GT's latest comments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Still how can WestCoast paysimilar money for all there big names as Carlton does? it doesn't make sence what so ever.

JeffDunne

ausfatcat wrote:totally agree the salary cap should be the salary cap. And the payments all be included in there..... But look at the NRL nearly every year a club has to get rid of a player they want to keep because of the salary cap why doesn't this happen in the AFL??? If it means no deals outside of the salary cap so be it (even if they aren't guarenteed) and if this means a big jump in the salary cap so be it but it should be cut out.
Players don't move in large part because they can't easily.

Look at Thornton from Carlton last year. Look at what happened to Stevens and the hell hole he ended up in.

I have no doubts players get 'favours' to make it more attractive to stay and that plays into it. It's not legal and if it can be proved then I say expose the cheats.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:I'm sure he had a reason for raising it.
I'm sure he did too.....

So what's the reason?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

If it's within the rules & everyone is doing it, why did GT need to be so "cloak & daggerish" about it?

Remember, Aker made the suggestion about EPO 2 weeks ago, so who did the drug testers immediately target? Would be foolish to think the AFL won't be asking to see our books soon given the person who did all of our contract negotiations is the person making the claims.

JeffDunne

ausfatcat wrote:Still how can WestCoast paysimilar money for all there big names as Carlton does? it doesn't make sence what so ever.
The AFL essentially employs 16 x 35-odd players each year and the belief is the amount paid should be spread equally over the 16 groups.

All teams start from the same position and I don't have a problem with that. Healy does raise a good point in that it inhibits the earning potential of middle tier players in strong clubs, but that is the whole point of having a salary cap. The lack of free agency is what costs players achieving their earning potential and IMO this is an area the AFL need to reform. Free agency rather than priority picks will help clubs become competitive more quickly. Might also result in us getting an A grade ruckman too.

JeffDunne

snoopygirl wrote:If it's within the rules & everyone is doing it, why did GT need to be so "cloak & daggerish" about it?
It's not within the rules and everyone is not doing it.
Remember, Aker made the suggestion about EPO 2 weeks ago, so who did the drug testers immediately target?
West Coast? :?
Would be foolish to think the AFL won't be asking to see our books soon given the person who did all of our contract negotiations is the person making the claims.
It would be foolish to think the AFL will take any notice of GT's comments.

And if they did, do you really think GT would be stupid enough to dob himself in? I mean really. :roll:

JeffDunne

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
I'm sure he did too.....

So what's the reason?
To highlight that some teams are cheating. :?

Do you have a more sinister theory?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
I'm sure he did too.....

So what's the reason?
To highlight that some teams are cheating. :?

Do you have a more sinister theory?
No sinister theory on my behalf.

Just pondering.............

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Sorry JeffDunne, I'm aware that it's not within the rules, was trying to make the point to those who are arguing that it is. GT would not need to be so sneaky about it, if it was an accepted practice.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

it's a lopp hole that is exploited.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

see footy classified talking about this, players that this has definantly happened to are Chris Judd, Nathan Brown and Darren Gasper all were looked at by the AFL and given the all clear.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Also the GT RB loan is closed and settled Grant paid rod, not the whole amount but did pay him.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

yep, according to Footy Classified lots of teams a doing it, and 'everybody' knows about it (including the AFL) and they aren't doing anything to stop it, so therefore allowing it to happen

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
JeffDunne

ausfatcat wrote:see footy classified talking about this, players that this has definantly happened to are Chris Judd, Nathan Brown and Darren Gasper all were looked at by the AFL and given the all clear.
I can understand why West Coast might need to cheat, but Richmond?

Why on earth would they need to players outside the cap to keep them?

I'm pleased to hear the AFL looked at it though (presuming this wasn't Caro or Hutchy doing their usual 'specualtion').

Carl Mynott
Club Player

They also said on Footy Classified that Ricky Nixon had told the Saints to be more "creative"with Reiwoldts contract..........

It's starting to sound like there is the official salary cap and the unofficial one,
designed by financially creative people who probably also do tax returns for the likes Glenn Wheatley..........

I hope its all bulls***,i mean what would Hutchy know.......

Why would Grant mention it if it didn't have some substance........

The more things change the more they stay the same
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Carl Mynott wrote:
Why would Grant mention it if it didn't have some substance........
the grant thomas mindset... Headline first, consequences of statement second.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
JeffDunne

Would you like to give examples where that's happened this year fonz?

Now don't confuse him with our president. :wink:

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

wouldn;t know where to start.

he has acted like a 2 year old since his departure

SaintWodonga
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:wouldn;t know where to start.

I don't think his ego has been able to handle the sacking... It's been a big joke, can't remember such a sook from another coach. Yet I thought when it happened he handled it well...

Time to move on GT.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:wouldn;t know where to start.

I don't think his ego has been able to handle the sacking... It's been a big joke, can't remember such a sook from another coach. Yet I thought when it happened he handled it well...

Time to move on GT.
i just think its funny how we haven't heard a yelp from Connolly, Pagan, or daniher since they have been sacked.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

I think GT has "handled" himself quite well this year considering all the shite
that has been thrown his way,i mean,even the mention of his name causes another bucket to be loaded with the stinking stuff ready to be hurled at him as soon as possible......

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
JeffDunne

He is paid to give an opinion.

When he does, for some reason the entire football world seems to want to comment on it.

TBH, I can't think of one thing other than the reply to Rod that he'd probably do different if he could have his time again. As we've seen in this thread, Healy writes an article on this and it's hardly mentioned. GT mentions it and it's been discussed all day.

Whoever decided to give him a gig on SEN should be given a rise.

JeffDunne

fonz_#15 wrote:i just think its funny how we haven't heard a yelp from Connolly, Pagan, or daniher since they have been sacked.
Connolly & Daniher have both been in the 'box' making special comments since their sacking. They are also both after a coaching job.

Pagan wouldn't go near the media if you paid him.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i meant in a contraversial sense.

they have shut their mouth and done their job havent they. not kicking up a stink like hard done by grant.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Carl Mynott wrote:I think GT has "handled" himself quite well this year considering all the shite
that has been thrown his way,i mean,even the mention of his name causes another bucket to be loaded with the stinking stuff ready to be hurled at him as soon as possible......

:P
i cant tell whether or not you are eing sarcastic as this is an internet forum but if you believe what you have just written to be the truth you are fair dinkum kidding yourself.