The list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: The list

We made the top 8 last year because every other side around us, had a spectacular fall

In other words...We did a Bradbury

Essendon, The Bulldogs, Geelong and Fremantle were all better than us and had games where they lost to sides they should have easily beaten. Even Richmond were fighting for a spot in the top 8 until probably Round 19 or 20.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 27 May 2024 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I'd suggest we are the Zeta in a field of muscle cars. Beautiful design but a washing machine motor as an engine. Would not matter who is driving, in the back or the front it's not going to win a burn off at the lights. Can go forward or reverse at the turn of the key. Really need to change that tiny hard working engine for a V8 or similar.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

RL would love to be utilising machines with limitless power and endurance, but unfortunately he's going to have to coach humans. You know...rely on his communication, patience, empathy, and conflict resolution. Mentoring skills and helping people develop as leaders.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 1:52pm RL would love to be utilising machines with limitless power and endurance, but unfortunately he's going to have to coach humans. You know...rely on his communication, patience, empathy, and conflict resolution. Mentoring skills and helping people develop as leaders.
A good assessment. Where Ross has succeeded he has inherited a group of self motivated, mature individuals. Building a full group of players into that mould is something he's not yet had success at.

This speed bump in his progress is the first real test of "Ross mk3". Can he keep a young side motivated and hungry to succeed, when the wins don't come.

Ajantis
Club Player

It seems Jorno's know alot more than we do.
Maybe consider there views/comments alittle more.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree. They're just as biased as anyone else.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 1:35pm We made the top 8 last year because every other side around us, had a spectacular fall

Essendon, The Bulldogs, Geelong and Fremantle were all better than us and had games where they lost to sides they should have easily beaten. Even Richmond were fighting for a spot in the top 8 until probably Round 19 or 20.
I don't agree. That's far too simplistic.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We went 5-0 at the start of the year - surprised everyone- were incredibly fit - and were under estimated

After that to now

We are 11W 19L

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Are we fit now?
If not why??

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 28 May 2024 1:14pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 1:35pm We made the top 8 last year because every other side around us, had a spectacular fall

I don't agree. That's far too simplistic.
You can look at things from many perspectives. This thread is discussing the list.

In my opinion, our list was not as strong or talented or blessed with a wealth of high draft picks...as say the Bulldogs or Geelong, Fremantle or even Essendon.

I'm merely saying that if you isolate our list versus theirs, they should have done better.

The arguments surrounding 'how' we qualified and 'who' was most responsible for our team making the top 8, are a totally different discussion.

In my opinion, the players and player leadership should get just as much, if not more credit than the senior coach or the coaching group as a whole.

I believe the playing group deserves most of the credit for success. That's what I've always believed.

Has the playing list deteriorated in 2024? I think Dow, Henry and Wilson have improved our list. Can the players and the captain pick and choose who plays each week and what position they play? No, they can't!!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Why all the constant stupidity?

EVERYONE who has ever watched 3 minutes of AFL can see we have ok coaches, and ok players.

But some early injuries caused derailing, some historical draft/trade/ player development has thin quality & thinner reserves...if someone is hurt or slumps we literally have no one to replace.

Ross' plan takes very fit, tackling, defending, "scrumming" style play that is not easily adapted...it may not suit us long term?

But between the young guys, injuries, ageing guys, ok but not brilliant coaches, staff & board...did I mention moaning, bitching, whining supporters?

Basically we are the worst. So give up...

Or hold on and see if we dip low low as she goes or steady.

Theres an equal chance we improve in 12 mths as there is we falter.