Paul hasleby

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

busso mick
Club Player

I live in the west Armoo and get to see Headland quite a bit, and believe me he isn't the big tough guy you think he is. He has played some good games this year, the one after he was acquitted of snotting Selwood he dominated against Melbourne.

In a lot of games he just floats in and out of the play, in some games you don't even see him, consistency is not his forte. Against the good teams he rarely rates a mention (like some of our blokes against the top sides). I know quite a few of Freo fans who would love to offload him, lets hope it isn't to us.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

some forumites are very keen on just handing over picks for supposedly talented players coming from a poor culture of crapola such as freo

im glad they are not leading our club...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:some forumites are very keen on just handing over picks for supposedly talented players coming from a poor culture of crapola such as freo

Look at your avatar mate.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:some forumites are very keen on just handing over picks for supposedly talented players coming from a poor culture of crapola such as freo

LOL owned :lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

haselby...yes (1st round draft pick)
hille ..ess yes (2nd & 3rd picks)

headcase as busso mick said..biggest downhill skier since bloody eddy the eagle...never in a million yrs

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the only thing i would consider from freo would be brett peek , steven dodd and crowley the rest can stay in purple thanx
headcase would prob look good with dal lenny and ball around him but hes a nuff nuff player like the seagull farmer takes his opertunity then does nothing
as for haselby hes too fat too slow and soft as butter thats been in the microwave unless we could cause an unreal trade for brooks not worth giving up picks over

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
congorozides
Club Player

id take Haselby in a heart-beat. id take sampi too (ONLY if he is committed to playing afl). Just keep them off the booze and they are guns

We still need some midfield pace though.

congorozides
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the only thing i would consider from freo would be brett peek , steven dodd and crowley the rest can stay in purple thanx
headcase would prob look good with dal lenny and ball around him but hes a nuff nuff player like the seagull farmer takes his opertunity then does nothing
as for haselby hes too fat too slow and soft as butter thats been in the microwave unless we could cause an unreal trade for brooks not worth giving up picks over
you wouldnt take PAV? you have to be kidding me.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
n1ck wrote:

i believe i have been beaten...

i still have faith gardiner is going to pull through

to make my point clearer is that haselby is a poor man's lenny hayes

a very, very poor man's lenny

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
n1ck wrote:

i believe i have been beaten...

i still have faith gardiner is going to pull through

to make my point clearer is that haselby is a poor man's lenny hayes

a very, very poor man's lenny
I think in fairness we all hope gardiner pulls through.

I'm not holding my breadth, but as a saints fan, I would love to see gardiner come back and tear a hole through opposition midfields and ruckman (although with our luck even if he did come back and hold all before him, he will break his <insert random bone> just before the prelim or something :roll: )

as for fattleby, tremendous amount of talent, I think hasn't come on given his junior form (not the only one) but superb player for skills. Slot him in with lenny, dal, ball, etc and he will look like a superstar, at the moment a bit of a lone hand in a moody hit and miss freo team.

is he worth a first round pick? IMO mebbe, depending on what juniors are available in the draft, I wouldn't be crying if we got him at 200k or 250k and our first round pick.

probably not as good as lenny but quite close to dal santo from the little I've seen of him.

SHUT UP KRIME!
congorozides
Club Player

Well a fat lot of good we do with our pics. Mcqualtar Watts and Brooks - all top 10's. Birss is no good - too slow. McGough - too slow. Clarke - too old. Fiora - too stupid.
Not sure why you have so much faith in the wise men running the club now?
Hasleby is a fatty but he would still be in Saints top 12 players. Just keep him out of the Pub. Very good football player.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I like PH.

Knows how to get the ball, and can deliver well.

Isnt overly quick, and from reports is carrying a few kilos more than what is ideal.

Footy smarts and good skills (and improvements in firtness) are the things to look for in this day and age.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:

Well a fat lot of good we do with our pics. Mcqualtar Watts and Brooks - all top 10's. Birss is no good - too slow. McGough - too slow. Clarke - too old. Fiora - too stupid.
Hasleby is a fatty but he would still be in Saints top 12 players. Just keep him out of the Pub. Very good football player.
every club has tales of muck up's during trade and draft periods...

we have hit with some superb talents and missed with some duds over the past 5-7 years but that is the cliched nature of the beast

busso mick
Club Player

Haselby is the 4th highest ranked Docker in Champion Data this year with 1743 points, behind Pavlich, Bell and Josh Carr. Comparitively he would be ranked 6th in the Saints list behind Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Montagna, Sam Fisher and Hayes.

