Ross Lyon is #2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon is #2

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:24pm He should have gone through with that process at Carlton. They're making a late charge for top 8

I know he'll be busy working out our defensive strategies and where all players need to stand against North Melbourne, but say hi to him this week if you get a chance
Hopefully he is busy writing out his resignation after that insipid display .

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

In Ross we trust.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:03pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:24pm He should have gone through with that process at Carlton. They're making a late charge for top 8

I know he'll be busy working out our defensive strategies and where all players need to stand against North Melbourne, but say hi to him this week if you get a chance
Hopefully he is busy writing out his resignation after that insipid display .
Unfortunately, Lethlean and Bassatt have given him a 4 year contract.

We're stuck with him for at least two years and I'd say he may even go the full duration. Why would he forego the money he's on and why would he resign?

If...and it's a big IF...we have a footy department with some balls and a board that makes Ross accountable, and IF...IF we keep Boris and Lenny and BJ as his assistants for the next 4 years, maybe we might turn it around and play like a top 4 team at some stage

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:10pm In Ross we trust.
When do you think would be an appropriate time to enter contract extension negotiations?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:15pm
When do you think would be an appropriate time to enter contract extension negotiations?
I’d like to see him beat Richos tenure so anytime soon for me is good
👍

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:17pm
👍
Of course. Because that's what it's all about. Personalities and individuals

That's what is the most important thing on the minds of St Kilda supporters who want the club and the team to be the number 1 priority

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:23pm
👍

That's what is the most important thing on the minds of St Kilda supporters who want the club and the team to be the number 1 priority
Sack coach again? Is that your fix??
I think most sensible saints fans simply know we aren’t good enough
Have poorly skilled players
No midfield
1 ruckman
Missing key defender
Think most sensible fans don’t expect miracles 18 games in with new coach - with the injuries we’ve had to key players (missing top 2 forwards today) it’s fair to say we’ve overachieved
We are coming back to pack now that’s good
Need to drop out of finals altogether and get top DPs for more talent …
Why am I wasting this on a self confessed Lyon hater??
Scrap all that.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd really like to know why Geoff Walsh and Gags resigned

I'd love for this coaching group to stay together for the next 4-5 or even 6 years. I've posted before several times, that I hope we have stability in this regard

But...I have my doubts...I don't trust the footy boss who gave Ratts a contract extension and then was a key figure in his sacking. I hope Bassatt and the board and Lethlean and Lyon love the footy club as much as us (the members and supporters)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:37pm I'd really like to know why Geoff Walsh and Gags resigned

I'd love for this coaching group to stay together for the next 4-5 or even 6 years. I've posted before several times, that I hope we have stability in this regard

But...I have my doubts...I don't trust the footy boss who gave Ratts a contract extension and then was a key figure in his sacking. I hope Bassatt and the board and Lethlean and Lyon love the footy club as much as us (the members and supporters)
I have PMs you don’t that give me faith
Stick fat.
We are in good hands
President is a gun.

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:27pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:23pm
👍

Sack coach again? Is that your fix??
Of course not. Once he was appointed...All we want is stability and success.

But you're post above is absolutely indicative of your hypocrisy...saying that without ANY metrics being met or any improvement in the side, that you want Lyon to be extended

You focus way too much on Lyon vs Ratten or Lyon vs Richo... instead of Lyon vs Successful AFL coaches OR St Kilda vs Our opponents

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 6:26pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 4:13pm Some on here definitely believe Ross is a #2
His press conferences give me the #2's.
Genius

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

None of the board or coaching panel realistically thought we were going to win a flag this year. And to be honest probably thought the eight was a distant chance. Doesn’t mean they’re not trying to, just means they’re realistic. Why do you think they’ve played Sharman, back, on the wing, up front. Why do you think he’s played Bytel sparingly. Why do you think Peris was chosen this game. Or why Highmore hasn’t been picked. Because the coaching panel are having a real good look at who will be there in the future. I’m sure RL has put a line through certain players- even if they’re getting a regular game.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:57pm None of the board or coaching panel realistically thought we were going to win a flag this year. And to be honest probably thought the eight was a distant chance. Doesn’t mean they’re not trying to, just means they’re realistic. Why do you think they’ve played Sharman, back, on the wing, up front. Why do you think he’s played Bytel sparingly. Why do you think Peris was chosen this game. Or why Highmore hasn’t been picked. Because the coaching panel are having a real good look at who will be there in the future. I’m sure RL has put a line through certain players- even if they’re getting a regular game.
Good to read a sensible post
The hysterical dross on multiple threads has me questioning the point of even bothering to come on here today/tonight

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying that because the AFL is in control of the Gold Coast Suns franchise and because we are financially dependant on the AFL that we weren't interested in winning today?

