5 Clubs chasing GOOSE !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:carlton, melbourne, richmond and hawthorn all rate him, and are creaming themselves at a crack at him.
of course they are. goose in top form has smashed them in the past and they know his value.

jesus, we gave kosi and lenny plenty of time to come back from serious injuries. how about extending the same courtesy to goose rather than talk about trading him for some GOP hack?

Cam1lla
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:carlton, melbourne, richmond and hawthorn all rate him, and are creaming themselves at a crack at him.
of course they are. goose in top form has smashed them in the past and they know his value.

jesus, we gave kosi and lenny plenty of time to come back from serious injuries. how about extending the same courtesy to goose rather than talk about trading him for some GOP hack?
yeah thats true

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Nobody would like any player from any club to EVER leave. But thats fantasy.

Gotta give to get. The "window" is there for a very talented core group - Roo, Kos, Dal, Ball, Hayes, Goddard, Fisher, Montagna, Gilbert.........so I ask this:

Whats more important to you - being able to compliment this core with players that can fill the obvious deficiencies in the side to have a tilt at a flag in the next season or 2? OR

Leave all alone, recruit skinny draft kids and wait till they come on in a few seasons time??

Cause to get ANYTHING of quality you simply have to give up something of quality...........AFL clubs arent stupid...they aint taking a Brooks for Jolly for example.....

“Yeah….nah””
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

so we trade our CHB for an average ruckman... :roll:

sydney would shyte tthemselves laughing if anyone was stupid enough to offer Maguire for Jolly :lol:

Gm Disp Kck Mrk Hbl Tkl Gls Bhd F/F F/A H/O
Total 23 235 169 97 66 56 16 7 28 35 457
Average 23 10.2 7.3 4.2 2.9 2.4 0.7 0.3 1.2 1.5 19.9

stats of a superstar here :roll:

yep give away a young CHB and one of our best defenders, in a team that had problems in defence for an average skilled tap ruckman.

WINNER :roll:

NOT.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:so we trade our CHB for an average ruckman... :roll:

sydney would shyte tthemselves laughing if anyone was stupid enough to offer Maguire for Jolly :lol:

Gm Disp Kck Mrk Hbl Tkl Gls Bhd F/F F/A H/O
Total 23 235 169 97 66 56 16 7 28 35 457
Average 23 10.2 7.3 4.2 2.9 2.4 0.7 0.3 1.2 1.5 19.9

stats of a superstar here :roll:

yep give away a young CHB and one of our best defenders, in a team that had problems in defence for an average skilled tap ruckman.

WINNER :roll:

NOT.
Jolly would be top 5 ruck in the league at 26 - fills a gaping hole we have had and with Gardiner could potentially shove the footy down our midfields throat on a regular occasion.

Your stats - as they are often like your posts - are meaningless.

Im with Marto 100% - you keep overrating our players.......whats next we should never had moved Mcgough on??

Our CHB can only play on certain opponents, lacks leg speed, can only run in a straight line (as our former coach admitted on radio), has at times suspect disposal, and falls over a lot. IMO we already have an ideal replacement for the future in Gilbert with speed, good foot skills, great tackling ability......and hes developed faster in 1 yrs under this coach than any recent young player Ive seen come through for a while.

Your mentality will no question see a list that becomes stale cause you COULD NOT make a hrd decision - the very thing Port have recently said was a major factor in them being able to turn round their fortunes in a season.

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Talk about an underrated player. Maguire was in the mix for AA CHB for two years running before he broke his leg. He almost certainly would have got it in 05 if they were selecting using the current format. After seeing Nathan Brown this year, there's no reason to think Goose won't be back at his kamikaze best next year. At his best, he's capable of keeping some of the best CHFs in the league quiet, while doing some nice things with the ball himself.

With Max likely in the latter stages of his career, we'd be foolish to deal any of our key backs. Goose is far better than either Fisher or Gilbert at stopping an opponent. Getting Max and Goose healthy will free up Fisher and Gilbert to play other roles which better utilise their skills. Tall opponents rarely kick big scores on Max and Goose. They're not the biggest key backs in the league, but they're among the best.

