Paddy McCartin!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McCartin!

So much hyperbole in this thread. McCartin will be retiring after his next concussion and his brains turn into mashed potatoes.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 5:04pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 6:23pm If Paddy didn't have concussion issues we would have built a team around him by now and would currently be a contender and possibly already have won a flag.

He looks really fit and considering how much footy he's missed, and for him to come back into an AFL side and play in a completely new postion and play to the standard he is clearly confirms how talented he is at the game of football.

And he's getting much better every game. He should still be wearing our jumper and I wonder had Ratts got in the joint sooner could he have emulated John Longmire and got him playing footy for us.
Hahahaha. Pure and utter bullsh!t.

Paddy isn't as tall as the gun forwards - nor has the leap of McKay, King, King, Hipwood, Allen, Curnow etc
Paddy isn't as mobile or aerobically capable as say, a Membrey type
Paddy doesn't have the speed of a Butler type
Paddy doesn't have the agility of a Gresham type
Paddy doesn't have the tricks of a Higgins type

So - where would we have built a team around him?

The Swans have done a good job of turning Paddy into a key defender (and bloody good on him for persevering and craving out career 2.0) but his Brother is a more complete player and they haven't build a team around him; let alone Paddy.
Calm down angry man.

Why are you comparing Paddy to a small forward? Clearly you need to practice your persuasive argument skills.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To me, this just highlights another set of problems that we had over his era.

In addition to just bizarre decisions and attitudes towards recruitment (a discussion for another time)…
This reflects that players over this time really weren’t working hard enough on the track.

Using Paddy as an example… he never reached the desired level of fitness to excel as a forward to us, whether or not that was because of his diabetes or concussion issues I’m not sure.
But given how lean he looks right now… like a Greek Adonis, clearly he could get there but he didn’t with us. He was too overweight.

We needed to not play him for a sustained patch until he was the right fitness/shape.

You look over that era though…
Kent apparently was peak fitness and size this year despite having been here for 5

Acres has gone up a gear having left 2 years ago
Hickey peaked later
Lonie, Weller, Newnes, Longer, TDL, White and a plethora of others that had a tone of potential and looked great at times but never progressed…
Clearly weren’t working hard enough IMO

We had this huge group of players that made the same basic skill errors for so so long and few ever really got better or close to their potential

In hindsight… I think one thing that is essential and a huge tone setter is when the hardest working player is also a star. That sets a pace for others to follow and I’m not sure it happened with Gears.
I reckon ppl are following Steele though. Even a few long servers/top 22 players are pushing themselves to do more and are playing better than they have in years as a result
… just like they followed Riewoldt, Hayes and Goddard

B.M
Saintsational Legend

None of those players you mention were that good, all had glaring deficiencies

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 7:13pm To me, this just highlights another set of problems that we had over his era.

In addition to just bizarre decisions and attitudes towards recruitment (a discussion for another time)…
This reflects that players over this time really weren’t working hard enough on the track.

Using Paddy as an example… he never reached the desired level of fitness to excel as a forward to us, whether or not that was because of his diabetes or concussion issues I’m not sure.
But given how lean he looks right now… like a Greek Adonis, clearly he could get there but he didn’t with us. He was too overweight.

We needed to not play him for a sustained patch until he was the right fitness/shape.

You look over that era though…
Kent apparently was peak fitness and size this year despite having been here for 5

Acres has gone up a gear having left 2 years ago
Hickey peaked later
Lonie, Weller, Newnes, Longer, TDL, White and a plethora of others that had a tone of potential and looked great at times but never progressed…
Clearly weren’t working hard enough IMO

We had this huge group of players that made the same basic skill errors for so so long and few ever really got better or close to their potential

In hindsight… I think one thing that is essential and a huge tone setter is when the hardest working player is also a star. That sets a pace for others to follow and I’m not sure it happened with Gears.
I reckon ppl are following Steele though. Even a few long servers/top 22 players are pushing themselves to do more and are playing better than they have in years as a result
… just like they followed Riewoldt, Hayes and Goddard
You'd have to think getting away from the Melbourne fish bowl would also be helping Paddy up at Sydney.

It's just inspirational to see him succeeding and prove why he was selected at number 1 in the draft, I mean you talk about tone setters, how inspired would Paddy's teammates be by how he has overcome immense challenges since childhood to be achieving what he is. I think it's about time for St Kilda supporters who have directed all sorts of bitterness and blame towards Paddy for all sorts of weird reasons to just enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 7:34pm None of those players you mention were that good, all had glaring deficiencies
What do you want a thesis?

Armitage played one excellent season in his career when he was the fittest
Dunstan played one semi decent season… after Richo left when he was his fittest

Acres is looking pretty decent now

Billings has been inconsistent and has seldom run out a season on 7+ years

Paddy is looking decent for the first time ever

Heck you’ve criticised Hill for not looking as fit or working as hard since he crossed over

It doesn’t feel very hard to make an argument that it looks like this is the fittest, most hard working l, driven group we’ve had for years

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

There is no part of the Paddy McCartin ride for a St Kilda supporter to enjoy, whether he succeeds or fails.

