Bonner to Hill, Freo goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Bonner to Hill, Freo goal

Seconds after Saints fans experienced a brief moment of satisfaction when Marshall's Herculean effort to touch the ball as it crossed the goal line was rewarded with a cancelled goal, Bonner took the kickout and Hill failed to mark, resulting in an easy Freo goal.

I've said previously that both Bonner and Hill can be relied upon for at least one major turnover a gam. But but this was a collaborative effort, an iconic moment.

Was Bonner kick's poorly executed? Probably. But I suspect Hill didn't try very hard to haul it in. And I think this is symportmatic of an infection that sweeps through weak teams.

in a great team, a player will bend over backwards to make a teammate's badly executed kick/handball look good. In a weak team, he'll make a half-baked effort to mark/receieve but ultimnately will be content for someone else to take the blame. The attitude seems to be, "If it's not lace out, it's not good enough for me" Or: "Look at the terrible skills I have to put up with in this team."

Ross the Boss could do worse than to weed out this corrosive attitude immediately.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bonner to Hill, Freo goal

In Hill’s defence the small crowd made footsteps easier to hear!

Big Max
Club Player

There is no way Boner the Butcher should kick out.

We have Sinclair and Wanganeen who are capable.

sks023
Club Player

A new thread under some guise to stick the boots into Hill again
Classy

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
SaintWiki
Club Player

Why would Hill expect a poor kick at that short distance from the goal?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Big Max wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 10:34am There is no way Boner the Butcher should kick out.

We have Sinclair and Wanganeen who are capable.
BOOM!!!

This is it. Thread closed. I don’t get it either.

Hill himself should be third in line

Crossy66
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 8:56am Seconds after Saints fans experienced a brief moment of satisfaction when Marshall's Herculean effort to touch the ball as it crossed the goal line was rewarded with a cancelled goal, Bonner took the kickout and Hill failed to mark, resulting in an easy Freo goal.

I've said previously that both Bonner and Hill can be relied upon for at least one major turnover a gam. But but this was a collaborative effort, an iconic moment.

Was Bonner kick's poorly executed? Probably. But I suspect Hill didn't try very hard to haul it in. And I think this is symportmatic of an infection that sweeps through weak teams.

in a great team, a player will bend over backwards to make a teammate's badly executed kick/handball look good. In a weak team, he'll make a half-baked effort to mark/receieve but ultimnately will be content for someone else to take the blame. The attitude seems to be, "If it's not lace out, it's not good enough for me" Or: "Look at the terrible skills I have to put up with in this team."

Ross the Boss could do worse than to weed out this corrosive attitude immediately.
100% on Bonner. Personally think we have too many half backs who are more attacking and less defending.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sorry - on Bonner - that kick should have been to the chest - not over his head.

The forward was behind Hill - even if he tried to compete for a chest mark - odds were he would have infringed - NEVER OVERHEAD TO A DEFENDER - ALWAYS CHEST - Simples

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hill has credits, Bonner has none.

I think it says a lot when a player who was delisted from one team is now undroppable in yours…

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Not at all hill’s fault. Bonner made a terrible decision in the first place by kicking there, even if that kick is executed correctly what is achieved by moving the ball 20 meters forward from the goals square? The kick was terrible and flew over hill’s head in any case.

Then not even 2 minutes later he sprinted 30 meters to take another kick in off someone else. An act that I thought was disgusting and self centered. This fairly warranted boos and jeers from some saints fans in the crowd. He cannot play for his club again after that, if you support this guy you are a mug.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mmmm...this to me is a classic chicken or egg delima.

Yes in the breadbasket would have been easier to mark

But that was a dropped regulation catch at the elite level by a highly skilled player.

Hill stuffed that up for mine.

seano1
Club Player

Watching it unfold at the game it was a terrible choice of kick …but we cannot work out how to get it out of the backline ….time and time again we kicked 3 -4 times and gained nothing in distance

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is a stubborn prick. Not the first time Bonner has made monumental stuffups from there. Sincs or NWM or Hill himself need to be kicking out

Hilly, I need you to be delivering inside 50. Hilly, I want you running past the guys to receive. Hilly, I need you to make space to get the 30m kick out after they kick a behind. Hilly, I want you everywhere.

Kick it to Hill

Handball it to Hill

What do we expect from him? He’s not a machine

Lyon just doesn’t provide encouragement and trust in all his troops. We need to be spreading the workload. Share the footy better. Get into good habits where you distribute to a guy because they’re in the best position, and not just because of their jumper number

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Have gone back and watched the replay…

Kick really wasn’t that bad. Whilst I stand by my earlier post RE kick out pecking order… that one is entirely on Hill.

