Had there ever been a more reviled player than Gresham?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Had there ever been a more reviled player than Gresham?

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 7:13pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:12pm He’s really taken supporter disquiet to a new (low) level. I mean, there’s always the usual whipping boys (eg Ross, Howard etc) but they’re a bit more of an eye roll … rather than the genuine disgust, bordering on hatred - that pervades No. 4.

I don’t know one of our supporters who even tries to defend his output.

For me? Gresham will always be the poster boy for everything that was wrong with St Kilda between 2012 - 2022 where terrible standards and zero development existed and anyone with a bit of talent was allowed to do as they wanted.

His incredibly poor body language and perpetually lazy efforts really are a cancer on the playing group. Once his trade to Carlton or Hawthorn is completed, I hope they chuck his locker contents in a box at the front door and fumigate said locker to remove the stench of mediocrity and selfishness.

👎🏼
Gresh made you and his other detractors look like fools today.
Wot? You serious? FMD. You’ve deluded yourself into thinking that was his level?

That should be the bare minimum for his level of talent. I’m really glad he played well - who wants Saints player to fail? - but, the level no 4 regularly outputs is way below that.

Hence how utterly pissed off the base is with him more often than not.

Go you red, black & white warriors
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:12pm He’s really taken supporter disquiet to a new (low) level. I mean, there’s always the usual whipping boys (eg Ross, Howard etc) but they’re a bit more of an eye roll … rather than the genuine disgust, bordering on hatred - that pervades No. 4.

For me? Gresham will always be the poster boy for everything that was wrong with St Kilda between 2012 - 2022 where terrible standards and zero development existed and anyone with a bit of talent was allowed to do as they wanted.

His incredibly poor body language and perpetually lazy efforts really are a cancer on the playing group. Once his trade to Carlton or Hawthorn is completed, I hope they chuck his locker contents in a box at the front door and fumigate said locker to remove the stench of mediocrity and selfishness.

👎🏼
Yes. But he failed to sparkle against the team that is offering him a contract. Interesting.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

👎🏼
Exactly!
His performance today is what causes him the angst he receives...

Weeks on end of selfish play, almost zero 1%'s, poor decision making, weak effort after weak effort...and then like his last 5 years he just flips a switch and doesn't make terrible disposals or run like his feelings are hurt & he's being forced to play....

That makes HIM look like a twat.

I do think there has to be more to it. I just can not understand how he plays so damn good then drops off a cliff for a month...its been years of this.

He 120% has the flair, skills and talent.

So when thats true...Aussies struggle to tolerate what must be true...he either doesn't give a damn 75% of the time or he's lazy or he can only excel when the team is firing & he gets the perfect storm to ride

I seriously have always believed he has everything needed, except the heart, to be a brownlow medalist.

That said. I want him to stay because its possible RTB can get the best out of him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 14 Aug 2023 5:26pm

👎🏼
Exactly!
His performance today is what causes him the angst he receives...

Weeks on end of selfish play, almost zero 1%'s, poor decision making, weak effort after weak effort...and then like his last 5 years he just flips a switch and doesn't make terrible disposals or run like his feelings are hurt & he's being forced to play....

That makes HIM look like a twat.

I do think there has to be more to it. I just can not understand how he plays so damn good then drops off a cliff for a month...its been years of this.

He 120% has the flair, skills and talent.

So when thats true...Aussies struggle to tolerate what must be true...he either doesn't give a damn 75% of the time or he's lazy or he can only excel when the team is firing & he gets the perfect storm to ride

I seriously have always believed he has everything needed, except the heart, to be a brownlow medalist.

That said. I want him to stay because its possible RTB can get the best out of him.
I think his disposal is too poor to be a really good player plus I don't think he has the ticker to be consistently good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Last week Gresham lifted his offensive game...but this week he played exactly how I'd dreamed he would.

He harrassed, tackled, chased, was pretty good with disposal effeciency and almost...kicked goals. Still didn't give any 1%'ers but absolutely great game! If he plays this way consistently I'd be thrilled. If he leaves & plays this way I'll be gutted!

Well done Gresh!
Another please!!!!!!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:19am Last week Gresham lifted his offensive game...but this week he played exactly how I'd dreamed he would.

He harrassed, tackled, chased, was pretty good with disposal effeciency and almost...kicked goals. Still didn't give any 1%'ers but absolutely great game! If he plays this way consistently I'd be thrilled. If he leaves & plays this way I'll be gutted!

Well done Gresh!
Another please!!!!!!
I noticed he was positive and celebrated for, and with the other players too. Good attitude…?? I thought.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Even if he's just doing it to lift his worth...We are benefitting.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:25am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:19am Last week Gresham lifted his offensive game...but this week he played exactly how I'd dreamed he would.

Well done Gresh!
Another please!!!!!!
I noticed he was positive and celebrated for, and with the other players too. Good attitude…?? I thought.
Actually it is gresh who leads the saints in singing our song.