Goodbye Channel Rex???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:hate what ch 7 has done....mongrels of the highest order......but i am happy with the footy on fox and free to air...can see whatever match i want to...and dead easy to record them on the iq......
agree with you comments re fox and free to air and iq...

but the two players in question is big news and even bigger than cousins IMO,

I can somewhat see why they were excited when they found out the two players, it is big news..

I have only mentioned the players to two mods via PM, and that is all I am going to mention it to.

This is the biggest news in football,and one that Network 7 grabbed before really understanding the consequences IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
To the top
SS Life Member

I must admit to my conviction that the attack on the method by which the drug habit came to light is the insignificant issue - and by so far it is not funny.

Simply, these people have a drug habit.

And because they have the profile they have, the very fact that they have a drug habit will become public knowledge, by one means or another.

My view is that these players should be taken into custody and questioned as to the supply chain.

And the supply chain should be chased to the very top - no matter who that is.

We do not get rid of the drug problem in our community by acting as the overly precious AFL players and the overly precious AFL are.

If they do not want the problem don't use drugs.

And if they do use drugs take action against them, including by chasing down every sewer to see who their suppliers are.

These people deserve no sympathy, and the manner in which they are carrying on not only shows them as petulant and self-centred in the extreme but shows that they have absolutely no concern for their fellow travellers in society.

They should be taken to the City Morgue and shown the bodies of those who have over-dosed and killed themselves - because they all got the concoctions from someone also.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

So you'd be comfortable with every Doctor who treats a recovering addict being able to ring the police (and say "Hey come and get him, he'll have names he can spill"??? :roll: ..and then after that.,,if the patient is even vagely well known, ringing Channel 7 and tipping them off..for the lazy 3 grand of course :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:My view is that these players should be taken into custody and questioned as to the supply chain.

And the supply chain should be chased to the very top - no matter who that is.

We do not get rid of the drug problem in our community by acting as the overly precious AFL players and the overly precious AFL are.

If they do not want the problem don't use drugs.

And if they do use drugs take action against them, including by chasing down every sewer to see who their suppliers are.

These people deserve no sympathy, and the manner in which they are carrying on not only shows them as petulant and self-centred in the extreme but shows that they have absolutely no concern for their fellow travellers in society.

They should be taken to the City Morgue and shown the bodies of those who have over-dosed and killed themselves - because they all got the concoctions from someone also.
That's why you don't write policy. Isn't it funny how people are somehow drawn to their calling, and away from positions where they would just f*** things up? :)

Did anyone else see the irony in Channel Seven runnings ads for its nightly news all the way through its broadcast of Anchorman?

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
To the top
SS Life Member

So you would protect one person to allow numerous others to die?

What would be your response if the child to die was your child?

If you went to your child's bedroom to see them laying there with a needle sticking out of them - dead?

I have assisted in fund raising for Odyssey House, and I have been invited there to witness the recovery programmes they offer. I have associated with these people. I have seen from how far back some of them have come in an attempt to "normalise" their lives and have a future. Not every one is a success story. Not every one gets through it to continue to live a life.

The lass who died in the room with Ablett had parents, siblings, grand-parents, relatives and friends. They are all affected, for the remainder of their lives because someone is dead before their time. Why?

This is the reality - and if these AFL footballers and those who seek to protect them no matter the consequence continue with their self indulgence, well, they should get out because I, for one, do not wish to see their type feted in our society.

A disease that can be cured? Yes.

But it goes further than the cure, such as we have apparantly seen with Cousins, because there is a supply chain and these people have used the supply chain to procure the substance.

And that supply chain continues to supply, probably not to Cousins, but to others.

It is ironic that, on TV this evening, we are paying for ads that finish with a body bag being drawn on a lad who, as a child, wanted to play rugby for Australia.

Obviously the message is not getting across.

These people, no matter that they are in treatment (because they have been caught once, twice?) have not got the message despite a long standing community education programme to "Say NO to drugs".

And, no doubt, their parents saying to them what we say to our children, "Say NO to drugs". In the hope that that message sinks in - indelibily.

