Why not.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Why not.

Saints are as good as anyone. We have beaten two of last years finalists in Freo and the Doggies, Easily ran over the top of what was considered the form team in the drug cheats and gone within a whisker of drawing with the filth, a cup favorite. All with a huge injury list.

So why not finals, top 4 even and potentially playing off in the big one. I am entitled to dream.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why not.

Gee we like Ross now I bet…

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Exactly
Why not us
Have said before , over the last number of years we have beaten the eventual premier. This shows that we are capable , we've just been inconsistent.
Every body around the club has been talking about how Ross and his colleagues have changed the mindset of the players so after many years that consistently is there .
In the loss to Collingwood with about a minute to go , the TV showed Ross smiling in the box . He knew we weren't going to win but he also knew that we're contenders.
We are lacking in many ways but the players have bought in (whatever that means) So with a mix of talented kids who bring excitement and Experienced professionals who know the grind of a long season , the team as a whole can see the possibilities ahead .

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

They say timing is everything.

The 2009-11 team came across the most dominant Geelong team ever and whilst Collingwood wasn’t exactly a dynasty… they blew up that one season and fired on all cylinders.

The 04-06 era saw the battle hardened Power who had been one of the best for a while get it together… then you had the gift it to Sydney time and we were really done by 06 as it were.

If either of those sets of teams came across the Bulldogs, WCE, Richmond or most/if not all of the premiers in the last 5-6 years, we’d have won by 10 goals.

As it stands right now… and yes it’s early days, no dominant force has emerged.
Collingwood look good but not exactly omnipotent. They struggled vs Essendon and fell over the line against us.

Melbourne seem like they could be firing up and are threatening… Geelong have announced that they’re not done yet…
Richmond and Brisbane are poking around, Carlton and Port have promise.

At present we look as good as any of them.

They are on easy games but geeeez every week seems more important than the next. Port are a possible contender and would be another huge scalp for us

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

because Vortex says so

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Let's dare to dream but be aware of a few things before we get cocky.

1. Teams will start to work out better ways to play us as the year goes on
2. Our form will fluctuate, we're only 1 Qtr the way through the season

Our game plan is well and truly on point but do we miss 1 or 2 elite players to win us a grand final? It will be interesting to see how King goes when he's back as he could be the one that gives us that edge. Also, other guys continuing to improve as the season progresses might be enough.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 26 Apr 2023 8:48am Let's dare to dream but be aware of a few things before we get cocky.

Our game plan is well and truly on point but do we miss 1 or 2 elite players to win us a grand final? It will be interesting to see how King goes when he's back as he could be the one that gives us that edge. Also, other guys continuing to improve as the season progresses might be enough.
3. Other clubs will get fitter as the year goes on. Currently this is where we are exposing teams.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I know it’s only early days, but Collingwood will be tough to beat and head-to-head on the MCG, it’s hard to see us being able to match it with their midfield.

We’re a Diacos and DeGoey short.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Daicos - Sinclair
DeGoey - Owens

:)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Only because you asked:
MRO
Umps
Weather
Charlie Cameron

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 25 Apr 2023 9:07pm Gee we like Ross now I bet…
Please don't reply to my posts. Just shoo fly. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree Saynta but we were thinking that after last years start, so I am cautious. Having said that if we can get some luck with injuries for the rest of the season and get the entire list in form, I cant see why we cant. Our only perceived weakness matching up against the likes of Melbourne is the 2nd ruck/tall forward position. If we can get Caminiti or Jack Hayes firing in that role it would go a long way to taking us deep into September.

The other possible top 4 sides are Collingwood and Geelong. I think when all our troops return we will have Collingwood covered and Geelong will struggle to kick through our defensive structure. We won last week after getting beaten in contested possession and clearances, that wont happen every week so we will need to maintain the levels in that regard.

Surely we are due for a change of luck and can will ourselves to pinch one this year? Who would have thought that to be even considered this year.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 26 Apr 2023 8:55am
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 26 Apr 2023 8:48am Let's dare to dream but be aware of a few things before we get cocky.

3. Other clubs will get fitter as the year goes on. Currently this is where we are exposing teams.
Agreed and we will see that probably from now onwards all teams will have similar fitness levels.

That said I think we have a lot of guys who are just naturally better runners than other clubs have.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Wed 26 Apr 2023 9:17am I know it’s only early days, but Collingwood will be tough to beat and head-to-head on the MCG, it’s hard to see us being able to match it with their midfield.

We’re a Diacos and DeGoey short.
I do agree but we have a couple of things going for us.

1. Steele will play and hopefully be in prime form by then should the match-up occur
2. Ross won't let Daicos have 40 touches again. He mentioned in his press conference something along the lines of "Saints fans don't worry we won't let that happen again"
3. The MGC actually suits us more than the Marvel running wise and while Collingwood mids are also excellent runners I think we may have a slight fitness edge and ability to run at high speed for longer.

Even so, it's going to be tough and we may not be good enough. Can't wait to find out though.