Okay, So Say Goose Maguire leaves.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Can't trade 2nd year players Plug?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Can't trade 2nd year players Plug?
No. They changed that rule 2-3 years ago.

Sam23
SS Life Member

FWIW - Carlton and Richmond are the next 2 inline with the money offerings...and are pushing harder than Hawthorn as in offering as more but not him as much....Still outpaying us though...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

So any reason why Thorpe can't be traded (apart from the fact that they don't want to?).

I was hoping he'd last though to our pick last year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:So any reason why Thorpe can't be traded (apart from the fact that they don't want to?).

I was hoping he'd last though to our pick last year.
Sorry that should have been yes you cannot trade 2nd year players.

woooosaints
Club Player

id say 1st rounder + 3rd rounder is a very generous offer we can use those picks to on trade for other players maybe jaymie graham from west coast?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Muston and Pick 14

and please lock Geary and Eddy on to our list.

gosaints
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:id say 1st rounder + 3rd rounder is a very generous offer we can use those picks to on trade for other players maybe jaymie graham from west coast?
Graham re-signed last week didn't he?

woooosaints
Club Player

dont know but i mean as an example a quality young backman who is surplus to a team like graham

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:The Hawks window is well & truly open for the next few years, Goose would make them instant contenders. Would absolutely effing hate that to happen though.
I don't think we're that far off it either.

we only just missed the finals despite having a first year coach and a club that was in turmoil for the first half of the season.

i don't remember seeing where we were in rebuilding mode.

keep goose and we'll be contenders too

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:dont know but i mean as an example a quality young backman who is surplus to a team like graham
we want a player as good as goose is now ... not someone who is surplus to requirements. goose isn't surplus to requirements anyway. you saw how our defence fared in the first part of the season without him

we were 4 and 7 at the turn

woooosaints
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
woooosaints wrote:dont know but i mean as an example a quality young backman who is surplus to a team like graham
we want a player as good as goose is now ... not someone who is surplus to requirements. goose isn't surplus to requirements anyway. you saw how our defence fared in the first part of the season without him

we were 4 and 7 at the turn
nobody is going to swap goose for a quality backman think realisitic players who are 21/22 defenders out of sides because theyre are better players.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:nobody is going to swap goose for a quality backman think realisitic players who are 21/22 defenders out of sides because theyre are better players.
why would we do that when goose is part of our best goal-to-goal line-up.

if they want him imo they'd have to give us a player as good as him and they simply don't have one.

you know why. good (potentially great) chbs don't grow on trees. there aren't too many of them around.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

goose is a priority signing but if he wants to go then there aint much we can do about it is there

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:Muston and Pick 14

and please lock Geary and Eddy on to our list.
Forget Muston ....Big question mark .........

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Birchall + 2nd round pick.

Hope he doesn't leave though.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
woooosaints
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
woooosaints wrote:nobody is going to swap goose for a quality backman think realisitic players who are 21/22 defenders out of sides because theyre are better players.

if they want him imo they'd have to give us a player as good as him and they simply don't have one.

you know why. good (potentially great) chbs don't grow on trees. there aren't too many of them around.
we dont have a choice if he doesnt sign do we

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i might have this totally wrong, but i think we do have some choices if he doesn't sign.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but he doesn't necessarily get to go where he wants to go if we decide to play hard ball does he?

for example what is to stop us offering him to the eagles as part of a trade involving judd.

or

offering him to carlton as part of a trade for fevola.

or

we doing a deal with richmond for some high draft picks.

what i'm saying is that we must lose him it is incumbent on the club to make sure we get something just as good back.

not just roll over and give him to hawthorn for some dud who won't measure up.

perhaps someone who knows more about the drafting, trading rules can enlighten me on what our options are ... what we can and can't do
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 20 Sep 2007 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

woooosaints
Club Player

if goose doesnt sign id suggest a straight swap for adcock hes a vic boy and out of contract at the lions

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
woooosaints wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i might have this totally wrong, but i think we do have some choices if he doesn't sign.

please correct me if i'm wrong, but he doesn't necessarily get to go where he wants to go if we decide to play hard ball does he?

for example what is to stop us offering him to the eagles as part of a trade involving judd.

or

offering him to carlton as part of a trade for fevola.

or

we doing a deal with richmond for some high draft picks.

what i'm saying is that we must lose him it is incumbent on the club to make sure we get something just as good back.

not just roll over and give him to hawthorn for some dud who won't measure up.

He has to agree to go to another club otherwise he can just go in the PSD. We cannot send him where he doesnt want to go because we get a good trade.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Adcock is a f****** star.

Fast, goal kicking midfield.

gun.

I'd do that deal in a flash tbh :oops:

cazper66

Goose will not go to Hawks

Foget Goose going to Hawthorn. Forget any player going to the Hawks for that matter.

An injunction prevents me from saying why.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goose will not go to Hawks

cazper66 wrote:Foget Goose going to Hawthorn. Forget any player going to the Hawks for that matter.

An injunction prevents me from saying why.
huh? what does that mean?

If there was a incident with a single player at that club I don't see why that would stop a player going there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He has to agree to go to another club otherwise he can just go in the PSD. We cannot send him where he doesnt want to go because we get a good trade.
i see. that makes it a bit harder. thanks for that. sorry woosaints, i can see what you are getting at now. i have a poor understanding of the trading rules

it's all hypothetical, but are we allowed to do a deal with richmond? They'd be hoping like hell he went into the PSD. they could give us a couple of high draft picks to ensure it

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

basically Carl if he was in contract he could be sent anywhere without his permission per say.

because he is out of contract he has to agree to go to the club.