Team vs Brisbane

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team vs Brisbane

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:41pm I actually think we’ll win this. Brisbane are out of form and poor on the road. I feel confident
I don’t know I would go quite so far, but I do feel we are in with a chance. They’re pretty crap away from home and, although we’re pretty crap in general, we’re a 2-3 goal better team at the Docklands. Not much in it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

But I am worried about our severely under strength midfield. I really hope that Bytel is the sub, but I suspect it will be Sharman again.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Killa
Club Player

We have won 8 games to date and the side is sitting inside the 8

So you respect the players who have the side in this position

IF we were sitting on 4 wins as a comparative and near the bottom of the table then you could understand some of the kids playing at VFL level being given opportunity at AFL level

Ahead of the likes of Billings, Clark, Coffield, Membrey and Jones being available we do not have much in the way of experience on our List

I would imagine that Paton will be given the unenviable job on Cameron

Given where we sit, we are in this to make the statement that given we play finals we are not just there to make up the numbers

I do not think Steele (nor Lyon) would put self in front of team so the selection criteria is that Steele can perform

On that basis he stays in front of Bytel

We bemoan the absence of variations among our mids

Bytel and Steele are like for like

Sinclair brings a point of difference

I would expect that Sinclair effectively replaces Ross (in the absence of Clark who has been badly missed)

Then there Is Crouch

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 11:34pm We have won 8 games to date and the side is sitting inside the 8

So you respect the players who have the side in this position

IF we were sitting on 4 wins as a comparative and near the bottom of the table then you could understand some of the kids playing at VFL level being given opportunity at AFL level

Ahead of the likes of Billings, Clark, Coffield, Membrey and Jones being available we do not have much in the way of experience on our List

I would imagine that Paton will be given the unenviable job on Cameron

Given where we sit, we are in this to make the statement that given we play finals we are not just there to make up the numbers

I do not think Steele (nor Lyon) would put self in front of team so the selection criteria is that Steele can perform

On that basis he stays in front of Bytel

We bemoan the absence of variations among our mids

Bytel and Steele are like for like

Sinclair brings a point of difference

I would expect that Sinclair effectively replaces Ross (in the absence of Clark who has been badly missed)

Then there Is Crouch
Bytel is fit, we are being conned that Steele is fit, his performances show that he is not. Let's not let BS define us.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:37pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:10pm We need a big bodied midfielder who can impact at stoppages. We don't have any right now. Bytel is as good as it gets based on his VFL form.

Questions asked about if he deserves a spot on the list next year, when better to find out than when we're under the pump in that area.
Disagree

Now is not the time to try out players
Now is the time to win games

We desperately need to win.

The aim isn’t and never should be to do right by any single player.

It is win at all costs.

Competitive.
Our selection policy at the beginning of the year seemed to be based on who was fit and firing. Steele is not fit while Byrnes and Caminiti are certainly not firing. Glad to see Seb finally dropped after 6 poor games. I don't get the logic in dropping Sharman who has done as well as you could possibly expect from a sub over the past two weeks, kicking the sealer against Sydney and racked up 11 spoils in around 30% TOG against Richmond. Bytel is fit and firing along with Connolly, Peris and Heath all performing well and could inject some youthful enthusiasm into a squad that looks burnt out.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 8:14pm
Banger9798 wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 8:08pm A fit Bytel > injured Steele
Not much exploration going on , in this exploration year
Good point.

Tell it to the fanboys.
Fanboys and NegativeNancies …fascinating site atm
Lucky we are all hoping the team succeeds…aren’t we?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 12:15am
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:37pm
Otiman wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:10pm We need a big bodied midfielder who can impact at stoppages. We don't have any right now. Bytel is as good as it gets based on his VFL form.

Questions asked about if he deserves a spot on the list next year, when better to find out than when we're under the pump in that area.
Disagree

Now is not the time to try out players
Now is the time to win games

We desperately need to win.

The aim isn’t and never should be to do right by any single player.

It is win at all costs.

Competitive.
Our selection policy at the beginning of the year seemed to be based on who was fit and firing. Steele is not fit while Byrnes and Caminiti are certainly not firing. Glad to see Seb finally dropped after 6 poor games. I don't get the logic in dropping Sharman who has done as well as you could possibly expect from a sub over the past two weeks, kicking the sealer against Sydney and racked up 11 spoils in around 30% TOG against Richmond. Bytel is fit and firing along with Connolly, Peris and Heath all performing well and could inject some youthful enthusiasm into a squad that looks burnt out.
The Sharman omission is interesting if have liked to see him play with Caminiti resting
I think we’ll give this a red hot shake

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 11:22pm
MC Gusto wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:41pm I actually think we’ll win this. Brisbane are out of form and poor on the road. I feel confident
I don’t know I would go quite so far, but I do feel we are in with a chance. They’re pretty crap away from home and, although we’re pretty crap in general, we’re a 2-3 goal better team at the Docklands. Not much in it.
I've heard they've won something like 7 of their last 9 at Docklands.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 1:18am
meher baba wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 11:22pm
I've heard they've won something like 7 of their last 9 at Docklands.
We are unquestionably the out-of-form team in this match up.

