Lyon and his vision of our 2023 game style.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon and his vision of our 2023 game style.

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 4:24pm Lyon has obviously made errors and had less sucessful years coaching, but we all have to ask will he be a better coach this time around? I believe the answer is a definitive yes. Not because of the list, but because of the things he has learnt along the journey.

Will he and his assistants extract more out of the list than Ratten, again thats a definitive yes! They are already showing and training a significant change in game style, that will have the club playing a more offensive style of footy and lesson oppositions choking our forward entries.

Will he show he can develop a younger list? I think the club have all the right people around him to suggest he can! What development staff did he have during his first stint at the club - answer zero! Did he develop younger players at Freo, obviously he did in the latter years.

The next question is what better coaching options were available? Again zero, Buckley has said he is not interested in coaching again and any others were tied to clubs. Clarkson may have been an option if the club acted more quickly with the Ratten decision, but he has the discrimination stuff hanging over his head.

So all in all I am happy with the RTB version III and I think the club made exactly the right call on the coach to replace Ratts.
We’ll said IS
Ignore the trolls with the “Ross fanboy” dribble
Blind Freddy could see where we were headed under Brett (nice guy, good assistant…not senior coach - see Rob Harvey).
It’s an ability IMO of a few proven senior coaches who have capabilities to drag the utmost best out if a list - be it by establishing clear non negotiable standards, through targeted training/ game plan (that ultimately players need to buy into)
Good coach

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 7:21pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 4:39pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 4:24pm
They are already showing and training a significant change in game style, that will have the club playing a more offensive style of footy and lesson oppositions choking our forward entries.
You have obviously been to all the training sessions, you say "significant" change, I'm curious, what specificly has struck you as the main differences in set plays, is it shape and position around stoppages and/or ground covererage , is it an aerial or ground mechanism into F50?
No just read all the information re training. The coaches are enforcing a 3 second rule, players only have 3 seconds before they have to play on. The mantra is quick ball movement and moving the ball at speed and not allowing oppositions to set up behind the play.
Yeah interesting, I'd love for someone (who knows), to give an insight into how the actual game plan is being revised with reference to the game plan for the past 3 seasons. All the noise so far seems to suggest all that is different is moving the ball quicker, does that mean we will still see long bombs to F50, but just quicker. As one example of changes to the game plan (some) fans wanted to see, what else didn't we like about the game plan under Ratts?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 8:46pm
They are already showing and training a significant change in game style, that will have the club playing a more offensive style of footy and lesson oppositions choking our forward entries.
You have obviously been to all the training sessions, you say "significant" change, I'm curious, what specificly has struck you as the main differences in set plays, is it shape and position around stoppages and/or ground covererage , is it an aerial or ground mechanism into F50?
No just read all the information re training. The coaches are enforcing a 3 second rule, players only have 3 seconds before they have to play on. The mantra is quick ball movement and moving the ball at speed and not allowing oppositions to set up behind the play.
Yeah interesting, I'd love for someone (who knows), to give an insight into how the actual game plan is being revised with reference to the game plan for the past 3 seasons. All the noise so far seems to suggest all that is different is moving the ball quicker, does that mean we will still see long bombs to F50, but just quicker. As one example of changes to the game plan (some) fans wanted to see, what else didn't we like about the game plan under Ratts?
I had a direct conversation with someone who knows.

Step 1.
Our forwards will lead high up the ground with an open, probably defensively zoned, forward line.
Higgins, Hayes, Membrey leading up.
Our midfield will close in on the lead, run into the defensive zone and kick goals.

Step 2.
When King comes back. They won't be able to double team him, they will need to block his leading lanes and if they do. Repeat step 1.

It was a simple philosophy.

I just hope we don't over possess the ball waiting for opportunities.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 12:49pm

Step 1.
Our forwards will lead high up the ground with an open, probably defensively zoned, forward line.
Our midfield will close in on the lead, run into the defensive zone and kick goals.