Everyone deserves a second chance, a chance to redeem themselves but the first step in that second chance is to "come clean", to "fess up" and to have an impact by putting the message out there including by identifying the supply chain - so others in the wider community are safer.

Because it may just be our kids that they save.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:So you would protect one person to allow numerous others to die?

What would be your response if the child to die was your child?

If you went to your child's bedroom to see them laying there with a needle sticking out of them - dead?

I have assisted in fund raising for Odyssey House, and I have been invited there to witness the recovery programmes they offer. I have associated with these people. I have seen from how far back some of them have come in an attempt to "normalise" their lives and have a future. Not every one is a success story. Not every one gets through it to continue to live a life.

The lass who died in the room with Ablett had parents, siblings, grand-parents, relatives and friends. They are all affected, for the remainder of their lives because someone is dead before their time. Why?

This is the reality - and if these AFL footballers and those who seek to protect them no matter the consequence continue with their self indulgence, well, they should get out because I, for one, do not wish to see their type feted in our society.

A disease that can be cured? Yes.

But it goes further than the cure, such as we have apparantly seen with Cousins, because there is a supply chain and these people have used the supply chain to procure the substance.

And that supply chain continues to supply, probably not to Cousins, but to others.

It is ironic that, on TV this evening, we are paying for ads that finish with a body bag being drawn on a lad who, as a child, wanted to play rugby for Australia.

Obviously the message is not getting across.

These people, no matter that they are in treatment (because they have been caught once, twice?) have not got the message despite a long standing community education programme to "Say NO to drugs".

And, no doubt, their parents saying to them what we say to our children, "Say NO to drugs". In the hope that that message sinks in - indelibily.

Everyone deserves a second chance, a chance to redeem themselves but the first step in that second chance is to "come clean", to "fess up" and to have an impact by putting the message out there including by identifying the supply chain - so others in the wider community are safer.

Because it may just be our kids that they save.
For more information call 1800 250 015 or visit http://www.australia.gov.au/drugs

Authorised by the Australia Government, Capital Hill, Canberra, ACT.
Written by The Hon Gary Nairn MP, Special Minister of State.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
To the top
SS Life Member

If you want a discussion on Howard's effect on the community we live in, stand by.

Because it will be comprehensive and it will debunk comprehensively the assertions of a well run economy.

That is the poiltics.

Spiralling Foreign debt of $540 BILLION, 9% of the workforce no longer looking for work, mis-representation of interest rates which were always going to increase substantially from the levels they were at during the global recession etc. etc. etc.

Drugs in the community is entirely different - and should transcend petty party politics.

So what about Mr. Johns, now with a conviction in the UK for possessing one ectasy tablet?

Football and footballers do not rate when it comes to this issue.

Everyone is in this fight.

Look at the damage this epidemic is doing to our society - and the anti social acts committed by those affected.

There can be no excuse.

Given the smokescreens of some, exactly who does sit on top of these drug distribution chains?

Who is being protected?

And plebs march to the drum beat being fed to them by who?

And why?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Nice handball by the AFL. Put all the pressure on chanel 7 for breaking the story and still refuse to address what is obviously a problem. Dale Lewis quoted 75% of players as having tried drugs, well I am tipping it is much higher than that, oh yeah what ever became of Dale.

Lets face it there is a problem and the AFL keep on ignoring it.

MMM interviewed James Freud (an old rock singer for you young people from the band the models) this morning. He had a bad drug problem and he still takes each day as it comes. He couldnt understand why Cousins wasnt stood out of the sport as he said that on coke you could run all day. He kept saying Drugs are bad, and I guess he would know!

The AFL need to do something rather than diflecting the blame all the time, FFS they have enough money to set up some sort of counceling for players.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Drugs are good and more people should take them.

Including footballers and bloggers on football sites.

Come to think of it, many of the bloggers on the site sound like they are already on the hooch or go :roll:

Fair dinkum, eductaion is the answer not public humiliation and condemnation through (alleged) stolen private medical records :roll:

Anyway as they say in Trainspotting, everyone tells you how bad drugs are for you, but nobody ever tells you how good they make you feel.

