Robbo on St Kilda's Succession Plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Robbo on St Kilda's Succession Plan

From today's The Australian, by Mark Robinson:

"Here’s a first for footy: A succession plan for a chief executive.

At least one that has been made public. This seems to be a strong thread in St Kilda’s new-age DNA — to be transparent and honest and open and accepting and, all the while, bringing the members along for the ride.

It’s the “Nice Saints”, and under outgoing chief executive Matt Finnis the Saints certainly were a nice football club.

The timing of the announcement on Thursday of Finnis’ departure at the end of the season, when he will be replaced by current head of football Simon Lethlean — just a week out from the start of the season — seems to be another warm and cuddly decision.

The AFL also welcomed the succession plan and believes Lethlean, who was sacked by AFL in 2017 after having a relationship with a younger staff member, has worked diligently in the St Kilda football space and is deserving of the role at the Saints.

The timing though? A week short of Round 1 versus Collingwood?
And, beyond that, why have a succession plan at all?
Why not elevate Lethlean immediately and let him plot the club’s future?

Finnis said last night he was staying on because he had projects to finish.

There was speculation Collingwood, however, was interested in enticing Lethlean to join them, possibly as chief executive, and if that were the case, maybe the Saints were forced to act or lose him.

But, after eight years, maybe the time was right for Finnis and St Kilda to traverse different paths.

Whatever the situation, the decision and announcement might add yet another layer of distraction and uncertainty for a footy club about to enter a pivotal season for out-of-contract coach Brett Ratten.

Successions can create confusion and sometimes bitterness. Look at Essendon with coaches John Worsfold and Ben Rutten. Look at Collingwood with Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley. Look at the circus that surrounded the Alastair Clarkson and Sam Mitchell deal.

This decision has been made at management level so it’s different and less intrusive on the players, but two heads in the one job — in this case outgoing and incoming — can create tension.

If there’s tension over ownership of the role, then Ratten’s job becomes even more challenging. The positive is both Finnis and Lethlean are huge supporters of the coach.

“I think ‘Ratts’ is a terrific coach and I fully expect that he will be the coach of this footy club for a long time to come,” Finnis told SEN last month.
Still, Finnis’ transparent and open approach suggested Ratten needed help.

The Saints appointed former Melbourne Victory coach Ernie Merrick to a mentoring role to support Ratten.

“Ultimately, there are some areas that ‘Ratts’ knows we want him to focus on as part of his growth and development, and we’ll put the support around him to do that,’’ Finnis said.

The Saints disagreed that these comments could have unnecessarily highlighted publicly any weaknesses in Ratten’s coaching.

“It’s even better that he (Merrick) is not an expert in our game I reckon, because what he’s focusing on is really all about how ‘Ratts’ is going in the arts of coaching,’’ Finnis said.

Still, it is rare for a chief executive to be so transparent with information most clubs keep inside the tent.
“If’’ is the prevailing word at the Saints this year.

Because “if” Ratten doesn’t succeed to the board’s expectations, then Clarkson will have the kitchen sink thrown at him by president Andrew Bassat.

It just might be the challenge Clarkson desires, to be the coach to deliver St Kilda its second flag.
Since Allan Jeans in 1966, 14 coaches have tried and come up short.

If Ratten was to win this year’s premiership, it would be a football miracle.

Before the season even starts, he has lost Nick Coffield (ACL), Hunter Clark (AC joint) and Jack Billings (hamstring).

On top of that, Zak Jones (personal reasons), Jarryn Geary (shoulder) and Paddy Ryder (achilles) are on the sidelines, and one-time star Dan Hannebery continues to gain votes in the poll of worst recruits of this century.

Over summer — and in fact it was first set in stone at a full football department review when in Sydney midway through last year — the Saints set about improving or increasing their resolve as a footy team.

It centred on mental and physical demands and Saints insiders say the group as a whole was supremely fit and confident this pre-season.
But that “if’’ word dogs the team.

It’s if they don’t have injuries like last season

It’s if Jones returns. If Ryder is fit. If Jade Greshman gets to levels expected. If Max King takes the next step. If Brad Hill cuts it on a back flank. If Jack Steele gets help in the middle. If Rowan Marshall continues the trajectory to stardom. If Josh Battle can hold down a key back position. If the kids can stand up …

And, most of all, if the Saints are mentally and physically tough enough.

The Finnis years will be deemed successful off the field.