Step 2.
When King comes back. They won't be able to double team him, they will need to block his leading lanes and if they do. Repeat step 1.

Finally! Some meat on the bone, all this noise about how we are much better because people are using clear and loud voices had me worried.

I suppose over possession is possible with the 3 second rule? Meaning the poorer decision makers will panick and dispatch the ball to whoever because they don't want to break the 3 second rule? One around that is just make sure every disposal is forward and let chaos take care of the rest.

Higgins, Hayes and Membery leading high up the ground? How far from goals? We used to do this before Ratts arrived and he introduced the 30m zone for shots on goal hence bombing into that zone because we with the two way running game players were having trouble from fatigue with shots outside 30. Hence why the bomb it long strategy is used by nearly every club ...you have to have a game plan to overcome the taxing effort of two way running.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:09pm

Step 1.

Step 2.

Finally! Some meat on the bone, all this noise about how we are much better because people are using clear and loud voices had me worried.

I suppose over possession is possible with the 3 second rule? Meaning the poorer decision makers will panick and dispatch the ball to whoever because they don't want to break the 3 second rule? One around that is just make sure every disposal is forward and let chaos take care of the rest.

Higgins, Hayes and Membery leading high up the ground? How far from goals? We used to do this before Ratts arrived and he introduced the 30m zone for shots on goal hence bombing into that zone because we with the two way running game players were having trouble from fatigue with shots outside 30. Hence why the bomb it long strategy is used by nearly every club ...you have to have a game plan to overcome the taxing effort of two way running.
Hayes and Membrey are very good two way runners, I'm assuming Higgins has lost a fair bit of weight for the same reason.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:09pm

Step 1.

Step 2.

Hayes and Membrey are very good two way runners, I'm assuming Higgins has lost a fair bit of weight for the same reason.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:20pm

Members is possibly one of the best two way runners due to his athletic profile and Higgins struggled with the defensive running game due to poor fitness and conditioning but improved as the season got longer.

So does the game plan require these forwards to take long set shots from the high lead up or is there another set play after the mark? I.e look for a potential to score within 30m of goal?...or aren't they training that set play?....just practising long shots on goal? ....seems Unusual?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Applying the 3 (maybe as much as 5 seconds) second rule on those marks, makes sense.

If the defence hold position and intercept Hayes Membrey and Higgins have already met the converging midfield.

And we will hold the ball in our half.

I'm assuming until skillful kids develop and poorly skilled vets are pushed out. We are going to play chaos football.

If we slide to 6 wins Im guessing they will be high scoring slog fests that we gallantly run out and the losses will be frustrating fade aways.

But we are going to get fit and hardened, quickly we have much more talent than we did 4 years ago.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 2:47pm Applying the 3 (maybe as much as 5 seconds) second rule on those marks, makes sense.

If the defence hold position and intercept Hayes Membrey and Higgins have already met the converging midfield.

And we will hold the ball in our half.

I'm assuming until skillful kids develop and poorly skilled vets are pushed out. We are going to play chaos football.

If we slide to 6 wins Im guessing they will be high scoring slog fests that we gallantly run out and the losses will be frustrating fade aways.

But we are going to get fit and hardened, quickly we have much more talent than we did 4 years ago.
Great read CQ
Careful suggesting we have poorly skilled older players needing to be pushed out….the SS PC police on disrespect will be after you….

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Step 1.

Step 2.

Excuse my ignorance, but how is that different from last season? Membrey and co ended up in our defence at times, surely we want to get away from that? Its impossible to rebound quickly out of defence or even the wings if there are no stay at home forwards. The only positive for me was not allowing King to be double teamed....?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Membrey just went behind the footy (as a forward) at the end of quarters

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 7:41pm

Step 1.

Step 2.

