Clinton Lightning Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Yet to prove he is even AFL quality yet alone future star. Should get another year just for the fact that he was pushing for selection at the end of the season, but season 2 will need to be a lot better than season one for him to be kept on after that.
Does anyone know if we elevate him do we have to give him 2 years like a kid from the draft or can we sign him for one?

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Yet to prove he is even AFL quality yet alone future star. Should get another year just for the fact that he was pushing for selection at the end of the season, but season 2 will need to be a lot better than season one for him to be kept on after that.
Does anyone know if we elevate him do we have to give him 2 years like a kid from the draft or can we sign him for one?
Can get one year.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Plugger are you on the turps tonight ?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
woooosaints wrote:
Riewoldting wrote:
woooosaints wrote:40 percent of his disposals this season were contested ball
What, all 59 of them?

40 per cent of F*** all is still F*** all.
maybe if he didnt spend 50 percent of the time on the bench and didnt break his collar bone
Agreed shouldnt be off the ground other players like Lenny and Dal should also come off. Give all players a go.
That includes giving all players on the list a chance to show what they can do at AFL level. I wouldn't be unhappy to see Riewoldt or Kosi given a run with Casey so that Brooks and Van Rheenan get some games under their belts.

If it's good enough for the Australian one-day cricket squad, it's good enough for the St Kilda footy club.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:Plugger are you on the turps tonight ?
I have been but this may have been my only sensible post. We can sign him for one year only.

luckysaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
I have been but this may have been my only sensible post. We can sign him for one year only.
i'd say he'd get it, just because there are a fair few in front of him to get the chop.

rexy
SS Life Member

luckysaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
i'd say he'd get it, just because there are a fair few in front of him to get the chop.
Agreed

Maybe this year?
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Jones is an interesting one, he definitely showed promise before breaking his collarbone, but as Barry Brooks knows, one game does not maketh a career.

Personally, i'd get rid of him as we need to recycle three rookies, either by promotion or delisting, and he seems to have the least upside out of himself, Geary and Eddy. But hey, i'm just a lackie that doesn't get the luxury of sitting behind the glass at Telstra Dome week in, week out.

He will not be retained as a Rookie, either promoted or delisted. I believe it will come down to attitude in the end.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The thing you are all forgetting with Jones is that he is a rookie, who cannot be given another year as a rookie because of his age. He has to be promoted or let go. He is not good enough to be promoted. When playing for the Scorpions, how often did he get amongst our best. And he was never B.O.G. Geary and Eddy should be promoted before him, they both have more upside, and are at least 4 - 5 years younger. Let him go.

Red
Club Player

At least he can get the ball. You guys get goosebumps over someone

picked at 9 last year who struggles to get the ball 20 times a game.

If he can improve his disposal he will be alright.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:If he can improve his disposal he will be alright.
You forgot the "McGough Law", no player can improve their disposal if they're a dud already.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Poor old CJones, get real guys..go and break a collar bone, let it heal a bit and see how confident you are a couple of months later smashing into packs as a small player..Jones will do well for us in 2008. Showed promising form pre-injury, tackled better than some of our much vaunted middle size players and contested and ran hard..probably why a coach would like him.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

his disposal rate is less than 50% efficient.

he struggles to mark, kick and handpass in the seniors.

now it MIGHT be a case of stagefright as he seems to go ok in the reserves by all accounts.

to date he has been terrible in the seniors, but if we gave him time i wouldn't be unhappy.

but PLEASE NOT IN THE SENIORS till he is ready.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

All of this stuff about how he can improve his disposal under pressure, etc. is all very well and fine.

But, in footballing terms, he's as old as Methuselah. It's too late.

If it's a question of his first needing to lift his confidence, and then his skills will follow, I suppose he could be given the benefit of the doubt and be signed for one season as plugger66 suggested.

In my book, the jury is still out on Lyon as a coach. But his comment late in the season that he thought "Jones is in our top 22" was one of two public statements by the man which have given me a sinking feeling about our future prospects.

