Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross

The best performed whipping boy in the history of the club

His 3rd quarter today helped drag us back in it… and those who watch both offensive and defensive footy would understand what I’m talking about!!!

This bulls*** about getting rid of him and playing kids

Compare Owens or Wanganeen’s games to his today!

28 possessions

The ONLY time a kid should take his spot, is if he can perform better and can handle the heat in the kitchen

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

The goals to Crouch and Mason Wood also helped drag us back into it

There were a few up and unders from Sebby, but yeah… he played well today.

Loved the DMac and Mason Wood’s game.

Our leaders stood up with special mentions to Ross, Steele and Membrey.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Like many, his first half was poor, his second half was excellent.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Fair call, he played really well yesterday.
Terrific gut running.
I think what frustrates many here, and myself included, is the stop, prop and sideways kick that slows down movement.
He noticeably didn't do that yesterday.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The example and standard he set the side in the third quarter should be the average for a two time Club Champion. I was inspired so can only imagine his team mates and our coaching staff were.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Seb's three games this season have been all above par

1st...good, 2nd...very good, 3rd...excellent.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

His first half poor?

He had 15 in the first half

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:14am His first half poor?

And I reckon half of those were handballs to players less than two metres away, who were immediately tackled. He wasn't alone in doing that though.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 10:28am Fair call, he played really well yesterday.
Terrific gut running.
I think what frustrates many here, and myself included, is the stop, prop and sideways kick that slows down movement.
He noticeably didn't do that yesterday.
Then he gets the he just bombs it forward he cant win. Sometimes you need to kick it sideways to give our forward line a chance to get back.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Anything I suppose to downplay his performance

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:24am Anything I suppose to downplay his performance
Been going on for years and is really sick making.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He really stood up with Couch & Steele and did the grunt stuff in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:23am

And I reckon half of those were handballs to players less than two metres away, who were immediately tackled. He wasn't alone in doing that though.
I suggest you - and the other posters offering comments along the lines of "we only played well for one and a half quarters" - need to watch the replay. The whole team, including Seb, played well in the first half. We generally had the better of play until about five minutes before half time, but the Tigers were ahead on the scoreboard because they were extremely effective in turning forward entries into opportunities and then converting those opportnities into goals. In the second half, our defence tightened and the Tigers' attack began to run out of steam. And then our midfield and forwards started to get on top.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:24pm

I suggest you - and the other posters offering comments along the lines of "we only played well for one and a half quarters" - need to watch the replay. The whole team, including Seb, played well in the first half. We generally had the better of play until about five minutes before half time, but the Tigers were ahead on the scoreboard because they were extremely effective in turning forward entries into opportunities and then converting those opportnities into goals. In the second half, our defence tightened and the Tigers' attack began to run out of steam. And then our midfield and forwards started to get on top.
The Tiges were really effective at scoring from turnovers so still a lot of work to do in that space.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:28pm

The Tiges were really effective at scoring from turnovers so still a lot of work to do in that space.
Ratten made the observation at his press conference that the Tigers had come out at a million miles an hour and that we had tried to go with them, and consequently made quite a few mistakes by attempting to move the ball forward too quickly. He felt he had managed to correct that at half time, and that had made a big difference. We certainly hit our targets much more consistently in the second half: I can't remember the last time I saw us do this so well.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

You really only have to follow the scoreline and the matchday thread to see the PTSD that has been experienced on this forum.
We competed all day.
While they scored from turnover, so did we. That was the pace of the game. When the game was there to be won, we scored 10 goals to 1.
Lots of Piss and wind blown around over a top 30 list who haven’t played much football as a complete unit, and that still have some considerable talent still unavailable.
PTSD or just plain ignorance.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We come back quite often but fail to score goals.
Last night is what it looks like when we kick straight and stamp our foot on their throats.
Hopefully we have turned a corner.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:41pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:28pm

Ratten made the observation at his press conference that the Tigers had come out at a million miles an hour and that we had tried to go with them, and consequently made quite a few mistakes by attempting to move the ball forward too quickly. He felt he had managed to correct that at half time, and that had made a big difference. We certainly hit our targets much more consistently in the second half: I can't remember the last time I saw us do this so well.
The skills looked much better didn't they. I haven't watched the replay yet however with my beers goggles on they looked clean and precise with ball in hand watching in real time.

Sanctorum
Club Player

OK, I've not been a Seb Ross fan but readily acknowledge that he played a crucial role in yesterday's win over Richmond and if he maintains that standard the team will go a long way to contend for finals this year.

Similarly Dan McKenzie, I had written him off a couple of years ago, never expected him to ever become the player he is today, but he has really stamped himself as very good quality and thoroughly deserves to be in best 22.....just shows that for some St Kilda players it takes an extraordinarily long time to get to the top level.

Mason Wood is another one who is often maligned but in my mind he performs a really important role, he can play anywhere, forward, wing, defence and that excellent goal he snapped from a single step just outside the 50 was key to the succeeding onslaught.

Can we hope for the same from Jack Billings???

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I've watched the replay, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Say what you like about how we played in the first half, if we'd continued in that fashion, we'd have lost. As you mention, we made adjustments, players lifted, and we won comfortably. You don't win games conceding 5 goals a quarter, you do when conceding 1.5 a quarter. We had an ok first quarter (minus the first minute), a poor second quarter, and an excellent second half. Not sure what you're asking me to find the replay?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:26am
B.M wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 11:24am Anything I suppose to downplay his performance
Been going on for years and is really sick making.
Aren’t you the guy that said he was no longer top 22 following the intra club game and should only be used for depth?