Sandy at Wonthaggi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Sandy at Wonthaggi

Clark , Dow , Hammer and Sharman. All good in the 2nd half.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:41pm
meher baba wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:40pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:39pm Geez stiff 50m penalty on Collard
Nope. It was 100% there. Collard has finished off a shocking individual game by gifting the Hawks a win. He should be dropped from the Zebras for their next game.
You are tough
As I watched it I said to myself “if you spin the Hawks player around one more time it’ll be 50.” And he went ahead and did it. No excuse for that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Poor start and poor kicking cost us the game.
Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:43pm Clark , Dow , Hammer and Sharman. All good in the 2nd half.
That’s all that matters
Enough for senior call up????

“Yeah….nah””
Rubyjo
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 6:37pm
Rubyjo wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 5:43pm Clark , Dow , Hammer and Sharman. All good in the 2nd half.
That’s all that matters
That is the question ...and you would have to make some change , I'd play all 4 .

chook23
Saintsational Legend

That’s all that matters
Huge difference between VFL and AFL

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Marto, where is the rundown?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dow and Clark had 35 possessions between them. Jones had 22 but God knows how many hit a target. Not exactly dazzling performances. Byrnes only had 6. He's really struggling to find the ball.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Only saw the last quarter but Jones seemed pretty half hearted to me this week from what I saw, not running that hard or tackling / pressuring much at all.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Clark definitely deserves a call up to the seniors, most likely for Hastie.

I'm not sure about Dow. In both the games I've seen Dow play, he has struggled with the pace in the early stages and has only begun to deliver much after half time. At AFL level the players tend to be a little fitter, so the game won't slow down so much in the second half. If we're going to elevate another mid from the Zebras (for Garcia?) I'd be inclined to go with Philippou instead: he got more disposals, more marks and made more tackles than Dow, and was certainly more visible during the first half.

Caminiti would presumably replace Hayes. Hayes had one good game against the Roos, and a nothing game against the Hawks. He's potentially an extremely useful player, so should we give up on him so quickly?

I guess Sharman could replace Membrey. But it's 50/50 whether that would represent an improvement. Sharman had a good game today, but he didn't exactly star: Caminiti certainly outshone him.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 7:01pm Only saw the last quarter but Jones seemed pretty half hearted to me this week from what I saw, not running that hard or tackling / pressuring much at all.
No chance of him being promoted this week. He was heaps better last week. I don't think he's entirely out of the picture, though.

- Jonathan Swift
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just got home

1:30 trip to watch a strange game

At one stage 1.9.15 at another stage 4.16.40
Not sure why the kicking at goal is so bad

Caminiti finished with 3.6 and one oof

Players
Heath - competed pretty hard, 7 possessions few tackles
Caminiti - could’ve been a dominant game, but he couldn’t hit the side of a barn - particularly in the 2nd
McConnell - a couple of nice things, but 4 possessions only
Sharman - an ok game, good contest between him and his opponent. He did a few nice things.
McLennan - alright, a few nice marks. Dropped one sitter though that resulted directly into a BH goal
Phillipou - ok in close. Still looks to HB too much. 8 tackles, 20 touches. Not a bad game.
Cordy - solid game, rarely beaten.
Keeler - very good second quarter. A number of good defensive mark. I am baffled that Sandy were taking Caminiti was taken out of key forward where he was dangerous to play second ruck? And Keeler is wasted at FB?
Dow - quiet first half. Got into the game in the 3rd. He was bog in the last.
Byrnes - horrific game, worst on ground, and that’s saying something because there were half a dozen Sandy players who basically didn’t touch the footy. But not only did he have 3 touches at 3quarter time but his direct opponent CJ was easily bog at 3qtr time before he was rested.
Clark - probably the best player in the first half, but that doesn’t say too much as they were 6 down. Was run down a few times, being a bit slow with the footy. But at least he was trying to create. Was spoken to by Ross on the bench about not dropping his bundle in the first half.
Collard - obviously he cost Sandy the game with a 50m penalty to give BH a goal from 45m on the siren. But the bigger issue is his body language- he just does not want to be there. He was visibly upset after the game and had to be consoled though.
Jones - Bipolar day. Typically erratic by hand and footy, tried to do too much at times and was caught. But was at least trying to give drive. 12 possession 3rd quarter and was huge.
Invisible in the last though, and took short step in an aerial contest that cost a goal.

