VFL - Sandy v Werribee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL - Sandy v Werribee

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 5:55pm Before I right off Bytel, you said that he has no defensive capabilities at ball ups right?

Then what are/ were his strengths

Seems he may have played with an injury, unless he has suddenly been called up for a flight west?
He is ball hunter and releases quickly, like Crouch and he does second and third efforts.
But when the opposition have agile, quick or powerful mids, he is left wanting. He was exposed today.
It's simple really. He is depth and, when playing against other AFL depth, he looks very effective.He blocks and tackles and tackles are great but that's not defending a clearance. He is about 4th in line on his skills set.

Killa
Club Player

Players absent including those on their way to Perth - plus some coming back from long layoffs with injury (others still on the Injury List).

Heath has size and competes

Ditto Adams who is making tangible progress over the last couple of weeks.

To me, with Sandringham, it is the progress of individual players not the Scoreboard.

So there you go.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 6:20pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 5:55pm Before I right off Bytel, you said that he has no defensive capabilities at ball ups right?

Seems he may have played with an injury, unless he has suddenly been called up for a flight west?
He is ball hunter and releases quickly, like Crouch and he does second and third efforts.
But when the opposition have agile, quick or powerful mids, he is left wanting. He was exposed today.
It's simple really. He is depth and, when playing against other AFL depth, he looks very effective.He blocks and tackles and tackles are great but that's not defending a clearance. He is about 4th in line on his skills set.
So you are saying he is a good in-and-under ferret, but gets bustled out of the way by bigger bodies at the clinches?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A 76 point drubbing really highlighted our lack of skills and how poor we are around clearance. Werribee slaughtered Sandi at ground level and their balls skills were far superior. We all knew the Saints list had holes well today highlighted there is huge 'black hole' as far as midfielders are concerned.

Jones got going after the 1st quarter and earned himself a call up. Heath got his hands to the ball but most of hitouts went to the opposition, he has no awareness where to hit the ball and he goes to the ground too easily. Adams showed a bit in the air, everyone else was ordinary.

Bytel & McKenzie get an exception as both were injured during the game. Unfortunately that might be the last time we see Dmac, I think he has run out of time.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm with killa on this one, not bothered by the scoreboard as the team is not cohesive enough to play a structure. That's another problem but won't be solved overnight.

I can see now why we need to use long stints in the Saints side for development reasons.

Philippou would go backwards playing VFL with Sandy.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Otiman wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 8:21pm I'm with killa on this one, not bothered by the scoreboard as the team is not cohesive enough to play a structure. That's another problem but won't be solved overnight.

I can see now why we need to use long stints in the Saints side for development reasons.

The last sentence is 💯 accurate.
I think that's why the coaches aren't dropping him, even though he could use a break.
Playing for Sandy, for him, would be like using your Porsche to collect firewood and take rubbish to the tip

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 8:21pm I'm with killa on this one, not bothered by the scoreboard as the team is not cohesive enough to play a structure. That's another problem but won't be solved overnight.

Are you suggesting our coaches are on to something?

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 7:00pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 6:20pm

So you are saying he is a good in-and-under ferret, but gets bustled out of the way by bigger bodies at the clinches?
Something like that.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping RTB's year of exploration results in a decent list turnover at year's end, if not, then my fear that he attends training half tanked might be more accurate than i really believed. :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm puzzled as to how Zebs get beaten so easily, so often.
How does any Saints-listed player work on their game, effectively, when the team is such a rabble?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Saint2
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 02 Jul 2023 4:18am I'm puzzled as to how Zebs get beaten so easily, so often.
How does any Saints-listed player work on their game, effectively, when the team is such a rabble?
Maybe Sandy just haven't had the resources to grab a few better quality players in recent times, plus possibly the inconsistent form of the Saints players, plus their unavailability for some games is unsettling the team balance. I looked at quite a few Sandy games this season, and there is a real lack of fire in the belly in contests, and no strong leadership on field. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't know each other thrown together to play a game of footy. Can't say I see much evidence of good coaching to be honest. Something the top brass at Sandy FC and StK FC need to sort out pronto.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

My secret plan is this

Take advantage of the fact that Sandy is a stand-alone team and not restricted by AFL rules like the others

Get some middle-east oil money in there like Manchester City and others did.

Sandy Zebras now become Saudi Zebras.

To entice an Arab shiek, tell them it comes with all the yachts at the Sandy Yacht Club.

Shower the place in money..

It worked for Man City

It has gotta work for us

Saudi Zebras

Saudi Saints

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 02 Jul 2023 11:47am My secret plan is this

Take advantage of the fact that Sandy is a stand-alone team and not restricted by AFL rules like the others

To entice an Arab shiek, tell them it comes with all the yachts at the Sandy Yacht Club.

It worked for Man City

It has gotta work for us

Saudi Zebras

Saudi Saints
cool..so all females will get the nose bleed seating ? and our AFWL side disbanded ? :wink:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Looks like one of the things which affect the club in terms of its financial position.

Hopefully there's a medium term plan to inject some life in our VFL side.

The talk of the curtain raiser style reserves comp has me intrigued.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 02 Jul 2023 11:47am My secret plan is this

It worked for Man City

It has gotta work for us

Saudi Zebras

Saudi Saints
Wrexham Football Club. Money from Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) and another Ryan actor that nobody's ever heard of.
They got promoted up a level.
Get Saudi money, don't do a Pride game (or they'll pull out) and see Zebs dominate.
I'm sure Middle East folk know creative ways to pay players off the books. Buy them houses (that's massive bait)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Men (the Bees) v boys (the Zees).
No team continuity.
AFL listed guys coming back to fitness and just playing for themselves
Bottom third of Zees are relatively untalented
Team knows its never playing finals and are just training fodder
So it goes...
Playing in a lost cause builds character and is an incentive for the listed few to get promoted asap.