Captain shocked by Ratts sacking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Captain shocked by Ratts sacking

What about the interview between Hayes and Steele?
They looked incredibly connected and warm.
Steele should look to Hayes- I hope Hayes told Jack that Ross coming back is a huge positive, and Hayes was sad for Ratts but energized when he saw Ross coming in.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 12:20pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 11:53am Expect when the 2023 season comes around the media will get its first opportunity to put the Bassett "review" process
under the microscope and the fact the review didn't include not even one single conversation with the players, the leadership group and EVEN the Captain just further raises suspicion about the quality of administration by Bassett and Lethlean these past few years and their secret agenda.
There's no evidence for your assertion that the review team did not speak to any players including the captain Vortex, I expect they did speak to Jack Steele but you would hardly expect them to reveal to him their thinking about Ratten.

In any case, I have long suspected that the spotlight on the senior coach came about separate from the review and was in fact quietly instigated by Geoff Walsh who was appointed EGM of Football Operations on 5 October, 9 days before Rattten was sacked on 14 October.

I'm intrigued to find out from you what you suspect to be Bassat's and Lethlean's "secret agenda"???? Methinks you're just stirring again :lol: :lol:

Just go with the flow mate and like most supporters enjoy the palpable sense of excitement in the air at Moorabbin!
Oh gosh if there was even a small chance the decision came about 9 days beforehand then hold onto your hats in 2023 when the media take thier opportunity once again leverage off the circus that is St Kilda.

I'm going with the flow but as always reserving the right to free thought.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Any talk of player revolt sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory, considering how Steele openly admits the players let Ratts down.
It's on them, he says.
How can the players cry about Ratts when they need to own that the rubbish (e.g. Bombers game) was not the coach's fault (well, not entirely).
If they wanted him around for another year, they should've played like they wanted him.
Ok, that Sydney game was poor luck or missed chances (8 pts behind late in the game?) But a good team takes its chances and doesn't look for excuses

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 9:30am by Vortex » Fri 18 Nov 2022 7:53pm

"Bassett and Lethlean are a couple of absolute ........."

Vortexes?
lol

cruel

but

... very good
(made me chuckle)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 11:53am Expect when the 2023 season comes around the media will get its first opportunity to put the Bassett "review" process
under the microscope and the fact the review didn't include not even one single conversation with the players, the leadership group and EVEN the Captain just further raises suspicion about the quality of administration by Bassett and Lethlean these past few years and their secret agenda.
i quite like you 'n your contributions around here V

but
could u just confirm for me
that you are not one of the nexus family

:P

asiu
Saintsational Legend

In any case, I have long suspected that the spotlight on the senior coach came about separate from the review and was in fact quietly instigated by Geoff Walsh who was appointed EGM of Football Operations on 5 October, 9 days before Rattten was sacked on 14 October.
mmmmm

i'd be thinking
he became the ex players 'spokesperson'
(willingly)

more than the 'driver' of a change
already being driven

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 12:47pm

but

Thanks Gaz
Free thought stands out doesn't it

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 12:57pm
mmmmm

i'd be thinking
(willingly)

already being driven
So you imagine Walshy and a bunch of former players like Rooey, Goddard, Harves had a very long lunch at a pub, then set up a WhatsApp group (where they can have convos online)
and the consensus was
Ratts out
Ross in
Harves leaves Hawks, returns
BJ burns his bombers puffer jacket and signs up

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 12:47pm

but

I've read 'the Da Vinci Code'
Nexus contains 'ex'
Vortex same
Numerologically, Nexus= 130
Vortex = 65 which is half of 130 and also CityWest =65

Do the math 🙆‍♂️🤠

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:05pm
mmmmm

i'd be thinking
(willingly)

already being driven
So you imagine Walshy and a bunch of former players like Rooey, Goddard, Harves had a very long lunch at a pub, then set up a WhatsApp group (where they can have convos online)
and the consensus was
Ratts out
Ross in
There was only 9 days between his appointment and the sacking....do the maths

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:10pm
mmmmm

i'd be thinking
(willingly)

already being driven
and the consensus was
Ratts out
Ross in
They need more than 9 days to crunch the numbers, and then the following:
-confirm with AFL, and Jack Rush KC (Saints Board legal) about the payout and any legal fallout
- confirm with Saints accounts about soft cap, how much can they afford to offer RTB
- offer RTB maybe 60% of what they can afford, knowing he'll ask for more...then to and fro
- worry about Lenny maybe pulling the pin in horror, and returning to his farm in NSW
- think about Boris leaving too (he lives near Geelong, might go "I'm out")

There's more...