Kick could have been better sure but it was very markable and wouldn’t constitute a Clanger. Unforced error by Hill and his opponent did get a look in until he dropped it

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lyon game plan to blame clearly

“Yeah….nah””
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 8:06pm Have gone back and watched the replay…

Kick really wasn’t that bad. Whilst I stand by my earlier post RE kick out pecking order… that one is entirely on Hill.

Kick could have been better sure but it was very markable and wouldn’t constitute a Clanger. Unforced error by Hill and his opponent did get a look in until he dropped it
You’ve never played footy have you?

Get someone to stab a 15m pass a metre above your head and see how you go.

Awful kick from a player who I see bringing zero value to our side.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I started another thread about how static our ball movement is from a pt kick in ... stood out like giant pig balls last night

Short 15m to the side then another 30m kick back across the goal to the other side and then a dinky 15 m to the boundary and then long down the line

No one running past, no looks into the corridor, just predictable and grey as you could get.

This static risk free slow movement just allows the opposition teams to flood back ...and don't get me going on the 30m kick backwards to switch the ball

Our ball movement out of the back half or even from the wing forward is atrocious

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It is a part of Lyons game plan to get the ball in Bonners hands as often as possible (and Nas)

A part of that is him kicking in

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Time to change it up then

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 10:54pm It is a part of Lyons game plan to get the ball in Bonners hands as often as possible (and Nas)

A part of that is him kicking in
Freo bought in. Kicked lots of points. Possibly Bonner was tired from all that kicking in and the hopeless kick to Hill was his last gasp of energy.
Well planned J. Longmuir.
Bonner is an insidious deceiver. Left foot, can kick long, often doesn't, accurate when there is no pressure, tea pot when it's tense.
Played scores of AFL games in a top side. Bloody Ross, should be soothing the lad, not putting him in awkward situations. Fancy expecting him to be able to execute a basic skill, one he is good at when it doesn't matter. Sucked in Ross and rightly called out by the experts in this forum - and they can read your mind.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lyon should’ve come down on the field and executed a 20m pass for them
I blame him

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 2:30pm Ross Lyon is a stubborn prick. Not the first time Bonner has made monumental stuffups from there. Sincs or NWM or Hill himself need to be kicking out

Hilly, I need you to be delivering inside 50. Hilly, I want you running past the guys to receive. Hilly, I need you to make space to get the 30m kick out after they kick a behind. Hilly, I want you everywhere.

Kick it to Hill

Handball it to Hill

What do we expect from him? He’s not a machine

Lyon just doesn’t provide encouragement and trust in all his troops. We need to be spreading the workload. Share the footy better. Get into good habits where you distribute to a guy because they’re in the best position, and not just because of their jumper number
I for one expect him to pull that f****** ball in, regardless of whether it was an ordinary kick by Bonnar. 95% of AFL footballers hold that when there’s zero pressure. To put ALL the blame on Bonnar, as some have done, is ridiculous.

I’m getting a bit tired of everyone padding Hill’s stats too. His field kicking is okay but not world beating. His line breaking is non existent. We need someone who can sprint clear and deliver (especially if they’re a pure outside player and nothing else)

Hill has trouble evading tackles and more often gets caught or is at least pressured into a hurried possession when he does attempt it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I get where you're coming from Moods. It wasn't an absolute shocker of a kick, but how many overhead marks does Hill take per game? That's not his strength is it?

Anyhow... it's one incident. There are dozens of errors we can find in each game... even from some of our better players.

I agree that Hill 'should' have taken the mark...but he has been an unbelievable work horse this year.

The bigger picture tells me that mistakes like that are going to be expected if Hill is asked to do it all.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Hill 109 AFL points, Bonner 109 AFL points, only Marshall 171, Sinclair 118, Wanganeen-Milera 110 better, then daylight.
Hill 619 metres gained, Bonner 499 metres gained, W-M 555 Sinclair 454, Marshall 366
Hill 25 disposals, 20 kicks, Bonner 26 disposals, 20 kicks, Marshall 31 disposals 20 kicks,W-M 30 disposals 23 kicks, Sinclair 29 disposals, 21 kicks

Only 5 players turned up to play Hill, Bonner, Marshall, Sinclair and W-M.

You must be related to one of the other 18 who stayed home to pick on these two who actually tried.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Hill, Bonner and Wanga are currently padding their stats and fantasy pts with absolute nothing possessions in the back half with dinky kicks and uncontested marks

Nothing about their games are attacking or game winning in any sense ... Wanga a little more effective than the other 2 and will at least move in attacking patterns and is dual sided... both Hill and Bonner (especially Bonner) struggle on their non-preferred side

Reckon I have seen enough of Bonner for the time being ... at least Stocker is attacking in intent and can also defend ..... either that or bring in Keeler who is a good kick, can move thru traffic and can intercept as well