Team for round 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Team for round 2

Lienert only played 23 games across 3 yrs or so.
Couldn't cement a spot in the Power team.
His average AF scores were average, above average, and 'elite', which maybe goes to show that you can't just look at stats and hang your hat on them.
But I think we need another tall in the backline, because Howard quite often struggles, and I think he's over-rated.
Battle, we know he's like Butler, had some nice games in the past but is now just a shadow.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 9:54am
skeptic wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 8:39am If Lienert comes in… surely he comes in for Battle right? Otherwise what’s the point!
If Sharman comes in and starts playing as a defender suddenly then we’ve really lost the point

On NWM, I feel fairly optimistic that you could bring him in and place him on a HBF and let Sinclair go into the middle. I think it was GT that really liked to debut mods on the HBF because the ball came to them as opposed to them chasing the contest/play and that was a good spot to adjust to the pace.
+ Sinclair IMO needs to transition into a quality mid as opposed to a flanker.

Flanks are mids that need to be a touch more offensive/defensive based on the side of the ground they’re on… that either can’t run out the game in the middle or get the ball due to style.

Sinclair has neither problem.
He’s a got mid and he needs to be damaging where it matters most.
Let guys like Coffield, Billings and Clark (in general I mean as we know their injured) play on flank as they’re not natural mids.

Let NWM be accountable to a man, with no pressure to win the ball and the opportunity to use his skills and composure if he does get it
I disagree re Clark. I think he could turn out be our best midfielder and our most important player. He was having an impact as a mid last year before his jaw was broken and he played very well as a mid in the game against Essendon in the Community series.

I can’t see Battle being replaced and I don’t think Lienert will play. Campbell and Lienert will be emergencies imo.

I like the idea of NWM at HBF but wouldn’t mind if he’s playing on a wing. It will be interesting to see the final starting 22.
I’m certainly not arguing that Clark can’t be a mdifielder… he certainly has the attributes… am just saying that at this point he’s not there yet. Questions are out there regarding his tank.
For me… if one of Sinclair or Clark is to make that transition now, it makes more sense for Sinclair to be the permanent mid expected to elevate his role/performance to permanent mid standard… and Clark to be a player that pushes into the middle and spends time as a mid but not be a permanent fixture there yet.

He hasn’t demonstrated that kind of consistency in any position as yet. To be clear, I’m not knocking the guy… Clark in my opinion is a star in the making but I think it’s unrealistic to pencil him in as a viable answer to our mid woes as yet.

On Battle… I was just responding to the comment that it would be horrendous for Lienert to come in ahead of Cooper.
To me, they’re not competing for the same position. Lienert is a back and Cooper has been a forward. Surely if Lienert comes in, it would be to play Battle’s role. If that’s the case then pbly Battle gets dropped.
I agree with you however that IMO it’s absurdly soon to end the Battle experiment.

If Coop comes in, it needs to be as a marking forward type role. I’d be filthy if he’s all of a sudden playing defence

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Thanks skeptic. All good valid points

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

IN: Lienert (new), Joyce
OUT: Howard (AFL Health & Safety Protocols), Kent (omitted), Owens (omitted)
NVM not listed as an in because he was sub last week.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1085660/ ... -head-west

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Gershwin
Club Player

And so it comes to this.
Key defenders: Battle, Joyce and maybe Wilkie and Lienert.
We knew it was coming and the club has refused to add a tall key defender to the list.
Let’s find out whether they know what they are doing.

summertime and the living is easy ........
amusingname
Club Player

Looks like SunnyErnie and GT will be storming linton st Monday morning.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

amusingname wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 5:13pm Looks like SunnyErnie and GT will be storming linton st Monday morning.
As far as I'm concerned Ratts' career is over at the Saints. How the f*** can you pick a rookie who we only just signed and another new 18 year old (after what happened to Owens last week), and expect to win. Especially on a trip to WA? This is the weakest team we have put on the park in at least 8 years. Sharman, Long and Highmore should be in the team. Only a miracle will see us win.

Over to you GT. I hope you go in on Monday and pull the place apart FFS. We are heading for a bottom 2 finish. I can't believe that this is happening FMD.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
lloyd21
Club Player

Well deserved call up for Joyce had outstanding preseason ..pity Long not rewarded either .

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I'm bewildered. Why play Joyce AND Leinert?. That's four tall defenders. Bizarre.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 5:49pm I'm bewildered. Why play Joyce AND Leinert?. That's four tall defenders. Bizarre.
I'll tell you why, because Ratts has no f****** idea. That's why.

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 5:46pm Well deserved call up for Joyce had outstanding preseason ..pity Long not rewarded either .
Long, Sharman, Highmore and Campbell are all traveling west as the emergencies,one of who will be included as the medical emergency.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 5:33pm
amusingname wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 5:13pm Looks like SunnyErnie and GT will be storming linton st Monday morning.
As far as I'm concerned Ratts' career is over at the Saints. How the f*** can you pick a rookie who we only just signed and another new 18 year old (after what happened to Owens last week), and expect to win. Especially on a trip to WA? This is the weakest team we have put on the park in at least 8 years. Sharman, Long and Highmore should be in the team. Only a miracle will see us win.

Over to you GT. I hope you go in on Monday and pull the place apart FFS. We are heading for a bottom 2 finish. I can't believe that this is happening FMD.
:roll: :roll:

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 6:37pm

If you don't agree with me that's fine but what is the point of just rolling your eyes?

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 6:47pm

If you don't agree with me that's fine but what is the point of just rolling your eyes?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 6:48pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 6:47pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
17,775 posts

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am doing more than just posting "rolly eyes". I am reporting every post from you where you put s*** on the coach, the club or any of its officials. Two so far.

Clear breaches of the rules .17,776 posts now. 8-)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

lloyd21 wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 5:46pm Well deserved call up for Joyce had outstanding preseason ..pity Long not rewarded either .
VFL review, said that Joyce 'had an okay game, he didn't have that synergy with the backs when the ball was in the air.'
And Tom Highmore was 'probably our most influential throughout the game, he was impressive'.

So we put in a guy who's fringe at the best and his last game he had no connection with his team-mates, and we might include a guy who was the best Sandy player last week.
Selection committee not listening to Batchelor.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I really hope Darcy doesn't play for Fremantle because if he does and he gives their midfield an armchair ride we will be chasing Fremantle jumpers all evening.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 6:59pm I am doing more than just posting "rolly eyes". I am reporting every post from you where you put s*** on the coach, the club or any of its officials. Two so far.

I'm not putting s*** on anyone Saynta. I am only giving me opinion. Isn't that the point of a Fan forum? If you don't like my opinions/posts either don't read them or place me on your Foe list.

But something tells me you will not do that because you just want to stir up trouble.

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 25 Mar 2022 6:59pm I am doing more than just posting "rolly eyes". I am reporting every post from you where you put s*** on the coach, the club or any of its officials. Two so far.

And by the way, your above post is baiting but I am not reporting it.

NeXus
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Last chance Ernie. Any further bickering / baiting will result in a suspension.
Please guys, stick to talking about the footy. Leave the personal comments alone.
Thanks.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah you barstards. :shock:

Ps. Ernie wasn’t the only one stirring the pot

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 26 Mar 2022 5:07pm Yeah you barstards. :shock:

8-) :wink:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 26 Mar 2022 5:07pm Yeah you barstards. :shock:

Well aware of that. Talk about the footy.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I'm thinking we might be playing ducks and drakes and we will get a Sharman for Leinert late change

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi