v Bris game thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: v Bris game thread

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 12:23am Very unfair that I got banned during the game. Mason Wood should be dropped and never play for us again!!

SS has a long 'n fun history fighting for the oppressed
'n the unfairly treated

look around the room Ernie

just like Mason Wood ... we need evolution
coz there'll be no revolution
on this matter

stop spamming us ya muppet

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintWiki
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 6:36am
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 4:02am
Brunswicksainter wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 3:40am Can’t believe the negativity. We win that game if those players don’t go down, no side in the AFL can win with 3 outs in the last qtr.
Think that’s rose coloured glasses
Their midfield got on top
They lock straight early we are 3/4 down
They were class above when it mattered
Midfield needs an injection of class - Ratten has to get creative not return to the same old mids he needs to bring in others eg sinclsir etc rotate through

We played poorly , had 3 injuries, away from home, against top 4 side and were still in it with 10 mins to go.

Steele back in this side will be a huge in , but we are not as bad as we played tonight.
We all knew it was a massive danger game, but with rose coloured glasses we thought we had a chance ... with everyone playing 'out of their skin' probably caused most of the ongoing blunders - fumbling, dropping marks, not hitting targets, poor decisions etc. This made me very nervious looking at the half time scoreboard, as it was easy to see that the scores flattered our first half performance. After half-time things got even worse when I realised that I had rarely cited some of our important players on my TV screen. Hill was one of them - and we already knew he is an outside player and I'd heard he was being heavily tagged, nevertheless I expected something - but even when he touched the ball he consistantly fumbled and missed easy targets. However Hill wasn't Robinson Crusoe, he had quite a few mates - we met bigger bodies with more experience while our game and players are still developing. I never expected to win a flag this year but just wanted finals, and still do. Yes, we have won a few games this year, but sometimes it was more like other teams losing them. I still have faith that we will get to GF with this squad in the next few years, but as we all really know deep down, we have bodies to build, experience to gain and the holes to plug - this match experience should help both players and the coaching staff in the future and I look forward to meeting this mob again on our own turf.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... the lions were a cut above us
yep

as they should be
...thats from being camped in the eight for a few years

thats where we have to get to

SaintDippa
Club Player

Dees, Lions, Freo, Cats, Swans. They all have a ball movement style week in week out, mostly moving it quick with structure into carefully spaced and organised F50.
Ratten has no idea. I watch and cannot even start to explain our 'system'.
We were lucky last night we weren't 30 down when we started losing players.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I can't imagine Ratten instructs King to not lead. A resting ruck should be camped at the top of the goal square with a small forward. King should be leading at the ball carrier whilst a Membrey or Sharman should be running / leading into the fat side.

Not only should our forwards get separation but separate the defenders from a 3rd up scenario.

I find that poor and lazy football that our forwards, A) Do not lead & B) Drag their defenders to another's contest.

The good teams use their forwards to drag their defenders out of the forward sweet spot, 20m out from goal. We seem hell bent on dragging them in there, it's no wonder we bomb it in & the likes of Higgins (who cannot kick 50m) is left to have shots from the 50m arc.

Dumb, stupid, selfish forwards do not help our midfield which is battling its own limitations, especially disposal efficiency.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Our backline was fantastic last night.
Midfield unlucky - losing Owens, Jones and McKenzie was brutal.
Even not having a fit Wood in the final quarter always meant we would be up against it.
Biggest disappoitment from my perspective was the forward line.
Again a failure to kick clutch goals - Sharman does kick them - back in next week please.

I thought the boys tried all night and can't fault their endeavor.

Reckon we will come out firing against the Bombers Friday night because whoever replaces our four injuries from last night will know that it is probably last chance saloon for them.

I think Billings and Sharman are straight back in to reward form in the reserves. Clark should be okay to return, and Highmore could come in to the backline which would allow Sinclair to play in the midfield, but then I also think that Byrnes may come in o play in the midfield.

I realsie that four is a lot of players to bring back in all at once but we don't have a choice. You could even argue for another couple to come out on last night's form, but injuries will save them for another week.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 11:35am I can't imagine Ratten instructs King to not lead. A resting ruck should be camped at the top of the goal square with a small forward. King should be leading at the ball carrier whilst a Membrey or Sharman should be running / leading into the fat side.

Not only should our forwards get separation but separate the defenders from a 3rd up scenario.

I find that poor and lazy football that our forwards, A) Do not lead & B) Drag their defenders to another's contest.

The good teams use their forwards to drag their defenders out of the forward sweet spot, 20m out from goal. We seem hell bent on dragging them in there, it's no wonder we bomb it in & the likes of Higgins (who cannot kick 50m) is left to have shots from the 50m arc.

Dumb, stupid, selfish forwards do not help our midfield which is battling its own limitations, especially disposal efficiency.
Post of the thread
That’s how I see it too
Forward line lacks system
Some weeks King gets in the move, leads, looks unstoppable
It’s not just King though - we are starting to over rely on him and St Kilda have history here…
This is why you don’t sign Ratten now.
I want to see a definite future structure
I want to see Membrey/Sharman leading , a Marshall /Paddy camped goal square demanding attention while King and co lead out to be hit up by Sinclair type ball users from midfield???
I still see bombs away to King 3-1 against just dumb
Players who miss targets
Players taking wrong options not lowering eyes into forward 50
We’ve seen this for some time and a coach needs to address it. I’ve never been sold on Lade but Ratten should not be extended until we finish home and away against top sides to see where we are really at
It’s illogical and stupid governance to do anything other than sound the market at this time he’s had 3 years I’m sick of taking 6 to work out he’s another Richo
Get ruthless as a club like Melb did
Some harsh player calls to favourites in offseason so we go forward are also needed
And Ratten needs to stop his “small forwards win the day” forward line obsession

“Yeah….nah””
Laurie
Club Player

Spot on Teflon.
BOOM BOOM

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It’s a shame questions like these or situations aren’t put to Ratts at the pressers

And if anyone on here is feeling a bit down…imagine being a roo supporter :shock:

older saint
SS Life Member

Shocked to jump on here and see some of the opinions flying around. To me we were undermanned and pushed a top 4 team of the past 3 years . We basically had one rotation for the last qtr and could have hit the front with 10 min left , and people here bagging Ratten and selectors.

Football isn't always pretty where ball moves freely and forwards hit on chest lace out.
Had we had full rotations and lost like that then perhaps some questions asked - perhaps.
I am sure coaches dont train to have the ball kicked high 3-1 to king but a thing called pressure , another called poise and a third called presence effect this. Pressure opposition put on you, poise to withstand that and the pressence of King ( Like Roo and even Plugger before him) often lead to the players not coach making the bomb decision.

I hate losing as much as anyone but some perspective of where we are at as a group, who we played and circumstances presented to us. i would have taken 8-4 after 12 games before the seaosn started with Steele out for 3 weeks so far
relax people Even Melbourne have lost games!

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 9:58pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 9:52pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 9:36pm Foxtel coverage not giving Saints fans much.

Piss poor.
If you don't like it I suggest you complain to th 7 Network.
Is Jonathan Brown on 7?
I thought you were talking about the broadcast which was Channel 7. If you don’t like listening to Brownie's Eliza Doolittle impersonations do as I do. Go have a piss and grab another can at the end of each quarter.

Saint supporter since '62
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 5:06pm Shocked to jump on here and see some of the opinions flying around. To me we were undermanned and pushed a top 4 team of the past 3 years . We basically had one rotation for the last qtr and could have hit the front with 10 min left , and people here bagging Ratten and selectors.

Football isn't always pretty where ball moves freely and forwards hit on chest lace out.
Had we had full rotations and lost like that then perhaps some questions asked - perhaps.
I am sure coaches dont train to have the ball kicked high 3-1 to king but a thing called pressure , another called poise and a third called presence effect this. Pressure opposition put on you, poise to withstand that and the pressence of King ( Like Roo and even Plugger before him) often lead to the players not coach making the bomb decision.

I hate losing as much as anyone but some perspective of where we are at as a group, who we played and circumstances presented to us. i would have taken 8-4 after 12 games before the seaosn started with Steele out for 3 weeks so far
Cmon rotations hurt late but don’t pretend they don’t kick straight and we aren’t in trouble
We are not a top 4 sude
We’ll get some finals experience this year great
But I’m interested in what we actually do to bridge the gap and be genuine flag threats
Why rush to sign a coach now??

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 8:03pm
older saint wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 5:06pm Shocked to jump on here and see some of the opinions flying around. To me we were undermanned and pushed a top 4 team of the past 3 years . We basically had one rotation for the last qtr and could have hit the front with 10 min left , and people here bagging Ratten and selectors.

Cmon rotations hurt late but don’t pretend they don’t kick straight and we aren’t in trouble
We are not a top 4 sude
But I’m interested in what we actually do to bridge the gap and be genuine flag threats
Will sacking the coach help? If YES, then do it. If NO, then move on with improving our list. I think we are better with Ratten than without. I think we will make finals which gives him 66%, not bad for a pathetic, limp, docile club pre 2020. Maybe not a premiership team but certainly better than a 2019 poor excuse for a 6 year build (again).

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 7:08pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 9:58pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 9:52pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 9:36pm Foxtel coverage not giving Saints fans much.

Piss poor.
If you don't like it I suggest you complain to th 7 Network.
Is Jonathan Brown on 7?
I thought you were talking about the broadcast which was Channel 7. If you don’t like listening to Brownie's Eliza Doolittle impersonations do as I do. Go have a piss and grab another can at the end of each quarter.
Sure. It was just a shi.t night.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

We are not a top 4 sude
Nathan Buckley perhaps?

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 11:04am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 11:38pm I blame this loss squarely upon the heels of Bradley Hill.

He is responsible for the concussions.
Responsible for Ross’s disposal.
For Long.
For everything.

And if I could serious for once, I loved Webster in the first quarter and I really appreciate the things he brings. I love Highmore and hope he comes back in.
A bit harsh mate. Plenty of other reasons why we lost. Just an aside when gresh gets the ball why do get the feeling it will land on the chest of the opposition?
Yes.
It was a silly comment. I was being a twat. I was so upset by the loss (after leading again)...I lost it. And I knew they would come for Brad Hill, so I tried to get in first. It was actually supposed to sarcastic. But it was silly. Take it back if i could. Brad had a shocker, fair to say.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 8:31pm

We are not a top 4 sude
Will sacking the coach help? If YES, then do it. If NO, then move on with improving our list. I think we are better with Ratten than without. I think we will make finals which gives him 66%, not bad for a pathetic, limp, docile club pre 2020. Maybe not a premiership team but certainly better than a 2019 poor excuse for a 6 year build (again).
If we had a crystal ball in employment circles no one would ever make that mistake…what a life!
No one knows
Which is why I’m saying you don’t rush in to sign the coach when you KNOW your club will face true tests back half this year. You get that evidence then decide is it time to hit the market. In the meantime you do your due diligence
If we don’t make finals or get bundled out week 1 by 10 goals are you saying Ratten should be retained?
And to answer your question with a question- are you saying a Clarkson could absolutely NOT be better than Ratten ???????
I don’t think anyone could
That’s why you do the homework
We won’t , we’ll rush to sign like we did with Richo
Clubs never been ruthless or professional in that regard
I’m also not interested in limping to finals as not a real threat (like 2020) …..be down year later…..limp in again few years later …(again not a real threat). ….rinse repeat
It’s about genuine top 4 and what gives us next chance doing that I like Ratts but I’m still not sure he’s ruthless enough to make hard calls to get us there (which would mean cutting done well loved players imo)

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 8:55pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 11:04am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 11:38pm I blame this loss squarely upon the heels of Bradley Hill.

He is responsible for the concussions.
Responsible for Ross’s disposal.
For Long.
For everything.

And if I could serious for once, I loved Webster in the first quarter and I really appreciate the things he brings. I love Highmore and hope he comes back in.
A bit harsh mate. Plenty of other reasons why we lost. Just an aside when gresh gets the ball why do get the feeling it will land on the chest of the opposition?
Yes.
It was a silly comment. I was being a twat. I was so upset by the loss (after leading again)...I lost it. And I knew they would come for Brad Hill, so I tried to get in first. It was actually supposed to sarcastic. But it was silly. Take it back if i could. Brad had a shocker, fair to say.
Ah yes I look back on that and see the sarcasm. I sometimes make the mistake Of only reading a few lines and moving on …my bad :wink:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the coach (-ing position) discussion

re the Clarkson option
"We have his stats man, his coaching coach, one of his senior assistants and a former captain already."
that sounds like homework done to me