It's not as simple as seeing a house that fits your needs, then putting in an offer subject to the sale of your current residence 🤷‍♂️

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:20pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:10pm
mmmmm

i'd be thinking
(willingly)

already being driven
and the consensus was
Ratts out
Ross in
They need more than 9 days to crunch the numbers, and then the following:
-confirm with AFL, and Jack Rush KC (Saints Board legal) about the payout and any legal fallout
- confirm with Saints accounts about soft cap, how much can they afford to offer RTB
- offer RTB maybe 60% of what they can afford, knowing he'll ask for more...then to and fro
- worry about Lenny maybe pulling the pin in horror, and returning to his farm in NSW
- think about Boris leaving too (he lives near Geelong, might go "I'm out")

There's more...

It's not as simple as seeing a house that fits your needs, then putting in an offer subject to the sale of your current residence 🤷‍♂️
You make it sound like they think things out

Told 12 months ago we enter the premiership in 2022
6 months later extend contract if coach
3 months later sack coach
Announce we have to go backwards to go forwards
There's more....much more

Hardly the decision making of people who know what they are doing.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

In the end, Ratts is out, RTB is in.
Harves, Hayes, Goddard.
Immediate effect should be members signing up much quicker than otherwise (depending on each member's finances)
We may not exceed 2022 numbers (would be surprised if we do, given the RBA murdering interest rates- less $ for discretionary spending)
But we'll get there much quicker.
Very early surge that will plateau
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to derail this thread by dragging it off in another direction, but I understand where you're coming from, however you and I are passengers in a commercial airliner on a round-the-world trip.
We both hope the aircrew know what they're doing, the instruments are all working, and the ground crew/maintenance can keep us in the air.

We don't know if we're in a Boeing 737- Max 800 or a proper aircraft that won't do anything insane

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think there's a number of very important dates and they've already been discussed in previous threads

The first date was in 2021;when Lyon was reluctant to go through a process when the Carlton job was on offer.

As soon as he became available again in the eyes of the St Kilda mafia, they started plotting

The second date which sealed Ratten's fate in 2022 was when Ross Lyon opted out of any opportunity to coach GWS or Essendon

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:35pm I don't want to derail this thread by dragging it off in another direction, but I understand where you're coming from, however you and I are passengers in a commercial airliner on a round-the-world trip.
We both hope the aircrew know what they're doing, the instruments are all working, and the ground crew/maintenance can keep us in the air.

We don't know if we're in a Boeing 737- Max 800 or a proper aircraft that won't do anything insane
I feel like I am about to take off on the first test flight of the de Havilland Comet MkII and I know square windows fail to comply with basic principles of engineering but I have been convinced the new windows with round corners will do the trick. Why am I not confident.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Just waiting for “free thinking” Secret_Vortex to try work COVID into his latest conspiracy theory about a “player revolt” :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I bet Dunstan could barely contain his joy when Steele broke the news to him on holiday that Ratts was out!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The rest of the OP article, From the hun of course:

"It is going to be a bit of a test in pre-season to see how everyone goes.”

He said the players will get a shock when they arrive at Moorabbin to begin pre-season training with the first to fourth year players starting back on Monday.

“The whole downstairs strength and conditioning has also been changed as well,” Steele said.

“You walk into the club and there are 10 new faces that you need to remember the names of.

“It is going to feel like a new club but it’s going to be a good change for us. You need to embrace the change and have a positive mindset about it otherwise it won’t be good for you.”

Lyon is bringing the old St Kilda back with the return of former stars Robert Harvey, Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard onto a new coaching panel.

“It probably puts us in a better position because the people that are coming back are even hungrier, especially Ross who went to Freo and played in a grand final over there,” Steele said.

“He has tasted it, he‘s pretty hungry just to get it done and it puts us in a good position. We need to jump on the back of him and get to work.”