He can get the footy and uses it well, only question is his fitness. A second round pick plus a player would be good value, giving up a first round pick when there are some very handy young midfielders on offer is a bad idea IMO.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the only thing i would consider from freo would be brett peek , steven dodd and crowley the rest can stay in purple thanx
pavlova is signed for 3 years whats the point on talking bout players that aint going anywhere ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
congorozides wrote:

every club has tales of muck up's during trade and draft periods...

we have hit with some superb talents and missed with some duds over the past 5-7 years but that is the cliched nature of the beast
Birss, is not no good, he is ordinary, when we play well, he comes into the game, he is never going to be a gun, but he will have his good games, he is support crew, IMO, too many expectations on him. probably marginally better than mcgough, faster than mcgough, not as hard in the clinches as mcgough, and better disposal. Birss needs the A team firing to be effective.

Fiora is speed, he is so far better than CJ its not funny. Fiora has brain fades, but he is definately a 6/10 or 7/10 but again needs the A team firing, a solid replacement for frankie peckett IMO.

dock clarke - gone waste of a positiion on our list in 07 so far.

Watts - 197 to 199 cm KPP? will take a bit of time.

Brooks? should have been in the seniors ahead of rix and doc if you believe casey's coach he is doing well in teh ruck.

McQualter? outstanding junior u16 and u18 state captain...very good pedigree, I dont think every junior coach would have got it that far wrong?'

as for misses, heck even the best coaches and recruiters have misses or make mistakes...

when we got brooks from port, the forums were full of how we ripped them off and wtf was port doing giving away kids like that?

SHUT UP KRIME!
congorozides
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
congorozides wrote:
pavlova is signed for 3 years whats the point on talking bout players that aint going anywhere ??
Yep true. I realise you are only talking about gettable players. No point talking in fantasy land.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:id take Haselby in a heart-beat. id take sampi too (ONLY if he is committed to playing afl). Just keep them off the booze and they are guns

We still need some midfield pace though.
sampi is also too fat toos slow gets homesick for broome in perth how do you thingk hes gunna go in melb ??
sampi is a waste of talent at best he will be a good WAFL players at best
there is question marks over his mental health as well i wouldnt even humour the idea of looking at him as a pick up .
our best option is to keep our picks and roll the dice and see what we pick up not in recycles

congorozides
Club Player

All fair points Dan Warna.

At leat Birss has ok disposal! McGough turned it opver 99% of the time making his hard efforts worthless unfortunately.
I know Mcqualtar has a good pedigree but some kids are stars as juniors and cant make the step up to seniors. Sometimes kids grow bigger early etc. And the game of AFL is now a lot quicker than even 3 years ago.

But id take PH in a heartbeat.

Gardner is the key for next year. IF he plays 18 games at 90% of his potential look out.

Gardner and Kosi combo would be awesome!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

busso mick wrote:He can get the footy and uses it well, only question is his fitness. A second round pick plus a player would be good value, giving up a first round pick when there are some very handy young midfielders on offer is a bad idea IMO.
Passing on Hasleby for a junior would be seriously foolish. The odds of a kid coming in here and ever having the kind of impact that Hasleby could are slim to none. Hasleby could play 5-8 years here, 100-150 games. His disposal is excellent, his stoppage work is excellent. He would make us instantly better the moment he stepped on the field.

I don't think he's going anywhere though. As much as I'd love to have him, Freo need him. The only way he leaves there is if he's had enough of Freo, in which case there'll be 15 teams putting in a call for his services. I'd bet on one of the bottom four sides geting him, because they need him more and have more to give up.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
busso mick wrote:He can get the footy and uses it well, only question is his fitness. A second round pick plus a player would be good value, giving up a first round pick when there are some very handy young midfielders on offer is a bad idea IMO.
Passing on Hasleby for a junior would be seriously foolish. The odds of a kid coming in here and ever having the kind of impact that Hasleby could are slim to none. Hasleby could play 5-8 years here, 100-150 games. His disposal is excellent, his stoppage work is excellent. He would make us instantly better the moment he stepped on the field.

I don't think he's going anywhere though. As much as I'd love to have him, Freo need him. The only way he leaves there is if he's had enough of Freo, in which case there'll be 15 teams putting in a call for his services. I'd bet on one of the bottom four sides geting him, because they need him more and have more to give up.
also a die hard eagles fan as a kid (was dissapointed he was staying in perth but playing for the dockers when he got drafted) so WC would be his prefered home and with WC history of screwing Freo over it might just happen

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The best similarity I can conjure to Haselby is Bartel.
Haselby was in front of Bartel up until this year.

He is a ball magnet but moves like a Glacier.

Any guy who can get the ball and use it well is worth having but he'd be better at a team with plenty of runners as he is not a link man.

I'd take him for a player but they'd want too much.

Never, never, never trade your first round picks and if you consider it remember the names Watts and Brooks!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Freo won't trade him to the Eagles, and if he tries to go via the PSD, there'll be a bunch of teams who will grab him before West Coast even has a chance.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Forget Hasleby, we need youth & speed.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
congorozides
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:Forget Hasleby, we need youth & speed.
yep. well said. probably spot on.
we ned good players and less hacks. that should be the motto for 08

Saints - No Hacks 08

(that would mean farewelling about 20% of our list)