older saint
SS Life Member

We are not a top 4 sude
you have actually made my point for me. I am saying we lost to a top 4 side with some bad luck with injuries, yet were more than competitive and people need to chill. You have said we aren't a top 4 side so therefore Brisbane should beat us. Therefore it follows the carry on and questioning of coach is an over reaction ( my point) as we weren't expected to win anyway.
that said;
Brisbane have been top 4 side for multiple years now, it doesn't just happen it take time.
What do we need IMO
-time - get games into players who are the future ( when they earn it)- Owens, Windy, NWM, Clark, Coffield, King, Paton, . You build to a top 4 team
- Stability - the argument of move Ratten on kills this. Clearly he can coach 2020 & 2022 shows this. 2021 dropped ball with a terrible pre season and key injuries . This club has a 100 year history of poor knee jerk decisions.
- Tactical recruitment for need. Identify areas requiring support and recruit accordingly.

I feel more comfortable signing Ratten now than i did with richo mid season, based on the demographic of the side.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 2:12pm

We are not a top 4 sude
you have actually made my point for me. I am saying we lost to a top 4 side with some bad luck with injuries, yet were more than competitive and people need to chill. You have said we aren't a top 4 side so therefore Brisbane should beat us. Therefore it follows the carry on and questioning of coach is an over reaction ( my point) as we weren't expected to win anyway.
that said;
Brisbane have been top 4 side for multiple years now, it doesn't just happen it take time.
What do we need IMO
-time - get games into players who are the future ( when they earn it)- Owens, Windy, NWM, Clark, Coffield, King, Paton, . You build to a top 4 team
- Stability - the argument of move Ratten on kills this. Clearly he can coach 2020 & 2022 shows this. 2021 dropped ball with a terrible pre season and key injuries . This club has a 100 year history of poor knee jerk decisions.
- Tactical recruitment for need. Identify areas requiring support and recruit accordingly.

I feel more comfortable signing Ratten now than i did with richo mid season, based on the demographic of the side.
What do we need - stability???
We had stability under Richo did that get us near it????
Just delusional
You need to turn over and weed out mediocre players
Brett Ratten ability to get this side to compete against quality opponents (like Freo are now doing) will be there for all to see at seasons end)
No need for silly knee jerk reactions for the sake of “stability”
If we dont make finals this year OR get smashed week 1 and bundled out straight sets are you happy for 3 more years of stability with no regard of what is available in the market????
Madness.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We lost to the top team. No shame in that.

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 6:45pm

We are not a top 4 sude
that said;
What do we need IMO

Just delusional
Brett Ratten ability to get this side to compete against quality opponents (like Freo are now doing) will be there for all to see at seasons end)
If we dont make finals this year OR get smashed week 1 and bundled out straight sets are you happy for 3 more years of stability with no regard of what is available in the market????
Madness.
Before we go sacking Ratten, let's make sure we have a replacement and there are no guarantees that we could get Clarkson and there are no guarantees that he will be the prodigal son that will lead us to a premiership.
There is a history of successful coaches going to other clubs and bombing out.
We should make finals from here and the most important thing is that we learn from this loss.
It will be interesting to see if we change tactics against Brisbane next time we meet them. One thing is for sure, we can beat them, I have no doubt about that.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 7:02pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 13 Jun 2022 6:45pm

We are not a top 4 sude
that said;
What do we need IMO

Just delusional
Madness.
Before we go sacking Ratten, let's make sure we have a replacement and there are no guarantees that we could get Clarkson and there are no guarantees that he will be the prodigal son that will lead us to a premiership.
There is a history of successful coaches going to other clubs and bombing out.
We should make finals from here and the most important thing is that we learn from this loss.
It will be interesting to see if we change tactics against Brisbane next time we meet them. One thing is for sure, we can beat them, I have no doubt about that.
Again, no one is advocating we sack Ratten
What’s being advocated is we do our due diligence and not rush to sign him
By end this year we will know much more about where this side sits against the big boys
No need to Shyte the bed now to sign Brett is what I’m saying
Again, if we don’t make finals - do you sign Brett fit 3 more????
IF we make finals and are hammered by 10 goals out in straight sets do you sign him for 3?
What’s his pass mark??

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If he’s being judged solely on win/loss, which I doubt, making the 8 is a pass mark, albeit a low one.

Ratten is head coach of a developing list which still has a few holes so unless the wheels fall off completely, he should get some slack.