Coaches votes Round 9 vs Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Coaches votes Round 9 vs Hawks

I was wrrrrr.....wrrrrrrrr

Wrong on Marshall. I suppose effort is the main driver of performance and sometimes the decision making and execution can go astray

9 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
7 Rowan Marshall (STK)
7 Karl Amon (HAW)
3 Jarman Impey (HAW)
2 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
1 Jack Steele (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)

Both coaches voted for Marshall. Lyon gave him best on ground. Mitchell gave him 2. There's also a little pattern emerging (just a hunch seeing's though it's happened in previous rounds) where opposition coaches rate our captain, but his own coach doesn't

Lyon

5 RoMa
4 Newcombe
3 Amon
2 Scrimshaw
1 Wilkie

Mitchell

5 Newcombe
4 Amon
3 Impey
2 Marshall
1 Steele

In my opinion, it's counter productive to expect Jack Steele to try and contain the best player each week from opposition teams. Who the hell is going to win you the footy? Your 3rd or 4th choice inside mid?

How many times do you see mids from both teams getting high numbers. It's going to happen. You can't always stop an A grade mid. Especially the bulls.

Go head to head with them and get your hands on that pill first. When Jack progressed from being a tagger under Richo to being a ball winner, his centre clearance numbers were elite*.

Let him loose I say and give our team a chance at first use of the footy.

*Compare Steele 2021 with Cripps 2023 for ctre clr.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 023&type=A
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 13 May 2024 6:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

George27
Club Player

Re: Coaches votes Round 9 vs Hawks

No worries, Fonzie !

It is possible that Amon got the 5 and 2, and RoMa the 4 and 3. I think however that your prognostication is more likely to be spot on.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In 2021. Cripps and Steele had the exact same centre clearances average per game of 2.7

If you compare Cripps in 2022 (the year he won the Brownlow) with Steele's 2021 year, Cripps just beats him with 3.0 vs 2.7

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 6:05pm I was wrrrrr.....wrrrrrrrr

Wrong on Marshall. I suppose effort is the main driver of performance and sometimes the decision making and execution can go astray

9 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
7 Rowan Marshall (STK)
7 Karl Amon (HAW)
3 Jarman Impey (HAW)
2 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
1 Jack Steele (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)

Both coaches voted for Marshall. Lyon gave him best on ground. Mitchell gave him 2. There's also a little pattern emerging (just a hunch seeing's though it's happened in previous rounds) where opposition coaches rate our captain, but his own coach doesn't

Lyon

5 RoMa
4 Newcombe
3 Amon
2 Scrimshaw
1 Wilkie

Mitchell

5 Newcombe
4 Amon
3 Impey
2 Marshall
1 Steele

In my opinion, it's counter productive to expect Jack Steele to try and contain the best player each week from opposition teams. Who the hell is going to win you the footy? Your 3rd or 4th choice inside mid?

How many times do you see mids from both teams getting high numbers. It's going to happen. You can't always stop an A grade mid. Especially the bulls.

Go head to head with them and get your hands on that pill first. When Jack progressed from being a tagger under Richo to being a ball winner, his centre clearance numbers were elite*.

Scallop my only issue with your analysis here is the fact jack has only played a containing role once this season (GWS) he’s generally ran free or been tagged in all other matches.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 6:42pm Scallop my only issue with your analysis here is the fact jack has only played a containing role once this season (GWS) he’s generally ran free or been tagged in all other matches.
Have you got access to inside info on his role in each game?

Nice. I'll be sure to follow all your posts more closely from now on.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 6:47pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 6:42pm Scallop my only issue with your analysis here is the fact jack has only played a containing role once this season (GWS) he’s generally ran free or been tagged in all other matches.

No sorry but I do have eyes and also a brain to process vision seen through said eyes.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 7:32pm

No sorry but I do have eyes and also a brain to process vision seen through said eyes.
Ohhhhhhhhkaaay..

Once again...the question remains...

Have you got 'ears' on the inside? If no...then I'll stick to what I see with my eyes and what the stats are telling me

He's being asked to restrict instead of hunt

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 7:50pm

Ohhhhhhhhkaaay..

Have you got 'ears' on the inside? If no...then I'll stick to what I see with my eyes and what the stats are telling me

I reckon Steele is playing much the same role as in previous years, since he graduated from being essentially a tagger.
Hasn't changed Ratts through to Ross.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He's fully fit so he should be back to what he was doing...if ...as you say 'he's playing much the same role'

In 2021 his centre clearances were 2.7 per game and he was equal in total clearance averages to most of the best mids. Easily top 20 in total clearances in 2020 and 2021 in the league. Centre clearance are now 1.9 per game so far in 2024.

In percentage terms that's 50% down. That's a coaching directive. It's also as a result of what Lyon expects of his mids as far as spread and their running.

How do you expect him to compete with the inside mid bulls when you're asked to be leaner?

https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats.html?year=2021

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 6:05pm In my opinion, it's counter productive to expect Jack Steele to try and contain the best player each week from opposition teams. Who the hell is going to win you the footy? Your 3rd or 4th choice inside mid?

Good points. If Steele is still our best clearance midfielder, let him loose to get the ball and do something with it. Windhager thrives in a tagging role. Give him the job on Serong this weekend

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 7:50pm

Ohhhhhhhhkaaay..

By who? Who gave you that inside info. Is this a Ross Lyon burner account? If that’s the case then his doing a terrible job because the stats are saying he rarely has a direct opponent and is accumulating at near record career highs.

King Max
Club Player

9 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
7 Rowan Marshall (STK)
7 Karl Amon (HAW)
3 Jarman Impey (HAW)
2 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
1 Jack Steele (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)

Lyon

5 RoMa
4 Newcombe
3 Amon
2 Scrimshaw
1 Wilkie

Mitchell

5 Newcombe
4 Amon
3 Impey
2 Marshall
1 Steele

Who gave you the breakdown in votes by coach?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Mon 13 May 2024 10:40pm

9 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
7 Rowan Marshall (STK)
7 Karl Amon (HAW)
3 Jarman Impey (HAW)
2 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
1 Jack Steele (STK)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)

Lyon

5 RoMa
4 Newcombe
3 Amon
2 Scrimshaw
1 Wilkie

Mitchell

5 Newcombe
4 Amon
3 Impey
2 Marshall
1 Steele

Who gave you the breakdown in votes by coach?
Just a possible scenario King Max. Not definitive.

It's a regular thing each week where someone initiates the thread with AFLCA votes and people respond to the op with their guess as to how each coach may have voted.

If you look at the post after the one you're quoting, I acknowledged George27 for his suggestion of different votes and thanked him.

King Max
Club Player

OK.
Here's another possibility.

Mitchell

5 RoMa
4 Newcombe
3 Amon
2 Scrimshaw
1 Wilkie

Lyon

5 Newcombe
4 Amon
3 Impey
2 Marshall
1 Steele

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Tue 14 May 2024 9:38am OK.
Here's another possibility.

Mitchell

5 RoMa
4 Newcombe
3 Amon
2 Scrimshaw
1 Wilkie

Lyon

5 Newcombe
4 Amon
3 Impey
2 Marshall