Steele Carrying Injured Knee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steele Carrying Injured Knee

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 8:01pm Alright everyone is an expert on team selection… let’s bat on with Bytel over Steele against Richmond this weekend (will never happen) and when we lose don’t come complaining back to me about why we needed Steele.

Bytel has had plenty of opportunity to prove his AFL readiness and he gets a good string of games together and gets injured. If he felt like he was getting held back why hasn’t he requested a trade like Paddy Dow to other clubs?

On Luke Ball. A source my Dad knows close to the club told him that Luke Ball left the club for off field reasons. He was a closet gay and it came out whilst he was married which Luke Ball blamed the club and the players for. He requested to trade out at the end of the season. Had nothing to do with Ross Lyon. Facts here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/121241/sain ... ers%20knew.
You obviously never read that story. It is not about Luke Ball FFS,

Do you even know how man y AFL games Bytel has played?

One thing he hasn't had is opportunity, despite what you state above.

I suggest you remove your despicable defamatory post before you and the forum get sued
Last edited by saynta on Wed 14 Jun 2023 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I agree with others suggesting Steele needs to be rested. He is obviously playing restricted and is not himself and its showing in his games. Consistently throughout the year RTB has been 'chest beating' suggesting this season was a year of exploring the list. Well how about being true to your word and stop playing obviously injury restricted players. If Steele needs a clean up or operation on his knee, send him off and bring in others to see what you truly have on the list. They allowed him to play way too early after his collar bone injury and now made the same mistake with the knee, it serves little to the team and future development.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 8:12pm I agree with others suggesting Steele needs to be rested. He is obviously playing restrcited and not himself and its showing in his games. Consistently throughout the year RTB has been 'chest beating' suggesting this season was a year of exploring the list. Well how about being true to your word and stop playing obviously injury restricted players. If Steele needs a clean up or operation on his knee, send him off and bring in others to see what you truly have on the list. They allowed him to play way too early after his collar bone injury and now made the same mistake with the knee, it serves little to the team and future development.
Well said. My thoughts completely.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 8:11pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 8:01pm Alright everyone is an expert on team selection… let’s bat on with Bytel over Steele against Richmond this weekend (will never happen) and when we lose don’t come complaining back to me about why we needed Steele.

Bytel has had plenty of opportunity to prove his AFL readiness and he gets a good string of games together and gets injured. If he felt like he was getting held back why hasn’t he requested a trade like Paddy Dow to other clubs?

On Luke Ball. A source my Dad knows close to the club told him that Luke Ball left the club for off field reasons. He was a closet gay and it came out whilst he was married which Luke Ball blamed the club and the players for. He requested to trade out at the end of the season. Had nothing to do with Ross Lyon. Facts here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/121241/sain ... ers%20knew.

I suggest you remove your despicable defamatory post before you and the forum get sued
Saynta normally I’m in agreement with you but you stepped out of line a bit. No need to attack me, I’m just stating the facts here. Jack Steele is important and needs to play unless he physically can’t.

I know how many games Bytel has played. He’s played 21 games. That’s 3 more games than Mitchito Owens (he’s a regular and a gun), and Marcus Windhager has played 25 and was taken around the same pick as Bytel and is showing more in two seasons than the four seasons that Bytel has. Based on this “statistical fact” Bytel has had plenty of opportunities.

As for my “despicable defamatory post” … I’m not defaming anyone. I love Luke Ball and was sad to see him go just like everyone else was. I could have been more tactful than saying “closet gay” maybe I should say “Ball was someone who was exploring his sexuality”. I am not against people who prefer the same sex, I have friends and family who are gay.

It’s pretty common knowledge about Luke Ball, a lot of Collingwood and Saints fan know this so this forum isn’t at risk of getting sued. Ball has come out about this in a plethora of articles posted on AFL.com and Herald Sun. I’m just correcting everyone here who keeps saying Ball was forced out by Ross Lyon. This simply wasn’t the case.

