Rod Butterss & his vision for the future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Rod Butterss & his vision for the future

There's been a few calls from some posters such as Teflon, joffaboy and Mr Magic for the St Kilda Footy First syndicate to make their position clear on a vision for the future.

Fair enough.

I'm just wondering, should we, as members also have the right to ask about a vision for the future from Rod Butterss and his group, given their recent history?

It just seems SFF has been attacked for not yet presenting a tangible vision of nuts and bolts (even though they officially only arrived on the scene yesterday).

To play devils advocate for a moment, what has Butterss put forward recently that we can describe as a vision for the future? All I can recall is a great deal of hyperbole and corporate spin, but nothing concrete about how the club would be developing in the next 20 years.

Do correct if I'm wrong, but I don't seem to recall RB putting together a strategic long-term plan that was open to the members at any point during his reign over the club.

Is there one which we can access somewhere? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this matter.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 12 Sep 2007 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rod Butterss & his vision for the future

evertonfc wrote:There's been a few calls from some posters such as Teflon, joffaboy and Mr Magic for the St Kilda Footy First syndicate to make their position clear on a vision for the future.

Fair enough.

I'm just wondering, should we, as members also have the right to ask about a vision for the future from Rod Butterss and his group, given their recent history?

It just seems SFF has been attacked for not yet presenting a tangible vision of nuts and bolts (even though they officially only arrived on the scene yesterday).

To play devils advocate for a moment, what has Butterss put forward recently that we can describe as a vision for the future? All I can recall is a great deal of hyperbole and corporate spin, but nothing concrete about how the club would be developing in the next 20 years.

Do correct if I'm wrong, but I don't seem to recall RB putting together a strategic long-term plan that was open to the members at any point during his reign over the club.

Is there one which we can access somewhere? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this matter.
I think he might tell us a bit more tomorrow. They have also increased spending on recruitmement next year as well as injury prevention.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

We seemed to have a plan until the end of 2004, and then lost some direction.

Archie was interviewed on 3AW about four months ago, and was asked about the club's plans for the future.

He outlined 6 key areas ... the problem was, all of them had been achieved except winning a premiership and building a training facility.

Progress on those has stalled somewhat ... and there are no other ideas.

Good question evertonfc ... if Butterss is going to fight the election, he needs to outline exactly what his vision is. He can't run on incumbency - he needs a plan for the future.

If he presents something about the future, then I would consider voting for him.

At the moment, St Kilda FF are playing it exactly like Kevin Rudd ... big on the ideas and rhetoric, small on the detail.

It puts pressure on the incumbent to act with a forward vision.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I think he might tell us a bit more tomorrow. They have also increased spending on recruitmement next year as well as injury prevention.
The very fact that I have no idea that the club has spent more on recruiting and injury management says something in itself.

Why aren't the members aware of what the club has done in these areas?

Great to hear they plan on spending more next year ... why didn't they spend more this year? Last year?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I agree, both sides need to make it very clear what their strategies are going forward.

But disliking Rod is not reason enough to sack the board.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I think he might tell us a bit more tomorrow. They have also increased spending on recruitmement next year as well as injury prevention.
The very fact that I have no idea that the club has spent more on recruiting and injury management says something in itself.

Great to hear they plan on spending more next year ... why didn't they spend more this year? Last year?
They did tell us about both. Have got 2 recruiting people and have Ross Smith from the AIS looking into injuries. I am not sure boards tell their supportors all the things that are happening at the club.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I am not sure boards tell their supportors all the things that are happening at the club.
True - so why then, are people so desperate for more detail from SFF when RB has been so light on for detail for years now?

I think it's a fair and valid question.

Surely both groups should be held accountable, not just the new guys.

OWTS said it before - you can't just run on incumbancy. You need to stand for something, and you need to be accountable for it.

In the public eye, RB has had seven years to be accountable; SFF has had 36 hours.

Baldock Rules
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I am not sure boards tell their supportors all the things that are happening at the club.
True - so why then, are people so desperate for more detail from SFF when RB has been so light on for detail for years now?

I think it's a fair and valid question.

Surely both groups should be held accountable, not just the new guys.

OWTS said it before - you can't just run on incumbancy. You need to stand for something, and you need to be accountable for it.

In the public eye, RB has had seven years to be accountable; SFF has had 36 hours.
As an incumbant you also need to accept responsibility for the mistakes as well as taking credit for the successes :roll:

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'm just wondering, should we, as members also have the right to ask about a vision for the future from Rod Butterss and his group, given their recent history?
I don't think I want to know about his vision for our club although, having said that, I would love to sit in on one of RB's famous boardroom meetings...