Goose is just as good as Hunter or Egan when he's healthy, and he's younger than either one of them. He's only 23, and he's only going to get better as he matures. He should have at least another 8 years of footy left in him, injury permitting. We'd be crazy to give that up for anything less than a very special player, and I don't think there's anybody as good as him up for trade.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

stats are not meaningless, you talk up jolly, he may win a few hitouts, but from the occassions i've seen him, he is a carbon rod around the ground, and his hitouts don't go to advantage that often.

he a better version of noble, but not by that much, he is certainly not within 100 leagues of spider or cox, or even fraser, jeff white, sandilands, or even young mcintosh when fit...

i think you are chronically overrating jolly.

the only reason he stands out is the dirth of quality ruckman. with darcy, doc clarke, brogan, and a host of others retiring, gone past their useby date or out injured, he is getting a bit of time, but it doesn't hide the fact he is still marginally better than ordinary.

top 5?

ruckmen ahead of him would be spider, cox, fraser, white, sandilands, mcintosh, lade, brogan (if he can ever get fit).

our weakness in 07 was a leaky defence which SOME folks used to justify flooding, trading away one of our better tall defenders would not do us any favours.

Jolly top 5 ruckman? Lol if he could kick, mark, handpass occassionally and maybe hitout to advantage instead of palming to opposition midfielders he might be some good.

ackland 05 > jolly 07 as an effective ruckman.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Id take Hunter for Maguire in a flash if offered.

Im not saying Maguire is useless...what I am saying is that if a trade is there that fills a void in our side IMO we can cover maguire - we couldnt Riewoldt.

Clubs dont let good players go for zip - if you want em you gotta know wat your prepared to part with.

Maguire to me lacks mobility big time - yeah he looked good in 04/05 - the whole team did. This aint that team. I also recall Maguire having an extended run where he was close to be dropped cause his form over many weeks was quite poor..still the side covered him and we won games........bottom line is IF you want to trade for some quality dont expect to part with nothing.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

goose would do better in the ruck than jolly. not a tap-out king but would certainly give us something around the ground.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 16 Sep 2007 12:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:stats are not meaningless, you talk up jolly, he may win a few hitouts, but from the occassions i've seen him, he is a carbon rod around the ground, and his hitouts don't go to advantage that often.

he a better version of noble, but not by that much, he is certainly not within 100 leagues of spider or cox, or even fraser, jeff white, sandilands, or even young mcintosh when fit...

i think you are chronically overrating jolly.

the only reason he stands out is the dirth of quality ruckman. with darcy, doc clarke, brogan, and a host of others retiring, gone past their useby date or out injured, he is getting a bit of time, but it doesn't hide the fact he is still marginally better than ordinary.

top 5?

ruckmen ahead of him would be spider, cox, fraser, white, sandilands, mcintosh, lade, brogan (if he can ever get fit).

our weakness in 07 was a leaky defence which SOME folks used to justify flooding, trading away one of our better tall defenders would not do us any favours.

Jolly top 5 ruckman? Lol if he could kick, mark, handpass occassionally and maybe hitout to advantage instead of palming to opposition midfielders he might be some good.

ackland 05 > jolly 07 as an effective ruckman.
Get to the footy more is all I can say - and if you reckon I overrate Jolly........youve got rocks in your head even putting Josh Fraser in as a ruckman....hes actually a fwd IMO...certainly no dominant ruckman.

Jolly would be fine thanks.
or youd prefer we stick with Blake probably cause he aint a "krabb"... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:goose would do better in the ruck than jolly. not a tap-out king but would certainly give us something around the ground
you have just embarrased yourself Carl - off to bed.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

you think i'm kidding. i'd like to point out the massive impact a so-called tap ruckman like m. clarke had this season. blake was better value ... and it showed in our results.

don't worry teflon, it will all be sorted once the new board comes in

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:you think i'm kidding. i'd like to point out the massive impact a so-called tap ruckman like m. clarke had this season. blake was better value ... and it showed in our results.

If any board is picking sides we are in real trouble. Hope you are kidding.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:you think i'm kidding. i'd like to point out the massive impact a so-called tap ruckman like m. clarke had this season. blake was better value ... and it showed in our results.

the new Boards gonna dictate who our ruckman is going to be????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :lol: ...your 12yrs old arent you? seriously....stop making stupoid statements.