I can only wish him all the best in his life and hope he keeps that noggin out of harms way.

We have Battle playing his position.

Crossy66
Club Player

Enjoy watching paddy chasing his dream. I worry about at what cost, but that a decision for him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Actually the more I think about tone setting skeptic the more it makes me think about where Billings is at. He's more or less confirming that he's your classic attitude player, meaning he only gives his best when it suits him. All the talent in the world but just can't get it together between the ears. Give me Paddy over Billinga any time, at least Paddy fights for his spot on a footy field.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Mon 06 Jun 2022 5:59pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022 6:23pm If Paddy didn't have concussion issues we would have built a team around him by now and would currently be a contender and possibly already have won a flag.

He looks really fit and considering how much footy he's missed, and for him to come back into an AFL side and play in a completely new postion and play to the standard he is clearly confirms how talented he is at the game of football.

And he's getting much better every game. He should still be wearing our jumper and I wonder had Ratts got in the joint sooner could he have emulated John Longmire and got him playing footy for us.

Paddy isn't as tall as the gun forwards - nor has the leap of McKay, King, King, Hipwood, Allen, Curnow etc

The Swans have done a good job of turning Paddy into a key defender (and bloody good on him for persevering and craving out career 2.0) but his Brother is a more complete player and they haven't build a team around him; let alone Paddy.
Calm down angry man.

Why are you comparing Paddy to a small forward? Clearly you need to practice your persuasive argument skills.
Not angry at all. Just incredulous at your ludicrous assertion that we would've built a team around Paddy. All I did was compare him to the other forwards that we have that we also haven't built a team around. You build a team around gun mids. Paddy also isn't a mid.

I'll keep working on my persuasive argument skills whilst your wiping the merde dripping from your bottom lip

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 11:36am

Calm down angry man.

Not angry at all. Just incredulous at your ludicrous assertion that we would've built a team around Paddy. All I did was compare him to the other forwards that we have that we also haven't built a team around. You build a team around gun mids. Paddy also isn't a mid.

I'll keep working on my persuasive argument skills whilst your wiping the merde dripping from your bottom lip
:wink: 8-)

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 11:36am

Calm down angry man.

So a team only gets built around mids huh. You should start feeding these gems to Ratts, I'll pm you his mobile number, he could use your unique insight.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Check out how lean and cut his face looks now!

Noticed that his face is way slimmer, even accounting for the beard.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 11:36am Not angry at all. Just incredulous at your ludicrous assertion that we would've built a team around Paddy. All I did was compare him to the other forwards that we have that we also haven't built a team around. You build a team around gun mids. Paddy also isn't a mid.
Could you have built a team around any gun mid from the same draft as McCartin.
Maybe a guy called Petracca.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Well done paddy on never giving up and living out his dream. Also kudos to the swans for giving him the chance to play again. No hard feelings here

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Swans had nothing to lose by letting Paddy train with his brother Tom McCartin. The Swans were always going to benefit because it was going to make Tom happy that they at least gave his brother a chance.

The Swans were also looking at Paddy’s skill set and his physique and they had a position they wanted him to play. Most of the Swans supporters knew he was trying out as a defender. He was going to be their new Reg Grundy.

Vortex is trying to tell us that Reg Grundy was the best player in the AFL during the time that Reg played with the Swans. Good one Vortex :lol: :D :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 07 Jun 2022 2:50pm Check out how lean and cut his face looks now!

Noticed that his face is way slimmer, even accounting for the beard.
Big deal. Dan Hannebery’s face looks lean and cut too. Should we try him in defence?

You make a lot of football related suggestions shane (many which are just brain farts) so you are bound to get one right every now and then and incidentally…you weren’t on your own with that call.

Are you going to start another thread on Paddy every time Sydney have a win and he plays well?

I think you started this thread because you wanted to remind everyone that you thought he should play in defence. I think at the time when Paddy sat out a whole year in 2019 we had already recruited Max King. Max wasn’t drafted to play in defence was he?!!

People were saying he should try defence because he failed as a forward imo, and because we still had a need in 2019 for a bulky tall KPD…and I reckon it was probably a choice between ‘try and squeeze him somewhere’ or just cut our losses and move on. Vortex would have us all believe that Paddy would have won us a flag in 2021 if we’d retained him. I’m glad we moved on
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 09 Jun 2022 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 09 Jun 2022 1:35pm

The Swans had nothing to lose by letting Paddy train with his brother Tom McCartin. The Swans were always going to benefit because it was going to make Tom happy that they at least gave his brother a chance.

The Swans were also looking at Paddy’s skill set and his physique and they had a position they wanted him to play. Most of the Swans supporters knew he was trying out as a defender. He was going to be their new Reg Grundy.

Vortex is trying to tell us that Reg Grundy was the best player in the AFL during the time that Reg played with the Swans. Good one Vortex :lol: :D :lol:
When did Reginald play for the Swans?

Was that before Cop Shop? Wasn’t it a Police station in South Melbourne?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.