Darren Jolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Having said that Brooks will have to go this year. Not rated in RL opinion obviously.
nor GTs as he never got a game then either
me thinks hes just not good not that hes out of favour

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Having said that Brooks will have to go this year. Not rated in RL opinion obviously.
Bingo.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bingo.
double-bingo

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Jolly would be very good. Having Ross hopefully would work in our favour as well.

Carpe Diem
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Sydney gave up a first round pick for Jolly, and he's done nothing but improve since they got him. I can't see them accepting anything less than a first round pick for him. I'd love to have him here, but we might be better off with the pick. Jolly wouldn't be a bargain.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Mr.Jolly is no dud!

Kept Spider from the No.1 ruck spot, is durable and a good footballer (not great) but a good quality AFL player.

How many of our rucks are good quality durable AFL Footballers?

To compare him to Rix is a joke, Rix will not be a premiership player whilst his date points to the ground (and i like the endevour the big guy shows).

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Jolly is an excellent tap ruckman, but if he has to share a fair bit of the rucking with Kosi/Gardiner then there really isn't any point in getting him. If you leave him as your number one ruckman for 80% of the game he will end up with 10 disposals and 28 hitouts. If he's just a backup ruckman then he just wouldn't contribute enough to warrant selection.

Sydney would be desperate to keep him anyway. Everitt is struggling and will be 34 next year while their only other mature ruckman (Doyle) is more injury-prone than Kosi.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:To compare him to Rix is a joke, Rix will not be a premiership player whilst his date points to the ground (and i like the endevour the big guy shows).
They are similar in style, but Jolly is just far better at everything. They're both big, lumbering ruckmen with good endurance who don't get a lot of the ball. However Jolly is bigger, more skilled, has slightly better endurance and gets a bit more of the ball.

Rix is the VFL version of Jolly.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

MSG, what is the chance of Gardiner fronting up and playing in the ruck?

As much chance as Sammy returning and having an impact IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:MSG, what is the chance of Gardiner fronting up and playing in the ruck?
Gardiner had a problem with one foot. He got it fixed. The other foot then started giving him problems. He got it fixed.

Hopefully that is the end of his foot problems and his knees are reported to be fine.

I have no great in-depth knowledge of his injuries, but it certainly sounds more promising than Hamill, who just breaks down with the same injury every time he tries to get out of bed. Gardiner was fit to play for most of last year, but was suspended by the club.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

He is 26 years old and would be 27 next year ...

Basically he's an improved version of Trent Knobel IMO.

Can win a lot of hitouts and kick the odd goal, but struggles after that.

As mad saint guy said, do we really need a player like that?

I don't get this obsession with ruckman .... there is no way having Jolly would have made any difference to St Kilda's ladder position in 2007 .... so why get him?

IMO ruckman need to be able to win the footy around the ground and play as an effective midfielder/KPP.

Was Sydney's #1 ruckman in 2006, and averaged 8 disposals, 2 marks, 3 handballs, 24 hitouts and kicked 2 goals for the season. That was off about 70% gametime.

If Rix had that sort of gametime, he would average the same numbers.

Jolly is an average footballer, and unless we could do a straight swap for Barry Brooks and a fourth round pick, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot barge pole.

Sure, he might knock the ball to your midfielders a couple of times, but is that really going to advantage the St Kilda football club a lot?

I'd rather develop VanRheenen or our own young ruckman.

Anyway, Sydney won't part with him.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote: I'd rather develop VanRheenen or our own young ruckman.
Agree on this, recruiting more 23+ y.o. ruckmen will stifle the growth and development of our own ruck youth.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Hopefully that is the end of [Gardiner's] foot problems and his knees are reported to be fine.
I'm not comfortable with counting on a 28-year old ruckman with knee and foot problems to come back and have any kind of an impact. Even when he was healthy and available, West Coast were picking Seaby over him. Personally, I think we should delist him. I don't know why on earth you would promise him that you wouldn't delist him. He came here with questions on his mind and body, and while he hasn't got into any trouble, his body hasn't held up.

We should be looking for ruck help in trade week and at the draft. None of Brooks, Rix and van Rheenen have done anything to suggest they're our future in the ruck. Kosi's only a part time ruckman. Gardiner and Clarke don't have many games left in them, if any.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

Gardiner will be lucky to play 18 minutes football in 2008 based on his last few years,you cant build your ruck strength around someone who hardly ever plays.

