Rod it's time to go.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

amazes me that people can still defend this incompetence.

Our biggest problem over the past few seasons has been the management of injuries. Our response? Sack the coach and let the entire off-field conditioning staff walk.

In 2004 when we were investigated for collusion . . . Rod's response? "We have every faith in the AFL administration and their processes"

Campbell Brown fined for lying - where was the investigation for collusion?

"We have every faith in the AFL administration and their processes"

I could cite a dozen examples of where Rod's response is "We have every faith in the AFL administration and their processes"

FFS, Eddie was at least prepared to call a spade a spade this week and label them incompetent for still not having cameras cover the entire playing field and he wasn't even involved!

Our response :

"We have every faith in the AFL administration and their processes"

Fair dinkum indeed.
Oh come on JD - We have over the course of the RB regime had the most successful period in the club's history (expect for the brief period in the 60s). We have never had this level of profitabilty or membership numbers. The jury is still out on the coach change, though I think it will be for the better, the signs are there.

On the down side there are some concerns, BUT a new ticket needs to be credible and not be a Fox backed ticket (who happily wanted to sell the club to the blues), or GT...too much baggage.

Having faith in the afl process is the best response...It might make you feel better if he threatens them with legal action, but that is pure stupidity in business terms...something I'm not sure you understand....

kaos theory
Club Player

How much money do Collingwood spend on legal fees?

You don't have to run to the courts to get your point accross, just stand up for you bloody club once in a while.

Rather than do that, "we will go away and have a little think about it"
Ok, so what type of response would have made you happy?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rod it's time to go.

JeffDunne wrote:Rod it's time to go
Who replaces Rod?

Your anointed replacement must have qualities that Rod lacks so what are these prerequisites?

ie. XXXX is the best replacement for Rod as he has a history of performance in areas that Rod lacks such as………………

Surely you would not be calling for a replacement without a suitable (willing) candidate in mind.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Rod Butterss would be fully aware of how the AFL operates under the current regime.

That is, if you're not one of their faves and you cross them, they will see to it that you get a pretty difficult time from them in future.

If you are one of their faves, they will see to it that any issues are quietly swept under that carpet (West Coast and drugs) or situations will be manipulated (Barry Hall's infamous punch) for their preferred outcome.

Also, the tribunal will in 99% of cases stand by their initial ruling, as they don't want people to see it as even more incompetent and inconsistent than is already apparent to eveyone.

It is clear to Rod Butterss that we have never been flavour of the month with the current AFL top brass. After Grant Thomas was slugged for criticising umpires the saints were rewarded with 13 games in 2006 with 6 day turnarounds, which is normally unheard of. Coincidence? Not.

We have to put this one aside at the moment, and the best thing for Rod to do now is to garner support behind the scenes from other presidents of other clubs and the Players' Association to overhaul the tribunal system and introduce PRECEDENT, which is the greatest failing of the current system.

kaos theory
Club Player

Well said cwrcyn.

Agree JoffaBurns , any potential replacements NEED to be credible. Every board has its strenghts & weaknesses.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
How much money do Collingwood spend on legal fees?

You don't have to run to the courts to get your point accross, just stand up for you bloody club once in a while.

Rather than do that, "we will go away and have a little think about it"
Ok, so what type of response would have made you happy?
Whatever the response from RB I think we would have seen a 'thread' like this from JD. He has not hidden his agenda on the matter in a host of other threads previously and will continue to push for RB and the Board to go. He has been quite open and transparent about his feelings.

Whilst I personally would have liked the Club to 'come out swinging' in this instance (I emailed the Club last night demanding action) I will wait to see who (if any) wish to challenge this Board and what they will bring to our Club before I 'throw the babay out with the bathwater'.

