New Ticket: St Kilda Footy First

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

yipper wrote:So it looks likely that an EGM will be held on Monday November 12th. That gives us roughly 8 weeks to assess the merits or otherwise of the alternative ticket.
I don't need that long.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I'm still not sure what 'retiring' a debt means though. Did we pay it back or is it a paper write-off like when we reduced debt through writeoff of the stands or the like.

Two completely different issues.

One was a retirement of a liability in the capital amount of the debt of about 2.5 mill on the books, the other was writing off assets that dont fit the criteria of what an asset is, ie the stands.

Writing off the Assets resulted in a 2.3 mill loss. However as I have been harping on, a profit or a loss is only an accounting concept. You write down or writ off assets and it will have a material effect on the bottom line, doesn't mean the org has performed badly when the abnormals or extraordinaries are taken into account.

The big issue is lack of revenue growth. I was very happy with the debt retirement and the cutting of costs. But now I want to see the growth of the revenue base and subsequent favourable EBIT results.

I have stated reguarily over the past year that I am concerned by this lack of growth in revenues especially with our membership at around 30-32k and 40k average crowds.

Something aint kosher. Perhaps marty Bromberg can fix that aspect :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

On the surface, I support the ticket, conditional on the point it will NEVER entertain Grant Thomas or Lindsay Fox in any part....but I think from the spin on their website that is unlikely.

The spin on saints.com.au shows that our current prez. basically knows he's out on his ear come the AGM....

Does anyone think another alternate ticket will come up over the next 8 weeks?

Here is the proxy voting form - I assume it is for anyone who can't attend the
AGM but wants these guys in???

http://stkildafootyfirst.com/dloads/votefootyfirst.pdf

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
what about Gdanski? I'm sure he could help also :cool:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kaos theory
Club Player

The big issue is lack of revenue growth. I was very happy with the debt retirement and the cutting of costs. But now I want to see the growth of the revenue base and subsequent favourable EBIT results.

I have stated reguarily over the past year that I am concerned by this lack of growth in revenues especially with our membership at around 30-32k and 40k average crowds.
Agreed JB, but I'm not that fussd about a little bit of debt on the books, its more important to have good, growing revenue sources and cash flow...And this current board has dissapointed me lately, its lost its vision & drive, many good people, and seems to lurch forward in a crisis management mode....Most of that rests with RB & his shrinking support base in the current board....

luckysaint
Club Player

I will be voting for the incumbant. The debt has been cleared in a very efficient manner, I would now like to give them a chance to carry us on to greener pastures.
I think that while they have made mistakes this year in some of their decisions overall they have a reasonable track record.

This club needs stability, not another board.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

Agreed JB, but I'm not that fussd about a little bit of debt on the books, its more important to have good, growing revenue sources and cash flow...And this current board has dissapointed me lately, its lost its vision & drive, many good people, and seems to lurch forward in a crisis management mode....Most of that rests with RB & his shrinking support base in the current board....
I agree kaos, debt is fine if it is working capital. The debt on our books was just a cash sapper in termes of interest and there was no return on the debt owed.

The club under Waldron did a great job to pull us up from the financial mire we have always been in.

.....HOWEVER...it wasn't followed up with increased revenue, which I find extraordinary considering the relative health of membership and ave crowds.

Our deal with TD must be s.hitefull and our sponsorship $$$$ woeful.

I am no defender of Butters, but I wont be hoodwinked by a bunch of people who i dont know from Adam tell me they are going to spend the club out of trouble.

Our club is there to win flags, thats all it exists for. But it has to exist to do so. Good fiscal responsibility allows the club to attempt to win flags. We need to have a vision on where this extra revenue is going to come from if we are going to spend up big.

I agree we need to spend more, but not at the expense of destroying the clubs finances in some irresponsible slap dash fashion.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Brewer
Club Player

luckysaint wrote:This club needs stability, not another board.
Unfortunately there is little stability in the current board - ill feeling is strong throughout the fans and the board itself. Simply voting for an instable board will not make it stable.

Butterss et al have done well, I'm sure we all appreciate it, but they've lost the confidence of many and disgraced themselves a bit this year. Maybe they could turn things around next year, but that's quite a punt in itself.

Time for a change and a new focus.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:I'm still not sure what 'retiring' a debt means though. Did we pay it back or is it a paper write-off like when we reduced debt through writeoff of the stands or the like.

Two completely different issues.

One was a retirement of a liability in the capital amount of the debt of about 2.5 mill on the books, the other was writing off assets that dont fit the criteria of what an asset is, ie the stands.

Writing off the Assets resulted in a 2.3 mill loss. However as I have been harping on, a profit or a loss is only an accounting concept. You write down or writ off assets and it will have a material effect on the bottom line, doesn't mean the org has performed badly when the abnormals or extraordinaries are taken into account.

Thanks JB. I won't pretend to understand it all totally, but it makes some sense now.

