Rod it's time to go.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
"we will go away and have a little think about"

Is this guy for real?

Who does he think he's talking to - 8 year olds?

Stop patronising your membership and grow some farking balls.

FFS, our players must cringe at the thought of having this fool representing their interests.

Embarressed by his comments last night, embarrassed by them today.

Archie's "our advice is we would lose but we're still thinking about it" comment is almost as bad. Why on earth would you say "our advice is we'd lose" when you're still thinking about it.

Ken Sheldon's "should of" comment last night - further embarrassment.

God help us .
This has to be the most stupid post you have ever made. If RB & the board need replacing it will not be for their decision on the baker case.

What childish & stupid thing to say. So is the club supposed to jump up and down scream and carry on like idoits and rush off to the high court, spend millions, lose focus on the things that matter, ie winning games running the club, just so we can say, "we stood up to the afl"??? How rediculous!

You have for a long time looked for ways of getting rid of RB & the board, but using this as a reason is stupid.
I wonder. Earlier in the year the leaders almost had an implosion.

Now they say dont challenge the Baker case legally as we need to focus.

They can focus on the legalities. Let the playing group focus on teh game.

To say we couldn't win this case needs some description to the members on why. This would not be a kangaroo courst anymore but one with clear standards that the AFL may just not understand.

On the game tonight, the team was focussed but not good enough. Why, lack of team depth in midfield and inability to curtail key oppo players.

Additionally we got killed in the ruck, when we one the tap the Eagles often raffled it, particularly in the third quarter. I dont buy the good ruck theory as a real need. Just need more midfield depth.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

In Rod's speech tonight I can't remember the exacts words (I'm more than a little tired) but he strongly defended our representation at the hearing and intimated Baker had incriminated himself under heavy cross examination from the AFL prosecutor or whatever his term is.

Also got legal advice from a QC whose names escapes me who stated a challenge would be futile.

Still we have an array of arm chair expert chest beaters on here who want the president sacked and us to take this to Court and blow hundreds of thousands of the clubs money on an exercise in futility.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:In Rod's speech tonight I can't remember the exacts words (I'm more than a little tired) but he strongly defended our representation at the hearing and intimated Baker had incriminated himself under heavy cross examination from the AFL prosecutor or whatever his term is.

Also got legal advice from a QC whose names escapes me who stated a challenge would be futile.

Still we have an array of arm chair expert chest beaters on here who want the president sacked and us to take this to Court and blow hundreds of thousands of the clubs money on an exercise in futility.
Well said Joff ...but we have REAL Board member on this site...thoes with a "virtual" grasp on how the club should be run...... :roll: :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

No we want him sacked because he's more supportive of the AFL than he is his players and club.

Eddie Maguire was horrified when they played a grab of his speech.

Something along the lines of "anyone would think he agreed with the decision to suspend him".

Of course Rod would defend his incompetence. He's good at it.

Might I add - so too are you JB. :roll:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:No we want him sacked because he's more supportive of the AFL than he is his players and club.

Eddie Maguire was horrified when they played a grab of his speech.

Something along the lines of "anyone would think he agreed with the decision to suspend him".

Of course Rod would defend his incompetence. He's good at it.

yes jeffery...sure...cast your vote and f@rk off....its old... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:No we want him sacked because he's more supportive of the AFL than he is his players and club.
Who is we?

I have no problem in Rod being replaced; I am not a fan of his and never have been. Personally I find his personal behavior with his mistress reprehensible.

The thing I find ridiculous is to call for his head but not being able to provide a willing suitable replacement. Infantile!

Who is your candidate to replace Rod JeffDunne?
JeffDunne wrote: Eddie Maguire was horrified when they played a grab of his speech.

A grab, an isolated component of the speech. I'm sure that gave Maguire the full picture.
JeffDunne wrote: Of course Rod would defend his incompetence. He's good at it.

I don't defend Butterss, just wrote a brief summary as to what was said.
I neither agree or disagree with him.

I do however find it funny he is ridiculed by armchair experts like you JeffDunne for not beating his scrawny chest when he is taking the advice from a QC on the matter. :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I'm one of the 'we' you ask about. I want Rod gone too, although that's nothing to do with the Bakergate debacle.

He's run his race and will be forever tarnished with Grant Thomas. He's been off his game as a President since January 2005 in my eyes.

We need to move on from the RB/GT era and the only way to do that is for RB to go. Membership is dropping. That's a worrying trend in itself. We have the Moorabbin council debacle, for whatever reason. We have staff leaving the club left right and centre. Not directly RB's area, but he overseas it all.

The writing is on the wall.

Who the replacement should be, I'm not privy to those who should know. But a replacement should and NEEDS to be found, in my opinion.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
RooandKosi
Club Player

Rod butters is an embarrasment to this club. The guy has no idea about football just a rich prick who wants to be involved in something (*&^%$#!!

Get Fox back surely his son would want to be president he loves the club and surely his sick of aeroplane bull(*&^%$!!!

He would be perfect!!

