Salem yet another

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Salem yet another

HB this year who has destroyed the team and the reputation of our coaches

You could tell very early on that there needed to be a Salem plan, um donuts

He finishes with 32 disposals 14 (I repeat 14 ) all uncontested marks, 6 score involvements and 572 metres gained

Seriously disgraceful

How Collard was in this team shreds our selection integrity

Right now he is miles off AFL and why was he given #4 immediately, surely #38ish can become 4

Yes we want to see what the young ones can bring, but we also need to be realistic about their abilities

So 2 interconnected issues

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Salem yet another

You are right. Collard was running around like a headless chicken. At the moment he's not up to it. He should play at Sandy for the rest of the year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

To add to the Collard question in the last two games he has had 41 and 38% TOG, yesterday the next lowest was Dow at 66, in those two games 7 possessions total!!

Effectively we are playing one down and asking the others to do more

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

We are playing dead its obvious. Not sure why everyone is shocked.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It was Tomlinson that destroyed us. 12 Intercept possessions. May not far behind.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

On Collard, sometimes giving them a taste at the pace early can motivate to improve long term.

Playing every week at VFL and thinking you don't need to improve can slow his development.

So now, even if he plays well and kicks a few every week, we can keep him interested in improving at VFL level because he knows how big the step up is.

Killa
Club Player

Add to this that Caminiti does not impact, still learning the game

As I have often contributed to this site, in the first instance we need support for Marshall, support for Howard and support for King

And that was exposed again yesterday

The supports may be on our books courtesy of Heath, Keeler and Shoenmaker and I would expect they will all get exposure across the remainder of this season

It is bad luck Van Es is injured

The midfield?

We need bull who sees ball and gets ball leaving bruises in his wake - and arrogant to boot

We just do not have one

They tried Battle a few years back - so again as we give our kids a chance in defence?

We need hard as flint who puts himself where the ball is - not standing behind an opponent relying on tackle count for reputation

shrodes
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:14pm It was Tomlinson that destroyed us. 12 Intercept possessions. May not far behind.
Agreed. And Tomlinson's man for most of the day... Caminiti.
It's all good as a forward if you don't kick goals, as long as you bring it to ground / halve the contest. The worst possible thing that could happen is you don't kick goals and you let your opponent run all over the top of you because it starts impacting all the other forwards also.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 8:17pm
Otiman wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 6:14pm It was Tomlinson that destroyed us. 12 Intercept possessions. May not far behind.
Agreed. And Tomlinson's man for most of the day... Caminiti.
It's all good as a forward if you don't kick goals, as long as you bring it to ground / halve the contest. The worst possible thing that could happen is you don't kick goals and you let your opponent run all over the top of you because it starts impacting all the other forwards also.
This was not my point

Yes Tomlinson was great against Caminiti but at least in theory he had an opponent

Whilst Salem played by himself in a little area just backward of centre and I repeat was ALLOWED to take 14 uncontested marks

So my point was about coaching for accountability

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Playing every week in the VFL is something you do if you are not ready to play AFL and you are acclimatising to senior footy (he is 65kg and straight from WAFL colts)

His game vs BH was awful- and he got rewarded with AFL selection
He cost his team the game, he was in tears after the game, his confidence rock bottom
And we selected him - he was poor
We selected him again- surprise! He was poor again - subbed

Where is he know - absolutely shattered about his footy!

He looks like he’d rather be anywhere else atm

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 11:01pm Playing every week in the VFL is something you do if you are not ready to play AFL and you are acclimatising to senior footy (he is 65kg and straight from WAFL colts)

His game vs BH was awful- and he got rewarded with AFL selection
He cost his team the game, he was in tears after the game, his confidence rock bottom
And we selected him - he was poor
We selected him again- surprise! He was poor again - subbed

Where is he know - absolutely shattered about his footy!

He looks like he’d rather be anywhere else atm
I can hear the apologists preparing their replies to you.

Their development path won't be linear. They'll serve their apprenticeship and they'll make it if they're good enough. That includes our 1st round picks like Mattaes and Darcy.

Anyway, young talented players aren't as important as having the right coach.

What's important is that we acknowledge RL got us into multiple Grand Finals 15 years ago

In Ross we Trust

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was good coaching.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Salem is a place famous for concocted false claims against innocents. Great injustices were done by people taking advantage of tough times and feelings of insecurity but really just being opportunistic. A preacher was prominent in driving the injustices. No good came from the witch hunts.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Salem is a very good player and always has been. We are not Robinson Crusoe being a team who he plays well against.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep
Salem ? Didn’t notice him

“Yeah….nah””
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Collard was completely mismatched all day - was absolutely outsized by his opponent.
There is no doubt he’ll explode into the afl in a year or two. Just won’t be with us unfortunately

#1 Ryder fan
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 12:17am
Yep
32 disposals and 5 coaches votes

At lease we know on here who actually watches the game

And again I’m not saying he was their best player (clearly Gawn) but that he was allowed to take so many marks and receive uncontested possessions was a black mark on our coaching

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 10:03am
Teflon wrote: Wed 29 May 2024 12:17am
Yep
32 disposals and 5 coaches votes

At lease we know on here who actually watches the game

And again I’m not saying he was their best player (clearly Gawn) but that he was allowed to take so many marks and receive uncontested possessions was a black mark on our coaching
Who needs to watch the game with your insight ??
Bigger issues on the day than Salem
Steele had 32 last week …largely ineffectual

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon is pointing the finger at one of the few players who can hold their head high...

Makes no sense, but is understandable when you consider that he's looking for someone to blame... anyone really... anyone except the senior coach

Steele has been close to best on ground in 7 or 8 games this year. Again ...against Melbourne he was one of our better performers. Steele beat Oliver, Viney and Petracca for clearances in the first half.

Steele took 10 marks. He had score involvements in most of our goals up until 3/4 time including kicking one himself. Incidentally, we only kicked 5 majors up until 3/4 time.

We've all noticed how flat the players are at times. Some just seem uninterested. Coaches box too. I think Enright looks like he'd rather be somewhere else

The midfield obviously needs support. Maybe Steele and the rest of the team think they're playing with one arm tied behind their back.

Maybe the lack of motivation or interest has to do with team selection lately. Not sure why Clark needed 4 games in the VFL when he'd had a good preseason

Any suggestion that he wasn't fit enough is just making excuses for poor match committee decisions