(The other was the never-to-be-forgotten "I didn't apply for this job, I was asked to come here" piece of gutless weaselling at the start of the season.)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Can't kick, can't take possession of the footy, can't cope with pressure, can't make a tackle stick and is just a terrible footballer. Should never play for us again, but Lyon is in love with him so I think he will probably play at least 12 games next year.
Exactly. He's had his chance, and we thank him for his services.

But he should delisted asap.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

woooosaints
Club Player

meher baba wrote:All of this stuff about how he can improve his disposal under pressure, etc. is all very well and fine.

But, in footballing terms, he's as old as Methuselah. It's too late.

If it's a question of his first needing to lift his confidence, and then his skills will follow, I suppose he could be given the benefit of the doubt and be signed for one season as plugger66 suggested.

In my book, the jury is still out on Lyon as a coach. But his comment late in the season that he thought "Jones is in our top 22" was one of two public statements by the man which have given me a sinking feeling about our future prospects.

(The other was the never-to-be-forgotten "I didn't apply for this job, I was asked to come here" piece of gutless weaselling at the start of the season.)
i dont think he was saying jones was in our 22 just trying to let him prove myself and for a 1st year rookie list player regardless of his age i think he played great

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote: just trying to let him prove myself and for a 1st year rookie list player regardless of his age i think he played great
woooopsclint ;)

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

woooosaints wrote:i dont think he was saying jones was in our 22 just trying to let him prove myself and for a 1st year rookie list player regardless of his age i think he played great
Not even his own mother would have claimed he "played great" upon his return to the side after injury.

He is a poor kick, makes poor decisions, coughs up the pill with monotonous regularity, isn't as quick as he is touted to be, and gets few possessions.

Seriously, what is there to like about his footy? Back to the WAFL I'd suggest.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Given that we're now up to 6 delistings, we've got spots for 3 rookie promotions if we want them as well as our draft picks.

Unless we see someone out there late in the draft (i.e. the next Sweeney), CJ isn't likely to take a list spot away that we're in dreadful need of.

I'm not convinced he won't improve. Regardless of age, nobody but an AFLer has experienced the speed and pressure of AFL football before they get there. I'd doubt that he'll ever be a great kick of the ball, but surely some time to adjust will do better than 59% eff.

Not part of the best 22 in a healthy side, but doesn't hurt us as depth, and can just be delisted next year if we need the list spot.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
woooosaints
Club Player

we will delist ferguson and elevate jones hes shown more then ferguson has in 5 years

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Brooks FFS, get rid of this nugget!

If he survives the chop, it will be the closest i go to not buying a membership. Its insulting how many chances he has had. If sweeney had the time brooks had, he would he at least won the vfl goal kicking or omething, Brooks is ordinary in the 2'sand its a travisty that he wasnt delisted before sweeney.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
woooosaints
Club Player

if sweeney really wanted to be an afl footballer he would be instead he smokes isnt fit cant run out games in the vfl. he has attitude and disciplanary (spelling) problems he could of been great shame he didnt want to be

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Sure you're not getting Sweeney & Armitage confused? Sweeney had no problems running out games.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

woooosaints wrote:if sweeney really wanted to be an afl footballer he would be instead he smokes isnt fit cant run out games in the vfl. he has attitude and disciplanary (spelling) problems he could of been great shame he didnt want to be
how do you know he smokes?

Can say i have known him for years, never seen him smoke..
attitude and discipline problems were an issue but he tried very hard after falling out of favour at the start of the year.

Quite frankly i have no bias towards him (despite knowing him) he probably should have got the chop, but why in F**ks name does brooks survive?

How fit is he?

How good is his attitude? 2 coache now have refused to play him regulaly.

How long has he had to become something?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
woooosaints
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:
woooosaints wrote:if sweeney really wanted to be an afl footballer he would be instead he smokes isnt fit cant run out games in the vfl. he has attitude and disciplanary (spelling) problems he could of been great shame he didnt want to be
how do you know he smokes?

Can say i have known him for years, never seen him smoke..
attitude and discipline problems were an issue but he tried very hard after falling out of favour at the start of the year.

Quite frankly i have no bias towards him (despite knowing him) he probably should have got the chop, but why in F**ks name does brooks survive?

How fit is he?

How good is his attitude? 2 coache now have refused to play him regulaly.

How long has he had to become something?
i thought he was a smoker my bad