Hinkley says that saints poor treatment of Ratts didn't surprise him.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Hinkley says that saints poor treatment of Ratts didn't surprise him.

He still holds a grudge about Blight's sacking. He and Jonas had option to stay but left.

Don't know the bloke from Adam however to top liners worry about their own backyards.

Perhaps when he walks out at qtr time when we play port an almight boo should ring out ....are we still allowed to boo in today's society?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 10:54am He still holds a grudge about Blight's sacking. He and Jonas had option to stay but left.

Don't know the bloke from Adam however to top liners worry about their own backyards.

Perhaps when he walks out at qtr time when we play port an almight boo should ring out ....are we still allowed to boo in today's society?
Of course we are, it is part of the human maturing process to let your emotions out.

Especially at the footy, and particularly because a bloke holds a supposed 23 year grudge after leaving, and then a decade of senior coaching behind him, seems perfectly plausible to me. Go hard with the boo.
Maybe you could sneak a loud hailer into the ground.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Booing is considered fair and foul by the passionate. The stakes are changing. Can you boo at a kids footy match? How about a game up the country?

By those who don’t care about team sports at all, I imagine those at the footy are seen as sad in the first place, and the booing just confirms their low IQ. ?? Maybe they laugh?

Top 5 observations about Ken-GT

1) if they had bad blood 🩸 after Blight, it didn’t stop Ken from applying for Scott Watters (if said is true)
2) Port have been very successful under Ken. Always a threat. Saints have beaten :| them in the biggest COVID year and not once before it since
3) Richo didn’t want to leave Port initially for the St Kilda job..didn’t we approach him? Then he declined, then a few weeks later rescinded and decided to have a go
4) Most rate Port’s chances much more highly than they do St Kilda’s in 2023 - this is THE ULTIMATE killer point one could make- I doubt GT would disagree
5) Port are a side we like to hate. Everyone just hates Port. It’s horrible and nasty and feral and Port adelaide - so it kinda of seeing the story through s***-tainted glasses IMO 👓

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Seriously who gives a Ratts?

They signed him ... we missed the finals from virtually an unmissable position ..... and we sacked him for good reason

Now that a few new coaches have come onboard it's pretty evident what Ratts n co weren't bringing to the table

Doesn't seem like the playing group give a crap either that he was canned and great that we had the balls to do it

As for Hinkley - deflect deflect deflect

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 4:53pm Seriously who gives a Ratts?

They signed him ... we missed the finals from virtually an unmissable position ..... and we sacked him for good reason

Now that a few new coaches have come onboard it's pretty evident what Ratts n co weren't bringing to the table

Doesn't seem like the playing group give a crap either that he was canned and great that we had the balls to do it

I know magic only happens for those who believe but should we at least wait a season or two before we call it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Clearly Stinkley doesn't want a part time job at the Saints next year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Plus one

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 4:53pm

Once the decision was made, what choice do you think they had?

The executive decides and the employees abide...or they also can choose to walk away and forego their 300K, 400K or 500K salaries

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 1:14pm Booing is considered fair and foul by the passionate. The stakes are changing. Can you boo at a kids footy match? How about a game up the country?

By those who don’t care about team sports at all, I imagine those at the footy are seen as sad in the first place, and the booing just confirms their low IQ. ?? Maybe they laugh?

Top 5 observations about Ken-GT

1) if they had bad blood 🩸 after Blight, it didn’t stop Ken from applying for Scott Watters (if said is true)
2) Port have been very successful under Ken. Always a threat. Saints have beaten :| them in the biggest COVID year and not once before it since
3) Richo didn’t want to leave Port initially for the St Kilda job..didn’t we approach him? Then he declined, then a few weeks later rescinded and decided to have a go
4) Most rate Port’s chances much more highly than they do St Kilda’s in 2023 - this is THE ULTIMATE killer point one could make- I doubt GT would disagree
5) Port are a side we like to hate. Everyone just hates Port. It’s horrible and nasty and feral and Port adelaide - so it kinda of seeing the story through s***-tainted glasses IMO 👓
Well, for years we struggled against them because they had guys like Robbie Gray, Ollie Wines and Travis Boak, then they recruited Connor Rozee and Zak Butters and Powell-Pepper. All prime movers of the footy. Pretty hard for us to beat them when we play a fairly stagnant brand of footy. The year we didn't play that way we beat them. Ironically that was probably in the best season they have had under Hinkley.