Excuse my ignorance, but how is that different from last season? Membrey and co ended up in our defence at times, surely we want to get away from that? Its impossible to rebound quickly out of defence or even the wings if there are no stay at home forwards. The only positive for me was not allowing King to be double teamed....?
It’ll differ as it negates the “bomb it on Max’s head” rubbish that only poor AFL sides employ
Our forwards will lead - hallelujah!!!
Watch Swans - Buddy
Naughton - Dogs
Cameron - Cats etc
They lead ….they don’t have a Shyte game plan that just tries to sneak opportunistic goals from small forwards crumbing…

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 7:41pm

Step 1.

Step 2.

Which part of last year do you want to change, the first or the second.

Nonetheless we won games by over powering and out running teams. We took games in 25 mins and hung on for 50.

Then we just dropped off, as we succumbed to injury and inaccurate kicking. Game plan? We couldn't perform basic skills.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Honestly CQS, I don't see how the game plan is significantly better, there seems to be a lot of similarity' which I'm not suggesting is a bad thing, merely pointing out that most fans who are currently commenting on our game style are going by a "vibe", and when pushed, they seem unable to objectively articulate the differences between game plans.

It seems to me the bomb it long game plan is part of the modern game.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 9:23am Honestly CQS, I don't see how the game plan is significantly better, there seems to be a lot of similarity' which I'm not suggesting is a bad thing, merely pointing out that most fans who are currently commenting on our game style are going by a "vibe", and when pushed, they seem unable to objectively articulate the differences between game plans.

It seems to me the bomb it long game plan is part of the modern game.
Yes, that's right, Geelong are too strong, too talented and too wealthy and attract all the best players. That's the magic recipe that opens up the fans eyes and exposes their gameplan.

But somehow...................?

The bomb into the forward line is a tactic. Not a game plan. Sort out the game plan. 35 players are expected to live by it. If they can't understand it, or can't execute, they won't be playing.

Then on matchday, your play makers, employ tactics. This is called coaching.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 10:46am

can't execute, they won't be playing.

Isn't being able to execute the main ingredient that separates top 4 from bottom 4?

All good and well to have an awesome game plan, great game day tactician, blah, blah, blah, but if you don't have the skills, you can't pay the bills.

And then so what happens if the final piece of the puzzle is lack of talent to execute, frustration sets in, morale dives, players start become disillusioned, just ask Ross about that particular phenomenon in his final 4 years at Freo where he only had a 33% winning rate. All of a sudden managing 35 players becomes an exercise in hearding cats, just ask Ross how hard it is to keep players focussed when you aren't winning.

Do you think game plan and match day tactics was our biggest issue these past 3 seasons?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t Ross Lyon state

He doesn’t coach precision

He coaches structure and ball movement

Players must give effort

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 11:43am

Isn't being able to execute the main ingredient that separates top 4 from bottom 4?

All good and well to have an awesome game plan, great game day tactician, blah, blah, blah, but if you don't have the skills, you can't pay the bills.

And then so what happens if the final piece of the puzzle is lack of talent to execute, frustration sets in, morale dives, players start become disillusioned, just ask Ross about that particular phenomenon in his final 4 years at Freo where he only had a 33% winning rate. All of a sudden managing 35 players becomes an exercise in hearding cats, just ask Ross how hard it is to keep players focussed when you aren't winning.

Do you think game plan and match day tactics was our biggest issue these past 3 seasons?
No. We flipped the list systemically, promised better players and couldn't deliver a big fish.

We promised Ratten more time but then a better systems analyst saw his chance and took it. Enter Ross Lyon.

Injuries were the biggest problem, consistency and skill came next.

Ross Lyon will fix that but this time he is going to have to fast track some kids, who have been picked for fast tracking.

They all have size pace and skill. All of them.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

All coaches have weapons. Ratten had Steele, Ross, Tim Membrey and a lot of faith in King.
Sinclair Wilkie and Marshall found their niche and Paddy solved a problem temporary and created another at retirement.

Bomb it to King seemed like a reasonable tactic to begin with. Transitioning his team from there became a game plan issue.

The cattle ended up ripping down all the fences, got ticks, foot and mouth and lots went off to market.