Overall
Wasteful and like the AFL a poor start and a bit of a fightback. But damage was done early getting out to 40 points at one point.
In the first half there was arguing between players on the bench, dummy spitting, poor body language and head shaking

Something is rotten with the culture

It’s not that we need to get rid of Sandy!

Truth is, they need to get rid of StK

BTW
We had StK jumpers on today, didn’t help!

jays
Club Player

Something not rotten just standards have lifted and they sick of being s***

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that. Selection will be interesting. Dow, Clark, Jones, Caminiti, Phillipou, Cordy, Sharman possible ins. Presume Schoenmacher did not play

Banger9798
SS Life Member

What was up with Collard?
Was he angry at the 50m penalty or at teamates/ coach

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think Collard gets frustrated with players up the ground who make diabolical decisions on a regular basis. Makes it damn hard for him. He runs into spaces and gets ignored because no one actually looks where they're kicking the damn ball. Sandy have the crappiest ball movement in the VFL. A nightmare for small forwards

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think Collard would develop better by playing in the AFL. The standard the Sandy games.....well...you'd get the same benefit to your development playing local footy

silverhalo
Club Player

That’s all that matters
No, the only one putting his hand up for a call up was Camminiti from that lot - was hoping that Collard would shine today given the absence of Higgins and Butler but he was horrible

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Disagree with Collard

He looks disinterested, said it a few weeks ago. Looks pissed off all the time, and shows horrible body language.

He’s only a young man, but his demeanour needs to change.

It was very apt that he gave away the 50 to lose the game, given his output. Damien Carroll had to come to the bench and speak to him about it

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Isn't he a young man living away from home a long way from home and quite physically small. Subi to Wonthaggi, who wouldn't be a bit perplexed by the journey. So quick to critique these young blokes going through tremendous change. Support wouldn't go astray in this formative stage. Maybe?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 8:55pm I think Collard would develop better by playing in the AFL. The standard the Sandy games.....well...you'd get the same benefit to your development playing local footy
I think you're right

I also think we messed with his head by naming him in Round 1 and then not giving him a proper opportunity in the seniors.

We did it better with Hastie and Garcia. Neither Hastie nor Garcia are genuine goal sneaks, although both have played forward as well as in other roles.

We doubled down on messing with Lance boy's head when both Butler and Higgins were unavailable for senior selection.

Wouldn't it have made sense to have a genuine
small forward goal sneak in the side? Especially considering he had a couple of good games at VFL level....or are goal kickers and crumbers not the priority?

Saints58
Club Player

ace wrote: Sat 11 May 2024 9:09pm https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/6365#line-ups

Campbell and Allison not in the team line up.
So only 14 Sainters, 9 Zebras

Also no Schoenmaker dont know why

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Found it interesting, being able to hear the players clearly, that Jones was yelling at Caminiti to pick up his defender.
Caminiti presented well in the forward line and was a clear target, but he clearly still has defensive areas that he needs to address.
Until those issues are resolved and while he have Hayes, King, and Membrey available, we don't need him in the senior team. Let him develop that side of his game where the result doesn't matter.

For the first half, our ball use was deplorable. Not sure how you can miss a target by hand from 5m away when you are under little pressure. That one simple miss then puts pressure on every subsequent disposal. One short handball was delivered on the half back line to a running player 2 metres behind him. Needless to the say the Hawks goaled from that error.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

First half looked bad on the scoreboard

But reality is
It was 11-6 to 4-16 - so 17 scoring shots to 20 - errant kicking at goal was the main issue
Caminiti had 2-5 and an oof at half time

Really from the second quarter on we dominated

shrodes
SS Life Member