The loss against them in Cairns is pretty much a carbon copy of a lot of the losses we've had against them in the past ten or eleven seasons. Our lack of concentration ended up costing us dearly. When we played them last season and the year we played them in China, they were really poor until they played us and we got them going.

Whether we will be able to beat them this year, in Melbourne, in front of a crowd, for the first time in ten years is yet to be seen. But you can't go much closer than a point and if we improve at all, then we should - but when I look at their players, and then I look at ours, I see a real gulf in class there. I see us as probably having a nine win season in 2023 before moving up the ladder again in 2024.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 20 Feb 2023 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 1:25pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 12:40pm I think Hinkley is just trying to shore up his own job. It is quite remarkable that he has managed to stay at Port for 10 years without a premiership, just 3 prelims.

He would be well aware that the proverbial axe is in a raised position in 2-team Adelaide, more than likely the only reason he's been spared is that the Crows have not won a premiership since 1998.

Nonetheless, I do rate Hinkley as a senior coach - a bold prediction for 2023: if Carlton miss the finals this year Michael Voss will get the chop and the Blues will sign Hinkley.....
Just 3 prelims? Crickey his record is killing anything we've achieved in that time, JHF will be the difference, expect them to make the finals, possibly top 4.

If he wins a flag this year his record will be fairly impressive, most StKilda supporters would take 1 flag in 10 years.
Hinkley is a good coach and has been really effective with Port and is unlucky not to have taken them to at least one grand final back in 2014 and in 2020.

They have plenty of good players - Wines, Boak, Butters, Rozee, Powell-Pepper, Rioli, and they have some good big players too, like Jonas and Dixon. Aliir is a great half back. Seriously underrated. Horne-Francis will be good for them, but he won't be the difference to propel them back into the top four - they could do that anyway.

I don't think they are as good as Brisbane though, or Geelong or Melbourne. They are probably below Richmond too at the moment.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 10:10pm
Devilhead wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 4:53pm

Once the decision was made, what choice do you think they had?

The executive decides and the employees abide...or they also can choose to walk away and forego their 300K, 400K or 500K salaries
Pretty sure it has been documented that many in the squad were disengaged under Ratts towards the end

It's not the players had to abide by Rattens sacking because likely the players wanted it

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 6:35pm

I know magic only happens for those who believe but should we at least wait a season or two before we call it?
Fairly clear "magic" wasn't gunna happen under Ratts and the management called it

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 1:30am Pretty sure it has been documented that many in the squad were disengaged under Ratts towards the end

It's not the players had to abide by Rattens sacking because likely the players wanted it
You continue to make broad statements without substance. First you claimed it's evident what Ratts wasn't bringing to the table and players didn't care he got canned and now you're doubling down

Where has it been 'documented' in public? Point me to it please

Has any sports website or any major newspaper said similar. I'll believe what you wrote if you provide a link

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 2:15am
Devilhead wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 1:30am Pretty sure it has been documented that many in the squad were disengaged under Ratts towards the end

You continue to make broad statements without substance. First you claimed it's evident what Ratts wasn't bringing to the table and players didn't care he got canned and now you're doubling down

Has any sports website or any major newspaper said similar. I'll believe what you wrote if you provide a link
Only reiterating what I have heard and read somewhere

And plenty of observers have claimed that training standards have improved out of sight as have player attitudes it seems

Anyway seems I have hit a sore spot

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 21 Feb 2023 8:26am

And plenty of observers have claimed that training standards have improved out of sight as have player attitudes it seems

Seems you believe any bs anyone sprouts in any bs format and from any bs source

You'll hit a sore spot if you come up with something of substance

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 11:12pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 1:25pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 12:40pm I think Hinkley is just trying to shore up his own job. It is quite remarkable that he has managed to stay at Port for 10 years without a premiership, just 3 prelims.

He would be well aware that the proverbial axe is in a raised position in 2-team Adelaide, more than likely the only reason he's been spared is that the Crows have not won a premiership since 1998.

Nonetheless, I do rate Hinkley as a senior coach - a bold prediction for 2023: if Carlton miss the finals this year Michael Voss will get the chop and the Blues will sign Hinkley.....
Just 3 prelims? Crickey his record is killing anything we've achieved in that time, JHF will be the difference, expect them to make the finals, possibly top 4.