Indeed, with his nine years at AFLPA plus eight years at St Kilda, Finnis has been an excellent contributor to the game.

Unquestionably, he took over at the Saints when a cultural overhaul was needed.

He marshalled the return to Moorabbin and provided a cultural home with the Danny Frawley Centre, two significantly historical moves for the famous footy club.

On the field, the Saints have plodded along.

Their biggest games of each season are the Pride game and Maddie’s match, two hugely successful and important occasions, and Finnis will be remembered as a strong social justice chief executive.

It remains to be seen if the Saints, under Lethlean, can continue to be social warriors but also a ruthless, strong and finals-winning football club.

The fans certainly want the latter
."

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robbo on St Kilda's Succession Plan

The FFF is up to his usual antics sticking the boot into the saints. Pity he didn't retire last year.

Anyway, already a thread on the fool's rantings.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Robbo....yobbo......slobbo.....gobbo. The man who regularly stinks of dim sims, sausage rolls, and beer....all at once. Trust me, I've seen him at my local shopping centre and I can vouch for it.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Low brow speculative, nonsense waffle.

But I find the unintended irony, that working diligently for the Saints absolves a sinner, somewhat amusing.

Given Robbos outstanding industry rep guys like Hird and Thommo should be begging for a gig soon? Perhaps personal trainers to Dan?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading that

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Pure nonsensical fluff written by a person who has used more luck to still being around to be paid for this crap than Rodney Marsh, Shane Warne and Kimberley Kitching had in their lifetimes. Keep away from the Four'n Twentys and go looking for real stories Robbo.

Saint supporter since '62
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Robbo is an idiot.

He draws extremely long bow, comparing CEO to coaches.
Players have daily interaction with the coach.
The coach is the key figure who pretty much drives the team.

A CEO just runs the finances etc, and works in the background.
The Slob is really stretching a long way.
He's a joke

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 7:46pm Just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading that
Thanks for the heads up

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 5:05pm Robbo....yobbo......slobbo.....gobbo. The man who regularly stinks of dim sims, sausage rolls, and beer....all at once. Trust me, I've seen him at my local shopping centre and I can vouch for it.
You forgot to mention smokes. Even his supercilious sanctimonious mate complains of the ciggies stink

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

His paragraph of "If" statements was the part where the bile actually exited my mouth. Be honest Robbo, who couldn't list a dozen "If"s for each AFL club for them to have a successful season?

Let me try...

If Essendon improve by a fifth of the hype they receive from the media, they may win a final.

See Robbo, not hard. That's not even starting on the players like... If that showbag Stringer finds consistency he will make up for an inconsistent Essendon attack.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The ramblings of a 'fool'. The club has never been more professionally run and Robbo tries to create a story out of nothing. Sometimes the club must think they are 'damned if you do and doomed if you dont'.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I always refer to robbo as FF which stands for fat f***, but since the AFL and people in general are against body shaming, I will now refer to robbo as FF but with it standing for f****** fool.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 4:14pm
Pity he didn't retire last year.
Just Bumping this thread because I saw Robbo on AFL360 tonight

Don't think he looks too healthy.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Is Whately loosing patience with Robbo? Tired of carrying him?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone who thinks Robbo's opinion means something should seriously look at what really matters in their life & move on just another journo pushing his own barrow

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

…and his own barrow is sometimes an agenda that has been formulated by his employer

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 3:07am …and his own barrow is sometimes an agenda that has been formulated by his employer
Good point :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 12:06pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 3:07am …and his own barrow is sometimes an agenda that has been formulated by his employer
Good point :wink:
Can't stand the FF and to make matters worse he is a drug cheats supporter.

Killa
Club Player

It is my opinion that the journalist quoted has no knowledge of the St Kilda Football Club - and, worse, lifts his opinion from the uneducated comments we see on this site from certain so called supporters of the Club

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 3:02pm It is my opinion that the journalist quoted has no knowledge of the St Kilda Football Club - and, worse, lifts his opinion from the uneducated comments we see on this site from certain so called supporters of the Club
Love your post. So right. :wink:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Hope the next step is he interviews a couple of posters live.

SunnyE v Robbo on dropping Hill could be a marquee pay for view event and drinking game.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

He always come across like he is the guy propping up the end of the bar and spewing his opinion of every topic even though everyone just ignores him.
I watched last night and I thought that he had been drinking at the start of the show because he came across as a little tired and confused.