Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings

He’s worth more than his trade value

Don’t see the sense in getting a pick post #50 for a player clearly in the best 18 when fit

Porcelain doll footballer

Comment from someone who has never kicked a ball in anger

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Put it this way

Would you trade JB for late picks like Leo Connolly or Oscar Adams?

Both whom will be delisted with no impact.

The odds of a pick after 50 even debuting is unlikely

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good post.
Trading good players is crap. Just ask Chris Pelchen.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Billings is an interesting one. IMO he has pretty much next to know trade value characterised primarily by his inability stay on the park but more… his contribution when he has played is IMO close to the most overrated of anyone on the list.

His fans talk about him as though he is a classy match winner but to be honest, his match vs the Demons to me is more or less his baseline even when he is fit and firing. He very rarely has match winning games. Guys like Butler and Higgins even if not as gifted with raw talent, stomp all over him in terms of results.

Talk about Billings being unhappy with how he has been treated is outrageous/audacious/laughable. Kid came here with huge tickets on him and has had so much support and development invested in him… and has massively underachieved relative to what he is capable of… and IMO that largely due to his failure to reach elite levels of fitness.

In however long he has been on the list… I’ve never read reports about Billings being in the hardest workers on the track, or the top runners etc. My bet is that he is another product of the Richo era where a number of talented players like Dunstan coasted by doing just enough and failed to elevate their games.

100% we don’t owe him anything. Has been way over paid.

In terms of losing him… I understand the fear of trading him cheaply for SFA and failing to pick up someone remotely as good.
But here’s the thing… it’s a chronic fear. It’s always going to be there and what are the chances that he’ll actually turn it around and have 3-4 good years for us from now when he hasn’t been able to put it together after all this time.

As I’ve said before… personally, I’m done with him. I think it was Teflon that wanted to ditch him on 2020… was against it at the time it credit where credit is due, he called it then and he’s done SFA since.
Fact that he’s on a long term deal is infuriating.

Flick him if we can. If we can’t get a decent trade for him…. Let him languish away at Sandy and come in as a bit cheaper player when 15 or so players that want it more than he does, are injured.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So you think Billings has never played well at StK?

History would suggest otherwise

He, like almost every player at some stage - is having some poor luck with injury - but at one stage he was extremely durable playing more than 20 games a season for many seasons!

He’s actually played 150 games
As a HF averages 20 per game
Inaccuracy has cost him a higher than goal per game

He’s been a good player in a tough position - HF

Name the consistent HFs in the AFL?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 2:18pm So you think Billings has never played well at StK?

History would suggest otherwise

He, like almost every player at some stage - is having some poor luck with injury - but at one stage he was extremely durable playing more than 20 games a season for many seasons!

He’s actually played 150 games
As a HF averages 20 per game
Inaccuracy has cost him a higher than goal per game

He’s been a good player in a tough position - HF

Name the consistent HFs in the AFL?
Where did I say he never played well?

Do you think he’s reached his potential? Over achieved? Would he be on the top 10 of that draft?
Did you think he has good trade value? Would you say he’s delivered concurrent to being one of the bigger paid players on the list

I would say he was taken on and rated to be an elite or very good player and he has had an ok career.

Laurie
Club Player

I do hope he gets a farewell match.
He is gaaawwwwn
BOOM BOOM

Laurie
Club Player

I do hope he gets a farewell match.
He is gaaawwwwn
BOOM BOOM

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 12:26pm Billings is an interesting one. IMO he has pretty much next to know trade value characterised primarily by his inability stay on the park but more… his contribution when he has played is IMO close to the most overrated of anyone on the list.

His fans talk about him as though he is a classy match winner but to be honest, his match vs the Demons to me is more or less his baseline even when he is fit and firing. He very rarely has match winning games. Guys like Butler and Higgins even if not as gifted with raw talent, stomp all over him in terms of results.

Talk about Billings being unhappy with how he has been treated is outrageous/audacious/laughable. Kid came here with huge tickets on him and has had so much support and development invested in him… and has massively underachieved relative to what he is capable of… and IMO that largely due to his failure to reach elite levels of fitness.

In however long he has been on the list… I’ve never read reports about Billings being in the hardest workers on the track, or the top runners etc. My bet is that he is another product of the Richo era where a number of talented players like Dunstan coasted by doing just enough and failed to elevate their games.

100% we don’t owe him anything. Has been way over paid.

In terms of losing him… I understand the fear of trading him cheaply for SFA and failing to pick up someone remotely as good.
But here’s the thing… it’s a chronic fear. It’s always going to be there and what are the chances that he’ll actually turn it around and have 3-4 good years for us from now when he hasn’t been able to put it together after all this time.

As I’ve said before… personally, I’m done with him. I think it was Teflon that wanted to ditch him on 2020… was against it at the time it credit where credit is due, he called it then and he’s done SFA since.
Fact that he’s on a long term deal is infuriating.

Flick him if we can. If we can’t get a decent trade for him…. Let him languish away at Sandy and come in as a bit cheaper player when 15 or so players that want it more than he does, are injured.
As always you are stubbornly late to the party. But just a point of correction, I think you are confusing Teffers with me, it was I who was calling it back then. Search the games late in the season, around the time we played the Lions, was a passenger. And repeated the efforts in games on 2021 when his team needed him the most he went missing.

Time to get brutal, we slayed a coach in brutal circumstances, time for us supporters to be rough with players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Here's a thread from 2018 titled 'Billings'

There's 6 pages

Teflon was prominent. So were the usual apologists making excuses for JB ...

viewtopic.php?t=94817

There were a few of us calling for him to be dropped. I called for Billings to be traded back then (remember it was 2018).

viewtopic.php?p=1729504#p1729504

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Wed 12 Jul 2023 6:30pm I do hope he gets a farewell match.
He is gaaawwwwn
BOOM BOOM
Is that a double post or should he get 2 farewell games. :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Billings may not be the superstar we’d hoped he’d be, but he’s played some good football for St Kilda. Hopefully he can get back from the latest set back and show that to RTB

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Billings may not be the superstar we’d hoped he’d be, but he’s played some good football for St Kilda. Hopefully he can get back from the latest set back and show that to RTB