At the moment I don't see any crdible alternative to RB and his Board. Other than Bedwell has anybody stated they are standing?

saintlee
Club Player

luckysaint wrote:
saintlee wrote: I'm with you Mr X, RB's comments were fine, there was no need to make rash statements of any kind when he was interviewed....was a good decision to let the dust settle and then announce a course of action at a later time....some people clearly dislike RB no matter what he does, I personally think he has done a great job for St Kilda
He had two days to work out plans of action for each scenario that might result from the tribunal. I thought his response was weak and was indecisive (one of the worst things you can be imo). Generally I thought the response of the whole St Kilda hierarchy was poor and that they were trying to treat the members like common mugs. They knew they were never going to appeal but they wanted to make it look like they didn't like the decision. I would have had more respect for the board if they had said something like this:
"We are disappointed and angry with the decision but ultimately with the fiscal circumstances and the competitiveness of the competition, it just isn't viable to pursue this in court. We, like most Victorian clubs are finding it hard enough to survive without getting further involved in situations like this, created by an inadequate system."
Would have thrown it back in the AFL's face.
I respect your opinion, but I don't share it. I was happy with RB's actions and statement re the baker case, and I think he expressed st kilda's unhappiness with the decision responsibly and clearly. Going to the extent that you suggest could be seen as childish...

JeffDunne

kaos theory wrote:Oh come on JD - We have over the course of the RB regime had the most successful period in the club's history (expect for the brief period in the 60s).
Brief period?

I think you should read up on the history of the club. We had far more success over a longer period than anything achieved under Rod.
Having faith in the afl process is the best response...It might make you feel better if he threatens them with legal action, but that is pure stupidity in business terms...something I'm not sure you understand....
Tell me, did Eddie threaten legal action this week?

Did we?

Rod is the one that threatens . . . probably too strong a word . . . raises would be better . . . legal action and then backs down?

JeffDunne

cwrcyn wrote:Rod Butterss would be fully aware of how the AFL operates under the current regime.

That is, if you're not one of their faves and you cross them, they will see to it that you get a pretty difficult time from them in future.
You mean like when Sydney got an injunction for one of their players to play in a grand final and then withdrew the action after the game?

So you are endorsing the "they are corrupt so we should be bend over and take it" position?

No wonder you support Rod. He never gets out of the position.

JeffDunne

Mr Magic wrote:Whatever the response from RB I think we would have seen a 'thread' like this from JD. He has not hidden his agenda on the matter in a host of other threads previously and will continue to push for RB and the Board to go. He has been quite open and transparent about his feelings.
I actually supported their position in another thread on how we handled this week up until last night.

My 'agenda' as everyone keeps putting it, is to have someone strong running this club. Someone who is prepared to stand up for the club, its players and supporters. Christ hang me for wanting someone that puts the club first. Rod is very careful about not embarrassing the AFL. Pity he didn't show us the same respect.

Rod was speaking to the membership last night and we got a pissweak response. Ranting may not have achieved much, but at least he would have been speaking on behalf of most members/supporters.

TBH, I can't see why we would appeal and then not carry it through today. Did anyone seriously think a tribunal sitting in judgement of itself was going to find fault with their conduct?

So Rod's pissed $5K + QC fees up the wall for us to look weak.

Bravo. :roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
"we will go away and have a little think about"

Is this guy for real?

Who does he think he's talking to - 8 year olds?

Stop patronising your membership and grow some farking balls.

FFS, our players must cringe at the thought of having this fool representing their interests.

Embarressed by his comments last night, embarrassed by them today.

Archie's "our advice is we would lose but we're still thinking about it" comment is almost as bad. Why on earth would you say "our advice is we'd lose" when you're still thinking about it.

Ken Sheldon's "should of" comment last night - further embarrassment.

God help us .
This has to be the most stupid post you have ever made. If RB & the board need replacing it will not be for their decision on the baker case.

What childish & stupid thing to say. So is the club supposed to jump up and down scream and carry on like idoits and rush off to the high court, spend millions, lose focus on the things that matter, ie winning games running the club, just so we can say, "we stood up to the afl"??? How rediculous!