If he wins a flag this year his record will be fairly impressive, most StKilda supporters would take 1 flag in 10 years.
Hinkley is a good coach and has been really effective with Port and is unlucky not to have taken them to at least one grand final back in 2014 and in 2020.

They have plenty of good players - Wines, Boak, Butters, Rozee, Powell-Pepper, Rioli, and they have some good big players too, like Jonas and Dixon. Aliir is a great half back. Seriously underrated. Horne-Francis will be good for them, but he won't be the difference to propel them back into the top four - they could do that anyway.

I don't think they are as good as Brisbane though, or Geelong or Melbourne. They are probably below Richmond too at the moment.
Maybe, but the dropkick is first in line for the next sacked coach award.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 7:58am

So you clearly then dismiss training reports posted both here and on BF that training standards have improved ..... just bs sources on bs formats :lol: ....... yet here you are :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think you should go with about 4 laughing emojis in any debate. Helps your posts even if you haven’t got evidence to back up your case

By the way, I come here mainly for substance. I know it has become an ever decreasing percentage of the total posts here on the fan forum, but it does still exist and there are some good posts from some contributors.

The other substance we all want will be evident after a few rounds of the real stuff.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Then there Wilkie who said in his recent interview

"That there was a divide in the group but now everyone is on the same page"

But maybe you think Wilkie is talking bs trash as well??

Just for you ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Was the divide because Ratten was sacked, or because of something else?

Do you know how to interpret what someone says do you?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

There's a video of a Wilkie presser maybe a month ago.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?t=105511

The most telling thing from that presser was a reference he made - about half way through - to everyone having buy in and being on the same page. Next sentence he said there was division in the group previously. A telling reference to the dysfunction in the coaching group and players in the last half of last year. He's hardly going to go into detail, but to me that was clear evidence from the horse's mouth that Ratten had lost a chunk of the playing group.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 5:27pm

The most telling thing from that presser was a reference he made - about half way through - to everyone having buy in and being on the same page. Next sentence he said there was division in the group previously. A telling reference to the dysfunction in the coaching group and players in the last half of last year. He's hardly going to go into detail, but to me that was clear evidence from the horse's mouth that Ratten had lost a chunk of the playing group.
Thanks for posting.

I know a few interpreted it that way, but that’s not the impressions I had when I first saw the Wilkie interview

I’ll look at it again with an open mind and without the narrative that has been ongoing in some of the threads on saintsational

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Cheers for the apology :wink: :evil:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:29pm Cheers for the apology :wink: :evil:
I just watched the video

Wilkie's exact words were that there was division in the ‘group’. He didn’t say players! You and others have implied he was talking about division between players and the senior coach

Have another listen. The questions from journos were about the atmosphere at the club with the new coaching group

The division he was referring to was division between coaches last year and we all know from tony74’s posts in July that McGlynn and Lade were on the nose and on the way out.

Byron has gone as far as saying that Ratts had 'lost a chunk of the playing group'

That is a long stretch to extrapolate from a media interview that was all about Wilkie being positive about the year ahead and positive about the attitude of players and positive about the new coaches
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 23 Feb 2023 8:37am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 5:27pm

I’m yet to see or hear any clear evidence.

What is clear St.byron; is that you personally had a view last year around the time that it was announced that Brett Ratten had received a contract renewal, and that you (and other posters here on saintsational and influential ex St Kilda people including Roo and GT) were against the decision made by Lethlean and Finnis. The narrative hasn’t changed

I disagree that Ratten had lost a ‘chunk of the playing group’. The Wilkie presser doesn’t prove anything.

The pressure will mount once the season proper is in full swing. Let’s see how united the coaches will be when Lyon starts blaming them for some of our losses. Let’s see how positive the vibe and atmosphere will be if Lyon starts going ballistic at some of his players.

What do you think will happen in 2023 if Higgins and Butler and Billings keep getting games and not performing, and you have the likes of Ollie Hotton and Peris playing at Sandy? Or…what do you think the young talls will be feeling if Cordy and Campbell are preferred and they are not contributing or helping the team with wins on the board?

How do you think Bytel and Stocker will feel if Crouch and Ross get 70%+ of game time in the middle and Bytel and Stocker only get a handful of games (i.e limited opportunities to gain consistency) and when they do play they get less than 50% game time in the centre and at stoppages?

I think there’s always some division within a large playing list and that is healthy for competition for spots.