Game Thoughts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

midas_touch
Club Player

Game Thoughts

Well tonights game shows that you must sustain a four quarter performance when playing a good side such as the eagles. Whilst the umpiring seriously bordered on ridiculous for much of the night, we really only had ourselves to blame for putting us in such a position where we had to fight for the game. Our disposal was horrible in the third term, we missed targets, butchered the ball and our decision making was poor. We once again had too many people missing in action for the night, plus we missed a lot of gettable shots for goal. We gave them an inch, and they took a mile.

Some things to note:

- Welcome back Lenny Hayes. He was simply outstanding, putting his body on the line and attacked the ball with real intensity. Arguably his best game since his comeback, and was our best midfielder by far.
- Nick Riewoldt once again worked tirelessly all night, presenting countless times and finally kicking straight for a change.
- Our pressure was excellent in the first term. West Coast had as much, if not more of the ball than us in the first term, but our pressure rendered them ineffective.
- Gram played his best game in quite some time, providing the run and carry in place of Sam Fisher who played more of a KP role tonight.
- Fiora tried hard all night, has cemented a spot in our best 22.
- We contested hard in the final term, but we were on the back foot, allowing the Eagles to be 3 goals in front at one stage. The damage had been done in the third term, and the eagles are too good a side to surrender a lead.
- Voss, M Clarke, Raph, Blake and Fergs were all very ordinary. Cannot guarantee that Raph and Fergs will be at St Kilda next year (I recall saying inanimate carbon rod > Raph after he made a blunder in the final term :P). But seriously, I cringe every time he has the ball as he seems absolutely clueless whenever he has it.
- Gehrig was soundly beaten by Glass, who is a very good player. Shouldn't have dropped that mark directly in front of goal in the third term. You don't let these opportunities slip away in such a high stakes game, and when these opportunities are few and far between.
- Their mids got the better of ours. Cousins was able to play on his own terms, plus Priddis tore it up as well. Dean Cox smashed us in the ruck ans was very dominant around the ground. He was effectively another midfielder. Dal and Joey struggled to impose themselves on the game, plus Ball was as ineffective as Judd.
- Gilbo just needs to work on his kicking (i.e. Gram of 2006), then he'll be a top notch player. That tackle on Judd was awesome.

Overall, we played pretty well for the night. We werent disgraced at all, however the Eagles are too good a side to be let back into the game, like we did in the third term. We still have a chance to make the eight, we now need Essendon, Adelaide and Brisbane to all lose once. This is a realistic scenario, however we just need to focus on defeating the Tigers, and hope results go our way.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Good post.

I think two main things that i realised tonight are, our fitness isnt top rate, and the Eagles are physically much stronger than we are.

time after time they shrugged off our tackles, and if one did eventually stick, they were strong enough in their core and legs to stand up and dish off to a teammate.

they are an incredible team - the best side in the competition in my view (including geelong).

another year with a solid pre-season and our game plan refined and executed and we'll be fit, firing and gunning for that flag in 2008.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

nice to meet ya also MT :)

lefty
Club Player

Disagree on Gram

Played his best game? How many shonky kicks did he do!? I was also mega angry when he bombed it into the goalsquare & gehrig got a lucky goal, when all he had to do was a chip pass to Fiora. Having said that, he wasn't the only one, Montagna had a shocker.

Talking about Gehrig, he always seems to struggle against Glass. We need to find a way for him to beat Glass. If that means standing behind the goals, then leading and using the goalpost to get rid of Glass then so be it.

hamill01
Club Player

Thought there were several key factors that led to our eventual downfall, and our downfall for a lot of the season. Fitness has been improving over the year, especially considering we were decimated by injuries at the start of the year. As for stamina, players are paid a bucket load, and should be fit enough to play a whole four quarters (certain individuals like Harvey are an exception). Our skill level I think is rather good, we just lack the execution, which makes it all unstuck for us. That, and confidence.

