Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Changes for next week

Higgins out with compulsory concussion
Hayes great heart and work ethic but we were too top heavy up forward and lack of tackles in the forward 50 showed this.

As much as not a fan of Long he keeps his spot as performed well without trying to do too much and didn't just go around giving away unnecessary frees.

Probably looking at the emergencies then as next off the rank :
- Sharman
- Brynes

not sure of Sandy performances but saw they won?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for next week

Sharman got injured. Corked thigh. Byrnes was just okay.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Higgins out. Long starting 22
Windy or Owens as the sub based on their games with Sandringham

In a way you'd prefer Bytel and those younger guys to keep playing in the 2's rather than sitting on the bench all day as the medical sub, but it's also important to reward them for their efforts
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:29pm Higgins out. Long starting 22
Windy or Owens as the sub
Tick.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Long for Higgins the only change unless someone pulls up sore
Interesting to see how NWM’s ankle comes up. If no good then may get a look.
Kent the medi-sub.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:32pm Long for Higgins the only change unless someone pulls up sore
Interesting to see how NWM’s ankle comes up. If no good then may get a look.
Kent the medi-sub.
Am curious Zed. What do you see in Kent that warrants him even having a chance to get a senior game?

spert
Saintsational Legend

No change except Long for Higgins.

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:48pm Am curious Zed. What do you see in Kent that warrants him even having a chance to get a senior game?
Despite all of us being baffled, he keeps getting games. Obviously Ratts & co see him doing something that none of us can

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Long for Higgins.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

therabbitinthehat wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 6:02pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 5:48pm Am curious Zed. What do you see in Kent that warrants him even having a chance to get a senior game?
Despite all of us being baffled, he keeps getting games. Obviously Ratts & co see him doing something that none of us can
Yeah I have no idea why they haven't just put a line through his name. Long for Higgins the only change. Byrnes or Bytel the sub.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

therabbitinthehat wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 6:02pm
That’s called a hallucination

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Long comes into the 22. Leo Connolly the sub

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

As per everyone else Long for Higgins & Bytel as the sub. Hawks have been pretty good so far so we will need to be switched on from the first bounce .

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:20pm
Hayes great heart and work ethic but we were too top heavy up forward and lack of tackles in the forward 50 showed this.

- Sharman

How does Sharman for Hayes address that? Sharman 8 tackles in 4 games. Hayes 7 in 3.

Sharman purely an outside player. Hayes more physical.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:20pm Higgins out with compulsory concussion

As much as not a fan of Long he keeps his spot as performed well without trying to do too much and didn't just go around giving away unnecessary frees.

- Sharman
- Brynes

If kicking 64 un answered points in 1.5 quarters is because we were top heavy then I like top heavy. Hayes looks like he sacrifices his game to draw defenders and give King space. And he was taking marks and having shots on goal himself and being aggressive and getting up in the grille of the opposition.

At the moment I prefer Hayes over Sharman becaue I think it gives our forwad set-up better shape.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

No Kent. When he plays, we lose (probably not fact, but it feels like it).

Out: Higgins
In: Long
Med Sub: Byrnes but would like to see Windhager get a guernsey

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The current Hawks dramas about Rioli and racism.
Will that affect the Hawks and ruin their prep, or will it harden their resolve and make them tougher?

If the Hawks beat us, we won't be able to point to that alone, it will be a few things.

But I hope it hurts their headspace and makes them fumble and stuff up

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 9:58pm
older saint wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:20pm Higgins out with compulsory concussion

- Sharman
- Brynes

If kicking 64 un answered points in 1.5 quarters is because we were top heavy then I like top heavy. Hayes looks like he sacrifices his game to draw defenders and give King space. And he was taking marks and having shots on goal himself and being aggressive and getting up in the grille of the opposition.

At the moment I prefer Hayes over Sharman becaue I think it gives our forwad set-up better shape.
Hayes has that strut and aggression and street-smarts that Sharman won't have for a few years, if ever.
Sharman has the tools but we really need the Hayes 'nightclub bouncer' attitude that makes oppo look over their shoulders.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I suspect the club would like to have one more agile, hard-tackiling player up forward against the Hawks (and several other sides, for that matter). If Higgins wasn't injured, I suspect we might have seen both Long and Higgins in the side at the expene of Hayes.

But, as things stand, Hayes might survive for lack of an alternative. I guess the only viable option would be to bring someone else into the midfield and move Gresham up forward. Bytel has never done much for me and Byrnes seems to have gone slightly backwards this year. I don't know much about the other younger players.

So I reckon Hayes might keep his spot, which leaves us a little lght on in terms of countering attacks out of the Hawks' backline. But that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It's interesting, I'm not sure Hawthorn's run out of defence is any more dangerous than Richmond's. I'm curious to know why after our best win in some time & our best scoring game for some time why our forward set up is the issue?

Surely the more dangerous your forward line the more accountability (& less run) is put on the opposition defence.

If our midfield, half forwards and half backs set up correctly the opposition run into a brick wall, turn the ball over and our players get to kick to marking targets.

Long for Higgins

One of Owens, Windhager, Connolly or Byrnes for medi-sub

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 2:13am
Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 9:58pm

- Sharman
- Brynes

Hayes has that strut and aggression and street-smarts that Sharman won't have for a few years, if ever.
Sharman has the tools but we really need the Hayes 'nightclub bouncer' attitude that makes oppo look over their shoulders.
Luuuurve the Hayes strut and aggression, I have completely convinced myself that this list is a soft bunch of self entitled bruise free kick getters and as such I happy to have a player in the side who might be a complete spud but just has a sharp edge about him and teaches the players around him to walk tall and play hard. (btw I'm not saying Hayes is a spud, just being colourful with my illustration). So if that is Hayes then he's my man.

For the record I am still in the front row of the Stevie Baker fan club. If we are going to go next level we will have to draw a little blood.

ps. did anyone catch the Hayes goal celebration.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Out
Hayes, Higgins

In
Long, Byrnes

Medi Sub
Connolly

Need more run

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 8:56am Out
Hayes, Higgins

In
Long, Byrnes

Medi Sub
Connolly

Need more run
What more than what they showed in the last 1.5 quarters?

I think while NWM is in the side we have to be careful how many fringe players we have in the side. We can't have too many players between the flanks picking up low stats.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 9:13am
B.M wrote: Tue 05 Apr 2022 8:56am Out
Hayes, Higgins

In
Long, Byrnes

Medi Sub
Connolly

Need more run
What more than what they showed in the last 1.5 quarters?

I think while NWM is in the side we have to be careful how many fringe players we have in the side. We can't have too many players between the flanks picking up low stats.
Yes, if we were the team that played like Richmond for the last quarter and a half then the statement "Need more run" makes sense.

Good point about being careful with how many young / fringe players to expose / carry especially in the area of transition.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 7:41pm As per everyone else Long for Higgins & Bytel as the sub. Hawks have been pretty good so far so we will need to be switched on from the first bounce .
Sitting on the pine as a sub would not be good for a bloke needing to get his fitness levels up.