VODAPHONE GONE?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

peter lockwood
Club Player

VODAPHONE GONE?

TAlk in both Vic papers is that they are going to leave us and go to Carlton.Board fighting no major sponser what the f%$K!Roll on 08! :roll:

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: VODAPHONE GONE?

peter lockwood wrote:TAlk in both Vic papers is that they are going to leave us and go to Carlton.Board fighting no major sponser what the f%$K!Roll on 08! :roll:
I doubt that would be the reason, why would you want to go to a rabble like Carlton, if they do see ya.
We will get new sponsers

Before Im 85
JeffDunne

Read the article and it's pretty clear why they are pulling the pin.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/vodaf ... 34503.html
Central to Vodafone's frustration with St Kilda is the personal sponsorship deal of club co-captain Luke Ball with Telstra.

Ball is a Telstra "ambassador" and has appeared in a series of newspaper advertisements promoting Telstra's Next G mobile phone network.

Sources at Vodafone say they were not informed of Ball's pre-existing sponsorship deal with Telstra, which began in 2005, until after Vodafone had signed with the Saints.

A senior Vodafone executive said the company was "furious" with the actions of the St Kilda board.

"There was no mention of his contract with Telstra, which was kept from us until after we had signed a deal with the club," the source said.

St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser said the board was not aware of Ball's deal with Telstra when it negotiated with Vodafone.

"Player managers are under no obligation to disclose such private sponsorship deals and we were not aware of it when we did the Vodafone deal," Fraser said. "We've heard about Carlton's offer of (mobile phone) connections. What can I say, it's a massive offer, but we have the second highest-rating team in Melbourne."

Vodafone Australia's Paul Guerra, general manager for Victoria and Tasmania, confirmed the company was in the midst of discussions with the St Kilda board over the sponsorship deal.

"We were joint major sponsors with Bill Express, who won't be involved next year," Guerra said.

"There are three options available to us: full naming-rights sponsor of the club, joint sponsor with another company or no relationship at all. That's what we are reviewing right now."

Guerra said an announcement would be made by the end of the week.

"We are coming to the end of that first year now. We are in discussions about whether we proceed with year two, but I can't give away too much one way or the other, except to say that there are conversations we are having with St Kilda right now as to how our relationship pans out moving forward," he said.

Guerra confirmed that Vodafone, which also sponsors Port Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions and West Coast, would examine whether it could strike a deal with another Melbourne-based club in 2008, in order to maintain its national AFL "footprint".

Rival Melbourne clubs have been asked to tender for Vodafone's sponsorship, outlining what extra content and access to players they can provide. Melbourne, which has an existing deal with Primus Telecom, as well as Carlton have impressed.

Pressed on whether Luke Ball's deal with Telstra had hampered Vodafone's relationship with St Kilda, Guerra said: "The Luke Ball situation is an unfortunate one, given that it pre-dates our sponsorship. It's something that we have been trying to work with the club on, and try and work around, but it's obviously not an ideal situation."
Read as : we won't take responsibility for this - it was Luke Ball's fault.

Fair dinkum. :roll:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Luke ball signed his contract before Vodaphone on scene...........

Was/should have the club aware/

Is the club aware of EVERY contract big or small of the entire playing list
again not sure......

If the club became aware should they have tried to break his contract with telstra?? or did they ?

When Vodaphone signed with Bris and saints was one of the AFL's major sponors TELSTRA a problem

saint4life
mischa
Club Player

chook23 wrote:Luke ball signed his contract before Vodaphone on scene...........

again not sure......
They should be surely, in the event of something like this happening!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:
chook23 wrote:Luke ball signed his contract before Vodaphone on scene...........

again not sure......
They should be surely, in the event of something like this happening!
GT was doing everything back in 2005 did he inform anyone
:wink: :wink:

saint4life
mischa
Club Player

chook23 wrote:GT was doing everything back in 2005 did he inform anyone
:wink: :wink:
How would I know? And what's that got to do with player sponsorships being at odds with our major sponsors :?: Would've thought that in "running" a club it's beholden on yep, "the board"-Rod and co. to have such financial issues and conflicts-potential or otherwise, under control as it were :?:

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

We'll get another one, don't stress.

