rb..your club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

rb..your club

interesting statement by rb a season or 2 ago at a saints pre game function

when questioned about how long he intended to stay on made the comment...

its a fine line knowing when to move on

if you stay in the job to long it becomes your club...instead of YOUR club gestering to the 300 or so members present

has that time arrived

stinger
Saintsational Legend

in a word........yes...........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: rb..your club

rogerwa wrote:if you stay in the job to long it becomes your club ... instead of YOUR club gestering to the 300 or so members present. has that time arrived?
good question

i think it became his club when he and the board took the high-handed decision to sack thomas without regard to what the members thought. many, including me, felt at the time it was a bad call which would set the club back.

though we've moved on to a degree and hope that RL can eventually be a capable replacement, the whole saga left a bitter aftertaste and lingering resentment, not to mention months of disharmony and in-fighting on the good ship saintsational.com.

for the most part RB has been a successful president delivering us financial stability and some onfield success. not making the finals this year was a blow to him, though

i'm old enough to remember the 70s and 80s when we were broke and had a scheme of arrangements in operation and were perennial wooden spooners ... so maybe i'm easily pleased.

it's a difficult one ... i think he and his mate "rossy" get 2008 to set things right. if they fail they should be shown the door
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 11 Sep 2007 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like Little Johnny Howard.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
it's a difficult one ... i think he and his mate "rossy" get 2008 to set things right. if they fail they should be shown the door

I agree bc. I also remember back to the 60s, 70s, 80s etc, especially the late 70s and entire 80s. I suspect "Rossy" will get another year (as he most certainly should) but I'm not too sure RB will.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

i think it became his club when he and the board took the high-handed decision to sack thomas without regard to what the members thought. many, including me, felt at the time it was a bad call which would set the club back.
I agree with the rest of your sentiments but I reckon having a show of hands of members as to whether to sack a coach will not catch on in the near future :?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I agree with the rest of your sentiments but I reckon having a show of hands of members as to whether to sack a coach will not catch on in the near future
didn't suggest a show of hands, which is plainly ridiculous.

i'm just pointing out that the president and the board should never forget they are responsible to the members ... many of whom were happy and comfortable with thomas's performance.

in fact, that it is our club ... not RB's.

it still rankles me that the thomas sacking appears to have had nothing to do with our footy performance and more to do with internal politics and a power struggle over who was running the club.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:I agree with the rest of your sentiments but I reckon having a show of hands of members as to whether to sack a coach will not catch on in the near future

i'm just pointing out that the president and the board should never forget they are responsible to the members ... many of whom were happy and comfortable with thomas's performance.

it still rankles me that the thomas sacking appears to have had nothing to do with our footy performance and more to do with internal politics and a power struggle over who was running the club.
maybe there was a show of hands - MANY members supported the move infact Id argue right now MOST members are glad to see the back of Grant Thomas....and probably Rod also.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

maybe there was a show of hands - MANY members supported the move infact Id argue right now MOST members are glad to see the back of Grant Thomas....and probably Rod also.

so you're turning on RB now? who'll be next? his mate "rossy"?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

so you're turning on RB now? who'll be next? his mate "rossy"?
No room left in Rossy's back....you've already plugged that with knives....but ofcourse deep down you support him... :roll:

Rod Butters will ALWAYS have my admiration - he played an integral part in turning this club round.......even wishy/washy fans could acknolwedge that...

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

to me the fates of both rb and rl are linked. failure to make the finals next year, then both should be shown the door.

but, yes, in the main RB has helped turn st kilda around. had a lot of help from gt, of course.

surely even you would admit that

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:to me the fates of both rb and rl are linked. failure to make the finals next year, then both should be shown the door.

but, yes, in the main RB has helped turn st kilda around. had a lot of help from gt, of course.

surely even you would admit that
RL is not tied to RB at all - what nonsense.

RL is tied to his ability to deliver success to this club - he has a 3 yr deal ANY move to replace him prior to that and try another coach is dumb and embarrassing.

Grant Thomas played a key role in providing St Kilda the on field stability it required after the Blight debarcle - quite simply unless Butters put him in the job he was NEVER going to be an AFL coach.....his time was up IMO at the end of 05.......but its all over now baby blue so who cares. Hes gone we move on to a new chapter under a new coach who WILL deliver.

I have absolutely no doubts about that.

IF Butters goes my only stipulation to the new Board is that Grant Thomas nor Rod Butters have ANY involvement with the club and its direction from here on. Both have had a go - we are not a "play thing" for grown boys with monster egos.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:RL is tied to his ability to deliver success to this club.
exactly. as is the guy who appointed "rossy" to "finish the job".
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 12 Sep 2007 12:34am, edited 1 time in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

"took the high handed decision to sack Thomas without the support of the members", or words to that effect.

Fair dinkum!

If that is what this is all about, St Kilda FC is doomed.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:"took the high handed decision to sack Thomas without the support of the members", or words to that effect. Fair dinkum! If that is what this is all about, St Kilda FC is doomed.
that's when the rot set in for the current administration, unfortunately.

made them extremely vulnerable to a challenge from a rival group with its own agenda ... i doubt whether that agenda includes GT.

but who knows?

battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: rb..your club

bigcarl wrote:
rogerwa wrote:if you stay in the job to long it becomes your club ... instead of YOUR club gestering to the 300 or so members present. has that time arrived?
good question

though we've moved on to a degree and hope that RL can eventually be a capable replacement, the whole saga left a bitter aftertaste and lingering resentment, not to mention months of disharmony and in-fighting on the good ship saintsational.com.

for the most part RB has been a successful president delivering us financial stability and some onfield success. not making the finals this year was a blow to him, though

i'm old enough to remember the 70s and 80s when we were broke and had a scheme of arrangements in operation and were perennial wooden spooners ... so maybe i'm easily pleased.

Agreed. Lyon has had a year to sort things out, unless we are bloody good next year (I'd say a semi-finals berth is a pass mark) RL and RB should be shown the door.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD