Intraclub game this afternoon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Intraclub game this afternoon

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 17 Feb 2022 6:46pm
Banger9798 wrote: Thu 17 Feb 2022 6:39pm Oh and Cooper Sharman...if I had a duffle jacket (and was 40 years younger) I'd be sticking his number on it.

Don't worry about his training form, he plays when he plays!
The next best thing would be to sponsor him!

We still have a couple of shares.
How much is a share, PM me.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CarlD
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 9:52am The bits I watched on the live stream didn't fill me with confidence I have to say. Mostly to do with disposal. Lots of kicks into F50 going over heads, too many bombs and hit and hopes. Some of the younger fellas are exciting and am still optimistic about the season ahead. Our disposal though did not seem to have improved and that forward entry plan of going wide to the flanks and pockets....hmmmmmm. Game plan looks the same. Caveat is I only watched less than a half.
Only saw about a half of the match as well but the forward delivery was average and the forwards didn't seem to be trying to lead up. There were too many players flying in marking contests.

Max King copped a couple of knocks in the last quarter and was slow to get up. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a corky or two.

Zac Jones played very well and seemed to be in "Angry Ant" mode mowing down his teammates.

Would like to see more of Lienert against the Blues but was handy in this match. Same can be said for Windhager and Max Heath.

Hunter Clark was quiet and will need to get moving or others will pass him by (could be argued Windhager and Owens are already ahead based on yesterday).

Overall, I had hoped for better disposal (more Sinclair-like!) even though it is still early in the season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jones, Crouch and Sinclair easily the best three on the ground, followed up by Hill, Byrnes, Bytel, Hayes and Sharman.

With Billings, Hannebery and Ryder all possibles for round one, it's going to be hard to get a game.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:48pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 9:52am
... too many players flying in marking contests.

I wonder if the players are mostly interested standing out to the coaches by winning their assigned contests, rather than paddling the big team boat forward?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 11:27am
st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 9:52am …..Lots of kicks into F50 going over heads,….
Don’t worry, it’s a common problem this time of year.

Cold balls and hot air.

The balls are stored in cooler air and then the summer field temperature rises up and the air gets way less dense.

If you’d stayed for the second half it might have been better.

Cold balls, hot air.
Apparently the hot air also causes the balls to drop suddenly

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

From my viewing of game Bytel is in round 1 before Seb

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 1:16pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 9:52am …..Lots of kicks into F50 going over heads,….

Cold balls and hot air.

The balls are stored in cooler air and then the summer field temperature rises up and the air gets way less dense.

Cold balls, hot air.
Guess then that there would be a lot of very low ball bags around here. :wink: 8-)

Saintmike65
Club Player

Just have to say how magnificent the RSEA park oval looks, reckon you could play lawn bowls on it!
As far as the game went, looks like Corey Enright has stamped his fingerprints all over the defensive unit.
The collective of Battle, Howard, Joyce, Wilkie, Sinclair, Hill, Paton, and Webster were superb for their respective teams...Allison and Adams also showed glimpses.
The team defense was also evident, as players were constantly put under pressure all over the ground, with the Nick Walsh mantra of running and wresting coming to the fore with a seemingly harder edge on display.
I just hope that both Owens and Windhager get more game time in the next 2 weeks, as I like what they bring at such a young age.
NWM didn't do a lot but his poise and class is exactly what we need, with Heath's combativeness on show up against Marshall.
What I want to see is St. Kilda being hard to play against, with opposition coming from the ground very sore, knowing they were up against a fierce opponent.
Just to finish, must give a special mention to Ryan Byrnes, if he stays healthy will be the big improver for 2022.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 1:19pm

Cold balls and hot air.

Cold balls, hot air.
Guess then that there would be a lot of very low ball bags around here. :wink: 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 1:17pm From my viewing of game Bytel is in round 1 before Seb
Yeah, think I might have to agree with you there, He didn't do himself any favours but wasn't horrible despite what has been posted here.

Seb and Peris were the only two guys not to get a mention by the saints tv guy.

Peris didn't disgrace himself by the way.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Also, I was very impressed with Battle in defence and while intra club praccie matches are a bit like dancing with your sister I thought he easily beat his opponent , which for part of the game was King.

Clark was a bit down on the day.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 1:19pm

Cold balls and hot air.

Cold balls, hot air.

Yes, Zac Jones had a day out. Very good below the knees. Unfortunately, it hurt high reaching giraffe King, and his knees, and it helped Battle, who is vertically challenged.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 11:08am Even in 2007 to 2010 intra club practice matches were garbage. It's nothing new
It's like dancing with your sister

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I tuned in just before half time.
I spent most of summer wondering whether Sharman was the real deal or just a flash in the pan. The kid has very natural instincts around goal. Forget about the 2 dud kicks he had in defence , the front half of the ground is where he belongs. He can take a mark, and has the uncanny knack of finding space. He is going to be the perfect foil for King. Wouldn’t surprise me if he averages a couple of goals a game from here on in.

Liked what I saw of Heath in the ruck. Yes he is a couple, of seasons away from becoming a regular and probably a couple more seasons after that before he becomes dominant. But he got his hand to quite a few of the ruck taps, and he looks mobile enough. He has the tools, just needs to build his tank and muscle.
Likewise NWM - he does look like silk when he does have ball in hand even though he barely touched it. This year will be a learning year for him also but gee whiz if he can pickup 20-25 touches in a game on a regular basis then the forwards will be licking their lips.
Peris another who barely got near it, but there was one passage of play where he hit a pack at speed and was out and away with the ball before anyone had time to react . You can see how he could use that speed as a weapon and why we rookied him.

Jones, Sinclair and Hill all looked a class above, and Gresh showed a couple of flashes of brilliance. If they all stay on the park , we will look a much more polished outfit this year.

I saw plenty of green shoots.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.