Dougal Howard appreciation thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Re: Dougal Howard appreciation thread

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 8:47pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 8:05pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 8:01pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 7:46pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 5:25pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 11 Jul 2022 5:13pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 2:04pm What last night proved is that Dougal is currently our best option for fullback, which is why we badly need to recruit another tall defender.
Harris Andrews and or Ben McKay say hello
Any reason you think they may be available, or that their respective clubs don't want them?
I have no idea if they are available but if I was St Kilda I would be speaking to their manager and finding out. But in all honesty, the way our list is at the moment it would probably be a waste of time. The more I think about it the more I reckon we need a full rebuild. Start again and build a premiership team around King. The first step in the 5 year plan would be to either trade out or delist everyone older than 27 (contracts permitting), at the end of this season. Then at the end of next season trade out or delist everyone older than 26 (contracts permitting). And yes I am aware that it might include some of our best players but so be it. Like I said, the aim here is to build a premiership list through the draft based around King's age group and younger. That would then make King 27 and give us 5 years to reset the list accordingly. No Free Agents and no trading in other players from other clubs UNTIL THE LIST HAS BEEN REBUILT FROM THE DRAFT AND GETS TO THE TOP 4 ON A CORE OF PLAYERS 27 AND UNDER. ie. NO SHORTCUTS OF THE KIND THAT SATAN AND GAGS HAVE ATTEMPTED BUT HAVE FAILED MISERABLY AND ALL THEY HAVE ACHIEVED IS KEPT US IN NO MAN'S LAND FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS!
So what do we do with Harris Andrews if we got him this year ( he is 26 later this year). Would we recruit him for a year and then delist?
Sounds good, what year do we win it?
At best 2028

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Only those that know nothing about football bag Howards game style.

In a defensive structure were he is asked to offer cover for shorter team mates he is required to over aerial cover to all long balls coming in.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 12:46pm Only those that know nothing about football bag Howards game style.

In a defensive structure were he is asked to offer cover for shorter team mates he is required to over aerial cover to all long balls coming in.
What an ignorant statement Curly!

Howard holding ground is fine when there are Battle or Wilkie in the forwards leading line for a handover. But on numerous occasions too many to count the key forward has lead with no other cover and Howard has been too late to react or not bothered and the forward marks unopposed.

Basically teams do what we cant, they split our key defenders because they know how poor Howard has been covering the lead. Howard then turns around in the middle of nowhere and looks for a team mate to blame, even if they are no where near the contest.

Howard is fine spoiling under the bomb, but this year has been found out 'big time' on a lead!
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 12:46pm Only those that know nothing about football
We’ll you are the best qualified on this site when it comes to knowing nothing about football so I’ll run with your thoughts on this 😉

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:07pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 12:46pm Only those that know nothing about football
We’ll you are the best qualified on this site when it comes to knowing nothing about football so I’ll run with your thoughts on this 😉
Yeah I know nothing yeah of course.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:06pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 12:46pm Only those that know nothing about football bag Howards game style.

What an ignorant statement Curly!

Howard holding ground is fine when there are Battle or Wilkie in the forwards leading line for a handover. But on numerous occasions too many to count the key forward has lead with no other cover and Howard has been too late to react or not bothered and the forward marks unopposed.

Basically teams do what we cant, they split our key defenders because they know how poor Howard has been covering the lead. Howard then turns around in the middle of nowhere and looks for a team mate to blame, even if they are no where near the contest.

Howard is fine spoiling under the bomb, but this year has been found out 'big time' on a lead!

Howard has to be cover for all meaning he has to make late calls on who to cover. As we saw on the weekend without him we are shot to pieces. As for getting caught out on the lead show me a defender that can defend easy access in and a open lead.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The only person Howard has to cover is his man

Hard to do when you are 20m away

Killa
Club Player

Any forward with good delivery from a mid field not under pressure will put immediate pressure on their opponent

There is also the issue of denying space for a forward to lead into - or at least pushing them wide

To present that Howard is poor at defending forwards on the lead is a nonsense as this is a problem all defenders have

This is how forwards kick the majority of their goals - leading and looking for delivery which negates their opponent

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:51pm
You’re only clueless about footy, I’m sure you are very knowledgeable around other topics like sawmills 👍

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 10:58pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 1:51pm
You’re only clueless about footy, I’m sure you are very knowledgeable around other topics like sawmills 👍

Hilarious Oricale great to see you’ve come out.