Gehrig Retired

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Shattered that G has called it a day, but happy for him to bow out on top. He has always been his own man, and once again has put the club before himself.

Upon thinking about it, he really is/was my favourite player in recent times. As much as we all love Harvs, G just brought a smile to my face more often than not. And above all, he is a serious GUN.. All things considered, he is a Saints great.

That blind turn he did on the run in the centre square a few weeks ago was indicative of the way he played. Unpredictable and brilliant. So many great memories will remain with me forever..

Thanks Fraser for the past 7 years. All the best in your future endevours. An example of a champion bloke...

HarveysDeciple

Has had an outstanding career.
One just needs to look at his versatility.

Started off at the eagles as a wingman. was a fast agile long kicking player who then went to half forward and was All Australian in 97.

then came to St.Kilda, baulked up and played in defence, finishing second in a best and a fairest.
he then went forward, won two colemans, led our goalkicking 5 times and was again All Australian.
that is remarkable.
Has been in the club's leadership group as well.

Fraser you have been a wonderful player for st.kilda, you have given your all through some painful injuries and I thank you immensely.

Footy wont quite be the same without one of its true characters.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

To go out kicking a goal after the siren was a bit of a fairytale ending for the big rig. It was clear, for almost the first time ever, he was emotionally moved when leaving the ground. A true Saint and his presence will be sincerely missed.

Good luck Fraser in your endeavours, and thanks for the countless memories!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Rooy_coin
Club Player

im going to miss the big fella... had a big personalty and a very funny bloke to watch... fare well g-train :cry: :cry: :cry:

CARN THE SAINTERS!!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

love the bloke and the way he went about it, was his own person.

I still just find it hard to see him as a winger.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

he said on the abc after the game that the girl who got the jumper had held up a banner for him for years

I think it is one of the best things I have seen on afl ground, and summed him up perfectly

Will miss his unique brilliance, i am sure he played many many games with painkillers, stretching back to those days when he could hardly kick the ball , through to his hand issues

am sure he made every saint walk taller on the field

good luck to the big man

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:Image
Anyone know if the young girl in the crowd is a relation to Frase, a family friend or just a random fan?

No matter who she is, it was a pretty sweet gesture by the big guy.
It was the kinda thing a sporting legend like Babe Ruth would have done.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

][/quote]

Anyone know if the young girl in the crowd is a relation to Frase, a family friend or just a random fan?

It was the kinda thing a sporting legend like Babe Ruth would have done.[/quote]

see above, a random but dedicated #9 fan

golden hawk
Club Player

heard him speak of the little girl after the game said she had a banner that must have supported him for a few years and thought it was a nice geasture to give it to her as she will get more use out of iit then him.

now i did try to quietly tell you guys he would retire [i had heard that there was a very very good chance of it can not tell source so don't ask] i know other things but will not tell cause i know that he is a quiet man who likes his privacey

well done Fraser on a wonderful career i will alway remember the way you played and the chat we had even though it was a small chat good luck for the future and all it entales

lovin_dal_santo
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
Brewer wrote:Image

It was the kinda thing a sporting legend like Babe Ruth would have done.
family is involved in the cheersquad i believe,
the "fraser you're my hero" banner is hers.
beautiful gesture from fraser :]

Robert Harvey
What else do we need?
golden hawk
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:he said on the abc after the game that the girl who got the jumper had held up a banner for him for years

I think it is one of the best things I have seen on afl ground, and summed him up perfectly

Will miss his unique brilliance, i am sure he played many many games with painkillers, stretching back to those days when he could hardly kick the ball , through to his hand issues

am sure he made every saint walk taller on the field

good luck to the big man
Will agree 100% good on him

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

good one GH.

I've been told stuff in PST, and outside this forum, and yes its good to keep the privacy when it is appropriate to do so.

taht doesn't mean we wont attack your club on the netwires :twisted:

sadly I have no 'insider' friends at your club so I dont get any good gossip :(

i guess with football as big as it is, everyone knows someone who knows 'da truth'

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:

It was the kinda thing a sporting legend like Babe Ruth would have done
From the Herald Sun

Gehrig, who kicked five farewell goals yesterday, presented his match jumper to seven-year-old Ryley Woods, whose family has been among his biggest supporters in his 140 games with the Saints.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 03 Sep 2007 6:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
golden hawk
Club Player

yes we are going through some tough times with out saying too much :cry:

saint tas

Fraser, thank you

Fantastic career from a real individual (it was great to see a Fraser-managed farewell rather than a PR machine good-bye).

You will be remembered as one of the great characters of this club as well as a magnificent player.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

savatage
SS Life Member

Fraser:

A few words on an internet forum certainly can't describe what you mean to me & the supporters of the St.Kilda football club.

You've been an absolute star, an individual & a guy who we've relied upon to win us games year after year.

You've also kept us entertained throughout the journey with your various hairstyles & unique antics on the field.

You will be missed like you wouldn't believe. All the best with your life post football & I hope to meet you at a Saints game in future so I can personally thank you from the bottom of my heart.

F**king legend!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:30am, edited 1 time in total.

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

I was lucky enough to meet Fraser at an after match function down here, I think it was in 2003. There were rumours at the time that he was heading to Geelong. I asked him if the rumours were true & he said that our players were a great bunch of blokes, things were looking good & that there was no way that he was leaving.

All the best in your future big guy.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

A friend just sent this on...

FRASER GEHRIG FORMALLY ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

St Kilda Football Club today announced that Fraser Gehrig has formally announced his retirement.

The 32-year old was sidelined for most of 2008 with a debilitating hand injury and has decided to call it a day after 260 AFL games and 549 goals in 14 seasons of elite football.

Gehrig said, “I’d like to thank the St Kilda Football Club for its support throughout my eight years at the Club and in particular, the passionate and loyal fans that made my journey so memorable. It’s been an honour to represent the Saints for so long and the Club will always hold a special place in my heart.â€

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

that would make it the worst-kept secret in football. wasn't the formal announcement weeks ago?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Hi

Two comments:

1. The girl is the daughter of one of the posters on here. I'm guessing she either didn't see this question, or chose not to answer... so I'll leave it like that too. But she was one of the many people who were nice to me when I was coming to Melbourne... so I can only say thanks and good luck.

2. The club officially announced it during the last final we played. I remember typing it into the match day thread, as it was said on SEN at the time as an official announcement.

If I may... speaking of young children who are Saints fans... I was in the cheersquad area at that game, and there was a child who was about 3 or 4... and when the "we want another one, just like the other one" chant came up, this child would turn around to his Mum and join in with the 'whoo, whoo" chant. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen. The young child - I think - couldn't join in with the other chants... they were a bit too much... but that little piece of the action was SO filled with fun. It made me think of how going to the football can offer so much to so many different people... and that little part of the game seemed to make that kids day. For me, it was delightful.

Never had any kids of my own, but I just love seeing the kids enjoy the footy.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

probably my favourite player in the modern era (since winmar)

great character of the game. one of the few non robots with personality. love it when he took a mark and stopped dead on the spot and let the back jump into him and bounce off. was always funny. great entertainer.