Last edited by Beej on Wed 12 Sep 2007 8:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:

They did tell us about both. Have got 2 recruiting people and have Ross Smith from the AIS looking into injuries. I am not sure boards tell their supportors all the things that are happening at the club.
The membership was advised as plugger66 said

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OWTS...the members were informed of it....

i knew of it...and like Plugger66 have posted on it

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

How though?

I actually did know about it ... through SS though.

Was there anything on the club website?

Any club email?

Any club press release?

Any postal notification?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PS... The club also has employed a Development coach....and a Football Manager (even if some are not happy it was Ken).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:How though?

I actually did know about it ... through SS though.

Was there anything on the club website?

Any club email?

Any club press release?

Any postal notification?
Press release on both.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There was also brief mention that the AIS committee had met and were hard at work AND had already indentified a number of areas that needed to be changed.

So the question still reamains...what will FF do that has not already been started???

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough.

I was well aware of the AIS committee and the appointment of John Peake with Bevo as his assistant.

But I had found out through saintsational ...

I have spoken to other members who had no idea about either, as they only read the traditional media and do not receive press releases (obviously).

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Another FACT was that was reported on was that LAST draft period that the saints dida lot more work IN Wa including from memory testing some players we were interested in.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:57am, edited 1 time in total.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:There was also brief mention that the AIS committee had met and were hard at work AND had already indentified a number of areas that needed to be changed.

So the question still reamains...what will FF do that has not already been started???
They'll not have the destabilising,distracting GT spat saga to contend with for a start...and think a lot of this socalled change is a little too little too late and playing asround the edges..as Burkey has said feedback from employess at the club expressed significant disatisfaction in many areas.

Just can't believe that anyone would believe Burke and Thompson would get involved in the first place unless they have seen the discontent first hand and see a need for change :roll:
Last edited by saint patrick on Wed 12 Sep 2007 9:32pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Another FACT was that was reported on was that LAST draft period that the saints dida lot more work IN Wa including from memory testing some players we were interested in.
So we memory tested Clinton Jones...?

I would have thought heavy testing of all skills - mental and physical - would be a given, in all states.
saint patrick wrote:Just can't believe that anyone would believe Burke and Thompson would get involved in the first place unless they have seen the discontent first hand and see a need for change:roll:
Like or despise RB, this is a point nobody should ignore.

There's no way known these two blokes would be getting involved if they didn't see a problem.

The Peanut
Club Player

We live in an age of instant information worldwide, and we sit here sweating about what is happening down the road at Moorabbin.

I guess the club needs to be made aware that many of the supporters are hungry for more information - when GT was around we got a lot of info from him through the press and through Cassius etc - we all loved them and felt informed and appreciated as supporters. The members emails are a good innovation - but the club is just at first base in my view. Most other clubs have the same problem, but we don't have to shut our mouths just because of that. We need to lead - not follow.

The new ticket seems to understand the importance of members being informed through the various mediums available and members wanting to be informed and are sometimes capable of contributing ideas. It might be a good idea for someone to save these posts as they will probably become relevant again in a few years when they have forgotten what its like to left in the dark (if they get in).

Many things must be undertaken without the world knowing about them but transparency within reason shouldn't be too much to ask.

The situation regarding Moorabbin is a great example of blunders, hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted, lack of proper planning, no close monitoring by a sub-committee and wool permanently pulled over the supporters eyes except when they needed our letters of support

. . . and here we are sitting around computers waiting for nothing to happen.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Might have to start addressing you as The Peanut Phd :wink:

Good & wise points there.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: - when GT was around we got a lot of info from him through the press and through Cassius etc - we all loved them and felt informed and appreciated as supporters.

. . . and here we are sitting around computers waiting for nothing to happen.
on the first point- as the full affect of being an AFL coach hit and the pressures increased the info coming out from GT and RB diminished, I remember those midnight new year eve chats on saints chat in what seems like decades ago- but in reality only 2002. but the media and others killed of the spontaneity

on the second
life is now full of people - expecting the answer NOW!!! we want more instantly. never time to check- re-check - debate(yuck) find info- you have to have it ready BEFORE someone asks.

and on that I'd really really like to hear that no. 3 and No. 10 and No. 31 have re-signed

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:There's been a few calls from some posters such as Teflon, joffaboy and Mr Magic for the St Kilda Footy First syndicate to make their position clear on a vision for the future.

Fair enough.

yep...good idea...once again i am of a mind to support your suggestion.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought any President's vision was to win a premiership and that's what they are all passionate about including Butters I expect.