hes a good kick

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the hun.

"The Bombers and St Kilda are the only two AFL clubs with two list vacancies, while Carlton, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Sydney and West Coast have one each.

The Saints have brought in Woodville-West Torrens utility Jack Hayes, who is regarded as arguably the SANFL’s best player

He captained the league’s representative team against the WAFL and kicked three goals in the 53-point victory.

Hayes, who stands 192cm, also finished equal-third in the Magarey Medal and won the Jack Oatey medal as the best player afield in the Eagles’ grand final triumph over Glenelg.

He averaged almost 20 disposals, eight marks and seven score involvements, on top of kicking 22 goals in 20 matches."

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I've seen him listed as 192, 193 and 194. Either way he is a big solid unit and is the best contested mark in the SANFL comp at either end of the ground, loves a leap, pinch hits in the ruck and gets plenty of the pill.
He is no speedster so I hope he has an AFL tank. Nice prospect.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From glengowan off BF, obviously a SANFL watcher -

"It's a bit of a mystery how he hasn't been picked up yet. He's easily the most influential player in the SANFL comp.

Start of his career he was a key forward with a really strong pair of hands - especially in a pack situation. Kicking for goal a bit iffy - but would create enough chances and work hard enough to always be of value. Perhaps 192cm, not being overly dynamic and being pigeon holed in the one position put AFL clubs off?

The last couple of years he has spent a lot of time as 2nd Ruck as well as a forward and pretty much has roamed where he likes, drifting forward to still kick a couple of goals a game, but being much more influential in play, behind the play and basically just influencing a game as he sees fit. His fitness has improved and he has shown his creativity by both foot and hand up the field to be just as valuable as being able to clunk a mark up forward.

Probably will be a similar type player to Collingwood's Brody Mihocek at AFL level.

Just one of those players you put on the park and he'll do his job and will himself to make an impact on the game. Very courageous with his attack on the ball both in the air and on the ground, hasn't missed many games through injury and has shown he can still play well with discomfort, winning the Jack Oatey medal last year despite playing with a leg fracture he sustained in a training session leading up to the Grand Final. An absolute gun at SANFL level - I hope he gets his chance. No reason he can't transfer his game to AFL level. When it comes to ticker and game awareness he is already elite and his size means he won't get pushed around."

SANFL GF where he starred -

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Does he have decent disposal?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 15 Dec 2021 10:33pm Does he have decent disposal?
He has really quick and proactive hands (elite). He is not quick nor agile and the way he moves reminds me of a smaller version of Michael Gardiner. Having said that he is a nice kick and great mark. For his size he is also very affective rucking, although he doesnt jump a lot in ruck contests - he more likes to use his body to get leverage. He is strong through his hips and legs, how that package equates to the AFL only time will tell.

The other player who impressed in that game was James Tsitas from the Eagles. He shared the Magarey Medal Award with Bryce Gibbs this year. Its interesting that Jack Hayes was only 1 vote behind in the count. Tsitas reminded me of a quicker more aggressive/tackling Lachie Neale, but I believe GCS have arranged for him to train with them in the new year.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 15 Dec 2021 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Just going off highlights and the whole game in the 2021 grand final, 55/45 kick/handball, 60% accuracy in the field, 52% goal kicking but very good decision making and timing in tight, and very clever 1%ers, giving the impression his peripheral awareness is first class
Does the team thing first, doesn't seem to hang on to the ball too long and looks like the type who gives runners around him lots of confidence he will get the ball.
2021 stats average 19.7d, 7.7 marks, 2.8 contested marks, 8 hits out, 1 goal. Also does well with clearances and fwd entries and looked like a strong intercept mark when floating back in the ruck.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 15 Dec 2021 11:00pm
He has really quick and proactive hands (elite). He is not quick nor agile and the way he moves reminds me of a smaller version of Michael Gardiner. Having said that he is a nice kick and great mark. For his size he is also very affective rucking, although he doesnt jump a lot in ruck contests - he more likes to use his body to get leverage. He is strong through his hips and legs, how that package equates to the AFL only time will tell.

The other player who impressed in that game was James Tsitas from the Eagles. He shared the Magarey Medal Award with Bryce Gibbs this year. Its interesting that Jack Hayes was only 1 vote behind in the count. Tsitas reminded me of a quicker more aggressive/tackling Lachie Neale, but I believe GCS have arranged for him to train with them in the new year.
I remember Tsitas having a lot of hype in his draft year but I think his iffy disposal put AFL clubs off. He was a very influential player in the games I saw and I was hoping we'd consider him with a late pick.

Ratts loves a tall utility so Hayes would have to be a good chance. There's going to be a lot of competition for spots in the category of 192cm-ish fringe player without a set position.

damienc
Club Player

Like the look of Hayes. Really hope we offer him a spot.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Another good marking game from Hayes -

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Either way, our S.A. talent scout has my vote. He certainly knows a mature ager (>21) ripe for the picking.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It looks like he’ll get his chance.