Pious tits - the lot of you :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7 cared about one thing when they bought those records...Channel 7

Trust me, if the names listed on that sheet of paper were Home and Away cast members, they'd have put it in the shredder and be screaming "Doctor-patient confidentiality" from the rooftops.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to be tied to a chair, eyes propped open with matchsticks, and be made to watch every episode of "Frontline" until they understand how commercial TV news and current affairs works.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Nice handball by the AFL. Put all the pressure on chanel 7 for breaking the story and still refuse to address what is obviously a problem. Dale Lewis quoted 75% of players as having tried drugs, well I am tipping it is much higher than that, oh yeah what ever became of Dale.

Lets face it there is a problem and the AFL keep on ignoring it.

MMM interviewed James Freud (an old rock singer for you young people from the band the models) this morning. He had a bad drug problem and he still takes each day as it comes. He couldnt understand why Cousins wasnt stood out of the sport as he said that on coke you could run all day. He kept saying Drugs are bad, and I guess he would know!

The AFL need to do something rather than diflecting the blame all the time, FFS they have enough money to set up some sort of counceling for players.
How can you say it is higher than 75%. Where is your proof. The testing shows less than 3%. That probably is accurate either but 75%. Come off it.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I didnt say 75 % Dale Lewis Did. I personally think it is higher for players who have tried drugs (not using all the time). My point is that the AFL are doing nothing to educate or support players. Every time it raises its ugly head, which has been alot this year, they deflect the issue.

If the players assoc were fair dinkum they would be demanding this for their players instead of boycotting chanel 7. Head in the sand.

Brewer
Club Player

To The Top, you seem to be overlooking one very important point.

There is a REASON that in civilised countries, people are entitled to medical confidentiality.

It is so that they can go and seek help when they need it, without fear of getting marched away and locked up. Your little nazi-esque system sounds all very 'affirmative action' in principle, but the end result would simply be more and more people dying in the gutter and more and more medical staff wearing government uniforms.

Doctor-patient confidentiality is a cornerstone of civilisation and not negotiable for a TV 'scoop'.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Brewer
Club Player

And to the rest of you who say the AFL are doing nothing about drugs, did it occur to you that perhaps the players concerned had been detected by the AFL tests, and were at the clinic receiving the appropriate help to try and get them back on the right path? For all we know the AFL's policy is working like a dream except for a few lowlife journalists and kneejerkers.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:I didnt say 75 % Dale Lewis Did. I personally think it is higher for players who have tried drugs (not using all the time). My point is that the AFL are doing nothing to educate or support players. Every time it raises its ugly head, which has been alot this year, they deflect the issue.

If the players assoc were fair dinkum they would be demanding this for their players instead of boycotting chanel 7. Head in the sand.
I actually said that had mentioned it is higher than 75% and that you have no proof at all of that. Also the AFLPA and the AFL spend heaps on education of drugs and support. Finally the AFL would know who the players names are as they have tested positive and are receiving medical help. So give us proof it is more 75% instead of just making outlandish comments.

The Peanut
Club Player

Of course the irony of this whole Channel 7 thing is that they tell us lies all of the time and in one of the few instances that they tell the truth - we go and crucify them for doing so.

Still don't agree with what they did though.

To the top
SS Life Member

Not often I agree with Malthouse but, in this instance, I do agree with him in that what the precious AFL and its Players Association are throwing out is a camouflage instead of dealing with the big issue - substance abuse.

And Gale says "This is so not the issue" and then concedes that he knows players take drugs.

Then he resorts to the camouflage.

With Johns now "fessing up", including speaking to the fact that he is ashamed of his career, how long before AFL players similarly "fess up"?

Because we now know from Gale that they are out there.

Gale's concession brings the AFL into dis-repute, a dis-repute it has well and truly earned.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:And to the rest of you who say the AFL are doing nothing about drugs, did it occur to you that perhaps the players concerned had been detected by the AFL tests, and were at the clinic receiving the appropriate help to try and get them back on the right path? For all we know the AFL's policy is working like a dream except for a few lowlife journalists and kneejerkers.
Sorry Brewer, we cannot know this as fact as part of the AFL Drug Rules is that if you do have a positive test, YOU MUST ATTEND REHAB COUNSELLING.

