Ross Lyon Looks ahead to Narrm - Pressser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon Looks ahead to Narrm - Pressser

spert wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 3:22pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 1:36pm If Lyon wasn't our coach, there is no way we play finals last year with the injuries we had for the first half of the season. No chance!
A few weeks ago, we would have beaten by twice as much against the Dogs if he wasn't coaching.
RTB can clearly coach, and I am certainly a lot more confident in our future than I would be if he wasn't in charge.
Hinckley and Bevo cop a lot of ire from their supporters too, but I think they should be careful what they wish for, because they just might get it.
The reality is just as has been pointed out in the media, that the era between 2013 and 2019 was an absolute sh*t show regarding recruiting and frankly, how any of those individuals with their fingers on those St KFC draft picks still have jobs in clubland (if they in fact do), defies logic. A monkey throwing a dart at a group of photos would have had more luck.
And I want the St.KFC to prioritize the draft for the next few seasons.
We have a good group of young players, just how good is yet to play out, but injuries cruelled our chances of top 4 last season, and injuries and suspensions have probably cruelled our chances of a finals berth this year, but at least the young players are getting not just games, but blocks of games, and in some cases, entire seasons' worth of games, worth of experience probably ahead of their time.
I would rather us be competitive and in 99% of our matches than previous models of the Saints where we are being beaten by ten goals regularly if we don't have close to our best 22 on the park.
Maybe we might have made the finals under Ratten, and might have beaten Dogs..why not? Lyon has been out-coached in a few games this season and one some dumb tactical moves in our losses where players just give every impression that they are in two minds about what to do with the ball in hand.
Loved Ratts and I am on the record on this site as posting that Ratts singlehandedly kept North very competitive last year, but ...
Not with the injuries we had last year, nah. And we saw what happened in 2021 when we played the Dogs under similar circumstances (we lost by 112 points), so my point still stands.

We have been in every game we have played this year bar one, while playing 7 or 8 guys under 21 every week. Let's see what happens after this week. I predict a big upturn in the way we play.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 3:43pm I predict a big upturn in the way we play.
Hope you're right

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 3:43pm
spert wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 3:22pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 1:36pm If Lyon wasn't our coach, there is no way we play finals last year with the injuries we had for the first half of the season. No chance!
A few weeks ago, we would have beaten by twice as much against the Dogs if he wasn't coaching.
RTB can clearly coach, and I am certainly a lot more confident in our future than I would be if he wasn't in charge.
Hinckley and Bevo cop a lot of ire from their supporters too, but I think they should be careful what they wish for, because they just might get it.
The reality is just as has been pointed out in the media, that the era between 2013 and 2019 was an absolute sh*t show regarding recruiting and frankly, how any of those individuals with their fingers on those St KFC draft picks still have jobs in clubland (if they in fact do), defies logic. A monkey throwing a dart at a group of photos would have had more luck.
And I want the St.KFC to prioritize the draft for the next few seasons.
We have a good group of young players, just how good is yet to play out, but injuries cruelled our chances of top 4 last season, and injuries and suspensions have probably cruelled our chances of a finals berth this year, but at least the young players are getting not just games, but blocks of games, and in some cases, entire seasons' worth of games, worth of experience probably ahead of their time.
I would rather us be competitive and in 99% of our matches than previous models of the Saints where we are being beaten by ten goals regularly if we don't have close to our best 22 on the park.
Maybe we might have made the finals under Ratten, and might have beaten Dogs..why not? Lyon has been out-coached in a few games this season and one some dumb tactical moves in our losses where players just give every impression that they are in two minds about what to do with the ball in hand.
Loved Ratts and I am on the record on this site as posting that Ratts singlehandedly kept North very competitive last year, but ...
Not with the injuries we had last year, nah. And we saw what happened in 2021 when we played the Dogs under similar circumstances (we lost by 112 points), so my point still stands.

We have been in every game we have played this year bar one, while playing 7 or 8 guys under 21 every week. Let's see what happens after this week. I predict a big upturn in the way we play.
It’s interesting
I’m hoping for the opposite
I’m ok with bottom 3 and some good showing/blocks of games into kids
End this season I’m hoping Darcy Wilson game tally well into the 20’s
End season top end talent drafted
I agree Ratten simply had zero defensive game plan - he did t at Carlton too
The old cheap goals out the back got found out

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Loved Ratts
I didn't have a problem with him, he had the same problem Lyon is having with regards to access to his first choice players.

It's always been a really hard club to coach for one reason and one reason alone, lack of talent.

It's perpetually frustrating that most of our fans don't get that and want a coach sacked 30 games into a hard rebuild. Just crazy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 26 May 2024 10:39am
Loved Ratts
I didn't have a problem with him, he had the same problem Lyon is having with regards to access to his first choice players.

It's always been a really hard club to coach for one reason and one reason alone, lack of talent.

It's perpetually frustrating that most of our fans don't get that and want a coach sacked 30 games into a hard rebuild. Just crazy.
As an old Saint supporter for decades, I am really over yet another "rebuild", there's never rebuilds, it's just endless juggling players in and out of the list..it's not a car where you just replace old for new. Lyon is clearly not a development type of coach and his expertise is fine-tuning a team already for the next step, so I think we're just going to flounder due to the club typically and historically not making smart or tough decisions on the playing list and coaches.
Lyon is lucky he is not coaching in some other professional sporting codes as he would have got the boot by now. Players he had from last year are still there, but are all falling away in form and that's something he has failed to turn around. The team, not the individual player, is failing and this is where the coach comes in, but it's headless chicken right now.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 26 May 2024 11:20am
Loved Ratts

As an old Saint supporter for decades, I am really over yet another "rebuild", there's never rebuilds, it's just endless juggling players in and out of the list..it's not a car where you just replace old for new. Lyon is clearly not a development type of coach and his expertise is fine-tuning a team already for the next step, so I think we're just going to flounder due to the club typically and historically not making smart or tough decisions on the playing list and coaches.
Lyon is lucky he is not coaching in some other professional sporting codes as he would have got the boot by now. Players he had from last year are still there, but are all falling away in form and that's something he has failed to turn around. The team, not the individual player, is failing and this is where the coach comes in, but it's headless chicken right now.
Paddy Mc Cartin being a fail wasn't helpful and with Max King being a real concern it makes it hard for a club like ours when you use your high draft picks on players you think you can build a team around don't meet that expectation.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Loved Ratts

Absolutely 100% correct. Couldn't agree more.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.