sheldon.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Clearly to some on here, Sheldon doesn't know much about footy after being a premiership player in a successful club, then coming down and playing servicable footy with us, also being a coach etc etc. I remember back when Sheldon took on the coaching role, we finally got into a final after years in the wilderness, the overall quality of the team went up and it felt pretty good to me as a supporter. We probably would have gone further in the finals had the finals system at the time not worked against when we lost to Geelong..plus Geelong targeted a couple of our key players with heavy knocks. I've got no problems with Sheldon or even Alves as coaches etc..I think its a pity the board then let the tail wag the dog and didn't show 100% faith in those two in their times as coach. Nuff said, lets look forward to 2008.

we would have won a premiership in 1997.....if sheldon and hudson weren't after the quick fix and got rid of players like fletcher and kickett......they also flowered greig......yep ..he can coach...but what does he know about player contracts......he is a blue at heart./..and always will be.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
JeffDunne

SENsaintsational wrote:Terrific bloke, but out of his depth I'd say at the present.
Pretty well sums up my impression of Ken.

I have a couple of mates that played at South Adelaide and they had the same impression of him there too.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I am confused, he is being criticised for not resigning players, but who hasn't he re-signed?
well for starters......goose........uimmrrrhhh errr.....baker...and ....let me think......x.......and that's a worry ....or two.....or three..... :wink: :roll: :roll:

To the top
SS Life Member

So, specifically how is he out of his depth?

Unsigned players?

Well, I would imagine that there is no problem with Goose, but he is coming off a serious injury and in a competition where contracts are given for performance, there may be some jigging ahead of him producing the form we all hope he has in him. Statement of fact.

In regards X. Clarke, would he play for a club other than the club his brother plays for?

And, in regards Baker, his currency is on the wane. Most obviously not the Demitriou Administrations favourite player by a very long way and struggling for match ups these days. Has fallen significantly from the heady days of joint B&F winner. So, if Baker holds out for more, so be it.
The club should not come to the party - because we can spend the extra money better elsewhere.

There were issues when Sheldon coached, performance fell away in his final year and the Board of the time did not know who to sheet responsibility to - Sheldon or Hudson. So they both went for Alves, who was at the club already.

They were during the Lockett years, when player was bigger than club and everything was seen through the Lockett prism and Lockett being happy - including, significantly, by the Board.

Some wrong decisions were made at that time - but these were made at Board level in my view.

Lockett finally left.

And the club did not fall apart.

With no currency, because there was no interest in him at the trade table, I would be surprised if the club signed off to any form of lucrative contract for Milne.

Granted, the persona of Baker and Milne is seen by some to be the fabric of the club - but so was Lockett's.

Lyon said he wanted Milne re-signed - and he was.

It was reported at the time, and since, that Thomas had given Milne his marching orders.

So why the savage attack of Sheldon?

Incidentally, South Adelaide are a basket case. This season they are reported to have locked their coach out of the rooms after a game! This is the club which, also, had Don Scott as coach - for 6 weeks! So don't put any store on anything you hear from there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i stick by everything i have already stated in this thread...and i am not going to repeat it.......except to say that i have serious concerns...shared by board members, i might add...that this guy is in charge of player contracts.......

The Peanut
Club Player

Intersting post 'To the top'
I am also not clear about Sheldon's incompetancy - I have just heard from around the club that 'he is a good bloke but the job is too big for him' and his profesional relationship with Rod Butterss seems to un-nerve some of the board members and staff. Nevertheless, I am only going by hearsay. If it's just the Milne contract and a possible misjudged representation regarding Bakers tribunal hearing, I guess if he is aware of these mistakes and has put actions in place to improve, I may have been a little hard on him in the recent past. There has certainly been some great re-signings this year, whether Sheldon has been exceptional in this or whether it has been more to do with the payers consolidarity regarding the squad I don't know.

Interesting observation on X - he or Raph may well go back to the Territory if they become excess to needs at the Saints. My understanding is that they love being part of the Saints but have clear plans for post-AFL. Having said that I am sure that they want to improve and be part of a St Kilda success story.
Last edited by The Peanut on Sun 09 Sep 2007 6:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintm
Club Player

Are we sure that X Clarke hasn't re-signed? I thought this was announced at roughly the same time as the two Nicks and there was a post on here in the last couple of days saying the same thing.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no, he hasn't been signed up.....

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The whole question with re-signings comes down to how much money it is costing the club.

Great to re-sign your guns, but if you are doing so at higher prices that preclude the development of other players on your list, and thereby cost you a chance at the flag, then you have failed.

So it may be great work to have signed Rooey and Kosi, and Sheldon may have done so at salaries which give the club enough room in the TPP.

Or he may have simply bowed to their requests for money, and in the process meant that sooner or later the group won't be able to stay together.

I don't know which way it has fallen, but you can't make a judgement about the signing of players unless you know the amounts of money involved (relative to the salary cap).

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.