What are you trying to say with the above post tony?

I'm interested in what you think fans and members would want when the team was sitting comfortably in the top 8 the last 10 weeks.

I'm interested in your comments about one of our players. Do you think Cooper should play wing or back or forward? Do you think it helps him to become a better forward by playing on the wing?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Of course we wanted to win. Of course we tried to win. But we also have to look to the future as this team won’t win a flag. Gold Coast today were the complete opposite. Not looking to the future, just looking at today. And they won’t win a flag with that team. If a coach could win a flag in their first year they would be given a one year contract

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So we weren't expecting to win the flag this year or even make the top 8....

We are realistic even though we won our first 3 games...You say we are a club looking to the future!! But... the exact same week that Steele breaks his clavicle we have a young bloke who gets 39 touches and Ross hasn't seen a lot of him in the seniors. ...But even though he can play as an inside mids to replace Steele, we leave Bytel out of the squad.

Instead of experimenting with the midfield mix and looking to the future, we rush players back from injury like Membrey ( we play Cooper at Sandringham and when he comes in as Sub he plays on the wing and in the backline) and we put Jack Steele out on the park only 3 weeks after he breaks his collar bone.

The squares are all rooted (apologies to barks4ever)
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:06pm
tony74 wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:57pm None of the board or coaching panel realistically thought we were going to win a flag this year. And to be honest probably thought the eight was a distant chance. Doesn’t mean they’re not trying to, just means they’re realistic. Why do you think they’ve played Sharman, back, on the wing, up front. Why do you think he’s played Bytel sparingly. Why do you think Peris was chosen this game. Or why Highmore hasn’t been picked. Because the coaching panel are having a real good look at who will be there in the future. I’m sure RL has put a line through certain players- even if they’re getting a regular game.
Good to read a sensible post
The hysterical dross on multiple threads has me questioning the point of even bothering to come on here today/tonight
Do bother
I appreciate sensible reality
The usual suspects are up and about
Let them bark like dogs

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:07pm Are you saying that because the AFL is in control of the Gold Coast Suns franchise and because we are financially dependant on the AFL that we weren't interested in winning today?

I'm interested in what you think fans and members would want when the team was sitting comfortably in the top 8 the last 10 weeks.

I'm interested in your comments about one of our players. Do you think Cooper should play wing or back or forward? Do you think it helps him to become a better forward by playing on the wing?
So I've gone from 10-12 at the start of the year to 6-8 prior to todays game of possible players capable of standing up in the closing minutes of a GF, I won't overreact and wait for the sample size to grow over the next 6 weeks but it's looking like a hard rebuild is on the horizon.

Cooper and Peris did some ok things today but they are't part of the future,, just way too far off the pace and we have to start being brutal and rid ourselves of an over abundance of project players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:49pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:07pm Are you saying that because the AFL is in control of the Gold Coast Suns franchise and because we are financially dependant on the AFL that we weren't interested in winning today?

So I've gone from 10-12 at the start of the year to 6-8 prior to todays game of possible players capable of standing up in the closing minutes of a GF, I won't overreact and wait for the sample size to grow over the next 6 weeks but it's looking like a hard rebuild is on the horizon.