You have for a long time looked for ways of getting rid of RB & the board, but using this as a reason is stupid.
Look Kaos, there are probably two options.

1/ go away and make a considered decision in consultation with the Board and football department and your legal advisors.

Or

2/ Beat your chest and rant and rave like a Blowhard and do nothing.

Pretty obvious which is JeffDunne’s preferred option

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
kaos theory wrote:
"we will go away and have a little think about"

Is this guy for real?

Who does he think he's talking to - 8 year olds?

Stop patronising your membership and grow some farking balls.

FFS, our players must cringe at the thought of having this fool representing their interests.

Embarressed by his comments last night, embarrassed by them today.

Archie's "our advice is we would lose but we're still thinking about it" comment is almost as bad. Why on earth would you say "our advice is we'd lose" when you're still thinking about it.

Ken Sheldon's "should of" comment last night - further embarrassment.

God help us .
This has to be the most stupid post you have ever made. If RB & the board need replacing it will not be for their decision on the baker case.

What childish & stupid thing to say. So is the club supposed to jump up and down scream and carry on like idoits and rush off to the high court, spend millions, lose focus on the things that matter, ie winning games running the club, just so we can say, "we stood up to the afl"??? How rediculous!

You have for a long time looked for ways of getting rid of RB & the board, but using this as a reason is stupid.
Look Kaos, there are probably two options.

1/ go away and make a considered decision in consultation with the Board and football department and your legal advisors.

Or

2/ Beat your chest and rant and rave like a Blowhard and do nothing.

Pretty obvious which is JeffDunne’s preferred option

here here

heroes at a keyboard!!!

Like me unarmed on all the facts.....................

so easy just to say............go to court...........

Yes I think Baker should not have been put up to tribunal............

Once he went up..............Evidence stuffed up BY US

Our leagal team??
Bakes himself??

I don't no exactly what bakes was told to say............DID he infact say it exactly as advised

AGAIN do not know

There was an appeal method.........we bombed out again

Club........has discussed with QC

advised not to proceed...to Court

WHY SHOULD THE BOARD AND PRES be shafted for that......

Just like society everywhere.............BLAME EVERYONE ELSE

saint4life
JeffDunne

So we stuffed up the defence . . . but the administration shouldn't be crticised for it?

Wow. :shock:

Ok, I'm convinced. We deserve everything we get. :cry:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:So we stuffed up the defence . . . but the administration shouldn't be crticised for it?

Wow. :shock:

Ok, I'm convinced. We deserve everything we get. :cry:
As I mentioned

Was it legal team

Was it Bakes

I presume Football Dept.....Football manager oversaw

So you are saying get rid of board because we stuffed up............

and keep the same legal team............

makes sense

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Waste of a string....

Fact is once Bakes said what he said....Bakes was gone....and our case was gone.

Ironically the rules brought in post Koi being knocked out screwed Bakes.

Now Sheldon may well be at fault here for not briefing Bkaes well enough and for being too focuused on overcoming Freos evidence rather than in positioning bakes as just in the wrong spot at the wrong time.....but what RB did was ok.

We stuffed up in the Tribunal room....and not outside in fronto of the cameras.

As to any alternate Board...I will wait and havea look at the ticket.....and vote for those I think are best for the club.

But this incident will not be much of a factor........but is a factor.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 24 Aug 2007 5:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mischa
Club Player

I just wish the board cared when the football club keeps getting treated like crap. Not convinced. Wonder what Kennett or even Smorgon would have done (and this from someone toatally dependent on AFL handouts-maybe we should become like those clubs WB. Melb etc-maybe we will get treated with more respect). THe AFL scumbags have proven over and over that they hate St.Kilda with a passion-still nothing. Please don't let me see replays of Butterss sitting next to Demetriou at another game. Enough is enough :twisted: God save us.