Maybe this draft period Ross will re recruit Luke Penny to play at full back,
as soon as his knees are better......

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Look...I am not saying to go after Jolly......but it seems to me that there are some wishful to silly statements being made.

Jolly is a good ruckman. Full stop.

All this talk about him not winning enough possessions is basically rubbish....be great yes if he got more....but it is not that unusual that he does not.

Now sure we would all love Dean Cox.....but he is the competitions best...and ruckmen such as him are simply not that common.

This is what you can lust after...but to expect as minimum is being somewhat unrealistic.

Back to Jolly lets compare him to one of the AFL's best ruckman..

Brendon Lade Name Darren Jolly
Port Adelaide Power Team Sydney Swans
191 Career Games 118
South Adelaide Origin North Ballarat
July 10, 1976 Date of Birth November 6, 1981
31yr 1mth Age 25yr 9mth
199cm Height 200cm
101kg Weight 105kg
21 2007 Games 21
8.1 Kicks Per Game 7.1
4.1 Handballs Per Game 2.9
12.2 Disposals Per Game 10.0
5.1 Marks Per Game 4.3
0.7 Goals Per Game 0.8
0.2 Behinds Per Game 0.3
1.3 Tackles Per Game 2.1
21.1 Hitouts Per Game 20.2
1.0 Frees For Per Game 1.3
1.4 Frees Against Per Game 1.5

As you can see he stacks up pretty well. Adding to this just watch Jolly play...he is capable.

Now another assertion made by some....that having a good ruckmen is not that important. Well just have a look at the last dozen or so premiership teams and ask yourself how many of them did not have at least one good ruckmen??

Many had two.

Back in 97....ask yourself what difference having one of Everitt or Vidovic would have made....let alone both. If they had played we would have had another piece of silverware in the cupboard.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
How many times do we have to say this kiddies before you get it.

RL rates brooks but as a forward. He said it himself that he is pleased that both he and watts were playing well and kicking bags but they are behind a forward line of gehrig, roo and kosi.

Just keep going with the crusade plugger and st trav :roll:

On jolly, he sets up a lot of goals from his tapping which would be helpful. I think we could afford to have
Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

Mainly cause if gards and jolly stand up kosi goes forward and brooks gives us key forward and ruck back up. With blake for emergency. 2 developing ruckman.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

RL rates brooks but as a forward. He said it himself that he is pleased that both he and watts were playing well and kicking bags but they are behind a forward line of gehrig, roo and kosi.

On jolly, he sets up a lot of goals from his tapping which would be helpful. I think we could afford to have
Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

Mainly cause if gards and jolly stand up kosi goes forward and brooks gives us key forward and ruck back up. With blake for emergency. 2 developing ruckman.
This topic is about ruckman. How does he rate Brooks as a ruckman? He doesnt. And are you sure he rates Brooks as a forward. He has just said he is behind other players. Not sure that is rating him.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

This topic is about ruckman. How does he rate Brooks as a ruckman? He doesnt. And are you sure he rates Brooks as a forward. He has just said he is behind other players. Not sure that is rating him.
He was giving a reason for not picking him, haven't heard him say that he does not rate him. Your the one that originally said "brooks will have to go this year".

Fine keep rix and let him do bugger all down at casey for the whole season or keep a still young key position forward who has the ability to ruck for periods of time. Sounds a little more flexible.

But sheesh what am I thinking, you know what the coach is thinking :roll:

(as everton says, just making an observation :P )

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

He was giving a reason for not picking him, haven't heard him say that he does not rate him. Your the one that originally said "brooks will have to go this year".

Fine keep rix and let him do bugger all down at casey for the whole season or keep a still young key position forward who has the ability to ruck for periods of time. Sounds a little more flexible.

Thats fine everyone can have an opinion mine is 8 games 6 years.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

I do remember that there was a player once who actually had more years on a list then games..... can't remember who

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

I do remember that there was a player once who actually had more years on a list then games..... can't remember who
Wasnt it Harvs 358 games 360 years.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Gards
Jolly
Kosi
Brooks
VR
+ rookie/draft pick

Wasnt it Harvs 358 games 360 years.
cute, do you have a horrible feeling that tomorrow might be bangers last game??

I remember feeling the same thing when the siren went against melbourne last year.... :cry:

FQF
In richo I trust