5 Clubs chasing GOOSE !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

big, big mistake if we let him go.

likely to go on and dominate the competition at chb for the next 10 years in the mould of an glen jakovich.

what worries me is that he might not be RL's type of player. not the sort of "accountable" type he seems to like. perhaps takes a few too many risks for "rossy" and, consequently, looks bad when they don't come off.

i'd just say to goose chb is your domain and give him the license to do whatever he likes down there .... fly for marks, kick long into attack, rough a few blokes up ...

since his comeback from injury he seemed too preoccupied with what his opponent was doing. show a bit of confidence and he'll become the aggressive, dashing foundation stone of our defence that we came to admire 2004-2006

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:yeah you can riccardo but he has to agree with it because he is out of contract. If he was still in contract he wouldn't have to agree, they could just do it.

When they are still in contract they STILL have to agree.

Wouldnt you think that a player still with a contract would have more, if not the same amount of rights as an out of contract one.

busso mick
Club Player

He has had a major injury and was very tentative after his comeback which is understandable. He gave away a lot of free kicks with the hands in back rule, and was not playing with any confidence. I wouldn't be waving too much money in front of him, because at the moment he is simply not worth it. What he did 2 seasons ago is not relevant, he should get what he is worth now, not based on his previous reputation. That sounds cold and ruthless, but so be it. The major factor is also loyalty to his teammates, which is priceless and why his teammates have resigned.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:He has had a major injury and was very tentative after his comeback which is understandable. He gave away a lot of free kicks with the hands in back rule, and was not playing with any confidence. I wouldn't be waving too much money in front of him, because at the moment he is simply not worth it. What he did 2 seasons ago is not relevant, he should get what he is worth now, not based on his previous reputation. That sounds cold and ruthless, but so be it. The major factor is also loyalty to his teammates, which is priceless and why his teammates have resigned.
That's not the way it works.

You don't offer a player what he is worth now in terms of his current performance.

You decide what he is worth to your club over the period of the contract you are offering him.

Chris Judd had an average year - would you only offer him an average contract?

Goose a very young CHB with massive ability. He has shwon when fit that he's the best CHB in the comp.

Goose's value to our club over the next 3 years is immense. The effort to keep him should be in line with that.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he won't be going anywhere

there has not been much talk of goose re-signing until the past week due to roo, dal, kosi etc re-signing due to their importance and far better seasons in comparison to goose

also if he was leaving...don't you think he would have been given the third degree on the footy show last night??? there was not even a word about it...

if he was at a terrible team like richmond, blues, dogs or dons then he would have been signed up half way through this season due to his comparative standin on their lists...

ffs dont worry

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the worth of the big goose is underestimated by many, but others are seeing sense in this thread.

how some dickheads can criticise a man who was having a red hot crack after a freak accident and beyond me. He needed time, and will be better off as a result of his second half of this year. He was able to get miles into the legs, and some confidence back after an injury which would leave you very short of confidence, because you would be rather tentatie approching pack situations after such a freak accident.

Give Matt some time and he will be the same imposing CHB that he was pre injury.

Some of you people have an insipid understanding of the modern game, you think pace and goals from the midfield, along with a decent FF is all that matters, and hereby forget the importance of the likes of goose. I hear so many people praise the likes of J.Brown, Franklin, Roo etc. and we all forget just how important it is to have somebody with the ability to stop these guys, and this is where goose earns his coin. Remember his job on hall last year where all was red hot and just couldn't get near the ball?

If st.kilda don't do everything they possibly can to retain goose, i will be very, very disappointed.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:the worth of the big goose is underestimated by many, but others are seeing sense in this thread.

how some dickheads can criticise a man who was having a red hot crack after a freak accident and beyond me. He needed time, and will be better off as a result of his second half of this year. He was able to get miles into the legs, and some confidence back after an injury which would leave you very short of confidence, because you would be rather tentatie approching pack situations after such a freak accident.

Give Matt some time and he will be the same imposing CHB that he was pre injury.

Some of you people have an insipid understanding of the modern game, you think pace and goals from the midfield, along with a decent FF is all that matters, and hereby forget the importance of the likes of goose. I hear so many people praise the likes of J.Brown, Franklin, Roo etc. and we all forget just how important it is to have somebody with the ability to stop these guys, and this is where goose earns his coin. Remember his job on hall last year where all was red hot and just couldn't get near the ball?