JeffDunne

chook, 2 or 3 years ago we made a big song and dance about reviewing how we handled our representation. Has anything changed? "Not sure" is my answer to that question. But like our injury management, it looks like we haven't improved despite a lot of talk.

TBH, I don't blame the club or the representation for the decision handed down. The evidence that resulted in the charge and sending it to the tribunal was proven to be at best erroneous, at worst a fabrication.

The hearing should have ended there and then.

AP Erebus
Club Player

The St Kilda Football Club would look like spoilt brats who didn't like what mommy said if they did anything other than accept the appeals board decision. They would definately lose any kind of court challenge and it would make the club look like sore losers...

This is just sour grapes from people who are pushing an agenda on the wrong topic...

It wasn't RB's fault that Baker cleaned up Farmer, had the crap tribunal record and got done heavily...

JeffDunne

AP Erebus wrote:They would definately lose any kind of court challenge and it would make the club look like sore losers...
You base this on what exactly?

Archie's comment or your own opinion?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:I just wish the board cared when the football club keeps getting treated like crap.
Spot on mischa.

Gutless and spineless :roll: Our legal opinion is that we would have failed in court :roll:

Oh yeah and your legal opinion was that Bakes would get off after incriminating himself.

Time to get some new legal opinion FFS. And test it in court.

As others have said, this is the third or fourth time that Butters has "not ruled out legal action" only to back down and be the typical usual squib arselicker of the AFL and the commission.

Well the smoke and mirrors only works for a certain time. This was this boards litmus test IMHO and they have failed Baker, the clubs good name, and their paid up supporters.

Rod Butters your time is up. Go out gracefully or be pushed.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:This was this boards litmus test IMHO and they have failed Baker, the clubs good name, and their paid up supporters.

Rod Butters your time is up. Go out gracefully or be pushed.
To be honest I tend to agree with those who say it's time to go. Over the years I've in general been happy with RB's stewardship. But a few things this year have got up my nose......

1/ The ridiculous blasting of GT on SEN am show a couple of months back.

2/ Bakergate (someone had to call it that!).

I no longer think that the current board represent the sort of integrity and dignity that I believe St Kilda needs.

I don't like the fact that we are historically the worst performing club in the league. But at least recently other clubs have had to take us seriously. IMO we are now being taken as a laughing stock once again. This whole saga has been handled badly by the admin of the club.

Thankfully the club comprises of the fans, players (including coaches) and the administration. It is only the administration that have let the club down.

Tonight the players can make their own statement. And so can we by getting behind our boys.

At the end of the season we can make our own statement on the board - as things stand I will vote against RB in the expectation that a serious rival candidate will emerge by the time of the next AGM.

One caveat - I will not abide by the BUTTERRS PRINCIPLE i.e. if we win the premiership this year I reserve the right NOT to vote to sack the board. Why? Because winning means everything (almost).

In the meantime, GO SAINTS for tonight!!!!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:[

here here

h

try "hear, hear"................ :roll: :roll: :roll:

....unless you are calling to someone ...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:I just wish the board cared when the football club keeps getting treated like crap. Not convinced. Wonder what Kennett or even Smorgon would have done (and this from someone toatally dependent on AFL handouts-maybe we should become like those clubs WB. Melb etc-maybe we will get treated with more respect). THe AFL scumbags have proven over and over that they hate St.Kilda with a passion-still nothing. Please don't let me see replays of Butterss sitting next to Demetriou at another game. Enough is enough :twisted: God save us.
well...i guess for a start . kennett would have been aware of the afl's rule changes and instructed baker accordingly........we are hicksville.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Its not just about going to court.

For once I would love a prez of OURS to actually stand up and say what we are all damn well thinking.

Fkn give me a mic and I'll scream blue murder about how this comp is unbalanced and how we are constantly getting screwed.

FFS.... So they fine him, the club can pay. Make the damn AFL sweat a bit.

And dont let up on it after the damn herald sun tires of it in a weeks time.

Thats what I want.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Hmmm, agendas eveywhere !