With a bloke running Transurban on board, could we get transponders with our memberships for Citilink?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
luckysaint
Club Player

Brewer wrote:Unfortunately there is little stability in the current board - ill feeling is strong throughout the fans and the board itself. Simply voting for an instable board will not make it stable.
I suppose having a club director on the rival ticket is a bit destablising.

Like most others i haven't heard any new and useful information from the ticket and until i do i won't contemplate voting RB out.

I would like to see a change in CEO however....

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

luckysaint wrote:I suppose having a club director on the rival ticket is a bit destablising.
Not when he is part of an autocratic board.
Last edited by redwhite&blackblood on Tue 11 Sep 2007 7:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Richter
SS Life Member

redwhite&blackblood wrote:
luckysaint wrote:I suppose having a club director on the rival ticket is a bit destablising.
Not when he is part of a autocratic board.
Ironic isn't it? GT exited ostensibly because he was too "autocratic" in his style....... now looks like RB may be hoisted by his own petard...... what goes around comes around eh?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

We need smart operators that can not only deal with the day to day operations of managing the club but we need people that can negotiate deals with stadium operators, the AFL and local government.
The female board candidate runs a company that deals with stadiums and event management, so we should have so experience in that regard.

I will be supporting the challenge.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
The female board candidate runs a company that deals with stadiums and event management, so we should have so experience in that regard.

1/ Trouble is that apart from NB that she is the ONLY impressive candiadate.

The others are all run of the mill.

2/ Interesting that you are backing them already without them putting up any detail.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

1/ Trouble is that apart from NB that she is the ONLY impressive candiadate.

The others are all run of the mill.

2/ Interesting that you are backing them already without them putting up any detail.
Westaway seems to have some handle on running a transport company, and the CFO of Transurban has seen my Transurban shares climb from $3 to $7 over the past five years, so he is doing something right.

I believe the current board has made several bad mistakes, especially with regards to marketing, improving our revenue base and spending on football areas.

I believe in accountability, and so far the alternative has offered to address two of these three areas.

However, I also respect democracy ... let the board face the vote of the members, and let the people decide.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
JeffDunne

We need smart operators that can not only deal with the day to day operations of managing the club but we need people that can negotiate deals with stadium operators, the AFL and local government.
Yes she does.

Running a football club and dealing with the politics of rival clubs, the AFL and your own club is a completely different scenario though.

I don't doubt or have a problem with the credentials of the challengers, how they present themselves publicly and deal with the knife throwers will be the key.
I will be supporting the challenge.
TBH, I'm still hoping sense will prevail and Rod will see the writing on the wall and will walk and it won't be choice of one or the other.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Westaway seems to have some handle on running a transport company, and the CFO of Transurban has seen my Transurban shares climb from $3 to $7 over the past five years, so he is doing something right.
I would wager the CFO has had little to do with that...and instead would put it down more to the growth strategy developed by others.

i buy a few shares myself.......and would not bother with checking out the CFO as opposed to other members of the management team.

Transport companies would not seem to have a strong connection to runninga membership based sporting enteratainment business.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:TBH, I'm still hoping sense will prevail and Rod will see the writing on the wall and will walk and it won't be choice of one or the other.
Think that would be the most desired outcome.

Sadly however it wont happen i dont think.

Lance or James??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

However, I also respect democracy ... let the board face the vote of the members, and let the people decide.
Agree...but in order to decide, or rather in order to make an informed decision.....you need alot more thana few brief bios.....and a few quaotes about spending more and increasing revenue etc...

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Basically saintsRrising, I believe that the current board has made enough mistakes over the past 24 months that any reasonable alternative that can present some business experience, football knowledge and passion for the club is enough for me.

Thus far the alternative satisfies that.

RB didn't have a clue about running a football club when he became President ...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Basically saintsRrising, I believe that the current board has made enough mistakes over the past 24 months that any reasonable alternative that can present some business experience, football knowledge and passion for the club is enough for me.

Thus far the alternative satisfies that.

RB didn't have a clue about running a football club when he became President ...
That is true....but I still want to have a look at what they propose first.

With RB Plympton wanted to move on and there were few volunteers for what was then a basket case. So the two situations are not directly comparable.

There was also a superb CEO in Waldon present....and I don't have that confidence now and so the Board is even more crucial.

Mcghee
Club Player

Just like you SRR

I am waiting for more information and more explicit details of what the new ticket propose. So far the information they have posted on the website and the news broadcasts are too vague for me to decide whether I would support them...Just keeping an open mind....

Maybe they can poach Eric Bana as well to be on the sub-committee....
What about Molly...

Mcghee
Club Player

As Pauline Hansen would say "MORE INFORMATION PLEASE"

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Yes they have produced a very professional website.
There's nothing professional about that website. I'd love to know who knocked it up because they are a piss poor web developer (I could bore you with techincal aspects of it that indicates to me it wasn't done by a development house worth a pinch of salt).

Try placing the cursor over Greg Westaway's picture on the front page. :oops:
well...i couldn't give a fat rat's clacker about the quality of the web site ffs..it's the quality of the pple that are standing that i care about///web smebb..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Cam1lla
Club Player

thats definately and impressive board.