Cooper and Peris did some ok things today but they are't part of the future,, just way too far off the pace and we have to start being brutal and rid ourselves of an over abundance of project players.
So you've advanced from list manager and development coach to now being on the panel for the Norm Smith Medal 🏅. Congratulations

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:58pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:49pm

So you've advanced from list manager and development coach to now being on the panel for the Norm Smith Medal 🏅. Congratulations
Hey don't get snappy at me, I have consistently said our biggest issue is being able to build lists and that changing coaches on a regular basis won't fix a thing. Who knows Ross might have the magic trick so lets see it, what is his plan to attract enough talent to the club to turn us into a flag team capable of sustained success.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

So what y'all are saying is bring back Richo? He can overtake Ross's games again.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:20pm Of course we wanted to win. Of course we tried to win. But we also have to look to the future as this team won’t win a flag. Gold Coast today were the complete opposite. Not looking to the future, just looking at today. And they won’t win a flag with that team. If a coach could win a flag in their first year they would be given a one year contract
OK, all good then.
Kudos to team acting. Would not have guessed winning was a priority.
Wonder how letting the team know coach/management have no faith in or ambition for them affects performance.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:20pm Of course we wanted to win. Of course we tried to win. But we also have to look to the future as this team won’t win a flag. Gold Coast today were the complete opposite. Not looking to the future, just looking at today. And they won’t win a flag with that team. If a coach could win a flag in their first year they would be given a one year contract
There's only one team each year that wins a flag with the team they've currently got , all teams make list changes at years end, so yeah, good point.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:05pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 3:01pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 2:26pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 2:00pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 1:28pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 1:04pm
B.M wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 12:54pm Lyon was NOT offered a new contract in 2011

The club was waiting until the end of the season to make a decision and in all honesty we’re looking for a change (as they were going down the Pelchen path and Lyon and Pelchen despised each other!)

In Lyons own words
Fremantle did in 8 hours what StK couldn’t do in 8 months
Offer him a deal for 2012 and beyond
That is simply not true on so many levels.
He was already contracted
After stopping negotiations earlier in the year, the Saints reopened them mid year and RL’s camp stopped them til seasons end
And RL agreed to terms just before he signed with Freo. It made the papers at the time.

Once Freo got in the picture, he only ever wanted to sign with them… and why wouldn’t he? Premiership ready list and he was more valuable to them then us. It’s openly acknowledged that they approached him mid year.

He always had the option of merely saying Freo approached him to get the Saints to up their deal but he never did. Why? Because he didn’t want to. His next contract with us pbly would have ended with a sacking after 3 years of a slow rebuild in tough times and his stocks drop.

He got Freo to a Grandfinal and the narrative of super coach continued. Even after he was sacked, he remained a highly sought after commodity.

In terms of what was best for him… it was a very clear no brainer. He’d have been a fool to not do it. He didn’t have sink the boots into us however for not extending him when he was actively not wanting to sign. That 8 hours BS narrative he created is just that… BS. Thats what he deserves criticism for
I say rubbish. "It's openly acknowledged", " it made the papers", let's see some proof.

Pointless arguing, two sides to every story, only the parties involved know the truth, but I'm principally blaming Saints management/Nettlefold.

Anyway, would Ross staying have improved Saint's results 2012 onwards? Who knows?
Go look it up then. Heck you’d pbly find the articles with the individuals interviewed here because this was discussed and over analysed to death here. I’m not doing your homework for you.

On your latter question… as I said above, either pbly not or marginal improvement at best. Heck maybe he might have etched out another finals series or two but IMO we still would have been middling at most.

Never any question that RL correctly identified what was the better option for him.
I previously quoted an article with one of the individuals interviewed. Didn't you read it?

So you make some statements with no evidence and expect others to "look them up" ? Sound logic.
My position has been consistent for 10 years and I’ve posted multiple times. It’s there. Articles, quotes, all of it. I can’t be bothered trying to search for it now ad it’s pointless regardless.

You can inform yourself or you can’t. I know what the facts are and I can follow/interpret the sequence of events that demonstrate them.

Plainly put… you’re wrong. You can read up about it and educate yourself to the very clear and obvious truth. Or you can let your opinion be determined by emotional bias.
Ha Ha. A person who sprouts rubbish, who is asked to at least present some snippet of data to prove what they are saying to at least enable their view to be considered, states continually that they can't be bothered to search for it. Doesn't that tell you something? Case dismissed your worship, no evidence presented, prejudicial conjecture.

As you say, multiple posts by you over 10 years, and all wrong.
Meh. Like I said to BM, it’s not on me to repeatedly prove the truth to you. It’s there. You’re obviously happy take RL’s word for it. I mean why would he lie right… I mean again.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The bottom line, and it irks me to say it, but we are just not that good. We are a very average football team. But I do believe the coaches including the development coaches are on the right track