New Ticket: St Kilda Footy First

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:ok just a question what exactly does this new board bring to the table that the current doesnt ??
Credibility.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Something a bit more professional than a website that could be knocked up in an hour.
Agree. I think Roddy McRod has forced their hand with his continual bitching in the media.

But again, as with all things, their substance or lack of it will be bourne out over time. In this case, a couple of months.

Hell, it took me 5 years before I worked out Roddy had no substance!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

And let's not confuse dissent with disloyalty.

Sam23
SS Life Member

bungiton wrote:I see a real reason for change

We still suffer more soft tissue injuries than most teams

We have stagnated in issues such as a proper elite training facilty

We have posted $1mill profits but not invested anything back into footy operations

We have a board that seem more focussed on ego driven agendas outside of the team rather than internal affairs. most of the press regarding the Saints this year seem focussed on Butterss v Thomas

We have lost a lot of people that have worked for a long time, dedicated staff members have left in droves, a lot of focus for this seems to revolve around Archie Fraser, an outsider with little football knowledge, recruited as a star performer yet never lived up to theses standards.

We have become the whipping boy of the tribunal, our attempts at player defence are nothing short of ludicrous, it is a certainty that whenever a player from the Saints fronts the tribunal we know the outcome prior to the case, all we wait for is the amount of time the player will miss. The Baker result was met with fury for the tribunal, when the cause may have been closer to home, why base your defense on an admission of guilt??

The new board seems to be a spread of people who have the interest of the club at heart, I look forward to hearing thier outlines, which I'm sure will be forth coming, but at the moment seem to center on getting sponsors to the club, improving spending in areas such as player injuries, training facilities, recruiting and footy department areas.

I look forward to hearing more, let's face it I'm not after change for the sake of change, but the board has blundered from one disaster to another, and where is there outline too bring the club forward?? Seven years on and we're no closer to the premiership promised, if anything we look to be sliding further from that elusive goal, look at Collingwood, all the money you can poke a stick at but on field, still making up numbers.
Agree.

Absoloutley time for a change.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

SENsaintsational wrote:And let's not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Or a motherhood statement on a website with "credibility".

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:Rebel Group? Like against the South African apartheid? Rebels?

That's bulls*** spin if ever I've heard it. Let's brand them rebels so people think we are the establishment.

Crock of crap.

The more I hear from 'the Club', the more they assure me that my stance against their keystone cops routine is valid.

'Rebel Group'. Give me a break.
Good to see i wasn't the only one!

The Saints are coming!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Rebel Group? Like against the South African apartheid? Rebels?

That's bulls*** spin if ever I've heard it. Let's brand them rebels so people think we are the establishment.

Crock of crap.

The more I hear from 'the Club', the more they assure me that my stance against their keystone cops routine is valid.

'Rebel Group'. Give me a break.
Cannot believe the reaction to the word rebel

Last couple of challenges
North
carl

word was used to describe group/individuals challenging
Last edited by chook23 on Tue 11 Sep 2007 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
spert
Saintsational Legend

Well RB should probably stand down as Pres now and get it over with before any more destabilising damage is done to the club, it's clear that the rot has set in and it must be sorted out quickly. It seems the new challengers are not totally behind RL as coach? personally if I was RL, I would resign too, as I wouldn't want to be part of a new board who didn't appoint me and were hostile to the previous board and Pres.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:ok just a question what exactly does this new board bring to the table that the current doesnt ??
Credibility.
Sorry SENSaintsational,

What credibility do they bring as an alternate Board?

Yes NB is a CLub Legend, one of our greatest ever clubmen and players.
AT is a 220+ game stalwart of the Club.

WHat do the others bring to the table in terms of credibility at running a Football Club?

To date we have seen nothing that tells us what they are going to do other than they are going to spend more money in 'football' areas.

TBH, they have not said anything that would allow you to make a reasoned decision pn whether they will be any better or not.

Yes they have produced a very professional website.

The members of their ticket seem to be very credentialed people but like the Butters Board when they were elected, no-one knows how they will perform.

The only person who can be judged on performance is John Gdanski who is still a member of the existing Board and also a member of the Alternate Board. So are you basing your 'credibility' answer on him?

At this stage, the only thing, IMHO, that you can say they bring is ' an alternative view on running the Club'.
And even then, we are yet to see what that alternative view is.

