Team Saints V Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nefron55
Club Player

Re: Team Saints V Melbourne

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 2:00am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 9:20pm These mystifying selections are not a good sign.

It's a sign we are tanking.

This is not a side that is intent on actually trying to win this (very winnable) match.

We are playing a very dangerous game on several fronts.

How many senior players will feel disenchanted by this decision? Happy to sacrifice winnable games in the first half of a season for a draft pick ?
Isn't this the opposite? Tanking would be bringing in a bunch of young guys who aren't ready yet -- Keeler, Allison, Garcia etc.

Bringing in Byrnes, Higgins, Ross, Stocker probably makes us more competitive in the short term, but at the expense of developing young players.

I don't love the selection but it's clearly the opposite of tanking.

Also not sure how you see this game as "very winnable." If playing Melbourne at the G is "very winnable," what was the Hawks game?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 10:58pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 9:55pm
meher baba wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 9:21pm I used to think RTB 1.0 was sometimes trying to troll the fan base with his selections. He seems to be at it again this week.
Seriously?
Coach trolls fan base with selections?
Get a grip.
It’s bat shyte crazy stuff but you just gotta laugh at mehebabblelots ….he tries hard
Some of you nuffies have no sense of humour. But I worked that out years ago.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 2:10am Can understand these selections but how does Bonner keep his spot? He played so bad last week he was being boo’d by large portions of the saints crowd, don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.
I suspect he’ll be an emergency.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 1:05am Byrnes = Robert Eddy
Bonner = Brett Peake (?)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

When is Keeler going to get a go?? If we’re going to score 50 points and lose every game, at least give us something to look forward to .
Losing by more…?

- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 2:14am
Otiman wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 8:59pm
B.M wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 8:54pm Uninspiring

Underwhelming

Ryan Byrnes
2 weeks ago worst on ground vs Box Hill
Last week just OK vs a woeful Richmond VFL
Agree with your first two points but you're missing a key point on Byrnes, the VFL game is on the same day.

Byrnes won't play at either level. Extended bench selected to allow players with more upside to play VFL.

Edit: Just checked the team and he's named on the field. I'm flabbergasted.
I don’t think this means he can’t be dropped as an emergency does it? Is there a rule you can only pick your 3 emergencies from the Thursday named interchange? I’ve never heard of it.
I don’t think it’s a rule, but it would be a very strange thing to do.

- Jonathan Swift
spert
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 1:05am Byrnes = Robert Eddy
Bonner = Brett Peake (?)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

When is Keeler going to get a go?? If we’re going to score 50 points and lose every game, at least give us something to look forward to .
Needs to dominate a bit more in Sandy games over four quarters, not just do a few speccy things here and there. Maybe he should just not touch the ball like Collard against the BH Hawks, and get a senior game that way.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

With there being no injuries, bar one, there is an enormous opportunity to run two teams (seniors and Sandy) concurrently, for both fitness and development, with players moving between the two. Selection for Sandy may be given greater attention and maybe just as important in the overall scheme of things. This is possibly why they have, on the surface, made some strange selection decisions.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 12:22am A guy on FB reckons Lenny Hayes at training, said Jack Hayes had fluid on his knee
Wipe it off with a rag.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I can see the logic with the selection of the ins, a common denominator, they all bring some experience, not champions, but getting the balance right with youth and experience.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 10:11am I can see the logic with the selection of the ins, a common denominator, they all bring some experience, not champions, but getting the balance right with youth and experience.
Agree. Not necessarily what I personally would have done but the changes make sense and we don't have the complete picture on our end.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 11:20am
and we don't have the complete picture on our end.

Nope we don’t.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

nefron55 wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 4:27am
Banger9798 wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 2:00am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 9:20pm These mystifying selections are not a good sign.

It's a sign we are tanking.

This is not a side that is intent on actually trying to win this (very winnable) match.

We are playing a very dangerous game on several fronts.

How many senior players will feel disenchanted by this decision? Happy to sacrifice winnable games in the first half of a season for a draft pick ?
Isn't this the opposite? Tanking would be bringing in a bunch of young guys who aren't ready yet -- Keeler, Allison, Garcia etc.

Bringing in Byrnes, Higgins, Ross, Stocker probably makes us more competitive in the short term, but at the expense of developing young players.

I don't love the selection but it's clearly the opposite of tanking.

Also not sure how you see this game as "very winnable." If playing Melbourne at the G is "very winnable," what was the Hawks game?