For Steele the appointment of Hayes is special given the pair worked together at the GWS Giants where he played 17 games in two seasons before being traded to the Saints in 2017.

“It’s massively exciting as I worked with Lenny once before at the Giants for a year,” he said.

“I think he was the defensive coach but he was my duty of care coach I suppose, a mentor of mine.

“I was speaking to him when I was getting the trade to the Saints, he knew I was leaving and was consulting him about it and trying to get him to give me an answer.

“Maybe that was all part of the plan, you go ahead and I‘ll be there in a couple of years.”

Steele, 26, isn’t required back until next month but will be on the track on Monday for Lyon’s first official training session.
Club legend Lenny Hayes returns to the Saints as an assistant coach under Ross Lyon. Hayes worked closesly with Steele whilst both were at GWS.

He will also be on the promotion trail for McDonald’s where he is a Kick-2-Kick ambassador. With McHappy Day happening on Saturday, Steele is helping to raise funds for Ronald McDonald House through the sale of Silly Socks which are available for $5 in all outlets with the money going towards helping sick children and their families.

When the entire playing group does return to pre-season training on December 5, the captain knows there is an excellent precedent for the Saints to follow.

What Collingwood under new coach Craig McRae did is the road map for every other middle-of-the-road team who have some talent – Steele points to Max King, Marcus Windhager and Mitch Owens as special kids – but have found ways to stuff it up regularly.

“It just shows what can happen,” Steele says.

“We played them in Round 1 last season and on paper I thought we had a way better 22 than them but they were just such a good team and played as one.

“They played as a collective unit, that was so good to see and it gave us a bit of belief that we can get there as well, we can make that leap, make that jump but it takes complete buy-in from everyone on your list as well.

“It shows clubs like us who are hovering outside the eight that can‘t quite break into it that it is possible to do if you get a few things right. All it takes is a couple of good games in a row, you can build on a run with a new system, build on that belief and connection between your teammates like Collingwood did and even Fremantle, they were great as well.

“It is really possible.”

asiu
Saintsational Legend

without reading whats to come Wellard

i reckon , fwtw , it'll come out after the dots are joined ,

that Walsh
already well knew the situation
via
Eddy Everywhere
who
well 'knew'
of
Roo's mob 'n their attitude towards things
regarding the St Kilda Football Club

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I've read 'the Da Vinci Code'
Nexus contains 'ex'
Vortex same
Numerologically, Nexus= 130
Vortex = 65 which is half of 130 and also CityWest =65

Do the math 🙆‍♂️🤠
lol , thats a good effort

10 thumbs up

sks023
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 11:41am
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 10:43am Steele mentioned in that interview that there were a few players on the outer under Ratten who are energised by Ross Lyon's appointment. I wonder who they could be?

My guess

Sharman
Connolly
Highmore
Byrnes
Bytel
Gosh Sharman was Ratts favourite, gave him game when clearly he shouldn't have been playing AFL.

The reason the players you listed weren't getting a game is because they are not AFL standard, Ross might give them a game as role players though so that will be good for them.

Ross should probably also get Clint Jones and Robert Eddie back as assistant coaches for the role players.
Sharman Is only 22 and hasn't even filled out yet
Will be a absolute beauty and I am baffled by your constant knock on the lad
Last edited by sks023 on Sat 19 Nov 2022 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
asiu
Saintsational Legend

EE ,
also in tight with Ross

asiu
Saintsational Legend

in fact , i'd go further
'n say

EE , is a big convert , to the push
of helping the hopeless bunch
(thats us !!)
get their sh1t together
and Win the Thing *

thats a Big Red-ism
(but i'm stealing it)

[again]

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:53pm
WellardSaint wrote: Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:35pm I don't want to derail this thread by dragging it off in another direction, but I understand where you're coming from, however you and I are passengers in a commercial airliner on a round-the-world trip.

I feel like I am about to take off on the first test flight of the de Havilland Comet MkII and I know square windows fail to comply with basic principles of engineering but I have been convinced the new windows with round corners will do the trick. Why am I not confident.
Ships have round port holes , not because of engineering standards

They are round so that the water doesn’t hit you square in the face

We have disembarked the Ratten tiger moth and jumped aboard the RTB Lear jet