We had no bonus picks, we rode the middle of the ladder, no interest from big fish and Hannerbery failed.

Doomed.

damienc
Club Player

A lot is being made of how RTB will approach the job second time around.

Understandable. He coached us before. Left in unfortunate circumstances. Now he is back.

Maybe he’s changed. Maybe he hasn’t. Maybe it will be for a short honeymoon and back to the old Ross we know and didn’t much care for.

My suggestion for what it’s worth. Cast aside all thoughts of RTB for the moment.

Instead, focus on the specialists he’s got helping him.

The main ones, make that the important ones, apart from Cory Enright, are the very best of what this football club produced.

They are revered alumni. I’m not going to say their names. We all know who they are. All of them champions in their own right when they played. None of them of course played in a St Kilda premiership team.

Now imagine this. You were good. The best at what you did. Week in week out. You won awards, accolades but no premiership medal. That’s got to hurt. That is unfinished business.

Now of course its not as if you can put the boots on and have another go. That ship has sailed. But what’s the next best thing? I can tell you.

Coaching a side that wins a premiership. It is just as good. And these guys know it. And that hunger for success is going to rub off on everyone they come into contact with.

It’s called human nature. Equally so, if you are a current player and a guy like Banger or Lenny is giving you advice you're going to listen because you know it’s coming from someone who bled red, white and black for this footy club. Someone who’s already walked in your shoes.

Now, I’m not going to say it’s already rubbing off on the playing group. But something is. Brad Hill wins the 3K time trial in a canter and still had plenty in reserve according to those who observed this. Clearly Hill is in the kind of nick that made us want him in the first place. Hill’s weapon used to be running his opponent into the ground, literally, because his fitness levels were elite. If he carries this into games this year then watch out.

Brad Crouch in ripping nick and training the house down. All this could be a coincidence. Sorry, I don’t believe in coincidences.

The two I’ve mentioned aren’t the only ones. They are many others.

Something is happening. Not sure what. It could end up being modest or extraordinary.

Not making predictions. But quietly very happy with where we are going.

That is all.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 2:37pm

All coaches have weapons. Ratten had Steele, Ross, Tim Membrey and a lot of faith in King.
Sinclair Wilkie and Marshall found their niche and Paddy solved a problem temporary and created another at retirement.

Bomb it to King seemed like a reasonable tactic to begin with. Transitioning his team from there became a game plan issue.

The cattle ended up ripping down all the fences, got ticks, foot and mouth and lots went off to market.

We had no bonus picks, we rode the middle of the ladder, no interest from big fish and Hannerbery failed.

Doomed.
It’s a joy to read you schooling some of our….SS colleagues …who purely want you to say
1. No such thing as game plan difference between sides - all are the same (which we know is dumb cause no 2 lists strengths/weaknesses are the same..)

2. Everyone bombs long to forwards all day like Brett’s team did….except they don’t.

Anyhoo keep on truckin with the education and I’m with you on the kids and excited- think they’ll push out some of the older less skilled models in time ..,
2023 - Development year for mine
2024 - on is when we ought to see a team employing a consistent brand …RTB has already said
“Lots of work to do here..”

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 12:30pm Didn’t Ross Lyon state

Players must give effort
Something like that, he doesn't coach skills, and never studies a list before accepting a coaching role. Suggests he didn't have a clue about any of the players, makes you wonder how his pitch to Bassett made any sense with regards to game style. How do you pitch a game style at a presentation if you haven't studied player capabilities?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 8:58am

Players must give effort
Something like that, he doesn't coach skills, and never studies a list before accepting a coaching role. Suggests he didn't have a clue about any of the players, makes you wonder how his pitch to Bassett made any sense with regards to game style. How do you pitch a game style at a presentation if you haven't studied player capabilities?
Yet you still think he was the right appointment?
Gobsmacked 😶

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 8:58am

Players must give effort
You ask for four years and get to work.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is the man, we hunted him.