Our midfield - our strongest and weakest link if you ask me, and where most of our problems lie, as well as our strengths. Our tackling, running and physical intensity is nothing short of astounding, as shown particularly in the first quarter. We really need to work on our execution into our forward line. It's a huge problem that really cost us I feel - especially at the end where the game was still up to be won. If we wish to improve, we need to put the ball in front of and to the advantage of our forwards, not to their feet or over their heads or over the boundary line. Our forward line is amazing when given quick, strong and relentless delivery, and we have shown that on more then one occasion. But our midfielders really to back themselves a bit more and improve on their basic execution skills. There must be nothing more frustrating then to run and run and run, lay a tackle, gain possession and then pass it off to someone who butchers it, resulting in a turnover.

Accuracy in front of goal is another thing. If half of our points had of been goals, we would have sailed into victory.

Roo - Phenomenal. he was an outstanding leader, and right to the end he never stopped running. His kicking has improved, which is great to see (although missing two crucial shots in the dying minutes was disappointing).

Lenny - Really getting near his best form, which is excellent to see. Was really in the hard contest, and actually provided our forwards with decent delivery.

S. Fisher - Had an ordinary game by his standards, and has had one of his off games. Bad time to have one, but nothing can be done.

Fiora - I think he showed excellent potential, and is starting to realize it. In the first half he was terrific, although went a little flat when the game was there to be won. A good preseason should give him a little more confidence which he needs to solidify his spot in the team.

Goose - Really out of sorts. Didn't even look like getting near Lynch. Lynch played a good game because he had no real threat of an opposition. Goose hasn't really looked the same since his injury. Sure, he has an excellent 60m pass, but that alone doesn't cut it in the big league. Hope he improves.

Ball - Getting better, but was still of little impact on the game as a whole. Good to see him kick a goal, and his hardiness around the contest is never in question, but his fitness is another matter... Hopefully he’ll improve.

Kosi - Had a good crack, got a couple of goals. But still, didn't have a huge influence over the game. He always seems to be on that verge of smashing a game open, but never crosses the threshold.

Gehrig - Towel up no doubt about it. Kicked two goals and did his usual stuff off the ball. But really, how often does a defender block a ball when Gerhig is on the lead. Not defending Gerhig (although he was far from our worst) but Glass played an excellent game, and probably the only defender I would rate a little higher then Maxie.

Attard/Gilbert/ Raph - These youngsters show good potential, especially Gilby (his tackles always seem to stick, the one on Judd was superb). They are young, and make certain errors (their disposal particularly, but that will change with experience). My heart really went out to Attard, a lot of people seem to undermine him, but I think he plays an excellent tagger and shows promise. Same with Raph, minus the tagging.

X/Milne - X played a wonderful first quarter, feeling like he is getting into his groove. One of the few players that dilivered fluently to the forwards. Shame about his injury. Milne played a good role in certain key buildups (ie his passing). His shots for goal (both on the run and set) have let him down though. He seems to have almost lost his innate ability to snap the impossible. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think necessarily Eagles have a better midfield, they just perform their duties at a higher and more efficient level, which makes them look better, and in my mind is the only separating factor. Whether Cousins is a druggie or not, he ripped us a new one and no one was capable of stopping him. In his form, it would be questionable to assume if even Bakes could. Cox is an amazing ruckmen which was the difference tonight.

In short, I think we were simply too late when we decided to click the light on. We wasted our first half trying to find a groove with our new coach, but we have found it. Unfortunately, it was too late, and skill errors and execution errors have cost us. I still think we have an excellent year in 2008 awaiting us, and I do hope for all the best. I have pretty much given up this year, even if by some outside chance we do make the 8, I can’t see us winning it. Either way

Strength Through Loyalty.

Hamill, does not play well with others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Positives: Some of the female WCE fans were nice eye candy.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Positives: Some of the female WCE fans were nice eye candy.
Very, very true.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

And nothing against the saints ladies, you're fantastic too :)