If st.kilda don't do everything they possibly can to retain goose, i will be very, very disappointed.
good call fonz

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:the worth of the big goose is underestimated by many, but others are seeing sense in this thread.

absoforkinglutely

there are maybe 10 great tall defenders in teh competition at the moment, there are maybe 10 talls in that second run.

we have 3 who are in between being a great defender and the rung below

one wont be playing in two or 3 seasons, the other two are in their early to mid 20s with 6 to 10 seasons in front of them.

to blow an advantage like this is ludicrous.

as for getting a top 10 pick, having a look on the bigfooty thread regarding round 1 picks in the past decade, frankly there is a FAIR amount of hit and miss in the group.

we'be invested 1/2 a decade in Goose, throwing him away for a 50% of something that may be useful in 3 or 4 seasons time and a GOP like some folks have been suggesting is INSANE.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The saints need Maguire playing well net year for the saints.

busso mick
Club Player

Dan, you have a good handle on player worth. In your opinion what sort of contract should Goose be offered? IMO he should be offered a 2 year deal at no more than what Sam Fisher has been offered, if his form warrants in a year it then an extension is an option.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:Dan, you have a good handle on player worth. In your opinion what sort of contract should Goose be offered? IMO he should be offered a 2 year deal at no more than what Sam Fisher has been offered, if his form warrants in a year it then an extension is an option.
I don't know busso, i can' pull a number out of my posterior and say he is worth that or this, but I rate Goose when fully fit as a player of equal worth to hayes, goddard, kosi etc, and the press suggests they are worth 300k to 400k in general.

IMO a fit goose > fisher, thats just my opinion though.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:IMO a fit goose > fisher, thats just my opinion though.
both top players but have different strengths. wouldn't want to be relying on sam against the browns, tredreas, roccas and other such gorillas. goose is stronger and more physical. fisher is more agile and a bit quicker

spert
Saintsational Legend

Now we have a coach who seems to put greater emphasis on development, Goose may take the next step in 2008.

QueenC
Club Player

I have very few doubts that Goose will re-sign with you guys next year.

But I really truly and desperately hope that my club is one of those having a good crack for him.

We could do with a strong, talented, courageous player to fill that position........

Especially since our current out injured all year CHB seems to be getting himself into international trouble by being beaten up Swedish backpackers in Greece :roll: !!!

saintm
Club Player

QueenC wrote:
Especially since our current out injured all year CHB seems to be getting himself into international trouble by being beaten up Swedish backpackers in Greece :roll: !!!
Just read that on the Herald Sun page.

How do Melbourne footballers become involved in a brawl with Swedish tourists on a Greek island?? Definitely one for the United Nations!!

wildgoose
Club Player

Of course 5 clubs will be chasing Goose, if you consider his 05 form, he has the ability to be in top few CHB's in the league. He is still young, I would try to re-sign, but obviously not paying him ridiculous amounts though.

Give him a full pre-season, and he should again start dominating in 08.

And hack pup is out again, bowled without troubling the scorers.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
QueenC wrote:

How do Melbourne footballers become involved in a brawl with Swedish tourists on a Greek island?? Definitely one for the United Nations!!
See what happens when yo go out drinking with an 'escapee from teh Village People'. :)

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I know I will cop stuff here, but I reckon we overrate Goose.
Yes he had a serious injury and needs time, but he wasn't playing his best footy before he got injured either, we remember the 05 version.

Maybe he can get back there, but he is hardly the best CHB going round.

Fisher will finish top 5 B&F for the second year running, Goose has not achieved that in his career yet. Whilst they are different players, Fisher has achieved to date, Goose has only promised.

i don't want to give him away but he isn't in our top 10 IMHO

QueenC
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
saintm wrote:
QueenC wrote:

See what happens when yo go out drinking with an 'escapee from teh Village People'. :)
Yep there is nothing more dangerous and violent than swedish backpackers :oops: :wink: !!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

QueenC wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
saintm wrote:
QueenC wrote:

Yep there is nothing more dangerous and violent than swedish backpackers :oops: :wink: !!!
A case of Abba lovers hating 'Macho Men'?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:I know I will cop stuff here, but I reckon we overrate Goose. i don't want to give him away but he isn't in our top 10 IMHO
on 2007 form you'd be right. but i'm still hoping we'll see the confident, arrogant bloke who dominated in 2004-2005 come through after a full pre-season

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

richmond one of the other 4 clubs one would assume. No chance of goose going I reckon

Carpe Diem
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Goose will be good for us in 2008 at CHB.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

I don't think Goose will leave the club, especially now that Dal, Roo and Kosi are all signed up. They're a very tight bunch of boys and as Dal said when he resiged they will be taking pay cuts to stay together, just like they promised three years ago!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sheldon and Fraser had better get their act together.

Goose and X need to sign ASAP.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.