JeffDunne

It shows me one thing, and that is that this group is politically inexperienced.

We need smart operators that can not only deal with the day to day operations of managing the club but we need people that can negotiate deals with stadium operators, the AFL and local government.

They have already fallen for the oldest trick in the book in politics - allow yourself to become the issue and not the incumbent.

They should have learnt from John Hewson's and Mark Latham's mistakes.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Credibility.
Sorry SENSaintsational,

What credibility do they bring as an alternate Board?

Yes NB is a CLub Legend, one of our greatest ever clubmen and players.
AT is a 220+ game stalwart of the Club.

WHat do the others bring to the table in terms of credibility at running a Football Club?

To date we have seen nothing that tells us what they are going to do other than they are going to spend more money in 'football' areas.

TBH, they have not said anything that would allow you to make a reasoned decision pn whether they will be any better or not.

Yes they have produced a very professional website.

The members of their ticket seem to be very credentialed people but like the Butters Board when they were elected, no-one knows how they will perform.

The only person who can be judged on performance is John Gdanski who is still a member of the existing Board and also a member of the Alternate Board. So are you basing your 'credibility' answer on him?

At this stage, the only thing, IMHO, that you can say they bring is ' an alternative view on running the Club'.
And even then, we are yet to see what that alternative view is.
Fair points. My point is more aimed at the current President, who in my eyes has totally lost all credibility. And the CEO is a laughing stock...again in my mind.

Goes to credibility of the witness, your honour.

Their performances in the media alone are what's making us a laughing stock and where the lack of credibility comes in.

So I guess, when one side loses credibility, the other gains it by default.

Although, as JD says, they'd want to improve in the output since 10am this morning. I think they will. You may not. Time will tell.

yipper
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Well RB should probably stand down as Pres now and get it over with before any more destabilising damage is done to the club, it's clear that the rot has set in and it must be sorted out quickly. It seems the new challengers are not totally behind RL as coach? personally if I was RL, I would resign too, as I wouldn't want to be part of a new board who didn't appoint me and were hostile to the previous board and Pres.
The "rebel" group is totally behind coach Ross Lyon and will supoort him 100%. As are ALL the players and a couple of ex-players!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
JeffDunne

Mr Magic wrote:Yes they have produced a very professional website.
There's nothing professional about that website. I'd love to know who knocked it up because they are a piss poor web developer (I could bore you with techincal aspects of it that indicates to me it wasn't done by a development house worth a pinch of salt).

Try placing the cursor over Greg Westaway's picture on the front page. :oops:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Greg W???

I guess it's good that it didn't say "Greg WTF??"

I think we can safely assume those on the board did not design or create the website, but agree, it lacks a bit of professionalism.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

No, SENSaintsational, I haven't decided yet although I have been rock solid in my view, that if the alternative has a better plan for my Club then I will support them.

As it happens I do know of some of the people on the alternative ticket (not NB or AT :) ) and they are quality people who I am sure will produce the plan to give me confidence to vote for them.

I have no doubt that RB will be voted out, but, I think he will be voted out for the wrong reasons.

I think that many are like you and have been swayed by emotion rather than by cold hard facts. The 'profits' argument is a classic case in point.

Rationally it is a 'furphy' - the Board was elected on a platform of retiring the debt and now having finally achieved that this year, are being criticised for not spending the money instead.

I found the comments of both NB and AT today very interesting on this matter because they were loyal servants at the Club whilst we nearly spent ourselves, once again, into crippling debt. Now that we are finally out of it, they raise the fact that we didn't spend more money on Football areas as their major criticism of the CLub.

Maybe what I was looking for was a criticism based on us not raising enough revenue so that we could look to spend more on football areas.

Basically a similar complaint but different in focus. The fact that they don't seem to recognize the difference has me a tad concerned,

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

MM, it is an emotional thing barracking for a footy club. Even more so it seems with St Kilda.

I'm still not sure what 'retiring' a debt means though. Did we pay it back or is it a paper write-off like when we reduced debt through writeoff of the stands or the like.

In the end, I can only judge on what I see publically or in the reports. I see Roddy as a liability. I see Archie as an incompetent buffoon (I hear reports though that he's good behind the scenes? Maybe).

