AFL All Australian shortlist

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

AFL All Australian shortlist

MELBOURNE, Sept 4 AAP - AFL All Australian squad from which 22-man team will be announced on September 17:

Defenders: Jed Adcock (Brisbane Lions) Craig Bolton (Sydney) Campbell Brown (Hawthorn) Matthew Egan (Geelong) Sam Fisher (St Kilda) Dustin Fletcher (Essendon) Darren Glass (West Coast) Roger Hayden (Fremantle) Andrew McLeod (Adelaide) Nick Malceski (Sydney) Darren Milburn (Geelong) Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)

Forwards: Jonathon Brown (Brisbane Lions) Brett Ebert (Port Adelaide) Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) Brent Harvey (Kangaroos) Brad Johnson (Western Bulldogs) Steve Johnson (Geelong) Corey Jones (Kangaroos) Scott Lucas (Essendon) Cam Mooney (Geelong) Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle) Matthew Richardson (Richmond) Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)

Midfielders/Ruckmen: Gary Ablett (Geelong) Jimmy Bartel (Geelong) Joel Corey (Geelong) Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide) Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide) Dean Cox (West Coast) Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda) Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) Nathan Foley (Richmond) Daniel Kerr (West Coast) Brett Kirk (Sydney) Brendon Lade (Port Adelaide) Nigel Lappin (Brisbane Lions) Cameron Ling (Geelong) Hamish McIntosh (Kangaroos) Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)

Congratulations to those three guys.

Probably a surprise Dal has made it, but unlike most of this board, I still think he's been pretty good without being spectacular, or as good as we know he can and/or will be.

I'd suspect only Riewoldt is a realistic chance of making the 22; I don't think Fisher will crack that backline.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Corey Jones (Kangaroos) what is he doing on there ?? :?

Has has a poor 2nd half of the year.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

How the F*** is Dal Santo there and not Montagna?

Joey averaged 24 disposals, 5 marks, 0.5 goals and 3.6 tackles per game, and had 8 games of 25+ disposals, all of which is significantly higher than Dal Santo's output.

Montagna had more clearances too, and more running bounces ...

Joey would be top 3 in our B&F, whereas Dal would be lucky to be top 5 IMO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
noreason41
Club Player

Wow, surprising that Dal Santo would get shortlist selection in front of Montagna.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

congrats to the three guys

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Is Montagna tagged as hard as Dal Santo? See how monty goes next year when opposition clubs wake up to him as a threat.

Halo Halo
Club Player

Its Bullsh@t that Dal Santo got on the shortlist ahead of Joey... Dal Santo was ok this year but Joey has been great!

I think you will find Joey was tagged often this year & was taken as a serious threat by the opposition teams this year, especially in the second part of the sesaon..

But yes, lets see what Joey has to offer next year if he is tagged as hard as Dal!

saintgus
Club Player

montagna has been heavily ripped off

Saints for the flag 2010
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Fisher, Montagna and Riewoldt would be my picks for the B&F, and when I read we had three nominees for the AA team I naturally thought it would be those three.
Shocking they left out Monty.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dal does a lot more with his 21.5 than joey does with his 23.9. He's one of the most efficient and effective mids in the league. He also gets more contested ball than Joey. He has the second fewest average disposals of the shortlisted mids though, so he might miss in the end. I'll be impressed with the AA committee if they name him in the final side. He deserves to be there more than most other guys.

The name that really surprised me was Roger Hayden. In the Freo games I saw he didn't really stand out.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

If we're lucky, one will make it. No guesses Roo, I mean who?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dal has had just as good a year, or maybe better, than Montagna, its just that we set his standards for a great game alot higher

i think you'll find Dal leads us in alot of midfield stats

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Dal has had just as good a year, or maybe better, than Montagna, its just that we set his standards for a great game alot higher

Nah I don't think soo

Leigh Montagna
Kicks 339
Handballs 163
Possessions 502
Marks 108
Hit Outs 0
Tackles 75
Free Kicks For 20
Free Kicks Against 16
Goals 10 Behinds 13

Nick Dal Santo
Kicks 290
Handballs 182
Possessions 472
Marks 66
Hit Outs 9
Tackles 81
Free Kicks For 29
Free Kicks Against 9
Goals 9
Behinds 8

Joey kills him everywhere in the season stats, Dally is only ahead really on Tackles and that's only by 6 tackles.

I am amazed Dally got onto the short list and not Joey to be honest and that's coming from me..

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:How the F*** is Dal Santo there and not Montagna?