Stocker and Higgins , yes.

But no Crouch, Clark or Garcia to put up a fight for the midfield tells me we're not serious about winning.

Byrnes straight back in?
Last edited by Banger9798 on Fri 24 May 2024 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

This is a game we can win by playing attacking, positive football, exploiting Melbourne's lack of real leg speed.
That's what West Coast did, apparently ... I didn't watch the game.

If Lyon allows the game to open up, by shelving his negative lame plan, we should win on the MCG.

spert
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 12:19pm This is a game we can win by playing attacking, positive football, exploiting Melbourne's lack of real leg speed.
That's what West Coast did, apparently ... I didn't watch the game.

If Lyon allows the game to open up, by shelving his negative lame plan, we should win on the MCG.
You know Lyon will never do that, it will be same old same old.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This is always the aspect of RTB I’ve struggled with… a logic that’s very hard to follow with selections.
That said… some would suggest it’s like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, I’ve always thought that it was hugely important in illustrating the themes/plan of what we’re striving for.

Looking at this round…
Byrnes coming in is absolutely baffling. Really mediocre form in the seniors. Dropped. Absolutely stank it up at Sandy and is now up for consideration!?

Doesn’t get enough ball, disposal ain’t crash hot… not a particularly defensive player.

Terrible choice as sub as he’s not versatile nor an impact player.

More that that though… between him, Ross and Paton, they’re all kind of interchangeable in the qualities that they’re bringing in. Running midfielder… more defensively minded, role rather than impact, lower expectations for speed/disposal.

For mine… there’s only room for one of the three at any one time and that is clearly Ross who is the only one that could properly do a tagging role… the only one that could actually win some ball, the only one that could positively impact the contest and make a play.

Of those three… it goes against any sense of logic that there should be more than one of them selected at the time and unless there is an injury… it’s Ross head and shoulders.

Sharman is curious as well. I’m a Cooper fan but he hasn’t fired a shot this season. Happy to accept him on the role of sub as he’s the only one on the bench (excluding Owen who ain’t dropped) that has versatility.

Bonner IMO is in. People are critical of his mistake but I take a player that gets the ball 25 times to makes some mistakes versus one that gets 3 touches with no impact and makes none.
Pbly keep Dow and hope he can build on the debut.

That leaves Collard and Jones competing for the last spot as a forward pocket.
In that regard I could go either way. Obviously Collard was beaten soundly but I’m happy to accept the kid getting a proper go at it as growing pains. That said… obviously Jones is way more ready to impact but here’s the thing… if you play Jones… actually play him.

As in give him a full game to succeed or fail. See if he still has something to offer

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bloody richmond. Could push us back to a pick 3. Hopefully they get their s*** together.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 7:36pm They know what they're doing. It's all part of the development plan

...anyone questioning the club or the head coach is a Lyon hater.
Only some Scollop, only some....

It really depends on the issue that arouses critical discussion.

Likewise there are those like myself who support the choice the club made last October to bring back Ross Lyon, but that doesn't mean I'm uncritical of his coaching at times.

For me these are still very early days in his new stint and far too soon to be making judgments on his performance, all will be revealed in the fulness of time!

I sense from your initial comment that you don't consider yourself to be a Lyon-hater, and you're right, selection is based entirely on developing the raw talent, subject to who they're up against in terms of match-ups.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Killa
Club Player

When Wood came back from long term injury I thought I heard that because it was a shoulder injury he had been able to keep his fitness levels up

With Higgins, it was a suspension so able to keep his fitness levels up

With Henry he would have been unable to train hence underdone But I put his immediate return down to the pace and skill he brings, capabilities this side needs (hence recruiting him in the first place)

On that basis I am not surprised that Crouch was not selected after just the one game back

Clark’s return has been interrupted by the knee injury which forced him from the field in his first game back

With Byrnes we know he runs and runs - and it is at the MCG which suits him

With Sandringham playing when they play there will be carry over players who will not get a game this week

The other observation is that Richmond are in the same position we have been at this season and leading into last week - so a very weak VFL side with only a handful of AFL Listed players

Performance may have been considered on that basis - so knock the door down by performing consistently

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 5:04pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 23 May 2024 7:36pm They know what they're doing. It's all part of the development plan

...anyone questioning the club or the head coach is a Lyon hater.
Only some Scollop, only some....