Last five games

Brisbane
W 3
L2
Percentage 115.4%

St Kilda
W 2
L3
Percentage 87.4%

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

meher baba wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 11:24pm But I am worried about our severely under strength midfield. I really hope that Bytel is the sub, but I suspect it will be Sharman again.
Steele has his lowest numbers since 2020. I may have already said this. Injury cloud.

Crouch, despite his 30+ possessions, isn't damaging like Lachie Neale or Matt Rowell of the Suns. His kicks and handpasses are as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Sincs is a shining light in there, but one man can't do it all

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Paton in frees up Sincs to spend more time on the ball.

I personally would make more changes to the team but equally understand the benefits of keeping changes to a minimum week to week.

There are still 9 games left and we're genuinely contending for a spot in the 8- I'd be disappointed if we did anything other than put the side out on the park the coaches believe gives us the best possible chance of winning.

Bytel, like Sharman, has been good at VFL level but he also hasn't been putting up numbers which scream "I don't belong here"

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 8:43am Paton in frees up Sincs to spend more time on the ball.

I personally would make more changes to the team but equally understand the benefits of keeping changes to a minimum week to week.

There are still 9 games left and we're genuinely contending for a spot in the 8- I'd be disappointed if we did anything other than put the side out on the park the coaches believe gives us the best possible chance of winning.

Bytel, like Sharman, has been good at VFL level but he also hasn't been putting up numbers which scream "I don't belong here"
Voice of reason mate spot on
For mine - I could not care less if we don’t play finals at all but I understand the coaching group, while we sit 5th, want to put the best team on the park they can
People suggesting Bytel over Steele obviously miss his 17 possession games at AFL level ….he’s not the messiah

Imo Steele,Crouch,Windhager & Sincs will be the 4 inside mids for the game with Paton releasing Sincs

I would throw Owens on ball fit bursts as well

The Ross omission sends a message that we are changing the guard and that’s a good thing
For his 1 good quarter last week - his efforts in the final qtr on the wrong side of Taranto arguably ended our hope
We can’t keep playing players (I don’t care if they win a BnF under Richo) who pick n choose when they’re going to switch on. We will never be a top 4 side if we do
Crouch has been a lone trier in that midfield but he has st least been consistent in effort.

“Yeah….nah””
StPeter
Club Player

All fourteen tipsters in The Age go for Brisbane.

But then all, bar one, tipped Melbourne last night!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:43pm I honestly think Bytel is a better player than Byrnes
I agree with you.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 2:09pm All fourteen tipsters in The Age go for Brisbane.

But then all, bar one, tipped Melbourne last night!
Love it when they are against us...that makes me feel much more comfortable than when we are favourites. RTB loves a backs to the wall situation

#1 Ryder fan
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

For all the chatter it doesn't feel like a real 4th vs 5th game.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 2:26pm
B.M wrote: Thu 22 Jun 2023 9:43pm I honestly think Bytel is a better player than Byrnes
I agree with you.
I think King is a better player than Byrnes too. But I'm not going to put King or Bytel in a running outside wing role. Thats not going to help the centre clearance problem.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Any suggestion that sparkling form in the VFL means Bytel will necessarily do well in the seniors is misplaced, Sandringham is languising in the bottom 6 on the ladder and barely competitive, just 3 wins from 11 games. Naturally the more experienced Saints players are going to rack up impressive stats in the seonds, so they should but it means bugger-all.

We have to rely on the selectors, of whom RL is only one, to make judgements based on their knowledge of the players and the team they're up against.

I've mentioned elsewhere this week that I don't expect the selectors to make too many personnel changes while they remain a chance to make the top 8. So far this season St Kilda have used only 28 players in the seniors, the least of any team, the average is 34.

We also need to understand that in 8 of the 13 games so far the team has come away with the points, some of which have come despite not playing all that well.

The thing that stands out for me is that apart from the belting by Adelaide, this side has been competitive right to the end in every game. Last week against Richmond they squandered quite a few genuine chances in the last quarter to kick goals which effectively cost them the game.

Lyon has correctly stated that this team has always given full effort, an aspect that let them down badly in the second half of the 2022 season. It indicates that the players are totally committed to the game plan designed by Lyon and his assistants, which likewise was not the case post the bye last year.