What we do know is that these players were stupid enough to take drugs and get caught by a drug testing programme that didn't detect a player so severely addicted by substance use he required a 4 week incarceration in a rehab clinic.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Not often I agree with Malthouse but, in this instance, I do agree with him in that what the precious AFL and its Players Association are throwing out is a camouflage instead of dealing with the big issue - substance abuse.

And Gale says "This is so not the issue" and then concedes that he knows players take drugs.

With Johns now "fessing up", including speaking to the fact that he is ashamed of his career, how long before AFL players similarly "fess up"?

Gale's concession brings the AFL into dis-repute, a dis-repute it has well and truly earned.

Yep couldnt agree more. Of course chanel 7 have done the wrong thing, you cant look at other peoples medical records. But the players assoc are ignoring the real problem. As I wrote yesterday, if they were fair dinkum about player welfare they would be pushing the AFL to devise a policy to help the players who develop problems.

The AFL missed a chance with Ben Cousins. They really could have learned from it and Ben himself could have helped by coming out and giving an account of what happened to him, and condemning drugs as nearly ending his career.

Instead Ben got shipped overseas and the AFL washed their hands of it.
3 months later Ben comes back a hero and has never really acknowledged that he did the wrong thing. He could have done a lot of good by coming out and denouncing drugs, but he didnt.

Obviously drugs has become a problem with players (easier to pop a pill while you are out than to be seen drinking alcohol) and the AFL needs to do something about it. Of course drugs are everywhere and the AFL cant fix society's problems, but they can start in their own back yard.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
To the top wrote:Not often I agree with Malthouse but, in this instance, I do agree with him in that what the precious AFL and its Players Association are throwing out is a camouflage instead of dealing with the big issue - substance abuse.

Yep couldnt agree more. Of course chanel 7 have done the wrong thing, you cant look at other peoples medical records. But the players assoc are ignoring the real problem. As I wrote yesterday, if they were fair dinkum about player welfare they would be pushing the AFL to devise a policy to help the players who develop problems.

The AFL missed a chance with Ben Cousins. They really could have learned from it and Ben himself could have helped by coming out and giving an account of what happened to him, and condemning drugs as nearly ending his career.

3 months later Ben comes back a hero and has never really acknowledged that he did the wrong thing. He could have done a lot of good by coming out and denouncing drugs, but he didnt.

Obviously drugs has become a problem with players (easier to pop a pill while you are out than to be seen drinking alcohol) and the AFL needs to do something about it. Of course drugs are everywhere and the AFL cant fix society's problems, but they can start in their own back yard.
And can please explain how they can fix the problem because I for one would love to know.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:

And can please explain how they can fix the problem because I for one would love to know.

Before you can fix a problem, you have to first acknowledge you have one.

To this point in time all we hear from officialdom and the players association is that the there is no problem - 'look at the low number of positive tests'.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps with all the money they have, they could hire their own therapists, councelors etc. Thus players wouldnt have to attend clinics where there info can be stolen, found in gutters etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:

Before you can fix a problem, you have to first acknowledge you have one.

To this point in time all we hear from officialdom and the players association is that the there is no problem - 'look at the low number of positive tests'.
Well I heard Brendan Gale say players are taking drugs just not many so IMO he has admitted there is drug taking. Know how do we fix it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IIRC what he actually said was that there were 26 positive tests over the last 2 years so there isn't a problem.

I'm not an expert in Drug Rehabilitation.

What I said in another thread was that I agree in principal with the 3-strike education/rehabilitation policy, with a few changes relating mainly to Clubs knowledge of positive test results.

What I am against is the farcical testing regime which allows some players to escape a test for years.

If the AFL were really interested in rehabilitating the players they would have a serious testing regime and try to catch as many drug taking players as possible instead of trying not to catch them.