Let's be positive - best performance of 2007

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Let's be positive - best performance of 2007

I thought both teams were terrific tonight.

WCE, even without Kerr and with Cousins 1/2 fit and Judd 1/4 fit (and now seemingly with Hansen out for the season), still looked well and truly capable of repeating Geelong's 1990s nightmares if both those teams happen to make the GF again. Their midfield is simply breathtakingly good, and with Lynch up front and Glass at the back both in rare form, they looked a pretty complete footy side.

But we gave it everything we had, even after losing Attard to injury and having X playing more or less as a passenger after the first quarter.

Almost every player put in: although I thought that both Raph and Fergs were pretty disappointing (Raph did some good things and some atrocious things, while Ferguson simply didn't look up to it to me). And Birss's disposal doesn't seem to be all that much better than McGough's.

But Riewoldt, Lenny, Fiora, the Fishers, Blake, Kosi, Gram until he had to play more defensively, Goose at times, Milne at times, Bally at times were all wonderful. We should be proud of their efforts. And I thought that Lyon had another good night in the box, to match his much improved perfomance last week against Freo.

It was disappointing to lose, and maybe we won't make the finals now, but you can't help having a good feeling after seeing your team put in like it did tonight.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

In other words, It was a good loss!

As a stkilda supporter i will be content with mediocrity. Oh the shame of it all...

But i do hope they BEAT the cats in the grand final. Geelong are forbidden from winning a grand final.

firthy
Club Player

meher baba - what world are you in - certainly not the fair dinkum have a go st kilda world. The tigers await you

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We tried hard, but, eugh, I'm sorry - we were up 35-7 and we choked on it when we were supposed to be chasing a finals berth?

Seriously, for all the flowery and superfluous adjectives that will be spouted by our oh-there's-always-next-year fans, West Coast were on one knee tonight and we let them run over us.

We put up a fight, but really, only for a combined total of two quarters of of footy.

I think you need to play four quarters of footy to be proud of your efforts.

Less than 50% isn't enough to win you matches.

I will never subscribe to the theory of having a 'good loss' when you're supposed to be chasing premierships. They don't exist.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We tried hard, but, eugh, I'm sorry - we were up 35-7 and we choked on it when we were supposed to be chasing a finals berth?

Seriously, for all the flowery and superfluous adjectives that will be spouted by our oh-there's-always-next-year fans, West Coast were on one knee tonight and we let them run over us.

We put up a fight, but really, only for a combined total of two quarters of of footy.

I think you need to play four quarters of footy to be proud of your efforts.

Less than 50% isn't enough to win you matches.

I will never subscribe to the theory of having a 'good loss' when you're supposed to be chasing premierships. They don't exist.
Well hang on a minute. I thought the Eagles lifted enormously after quarter time and again after half time. I thought their second-string midfielders like Priddis were extraordinary tonight. In some ways, without Judd and Kerr in the midfield, they looked much more direct than usual. And Cox is an extraordinary player.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
JeffDunne

To be honest I thought we were pathetic when West Coast first challeged us.

We should have known they'd come out firing after their 1st quarter performance. Rather than lift, we thought we could cruise.

Some strange decisions from the coaching box too.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:To be honest I thought we were pathetic when West Coast first challeged us.

We should have known they'd come out firing after their 1st quarter performance. Rather than lift, we thought we could cruise.

Some strange decisions from the coaching box too.
yep...but we still should have won.......we f***ed up three goals in the first quarter.....gave them an easy goal with a stupid 50 metre penalty.. wtf was voss doing......and what the f*** was dal thinking when he played on after ferguson was given a free.......

..then glass's
.. front on attack on kossi in the last few minutes was a definate free to kossi......

.....the maggots .managed to stich us up again...three times they payed doubtful frees when we were on a break..
Last edited by stinger on Fri 24 Aug 2007 11:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I find it funny that I'm defending Lyon's efforts tonight, and those of some of the players I don't normally like like Blake and Birss (and, while I'm at it, I actually thought Attard had a great go before he got injured).

A final thought, because I know that dwelling on Saintsational too long with all the moaners will only bring me down: I reckon the player we really missed tonight was not Baker but Maxie. If he'd played, Lynch wouldn't have run riot like he did, and it would have been a whole different ball game.

- Jonathan Swift
always tomorrow
Club Player

your worst post in that long it resembles our skill level after quarter time....which clearly was atrocious.

and matthew clarke, what the heck is he doing playing before barry brooks and dare i say it rix.

its a travesty that the fast moving, courageous, hard running football played over the last couple of years has been replaced by shite like that.

west coast were playing half a dozen players injured, seriously injured and we could not compete.

Saints to go great in 08!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

always tomorrow wrote:your worst post in that long it resembles our skill level after quarter time....

wtf does that mean..... :?:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
HI&LOEWE
Club Player

Is our chance for a cup over for this generation of players?
In 2004 we bet Geelong by ten goals and West Coast by more than a hundred points.
We are stuck in quick sand while they are flying.

always tomorrow
Club Player

atrocious....you stopped reading a couple of words to early.

Saints to go great in 08!
Ape_Man
Club Player

I don't believe we fought well as a team.

Early we hunted in packs, but as the game tightened the meek looked to the mighty. I thought it remarkable the esteem that David Schwartz held Fiora in the first half and then watch as Aaron fell away as the game needed to be won. Lyon needs to show the team the first half.

What was displayed in the first half was the real St Kilda. Someone just needs to let the players know.

sainter104
Club Player

Would of been wrapped with tonights performnce if we were a top 4 chance. In other words we should of made more of chances earlier in the season. Fantastic game to watch only dissapointed in the anticipated Fergason season debut only to wonder why we re drafted him. still a good chance to finnish 8th and we will give some troble for a while. Bugger it theres ALWAYS next season.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

3rd quarter aside, we had a good game. BUT we allowed our opponents some breathing space, especially our key defenders. Here's hoping Wall has something to offer!

carn_sainter
Club Player

that was finals quality footy

our first half was good enough - footy that made me really want us to win so we would make the finals because we were playing good enough to win a few

our second half was not

3rd quarter we couldn't get near it around the ball, they thrashed us

i dunno, we were without attard and also x, pretty much, so did that have an impact in such a high intensity game?

it may have...

either way, our fourth was better and we were a couple of nice passes away from a win