Zippy
Club Player

kaos theory wrote: Oh come on JD - We have over the course of the RB regime had the most successful period in the club's history (expect for the brief period in the 60s). We have never had this level of profitabilty or membership numbers. The jury is still out on the coach change, though I think it will be for the better, the signs are there.
The successful period is down the Grant Thomas and the playing group. The membership numbers came from the on-field success. The profitability came from a combination of the on-field success and spending cuts by RB.

Why is that no-one seems upset that, when injuries sabotaged our chances for a flag, we had one of the lowest budgets for player/training services in the AFL?

Anyone can make short-sighted spending cuts which damage a business, and that's what RB did. It's poor management. All he's done is sponge off a good playing group.

In other words, Butterss definitely should go.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Zippy wrote:
kaos theory wrote: Oh come on JD - We have over the course of the RB regime had the most successful period in the club's history (expect for the brief period in the 60s). We have never had this level of profitabilty or membership numbers. The jury is still out on the coach change, though I think it will be for the better, the signs are there.
The successful period is down the Grant Thomas and the playing group. The membership numbers came from the on-field success. The profitability came from a combination of the on-field success and spending cuts by RB.

Why is that no-one seems upset that, when injuries sabotaged our chances for a flag, we had one of the lowest budgets for player/training services in the AFL?

Anyone can make short-sighted spending cuts which damage a business, and that's what RB did. It's poor management. All he's done is sponge off a good playing group.

In other words, Butterss definitely should go.
For who Zippy? So far other than Bedwell I haven't seen anybody put their hand up to take over.

Or are you saying he should just go and we;ll accept anybody who bothers to turn up?

How can anybody make a reasoned decision as to the relative merits of candidates when there are none?

JeffDunne

Joffa Burns wrote:Who is we?
The "array of arm chair expert chest beaters" as you put it.

JB, instead of shooting off (again) in a desperate attempt to take a shot at me, try reading the reply in the context of being a reply to your post. It might save us time and it might make your position look a little less like a personal attack.
I have no problem in Rod being replaced; I am not a fan of his and never have been. Personally I find his personal behaviour with his mistress reprehensible.

So you agree with me but you'll take a shot anyway? Nah, not personal much. Why does my opinion get under your skin so much? Maybe because I call out your fabrications and self inflating anecdotes? It's a laugh whatever it is (at least you've stopped the childish PM's, for that I should be thankful)

Regardless, I couldn't care less who Rod's screwing in his personal life. It's his screwing of the club I have a problem with.

I also find it the height of hypocrisy that you have a go a people that want change because they want something better for this club - "arm chair expert chest beaters" - and then you jump on your moral high horse about his personal life. Like I said I couldn't care less, it's how he represents this club is all I care about when it comes to Rod.
The thing I find ridiculous is to call for his head but not being able to provide a willing suitable replacement. Infantile!
Infantile would be me speculating on who is 'willing'.

TBH, I want Rod to step down because the most suitable of candidates would more than likely be someone not willing to mount a public and possibly damaging coup. A challenge will happen of that I have no doubt, but I fear the people best qualified won't put their hand up in such circumstances. I've said this many times and I am staggered that someone that passes themselves off as part of the Privy Council would think that is infantile.

I do however find it funny he is ridiculed by armchair experts like you JeffDunne for not beating his scrawny chest when he is taking the advice from a QC on the matter. :lol:
What also is infantile in this discussion is your repeated references to "armchair" experts.

Should only people that have held a board position with a football club be qualified to pass an opinion? Unless you want to post your qualifications and prove otherwise, can I ask, why does an arm-chair expert like yourself bother posting any comment on these boards? I'm positive 99% of people that post here are arm-chair experts so why do you even bother reading?

As for me ridiculing him for not "beating his scrawny chest" - actually my criticism here was his patronising tone when explaining the clubs position. Rod has a habit of "beating his scrawny chest" by threatening legal action, only to then give members a patronising explanation when explaining why "we" won't carry through with it. You're happy and are prepared to swallow that?

Again, TBH, I don't actually think that's your position. I believe you'll take any position if it gives an opportunity to make personal shots.

The most staggering revelation this week is that our entire defence of Bakes was left to Ken Sheldon and not who Rod is sleeping with.

That confirms in my mind it's time for Rod to go - not who he is sleeping with. :roll:

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I think Butterss needs to go to.

I thought he made the correct decision in September '06 ...

But his time has come.

He has a number of issues that means that he is no longer a valuable President IMO.

Has not brought a new sponsor to the club for years ...

He has done some absolutely terrific things for St Kilda, and has been an oustanding President.