There’s a dark side to AFL football Saynta. I can tell you stories as to why Jack Steven left the club for Geelong.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 9:10pm

Saynta normally I’m in agreement with you but you stepped out of line a bit. No need to attack me, I’m just stating the facts here. Jack Steele is important and needs to play unless he physically can’t.

I know how many games Bytel has played. He’s played 21 games. That’s 3 more games than Mitchito Owens (he’s a regular and a gun), and Marcus Windhager has played 25 and was taken around the same pick as Bytel and is showing more in two seasons than the four seasons that Bytel has. Based on this “statistical fact” Bytel has had plenty of opportunities.

As for my “despicable defamatory post” … I’m not defaming anyone. I love Luke Ball and was sad to see him go just like everyone else was. I could have been more tactful than saying “closet gay” maybe I should say “Ball was someone who was exploring his sexuality”. I am not against people who prefer the same sex, I have friends and family who are gay.

It’s pretty common knowledge about Luke Ball, a lot of Collingwood and Saints fan know this so this forum isn’t at risk of getting sued. Ball has come out about this in a plethora of articles posted on AFL.com and Herald Sun. I’m just correcting everyone here who keeps saying Ball was forced out by Ross Lyon. This simply wasn’t the case.

There’s a dark side to AFL football Saynta. I can tell you stories as to why Jack Steven left the club for Geelong.
You do know that Luke Ball and Jason Ball aren't the same person and yet when it's pointed out, you just keep rambling on, like you are in possession of some facts. I'd give myself a week's ban and an uppercut.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 9:14pm

You do know that Luke Ball and Jason Ball aren't the same person and yet when it's pointed out, you just keep rambling on, like you are in possession of some facts. I'd give myself a week's ban and an uppercut.
Will do.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Why post an article that had nothing to do with Luke FFS. Answer that.

And for the record. I didn;t step out of line. I gave you a piece of friendly advice which you have chosen to ignore, so I can only hope a mod sees you defamitory post and removes it.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I edited it. Don’t know how to remove.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:48pm Luke Ball should be a good example of what happens when you continue to push a mid thru injury.
Correct

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Do you have any more of these articles where Luke Ball talks about being gay?
Can you identify the wife he had at St.Kilda? Was it the same one he married in 2013, a few years after he left St.Kilda, or was it the other wife that he never had. Were you born in 2013?
Maybe Lukes imaginary first wife is still in that closet that Luke never actually came out of. Was she a closet wife?
How about your dad? Does he remember that Luke's name isn't Jason or was Jason Luke's real name and only your dad and a few Collingwood supporters knew the truth about that.
What will your next nic be?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 15 Jun 2023 12:50am

Can you identify the wife he had at St.Kilda? Was it the same one he married in 2013, a few years after he left St.Kilda, or was it the other wife that he never had. Were you born in 2013?
Maybe Lukes imaginary first wife is still in that closet that Luke never actually came out of. Was she a closet wife?
How about your dad? Does he remember that Luke's name isn't Jason or was Jason Luke's real name and only your dad and a few Collingwood supporters knew the truth about that.
:D :) :lol: :evil: :twisted: :wink:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

For mine, I'm not interested in what injury they're carrying. Mason Wood is carrying a shoulder injury. They all would have something, some worse than others. If you declare yourself fit then you are as fit as every other player out on the park and there are zero excuses for your performance. If Jack can't perform up to his optimum level then he needs to suggest to the match committee that he needs a spell, otherwise he needs to find a way to play better. It's that simple.

Last game he played against Swans he was quite good. Prior to that, no so much. Really a non story and not sure why Steele would give it any oxygen.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 15 Jun 2023 2:08pm ... If Jack can't perform up to his optimum level then he needs to suggest to the match committee that he needs a spell, .....
Mnn.

Call me cynical, but when I do not know the inside story, I try to imagine (honestly imagine..) what the incentives are for the various parties.