BTW, VodaFone, not VodaPHone.

savatage
SS Life Member

It would be nice to have a major sponsor for more than a year or two.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We all know that Major Sponsors don't grow on trees but seeing that Telstra will not be renewing its naming rights deal with Collo and Luke Ball already has a deal with Telstra,

HAS STKILDA APPROACHED TELSTRA? !!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we have a healthy membership, 3 successive years of finals, good TV ratings, some of the more marketable players (harvey, reiwoldt, Kosi, max etc all cleanskins) we SHOULD be an attractive team to sponsor.

how can richmond, carlton, etc hang on to sponsors despite their 'off field' issues.

why would companies like to be associated with 'gangsters' drug allegations etc :roll:

are we targetting the wrong folks?

how can we get it so right for 5 years and so iffy the last couple.

have we've gone from a desireable team to sponsr and be associated with, to one where companies try and avoid?

IF the potential new board can offer serious sponsorship, then I'm thinking that they are looking more attractive on a daily basis.

we seem to have lost some blue chip companies on the way. WCE relationship with hungry jacks, Cats and ford, Collingwood and richmond with TAC have been on going for years.

keeping a contract is many times easier than finding a new contract.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

It would be nice to have an admin in place that can realise the marketability of the club. Last season we were the second highest rating team on FTA and this season we would have to be up there.

Losing this deal is about mis-management, nothing to do with the clubs marketability.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Sounds alright to me - CARN THE TELSTRA SAINTS

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:It would be nice to have an admin in place that can realise the marketability of the club. Last season we were the second highest rating team on FTA and this season we would have to be up there.

Losing this deal is about mis-management, nothing to do with the clubs marketability.
"Player managers are under no obligation to disclose such private sponsorship deals'

from article ...........is this the case??

if so .....whose mis-mangement acually is it?

saint4life
JeffDunne

chook23, did you know of Luke Ball's deal?

Under the CBA, clubs must advise players of protected sponsors and players are contractually prohibited from entering into deals that conflict with those sponsorships. If the club became aware of the deal after the event, they should have acted on it and not allowed it to get to this.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

So Luke Ball signed with Telstra in 2005. St Kilda signed with Vodafone in 2007. And Archie Fraser knew nothing of Ball's contract. Had he not done anything for Telstra in 2 years? Shoot, where do I get a contract like that??

Keystone Cops again from Benny Hill Fraser. We are being run by incompetants.

Notice no comment from Roddy McButterss in a bad news article? Funny that.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:So Luke Ball signed with Telstra in 2005. St Kilda signed with Vodafone in 2007. And Archie Fraser knew nothing of Ball's contract. Had he not done anything for Telstra in 2 years? Shoot, where do I get a contract like that??

As a former contract manager i was across a couple hundred contracts, it wasn't that difficult to keep your finger on the pulse.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintm
Club Player

Several players on the Australian cricket team are facing the same issues. Sponsorship is being provided to Cricket Australia by the Commonwealth Bank but several players also have private contracts with other financial institutions. Not sure how or if they have resolved the matter as yet.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:So Luke Ball signed with Telstra in 2005. St Kilda signed with Vodafone in 2007. And Archie Fraser knew nothing of Ball's contract. Had he not done anything for Telstra in 2 years? Shoot, where do I get a contract like that??

As a former contract manager i was across a couple hundred contracts, it wasn't that difficult to keep your finger on the pulse.
Exactly Dan. Another example of Benny Hill Fraser having no clue where he should have a clue. No wonder Vodafone are furious.

Having said that, I'm sure that won't be the only reason they leave. It will be a commercial decision in the end.

But Benny is becoming a liability with his lack of knowledge of the way things work. "We're Outta Here!" Fair dinkum.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
TheBabyBlues
Club Player

I dont know how much of this is a Luke Ball thing and how much of this can be attributed to Pratts offer to Vodafone...
Carlton is looming as the frontrunner to win the Vodafone sponsorship, after billionaire president Richard Pratt made the company a "hard-to-refuse offer". Carlton will offer Vodafone complete access to players, behind-the scenes content from the football club, and Vodafone will be allowed to make a pitch for Visy Industries' entire mobile phone business.