But IMO it's time for a change ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote: Why does my opinion get under your skin so much?
Talk about inflating one’s own tyre pressure way beyond manufacturers recommended levels but I'm a big fan JeffDunne so I'll keep responding to you :lol:
JeffDunne wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:Who is we?
The "array of arm chair expert chest beaters" as you put it.
Ohh that hit a raw nerve, perhaps the St Kilda FC should ignore the advice of a QC and log onto saintsational and get their advice free from the chest beater himself JeffDunne
JeffDunne wrote: (at least you've stopped the childish PM's, for that I should be thankful)
12 Months on and you are still haunted - GOLD! Post them on here for all of us to share but make sure you don’t edit them to suit your purpose like you did last time you posted them or I’ll post them in full. Please post the one titled “things you can do with $1.5 million dollarsâ€

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Has not brought a new sponsor to the club for years
Vodafone dont count?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Peanut
Club Player

From my understanding Rod is in damage control mode and has been ever since the Bedford move. Now with another ticket claiming to be more relevant to what the club needs to move forward it seems that Rod has been buttering up the journo's big time and inviting anyone and everyone to his President Lunches that may help him in his cause.

He has done some great things for the club. Together with GT they moved quickly and decisively in taking control of the club when we were struggling, which I and many other supporters believed to be what was needed at the time. There were certainly some positive outcomes from their involvement in the past but there were some costly mistakes too. GT has gone but I reckon he did a great job in developing the team but was shafted at the right time. Now Rod too seems to be too comfortable and a bit of one man band. It probably took someone like Rod to do the job of sacking GT but he too has overstayed his time now.

We will probably make a profit of over 1 mil this year, but considering the way things look next year may not be so good. Let’s hope that the new ticket (if there is a good one) have the integrity to move into the boardroom in a way that doesn’t attract the press and cause massive media speculation and damage to the club when and if they emerge. We have had enough negative press in the past 12 months to last us while, including some unprofessional and damaging media encounters by Rod.

I would also like to see GT welcomed back into the fold in some way. He clearly has some excellent skills, experience and a great passion for the club. Of course this must be done in such a way that Ross Lyon and the current staff don’t feel threatened or undermined.

Rod too can be proud of his achievements in helping our club, but when your time is up, your time is up. Move on with dignity Rod and thanks heaps for all you have done.

end of rant.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sensational post Peanut.

Spot on.
bigred wrote:
Has not brought a new sponsor to the club for years
Vodafone dont count?

Butterss didn't have much involvement with that one I hear ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good post Peanut...

However.......the ways people are including GT (who will still want to justify himself) there is no way that GT can be back in an official cpacity in the short term. It is just not preacticable and would be extremely unfair on RL even for example GT was just on the Board or in an admin capacity. In a few year time......but not now.

As to RB.....the only thing we know for sure is that Bedwell would be a disaster.....

Rod we know is ok.....BUt there way bea better option. However there is nota better option yet. At seasons end there way be......but equally the alternate ticket may proove to be unworthy.

We I have someone else to assess...I will and who I think best for the saints will get my vote.

So just as I have supported to replace RL asa better coach and list manger than GT I will vote fora better President if one emerges.

It is a bit like team selection.........is it time for a new recruit to replace an old hand. is the new kid worthy....ora dud.

At present we do not even know who the new kid is.....so in my mind it is way to premature to howl that Rod must go.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Peanut
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:.......the ways people are including GT (who will still want to justify himself) there is no way that GT can be back in an official cpacity in the short term. It is just not preacticable and would be extremely unfair on RL even for example GT was just on the Board or in an admin capacity. In a few year time......but not now.

As to RB.....the only thing we know for sure is that Bedwell would be a disaster.....

Rod we know is ok.....BUt there way bea better option. However there is nota better option yet. At seasons end there way be......but equally the alternate ticket may proove to be unworthy.

We I have someone else to assess...I will and who I think best for the saints will get my vote.

So just as I have supported to replace RL asa better coach and list manger than GT I will vote fora better President if one emerges.

It is a bit like team selection.........is it time for a new recruit to replace an old hand. is the new kid worthy....ora dud.

At present we do not even know who the new kid is.....so in my mind it is way to premature to howl that Rod must go.
I hear ya

I am sorry that I didn't make myself very clear - I meant welcoming GT back into fold in a smaller way . . . perhaps a pre-match breakfast or lunch in his honour, similar to the way RB and GT invited Stan Alves back to the fold with a breakfast in his honour (something that would fit in with his current commitments) . . . and perhaps in the future he may be interested in a specific honorary project or the like.

Yes - and we know what we have with RB, so to move into a new looking board room members would need to be convinced the individuals would form a working group that is stable and clearly demonstarates that they are competant and professional - and definately not undoing the good work already carried out.

As a club we are not in damage control.

Neverethess, it appears that RB is calling all the shots in the boardroom on key issues, i.e. giving the General Manager of Football total control of the trinunal matters who discounted a long time board member that I believe is a Lawyer and experienced in these matters.

JeffDunne

Joffa Burns wrote: Talk about inflating one’s own tyre pressure way beyond manufacturers recommended levels but I'm a big fan JeffDunne so I'll keep responding to you :lol:
Keep posting those "interesting" anecdotes I'll keep reading. Deal?

Joffa Burns wrote:12 Months on and you are still haunted - GOLD! Post them on here for all of us to share but make sure you don’t edit them to suit your purpose like you did last time you posted them or I’ll post them in full. Please post the one titled “things you can do with $1.5 million dollarsâ€