White flag

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: White flag

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 2:39am Selection integrity is important for culture at a football club, and sadly I believe St Kilda has compromised it's integrity quite frequently this year.
Selection integrity has been an issue at the club for a few years now.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
spert
Saintsational Legend

All the players go out and do their best, but some just don't quite make it in the long run, and as we have had a disappointing season it doesn't matter who gets a game, and we might as well send a popular guy off with a senior game. Remember back when Kosi got selected for his last game, he was out of form and didn't really warrant selection, but the club put pressure on the selectors and he got his last game, but there probably others who deserved a game ahead of him on form, but this is what happens at sports clubs.

takeaway
Club Player

Good on them for giving Kent the chance to join only 17% of players to reach 100 games in the last, dead rubber game of the year. He would have reached that mark earlier this season if it was up to me, I would have had him in the side for the odd game in lieu of Butler, for one. If you just look at stats, he stacks up better than Butler. Butler is flashier though.

He’s no champion, but the criticism he cops on here is often over the top. That’s normal on here though from the Catherines.

He’s very popular at the club, and has kept plugging away at Sandi. Good to see these things happening on occasions, puts the sport and humanity back into a sporting club, meaning it’s not all hard edge business, sacking players, leaving coaches suddenly in limbo in the dark, etc.

AFL is a hard business where tough decisions have to be made, but I reckon the occasional gesture like this does more for the club and players than the reverse. Stuff “selection integrity”.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 9:11pm What does it say for club culture, throwing in the white flag to Sydney, giving guys testimonial send offs for players that have basically given nothing to the club.

Don’t get me wrong. Not their fault they were picked, nor their fault they were not good enough or injured. But what are we actually perpetuating as a club basically giving up and throwing a couple of blokes a game? It’s not like they’re club champions. Again, not their fault but as a club this just shows a sense of defeat and ongoing mediocrity

Just my two cents
I think you will find the opposite will occur! Campbell has been rewarded for his Sandringham form and who knows it might be his last game for the club. Hannebery is best 22 when fit and Kent is the medical sub, which again rewards his efforts for the club over his tenure. Groups appreciate the sentiment in moves like that and respond accordingly.

I hope we'll see that the team plays uninhibited football, now there season is over. and pressure off.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:54pm
MC Gusto wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 9:11pm What does it say for club culture, throwing in the white flag to Sydney, giving guys testimonial send offs for players that have basically given nothing to the club.

Don’t get me wrong. Not their fault they were picked, nor their fault they were not good enough or injured. But what are we actually perpetuating as a club basically giving up and throwing a couple of blokes a game? It’s not like they’re club champions. Again, not their fault but as a club this just shows a sense of defeat and ongoing mediocrity

Just my two cents
Hanners is in the side because he is best 22 even if is only playing at half pace. Kent is picked as medi sub to get him over the line for 100 games because he is capable and popular guy amongst the squad. He deserves it despite the hatred from Saintsational. As a general observation on Saintsational the most hated players are generally our small forwards which also happens to be the most difficult position. I suspect the people hating never played football at a decent level so simply do not understand.

You are right there mate ,but don't let it get to you. There are some very nasty posters on this site but I'm betting that most clubs have their fair share of them. The animal enclosure is no longer there so I suppose these "fans" have to vent their spleen somewhere.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Lose by 60+ today

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:22pmLose by 60+ today
who's playing today?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:02pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 10:51pm I think it’s a bit embarrassing

Only fathomable logic is that Kent might have a son one day.
Haha you never know, the little Kent might be a gun.
Kent has played 36 games for the Saints and 99 in total - so I am not sure what the reference to a little Kent is about

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

White flag? Finals aspirations were snuffed our last week, if you hadn't noticed.

I'm pleased the club has given Kent and Hannebery a farewell game. It's about respect and valuing people at your club even when they're not your star performers.

Whatever people think of Dean Kent the footballer, the guy has given his all. He plays 100 games of AFL football. Worthy of respect both from the club and all of us.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:45pm

Kent has played 36 games for the Saints and 99 in total - so I am not sure what the reference to a little Kent is about
Just highlights the ignorance which abounds on this site.

SaintJohno
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:57pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:45pm

Just highlights the ignorance which abounds on this site.
My deepest apologies for making a mistake.