Either way, the board is disjointed. Roddy has had his 7 years. Like his great mate before him, his time has come.

But I still want more from the alternative.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote: I'm still not sure what 'retiring' a debt means though. Did we pay it back or is it a paper write-off like when we reduced debt through writeoff of the stands or the like.
As I understand it, they took the profits that they made and paid it to the banks who they owed the debt to.
So the real money profits paid off the real money debts.

I'll give you an analogy.

You have a credit card debt of $100,000 on which you are paying interest. The credit card company is not asking you to repay it but every month a portion of your wages is going to pay the interest.
This year you earn $20,000 more than last year. What do you do? GO out and buy a new car or pay off the money on your credit card debt? By paying the $20,000 off your credit card you reduce the amount owing to $80,000 and therefore your interest amount each month also reduces.

Basically this is what the Board has done. They have taken the cash profit they made each year and paid it to the banks, therefore reducing the amount owing and the amount in interest they are paying.

They have finally reduced that amount owing to 0, so now, the profit of 1 million this year can be used for anyhting they decide to use it for.
Maybe they want to spruce up the facilities?
Maybe they want to hire more staff?

I don't know because they haven't announced their plans.
What I do know is that they can now look at all those options becuase they have been prudent in 'retiring the debt'.

Does this make RB the right person to lead this Club forward. Not necessarily.
All it does is confirm that he has achieved what he said he would achieve on this issue when he stood for election.

osama milne laden
Club Player

>>>There's nothing professional about that website.

ever tried to negotiate our club's official website? Isn't Roddd's background meant to be in IT (i know it'll be said that's out of his hands)

ever tried to change your email address on that saints members email out??? (i gave up after ringing three times and emailing four times and im still getting them at an address i left 4 years ago)

what the footy first site needs is snaps of the potential incumbent with john-michael howson - like there was of Roddd in the Hun on Sunday

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
kaos theory
Club Player

It shows me one thing, and that is that this group is politically inexperienced.

We need smart operators that can not only deal with the day to day operations of managing the club but we need people that can negotiate deals with stadium operators, the AFL and local government.

They have already fallen for the oldest trick in the book in politics - allow yourself to become the issue and not the incumbent.

They should have learnt from John Hewson's and Mark Latham's mistakes.
How do you come to that conclusion about lack of political experience???

ANY challenger is going to be put under the microscope, especially when the incumbent is not doing that badly.... So far, I haven't seen anything that shows this new ticket hasn't handled itself professionally.

Also, I couldn't give rats about the actual layout of the website. I seen many super flash websites but too often there is no substance behind the flashiness... The site is easy to navigate and read, and that's all that matters.

Also, the people on this ticket have better credentials compared to our current board member's CVs.....They give me more confidence than our current guys...

JeffDunne

OML, yes I have tried to use the club's official site. It's a shocker but the lack of content concerns me more than the problems with Telstra's infrastructure.

kaos theory, I came to that conclusion based on what I've seen so far.

Brewer
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:I would love if we could snare david friend back.
Interesting you should say that Dan.

A quick WHOIS lookup reveals that the 'stkildafootyfirst.com' domain is registered to one Justin Morley, who is a close friend and business associate of David Friend (they produced Puppetry of the Penis together for example).

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:

A quick WHOIS lookup reveals that the 'stkildafootyfirst.com' domain is registered to one Justin Morley, who is a close friend and business associate of David Friend (they produced Puppetry of the Penis together for example).
Very interesting.

Maybe StKildaFootyFirst have already done a deal with Morley/Friend to hire their consultancy business re membership/marketing?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:

Very interesting

We should do a poll every couple of weeks untill the ellection to see if peoples vote changes....

bungiton
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
Brewer wrote:

Very interesting.

Maybe StKildaFootyFirst have already done a deal with Morley/Friend to hire their consultancy business re membership/marketing?
The current marketing setup is abyssmal, why are sponsors leaving?

Why are we losing sponsors after one term, why don't the club get good longserving sponsorships?

After this year any press regarding the Saints has been negative or full of RB vs GT, not much to associate with really

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
yipper
SS Life Member

So it looks likely that an EGM will be held on Monday November 12th. That gives us roughly 8 weeks to assess the merits or otherwise of the alternative ticket.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.