It is an era of statistics nowadays, empirical mumbo jumbo. Players, managers, and coaches tick off Key Performance Indicators for their paychecks. It is important for their market value going forward. A fitness coach may be at St Kilda in 2023, and be applying for a job at some rugby team in NSW in 2028. Their PowerPoint will include graphs pointing to how many games the 2023 forward line at St Kilda lost to injury on their watch. A manager might be trying to flog a player down the track to a rival club. All the parties are acutely aware of the numbers going into those columns on the Excel sheet. Thresholds for bonus payments, contract bargaining chips, special gifts, and favors (real estate introductions, etc. - the stuff we don't hear about). Legend status for post-career livelihoods. (ex- St Kilda 200 gamer bla bla..will speak tonight..etc.) are all part of the incentives for parties to push for 'playing-rather-than-resting'.

Jack Steele may be captain, and if he happens to know St Kilda are now a serious competitive team, he knows he can be put to pasture on quick notice.

In other words, it is now a 'put-your-hand-up-to-play-at-all-costs' culture.

I noticed it started happening in the '90s in cricket too.

I am not saying they do it just for the coin, I do not know why they do what they do, but I am saying the players are commodities and there are a lot of people in their orbit incentivized to encourage them to play.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It's clearly too heavy for him. Someone else should carry it for him.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to hear from Ross at the presser that the report on Steele's knee is a media beat up.

If that's the case, he is horribly out of form and needs to address it quickly or play VFL.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 15 Jun 2023 1:57pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 15 Jun 2023 12:50am

:D :) :lol: :evil: :twisted: :wink:
Some classy posting here

“Yeah….nah””
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 14 Jun 2023 2:48pm Luke Ball should be a good example of what happens when you continue to push a mid thru injury.
And he left to Pies....didn't take any extra time off for his 'injury' and continued to play the next season...he could have done the same at St Kilda. Yes, he was carrying an injury, he could've rested during the season but he was cleared to play by medical & wanted to play, and was our best option for the role...so what's your point?
Ross PURPOSEFULLY pushed him & others to play whilst seriously injured? Is that the actual thing you want to say?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I thought it was pretty common knowledge about both. But I guess not.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 10:45am Interesting to hear from Ross at the presser that the report on Steele's knee is a media beat up.

If that's the case, he is horribly out of form and needs to address it quickly or play VFL.
Heard that too
He keeps putting his hand up to play apparently..
If it’s a form issue it’s even worse …

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It came from Steele himself - in a channel 9 news media grab

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 12:58pm
And he left to Pies....didn't take any extra time off for his 'injury' and continued to play the next season...he could have done the same at St Kilda. Yes, he was carrying an injury, he could've rested during the season but he was cleared to play by medical & wanted to play, and was our best option for the role...so what's your point?
Ross PURPOSEFULLY pushed him & others to play whilst seriously injured? Is that the actual thing you want to say?
Ball’s OP issues occurred years before he left.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 11:15pm It came from Steele himself - in a channel 9 news media grab
Oh so Lyon Lying then?
Categorically stated his knee is not the issue and captain keeps putting his hand up to play?

“Yeah….nah””
StPeter
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Jun 2023 11:15pm It came from Steele himself - in a channel 9 news media grab
In a channel 7 news interview Steele also said mid-week he has knee problems but said he is determined to play through them.

Quite the opposite of what RTB said post match. He must be unaware of Steele's words.

Sounds like a cover-up of Steele's true position.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Mon 19 Jun 2023 1:01am
In a channel 7 news interview Steele also said mid-week he has knee problems but said he is determined to play through them.

Quite the opposite of what RTB said post match. He must be unaware of Steele's words.

Sounds like a cover-up of Steele's true position.

Lyon even asked Saints media team where that came from his words “it’s inaccurate”
He said he’d had general sorenesss but keeps “declaring himself to play”
Who knows?

“Yeah….nah””
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Saying something incendiary about Luke Ball "which is an open secret" and then, as proof, linking to an article about Jason Ball is not Saintsaiional's greatest moment.

Funniest, saddest or most actionable, maybe.