Joey averaged 24 disposals, 5 marks, 0.5 goals and 3.6 tackles per game, and had 8 games of 25+ disposals, all of which is significantly higher than Dal Santo's output.

Montagna had more clearances too, and more running bounces ...

Joey would be top 3 in our B&F, whereas Dal would be lucky to be top 5 IMO.

Has Leigh really been in All Australian form this year? I wouldnt think so. Great year for St Kilda......lightyears away from being in the top ten elite midfieldersn in the competition.

Dont agree Dal should be there...hasnt had a year worth AA.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It really doesn't matter who is there out of Dal and Joey because neither of them have good enough to even get a spot on the bench.

Both Chips and Roo should make the final team and will finish top 2 in our B&F.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Dal has had just as good a year, or maybe better, than Montagna, its just that we set his standards for a great game alot higher

Nah I don't think soo

Leigh Montagna
Kicks 339
Handballs 163
Possessions 502
Marks 108
Hit Outs 0
Tackles 75
Free Kicks For 20
Free Kicks Against 16
Goals 10 Behinds 13

Nick Dal Santo
Kicks 290
Handballs 182
Possessions 472
Marks 66
Hit Outs 9
Tackles 81
Free Kicks For 29
Free Kicks Against 9
Goals 9
Behinds 8

Joey kills him everywhere in the season stats, Dally is only ahead really on Tackles and that's only by 6 tackles.

I am amazed Dally got onto the short list and not Joey to be honest and that's coming from me..
i was meaning more midfield stats, clearences, contested posessions, tackles and so on

pretty positive Dal is number 1-2 for both contested posessions and clearances

also alot of the posessions Dal wins in congested areas and his effective disposal afterwards, Montagna could only dream of pulling off

theres only 2 players at our club i feel 100% relaxed when they have the ball, Harvey and Dal

the vision and time they seem to have to deliver the ball, a cut above the rest

i think he deserves his spot in the AA squad

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
nabby7
Club Player

un lucky joey didnt get in
congrats to sammy fisher
deserves it
and too roo and dal too
next year's aim is for more then three

StSteven
Club Player

So much for best list in the AFL! Very disappointing.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:So much for best list in the AFL! Very disappointing.
I am not taking da p*ss, but I would be interested to see your AA team.. just to have a look.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Good year from Joey. IMO, Dal was better. A 22 posession game from Dal is worth 25+ from most other mids, including Joey. Joey probably had more visible touches, and in his first high profile year, it's not surprising that a lot of people are rating him so high, he definately deserves kudos. IMO, Nick Dal Santo was St. Kilda's best midfielder across 2007 though, while taking the best opposition taggers.

Surprised that he made the longlist, he won't make the final team.

Doubt Fisher will either, faded in the last 6 rounds after a credible start and a great midseason. On the other hand, Gerard Healy is big wraps for Fisher, so who knows.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Not sure what their criteria is. Personally the AA team means diddly squat to me. None of our players got in and we finished 6. Maybe no stars. That's ok. We have bigger fish to fry on Saturday night anyways.

Roo had to get in, no doubt. Sammy Fisher had a great year at CHF, very consistent, and whilst Dal has had better years he still oozes class.....Joey was unlucky.

Halo Halo
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Good year from Joey. IMO, Dal was better. A 22 posession game from Dal is worth 25+ from most other mids, including Joey. Joey probably had more visible touches, and in his first high profile year, it's not surprising that a lot of people are rating him so high, he definately deserves kudos. IMO, Nick Dal Santo was St. Kilda's best midfielder across 2007 though, while taking the best opposition taggers.

I really doubt that dal santo was St Kilda's best mid-fielder - I think his repuation carried him through.. What an over-statement to say that a 22 posession game from Dal is worth 25+ from most other mid-fielders..

My money's on Joey to win the club's b&f (i think either Riewoldt or Montagna would be favourite) and surely he jf he won the b&f would you have to agree that he was our best!!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Critics of Dal Santo really need to look back through the season and see how effective he was in some of those clutch games.

Oozes class and made a pedestrian midfield (Hayes and Ball struggling, Joey very good but mainly outside) competitive more than a few times.

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Joey and Dal were both very good, but I have to agree with a lot of people on this one. I think Joey deserves it more than Dal.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

meh media awards are just that.

every time we beat geelong it was because we hammered cameron ling right at the start.

every team that beats us hammered luke ball and lenny hayes right at the start.

who the media THINKS is our most valuable player and who are most valuable player is a quantum apart.

IMO its amazing what we achieved in the back 10 of last season in the absence of Lenny Hayes.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!