Depth?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Depth?

Windy (arguably best 22)
Owens (close to best 22?)
NWM
Van Es
Philipou
Other young ones...
When these boys demand their place in the seniors, it will relegate a lot of over 25s to depth.
That's what we need.
Young talent putting pressure on established players.
We need players like Jones, Billings, Gresham to feel the need to go up a level to keep their spots.

Windy (if he doesn't suffer 2nd yr blues) is best 22, Owens and NWM might slide to Zebs occasionally, due to consistency, but the next 3-4 years looks exciting

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Depth?

Max going down has exposed our lists biggest weakness - tall forwards/2nd ruckman. I was surprised we didnt go harder for one of Weideman or Schache in the trade period?

This Eyre lad who is training with us might be ok, but I reckon Gallagher would be regretting not trading in one of the other tall options about now.

Saintmike65
Club Player

We must fill our 3 list spots (including Max)..enough of this BS leaving spots for the mid season draft.
Reality is we’ll likely get long term injury or 2 which would open up list spots then anyway.
It seems like Stocker & Eire will be assessed by the quality of their training, work ethic and attitude.
Hopefully we put Stack on the list as he’s probably better than both of them put together!

theoracle
Club Player

Missing a second key forward is an issue - it's the main reason we must make a MAJOR play for B King at the end of this season (and yes, the Kings can play in the same forward line like all other clubs with twin tall setups seem to be able to manage quite successfully: Geelong prime example). The Marshall/Jack Hayes combo is the perfect solution but with Hayes returning from an ACL there's a ? there.
We're actually well served for key backs with Howard, Battle, Wilkie, Highmore, Cordy and, you could argue, Van Es. So, I'd be sending Battle forward and have a Membrey-Battle-Marshall-Hayes with Higgins, Butler, Gresham setup.
Our depth is OK, it's mostly young though: Windy, NWM, Mitchi, Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly, Mattaes, Hotton. It's shaping up to me as a 2024-25 team.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Saints58
Club Player

I agree we should make a big play for Bing Iam sure he will see how we go and the improvement of the list under the quality coaches that have come in over the last 2 years.
End of season is time to make a the play as Bing might not even play that much with the players that have played in his place and GC realise they do have replacement players that are very good,so this might help with the trade.
Now that Rankin has left the pack he had with the team not to leave and stay together is broken so he might be more inclined to move ,lets hope he doesn't sign a long term deal I know he wonted one last time and they only offered a 2 year.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Stack can play but its about where his head and application are at.

For me Eyre if he shows enough has to be included. We simply dont have enough genuine tall forward options. As has been mentioned on BF I wouldnt be surpised to see the club trade out a popular player or two in an attempt to attract Bing or get another 1st round choice at next years draft. There appears to be a lot more key forward options in next years draft.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Where has anyone suggested the Kings couldn't play in the same forward line?
They'd be superb together.

Just a question of paying the cost to get him.

I say, pay whatever we need to.

In 2 years our list will be very good and pushing top 4.
Add Ben King and we win a flag.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saints58
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 11 Dec 2022 5:06pm Where has anyone suggested the Kings couldn't play in the same forward line?
They'd be superb together.

Just a question of paying the cost to get him.

I say, pay whatever we need to.

In 2 years our list will be very good and pushing top 4.
Add Ben King and we win a flag.
[/quo

Most defiantly what ever the cost he is getting only 2 years at GC offer a 5 year first rounder and player like Battle for Bing and a 4 rounder
If that is no good be creative offer rounder Battle,Billings for Bing and 3 rounder we get Bing and we are premiership material plus Bing can play back in a pinch if needed

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Prefer not to lose Battle , but 2 x FRDPs for sure.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
lewdogs
Club Player

Bing is contracted until the end of 2024 so that's the next time we'll have a shot at him if he doesn't re-sign before then.

Killa
Club Player

What would Gold Coast offer for Max King?

And what would St Kilda accept?

I would not be placing any reliance on Ben King coming to St Kilda

Gold Coast have supported him thru his absence

He is Contracted until 2024

We need to work on who we can attract as Free Agents and continue drafting

We tried with the Collingwood player - so who is next on the target list?

Noting all Clubs will be active in this space - including the player’s current Clubs

Plus seeking out such as Membrey and Steele, so seeking out opportunities at the level because of the depth of talent at their current Clubs