"You are absolutely on the money in regard to the Carlton offer," said a source at Vodafone. "But no deal has been signed yet."
If that does go through for us, then we would probably lose Optus as a sponsor so you guys could probably poach them.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Are you guys seriously suggesting that Vodafone would leave StKilda because Luke Ball has a personal deal with Telstra?

And they would then go to Carlscum who have a total Club deal with Optus?

Guys, this is more to do with Vodafone having a chance to get a much better deal from Carlscum/Pratt than anything the Saints may or may not have done. Major Sponsors who are not emotionaly bound to Clubs (e.g. Ford at Geelong) make their decisions to remain purely on business opportunities and exposure merits.

You can quite rightly blame RB/AF for lots of things but not everything bad that happens is because of them.

And as for the Club knowing what 'deals' individual players have/don't have - that is IMO, pure nonsense.
The Club wouldn't and shouldn't have anything to do with deals done by a player and his manager. If for example StKilda has a sponsorship deal with Jefferson Ford and Ricky Nixon gets a deal for Roo at another Ford dealer, what right would Saints have to tell Roo he cannot do it?

And how many times have we heard/read about a player having a 'footwear deal' with a company that was different to the 'footwear deal' of the Club. These issues happen all the time at most clubs.

JeffDunne

I think you need to read the quotes in that article again MM.

FWIW, the Optus deal at Carlton is worth nix to the club now. It was almost given away to save face.

Unfortunately I think we're about to see some of these type of deals done at St Kilda for exactly the same reason that one was done.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Are you guys seriously suggesting that Vodafone would leave StKilda because Luke Ball has a personal deal with Telstra?

And they would then go to Carlscum who have a total Club deal with Optus?

Guys, this is more to do with Vodafone having a chance to get a much better deal from Carlscum/Pratt than anything the Saints may or may not have done. Major Sponsors who are not emotionaly bound to Clubs (e.g. Ford at Geelong) make their decisions to remain purely on business opportunities and exposure merits.

You can quite rightly blame RB/AF for lots of things but not everything bad that happens is because of them.

And as for the Club knowing what 'deals' individual players have/don't have - that is IMO, pure nonsense.
The Club wouldn't and shouldn't have anything to do with deals done by a player and his manager. If for example StKilda has a sponsorship deal with Jefferson Ford and Ricky Nixon gets a deal for Roo at another Ford dealer, what right would Saints have to tell Roo he cannot do it?

And how many times have we heard/read about a player having a 'footwear deal' with a company that was different to the 'footwear deal' of the Club. These issues happen all the time at most clubs.
I think your wrong about the club not needing to know what deals the players have outside of footy. They do have to know and it is in their contract to advise of any deals to see if there is a conflict of interest.

Also from what I believe Vodafone were not happy with the RB and GT thing as well a few other issues as far back as 6-8 weeks ago. I think I even said in a thread when we lost Bill express that we may lose Vodafone back then.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Commercial decision

Pratt offer

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I think you need to read the quotes in that article again MM.

FWIW, the Optus deal at Carlton is worth nix to the club now. It was almost given away to save face.

Unfortunately I think we're about to see some of these type of deals done at St Kilda for exactly the same reason that one was done.
Jeffrey, I have reread the quotes and my thoughts remain the same.

Vodafone will publicly give any excuse they want to. If Ball had that agreement for 2 years prior to them coming on board, how come they didn't know about it????
They don't know who/what their competitors are doing in advertising/marketing?

No, the Ball/Telstra deal is just a convenient reason for them to do what they want to do - jump to Carlscum/Pratt for a better deal for themselves.

What do you reckon Ball's manager would have done if Saints came to him and told him he had to 'break' his legal agreement with Telstra made 2 years earlier, becuase they had a deal in 2007 with Vodafone?

How quickly would the lawyers have been engaged?

How many threads/posts would be on here lambasting the Club for it?

Come on Jeffrey, by all means belt RB for the things he has done wronf=g but don't attribute anything that goes wrong anywhere to him.