Should Geary be considered for selection?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Geary be considered for selection?

He is the captain of our reserves now - mentor the kids and the new players coming in.
Campbell can do the same role - keep the reserves competitive and support the kids in the magoos. We can always do with experienced mature bodies.
And if we fall out of finals contention - and if he can overcome his injuries - Hannebery should play the games he can play in the reserves too (but not while we are still in finals contention). He could work with Bytel, Byrnes, Owens, etc. and teach them a lot. That is where his true value lays as things currently stand.
We only have four players on the list who are 30, and that is three of them.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we are selecting Jarryn this season

We are clearly a mediocre team

He has been a warrior and great small defender

He is now turning 34 and is slow, and skill was never great even at his prime.

What is to be gained by selecting a 34yo as a bottom 6 player

May as well be Wanganeen or another decent younger player

SunnyErnie
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 02 Apr 2022 5:21pm Interchange. He still have value
If he ever plays again Ratten should be immediately removed from his position!!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It's like Foghorn Leghorn does Queen of Hearts.

Becoming more amusing as it gets more shrill. Predicable and mean spirited but nice light contrast from the actual supporters posts.

If Saints can generate such anger from this oppo poster they are doing a lot right.

Poster wouldn't dare express the opinion above to Jarryn or Brett face to face. Might mention it to Simon when he calls back. Soft as.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, assuming we lose to the Dees and Butler maintains his mediocre form of the last couple of weeks, I think Geary might be a good selection as a defensive forward against the Cats. His competitiveness and will to win would give the entire team a lift, and he's also not bad at taking his chances in front of goal.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SunnyErnie
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sat 07 May 2022 10:07am Seriously, assuming we lose to the Dees and Butler maintains his mediocre form of the last couple of weeks, I think Geary might be a good selection as a defensive forward against the Cats. His competitiveness and will to win would give the entire team a lift, and he's also not bad at taking his chances in front of goal.
I agree but Geary is not our future. I would rather play one of the youngsters!!!

NeXus
BadRossco
Club Player

Certainly should be considered but definitely not played

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gears is certainly above VFL standard but I would give him an assistant coach's role and leave him at Sandy.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 07 May 2022 6:20pm Gears is certainly above VFL standard but I would give him an assistant coach's role and leave him at Sandy.
:mrgreen: :shock:

NeXus
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bump

Sorry, haven’t been following the Zebs in the last few weeks. Did Gears play?

Is he fit?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 12 Jul 2022 11:25pm Bump

Sorry, haven’t been following the Zebs in the last few weeks. Did Gears play?

Is he fit?
Didn’t play hadn’t played for a few weeks.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Geary celebrated his 34th birthday back in June = Old, injury prone ex captain.

I wonder if he has been planning for his retirement, will that be at season's end.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

As coach?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

At this point probably no harm in giving him a few farewell games

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 10:54am At this point probably no harm in giving him a few farewell games
One will do. I'd rather a kid get any of the others.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I hope he stays on at Sandy as Captain

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Speaking to his brother and he will either not play next season or play with another brother who is coaching back home.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SunnyErnie
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 6:14pm Long time lurker, first time poster!! :roll:

Thanks for accepting me into the family. :lol:

I was wanting opinions on Geary. Do you think he should be considered for selection? Or should he be a mentor a Sandringham and hopefully fast track our youngsters? IMHO, I reckon that should be his role this year. We are not a finals team so we need to pump as many games into the youngsters as possible. Geary has been a great player so because of that I would give him one farewell game towards the end of the year.

Thoughts?
He should get a farewell game

NeXus
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

How has Geary’s form been at Sandy this year?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Geary should be considered for selection ....................

for Sandringham.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I feel very sorry for Gears. He came back and played so well in the 2020 finals but the injury gods have cruelled him.

The fact that he hasn't hoisted the white flag as yet demonstrates what a great clubman he has been. I'd take any wannabe AFL recruit to one side and point to Jarryn Geary as an example of what you can achieve if you persist and never give up. Pick 58 in the Rookie Draft would not be an indicator of high expectations. Overlooked early by Ross Lyon does not put him in exclusive company.

207 senior AFL games and anointed as successor to the great Nick Reiwoldt as captain of the Club is an inspirational story. The fact that, at 34 years of age, he is still determined to play out the year says plenty about the bloke as an exemplary footballer and person. While he might not get a mention when talking about great St Kilda players he has been a terrific leader on and off the field and deserves to be remembered and respected for those qualities.

Saint supporter since '62
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:10pm I feel very sorry for Gears. He came back and played so well in the 2020 finals but the injury gods have cruelled him.

The fact that he hasn't hoisted the white flag as yet demonstrates what a great clubman he has been. I'd take any wannabe AFL recruit to one side and point to Jarryn Geary as an example of what you can achieve if you persist and never give up. Pick 58 in the Rookie Draft would not be an indicator of high expectations. Overlooked early by Ross Lyon does not put him in exclusive company.

207 senior AFL games and anointed as successor to the great Nick Reiwoldt as captain of the Club is an inspirational story. The fact that, at 34 years of age, he is still determined to play out the year says plenty about the bloke as an exemplary footballer and person. While he might not get a mention when talking about great St Kilda players he has been a terrific leader on and off the field and deserves to be remembered and respected for those qualities.
Great post I agree 100% .We are pretty much out of the finals race so if his body is good enough to play IMO he deserves a farewell game in our last home game

happy feet
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:39pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:10pm I feel very sorry for Gears. He came back and played so well in the 2020 finals but the injury gods have cruelled him.

Great post I agree 100% .We are pretty much out of the finals race so if his body is good enough to play IMO he deserves a farewell game in our last home game
If the finals are gone, then Geary should get a farewell game. It’s the decent thing to do.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He’s hung up the boots, effective immediately. Shame we couldn’t give him a farewell game. A great warrior for the club

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

happy feet wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 8:33pm
bangaulegend wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:39pm

If the finals are gone, then Geary should get a farewell game. It’s the decent thing to do.
I suspect he read my post. :lol: I was aware he had another shoulder issue but if it requires a full reco then it's all over. With some luck he might be ready to have a game somewhere this time next year. My advice, still suffering from a 44 year old shoulder injury, is there are better things in life than getting banged up on a regular basis playing footy.

Enjoy your retirement with your wife and young family Jarryn and thank you for your selfless service to the Saints.

Saint supporter since '62