Personally...Id play Milne in the ruck cause hes excellent round the ground isnt he? :roll:

?

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Personally ... Id play Milne in the ruck cause hes excellent round the ground isnt he?
not strong enough, idiot

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Personally ... Id play Milne in the ruck cause hes excellent round the ground isnt he?
not strong enough, idiot
Well youd better get tour skates on down to Greg Westaways place to find out who our new FF gonna be.....its all Board decision now..... :lol: (we might get some more detail about their plans at least in this area as opposed to their financial wishlist stuff).

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

well, i'd expect fox to have a big say in a lot of decisions. very strong behind-the-scenes man is lindsay. has strong loyalties. doesn't forget friends ... or enemies

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:well, i'd expect fox to have a big say in a lot of decisions. very strong behind-the-scenes man is lindsay. has strong loyalties. doesn't forget friends ... or enemies
Lets just leave it at that Carl you have obviously been drinking and are rambling like a mad man.

btw - whenever Im on the toilet I always utter "you are now passing another Fox....." :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

hunter isn't a KPP, 81kp HBF, HFF.

closer to gram in style of play.

do you watch football teflon?

SHUT UP KRIME!
fisher_fan
Club Player

Surely Jolly alone isn't good enough for Goose.

If it were up to me, they should send down Paul Roos to assist RL in the coaches boss. And that would make up for the Hall/Lockett trades....

Oh and maybe Brett Kirk to, he would fit in nicely.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:well, i'd expect fox to have a big say in a lot of decisions. very strong behind-the-scenes man is lindsay. has strong loyalties. doesn't forget friends ... or enemies
Lets just leave it at that Carl you have obviously been drinking and are rambling like a mad man.

btw - whenever Im on the toilet I always utter "you are now passing another Fox....." :wink:

read into it what you like.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:hunter isn't a KPP, 81kp HBF, HFF.
Since when? I see a fair few Subiaco games thanks to Fox always carrying them, and Hunter always plays on opposing CHFs - Riewoldt, Brown, Pavlich.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:hunter isn't a KPP, 81kp HBF, HFF.

closer to gram in style of play.

do you watch football teflon?

I never raied Hunter as KPP - Vacuous did.......you might wanna (a) read (b) take it up with him...that said...

Many would argue Max Hudgton is not a KPP - yet he is....whats your stats prove???

Hunter plays tall and has done some big jobs on fwds - Riewoldt also. he can ALSO go fwd and kick goals......Maguire struggles big time here....Hunter is versatile....Magyuire is is ok for a Johnathon Brown type - put him on a Franklin, Pavlich and goodnight nurse.

Get to a game and get off your todger.

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Maguire to me lacks mobility big time - yeah he looked good in 04/05 - the whole team did. This aint that team. I also recall Maguire having an extended run where he was close to be dropped cause his form over many weeks was quite poor..still the side covered him and we won games........bottom line is IF you want to trade for some quality dont expect to part with nothing.
Most CHBs are slower and less agile than they forwards the play on. Egan, for example, uses positioning and strength to beat his opponents. Hunter's quicker than Egan, but he's nowhere near the physical freak that Riewoldt, Brown or Pavlich is. The key thing is positioning and getting your hand to the ball before your opponent. Goose does a really good job of that. Egan and Hunter also benefit from midfields that dominate and don't allow the ball into defensive fifty. We allow literally hundreds more inside 50s than West Coast or Geelong, and yet Goose's opponents rarely beat him prior to his broken leg.

The only people who would have been disappointed with his 06 were people who had higher expectations for him than what he delivered in 05. His 06 was almost a carbon copy of his 05. He was seldom beaten and he got about the same about of ball as he did in 05 and used it pretty much the same way. Most times when we lost in 06, it was because small or medium forwards got on top of our small defenders. Max and Goose were excellent throughout most of the season, with the exception of a few games.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Goose should be tried at FF -he's got the right size and can take a good grab. He played some good games in defence but as others here have said, don't go on 2004/5 form, its all in the past -the future starts in the upcoming pre-season.