Skill levels continue to be the major problem, they are well able to get the ball into the forward 50, it's simply their inability to convert these opportunties that needs to be fixed.

The only thing that I would like to see is for the coaches to be a bit more adventurous switching players around during a game in order to be less predictable, but that's easy for me to say, what would I know?? :lol:

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

This is really deckchairs on the Titanic tonight.
There is not a thrid where our players are better than theirs.

Their defence will be way better than our attack. Especially with keeping Caminiti in the team.
They have an amazing midfield lead by Lachie Neale. Big O has turned into a very, very good ruckman.
Their forward line has way too much talent for our defence. There's no ideal match up for Wilke. He will have to take Hipwood as Daniher has too much height. That leaves Howard to match up...I doubt he has the pace and endurance to go with Joe. And then there's Charlie Cameron! One of the three will get away from us tonight as there'll be too much quality ball coming in from the middle.

I suspect tonight will be another disappointing Spud's Game performance from us. We might have an individual player beat his opponent, but as a defence, midfield, or forward group, I don't see us winning one of those areas.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 5:07pm This is really deckchairs on the Titanic tonight.
There is not a thrid where our players are better than theirs.

Their defence will be way better than our attack. Especially with keeping Caminiti in the team.
They have an amazing midfield lead by Lachie Neale. Big O has turned into a very, very good ruckman.
Their forward line has way too much talent for our defence. There's no ideal match up for Wilke. He will have to take Hipwood as Daniher has too much height. That leaves Howard to match up...I doubt he has the pace and endurance to go with Joe. And then there's Charlie Cameron! One of the three will get away from us tonight as there'll be too much quality ball coming in from the middle.

I suspect tonight will be another disappointing Spud's Game performance from us. We might have an individual player beat his opponent, but as a defence, midfield, or forward group, I don't see us winning one of those areas.
And yet they are only one game ahead of us.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Life Long Saint is right in that I don't see any of our lines having the wood on their oppo number.

Our defenders, collectively as a unit, were very good in our early wins.
But Carlton worked out how to isolate Wilkie and break up the Wilkie+Giraffe+Battle Holy Trinity.

Other teams have copied that template.

I think our forward entries will be very inefficient as usual.
Don't see why anyone is bullish about our chances 🤷‍♂️

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

You never know which Brisbane you're going to get.

The team that lost to port by 10 goals, lost to Hawthorn, scraped home against Sydney at home. Or the team who beat Collingwood and Melbourne.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’ll back them in
Cmon Saints

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 3:54pm Any suggestion that sparkling form in the VFL means Bytel will necessarily do well in the seniors is misplaced, Sandringham is languising in the bottom 6 on the ladder and barely competitive, just 3 wins from 11 games. Naturally the more experienced Saints players are going to rack up impressive stats in the seonds, so they should but it means bugger-all.

We have to rely on the selectors, of whom RL is only one, to make judgements based on their knowledge of the players and the team they're up against.

I've mentioned elsewhere this week that I don't expect the selectors to make too many personnel changes while they remain a chance to make the top 8. So far this season St Kilda have used only 28 players in the seniors, the least of any team, the average is 34.

We also need to understand that in 8 of the 13 games so far the team has come away with the points, some of which have come despite not playing all that well.

The thing that stands out for me is that apart from the belting by Adelaide, this side has been competitive right to the end in every game. Last week against Richmond they squandered quite a few genuine chances in the last quarter to kick goals which effectively cost them the game.

Lyon has correctly stated that this team has always given full effort, an aspect that let them down badly in the second half of the 2022 season. It indicates that the players are totally committed to the game plan designed by Lyon and his assistants, which likewise was not the case post the bye last year.

Skill levels continue to be the major problem, they are well able to get the ball into the forward 50, it's simply their inability to convert these opportunties that needs to be fixed.

The only thing that I would like to see is for the coaches to be a bit more adventurous switching players around during a game in order to be less predictable, but that's easy for me to say, what would I know?? :lol:
Don't agree mate. If this is a year for experimenting or discovery, then I expect the coaches to do some f****** experimenting and they are not doing that. I fear for Bytel and can see him starring somewhere else.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 23 Jun 2023 3:54pm Any suggestion that sparkling form in the VFL means Bytel will necessarily do well in the seniors is misplaced, Sandringham is languising in the bottom 6 on the ladder and barely competitive, just 3 wins from 11 games. Naturally the more experienced Saints players are going to rack up impressive stats in the seonds, so they should but it means bugger-all.

Good post
You can see they’re trying to balance
1. Win games
2. Play the talent where possible

We still have players like Jones DMac Billibgs (again) Hayes Coffield now Membrey sitting in the stands injured
I think they’ve done ok
For no 1. is the most important this year
Finals nice to have

“Yeah….nah””