It really depends on the issue that arouses critical discussion.

Likewise there are those like myself who support the choice the club made last October to bring back Ross Lyon, but that doesn't mean I'm uncritical of his coaching at times.

For me these are still very early days in his new stint and far too soon to be making judgments on his performance, all will be revealed in the fulness of time!

I sense from your initial comment that you don't consider yourself to be a Lyon-hater, and you're right, selection is based entirely on developing the raw talent, subject to who they're up against in terms of match-ups.
Sorry Sanctorum, it’s impossible for you to see my rolley eyes when I’m posting, so I should have put the emojis in there to help convey sarcasm.

I’m not a hater. I’m a doubter :mrgreen:

Seriously though… Whether they know what they’re doing will be revealed (as you said) in the fulness of time. I have reservations about the strategies for developing our players. Perhaps this is indicative of our resources compared to richer clubs or perhaps our lack of experienced development staff

I also have reservations about team selection. Clark should’ve been in the team last week and I’m really disappointed that he’s been left out of the line up to play Melbourne this week. For a guy who had a very good preseason, Hunter does not need 4 games at VFL level.

It will really irritate me if Crouch comes in against West Coast and Clark doesn’t. Ironic that it was Crouch who bashed heads with Hunts prior to Round 1.

Clark will provide benefit to this team and I believe we need to get him in the middle with Dow, Steele, Sincs etc…plus the younger guys Windy, Owens, Henry etc. The more they play together, the better they will gell as a unit. Who do you reckon we should be supporting and developing? Crouch turned 30 in January this year. Hunter Clark just turned 25 in March.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 24 May 2024 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’m absolutely bemused by the legend that is Ross Lyon

15 years as a Senior Coach - no premierships
Left both lists StK 2012 and Freo 2019 in a fkn mess
Is a defensive coach in an attacking era - Stand rule, kick in rule, 6-6-6. You make the most of these rule and use them to your advantage - not try to fight them with a 2009 fold back zone and press
Ross squeezes the ground
He needs to do the opposite and make it bigger - let players like Sincs, Wilson, Hill, Henry, Nas run and carry and get them out of traffic

Hold 6 forwards - and instead of ‘green time’ when we’ve lost, late in the last
Attack all the time

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Turn on the attacking footy at random - pick a time and switch. Catch the oppo off guard.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 5:14pm
The other observation is that Richmond are in the same position we have been at this season and leading into last week - so a very weak VFL side with only a handful of AFL Listed players

Performance may have been considered on that basis - so knock the door down by performing consistently
Jack Bytel was BOG for Sandringham in consecutive weeks and voted best player for the month of June 2023 for the Zebs. Instead of playing AFL and helping the team when we were struggling in clearances and contested footy, he was left lingering…

Incidentally…Bytel was left out in Round 17 last year when we were up against Melbourne. A team with the best credentialed inside mids and among the best in the league at winning clearances and contested footy.

In Round 19 last year we dropped Ronnie Byrnes for the match against North Melbourne and Ryan was replaced by that we'll known winger in Jack Bytel :shock: :roll: :roll:

No common sense in that. You can make excuses for Ross Lyon but sometimes there’s no logic in what’s happening.

Same thing this week with both Crouch and Clark missing from the senior team named to play on Sunday

BadRossco
Club Player

Noticed both Byrnes and Jones have been moved to emergencies should improve the disposal efficiency.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne versus St Kilda - Teams changes.
Melbourne

IN: A.Tomlinson, E.Langdon, J.van Rooyen, L.Hunter

OUT: J.Lever (Injured), B.Brown (Omitted), B.Howes (Omitted), J.Billings (Omitted)

St Kilda

IN: L.Stocker, S.Ross, J.Higgins

OUT: M.Phillipou (Omitted), B.Paton (Omitted), Z.Jones (Omitted)

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
shrodes
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 6:24pm Melbourne versus St Kilda - Teams changes.
Melbourne

IN: A.Tomlinson, E.Langdon, J.van Rooyen, L.Hunter

OUT: J.Lever (Injured), B.Brown (Omitted), B.Howes (Omitted), J.Billings (Omitted)

St Kilda

IN: L.Stocker, S.Ross, J.Higgins

OUT: M.Phillipou (Omitted), B.Paton (Omitted), Z.Jones (Omitted)
Emergencies Jones, Byrnes, Paton

So I guess Ross was trolling us with that Byrnes on the wing selection :D